Forums > Photography Talk > Nikon D70s now or D200 in a month?

Photographer

Jerry Bennett

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I can get a D70s now or wait and get the D200 in a month or so. Help! I can't decide! Do you think the difference will be worth the wait?

Dec 08 05 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Darque

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'm in the same boat.   So I am watching this thread with keen interest

Dec 08 05 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Good question.

There is a lot of hype about the D200, and even fake images were released (shown here as well).

If it's a REALLY good camera... I may just sell my D70, which is now my backup to my D70s and use the D70s as the new backup to the D200.

But... there must be some serious advantages of the D200 over the D70s to take such a step.

I rather get a faster glass for the short range.

Dec 08 05 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Bennett

My main reason for waiting is the metal body. I'm scared to death of smashing a plastic camera. Also, I read that the D200 works better with old manual lenses, which I have plenty of.

Dec 08 05 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

I'd get the D70s now and wait for the D200s.

In Nikon language s = it has been around for a few years, the bugs are fixed and it performs flawlessly.

Although I presently shoot with a D2X, when the D2Xs comes out I’ll be there, only because of my positive history with my D70s, F5s, N90s and F4s along with my friends experience with his D2Hs (the exception is my D100).

Any camera store will tell you just the opposite.... of course wink

Plus by waiting, you'll gain valuable experiance working with Nikon's DSLR's.

Dec 08 05 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Bennett

C R Photography wrote:
I'd get the D70s now and wait for the D200s.

In Nikon language s = it has been around for a few years, the bugs are fixed and it performs flawlessly.

Although I presently shoot with a D2X, when the D2Xs comes out I’ll be there, only because of my positive history with my D70s, F5s, N90s and F4s along with my friends experience with his D2Hs (the exception is my D100).

Any camera store will tell you just the opposite.... of course wink

Plus by waiting, you'll gain valuable experiance working with Nikon's DSLR's.

Good point!

Dec 08 05 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I think the answer is to ask yourself what you are going to use the camera for.  The D70 is a very capable camera and I use one.  It is also wanting in terms of some of the professional features I would like.  As an example, you cannot white balance in Kelvin temperatures.  It also has a five segment auto-focus rather than the eleven segment on the D200.  The D200 is 10.4mps -vs- 6.1mps on the D70 (although that is not much of an issue for me).

I am also not concerned about the plastic body on the D70.  It is a good camera.

The fact that you wonder if you should wait tells me that the D70 would probably do everything you need, for if you needed some of the D200 features, you would probably be asking about them.

I am always gunshy of buying one of the first in a new camera series.  But, quite frankly, as soon as I can get my hands on one, I will be shooting with the D200.

Dec 08 05 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Bennett

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
I think the answer is to ask yourself what you are going to use the camera for.  The D70 is a very capable camera and I use one.  It is also wanting in terms of some of the professional features I would like.  As an example, you cannot white balance in Kelvin temperatures.  It also has a five segment auto-focus rather than the eleven segment on the D200.  The D200 is 10.4mps -vs- 6.1mps on the D70 (although that is not much of an issue for me).

I am also not concerned about the plastic body on the D70.  It is a good camera.

The fact that you wonder if you should wait tells me that the D70 would probably do everything you need, for if you needed some of the D200 features, you would probably be asking about them.

I am always gunshy of buying one of the first in a new camera series.  But, quite frankly, as soon as I can get my hands on one, I will be shooting with the D200.

Can it white balance to a studio flash? Yikes if it can't!

Dec 08 05 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Jerry Bennett wrote:
Can it white balance to a studio flash? Yikes if it can't!

Duh, do you mean can you set your camera to automatic white balance and then shoot with strobes  Hmmmmmm, tell me you didn't mean that, OK.

When you set your camera to automatic white balance, it sets the camera to the ambient light temperature which is totally irrelevant to what is coming out of the strobe.  Put another way, it doesn't work.

You can do a custom white balance which will do its calculation after it fires and thus factors in the flash, which both cameras will do.

One of the reasons for having the ability to balance in Kelvin is that you can start your white balance with the temperature of your strobes.   As an example, I have two different kinds of tubes that I use for two different purposes.  One set is 5700K and the other are 5500K.  With a camera that balances in Kelvin, I can set the camera to 5500K or 5700K and use that as a base to adjust to manually, in small incerements.

When you use the D70, it gives you settings like cloudy or flash.  I have to go to the book to get the cooresponding temperatures that match the setting.  Kelvin is just more convenient.  But they both work.

I hope that helps.

Dec 08 05 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

PHOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Jerry Bennett wrote:
I can get a D70s now or wait and get the D200 in a month or so. Help! I can't decide! Do you think the difference will be worth the wait?

Oh come on of course u cant decide - u havent told us what ur gonna use it for! smile

The D200 is twice the MP's and 3x the price of a D70.  It lacks the vari programs and is much heavier.  It also is much more intuitive and faster to use for the pro who doesnt wanna dig thru menus to change settings, as many are now 1 button press from the left toggle.  Not to mention the gorgeous big LCD on the back....

Without knowing your useage patterns and budget there is no way to help u make an informed decision.

Dec 08 05 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

Not sure what fake pix were leaked from the D200, but the Nikon rep showed me a couple posters that were awesome.  The original shots are in their product guide, so I'm sure I didn't see fakes.  The blow-ups I saw were the steel guitar and the headshot of the female model...both equally amazing.
Anyways, I would say get the D50 now (save your money...same image quality...unless you want the better lens), then get the D200 in a year when the rebates start.

Dec 08 05 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

JBPhoto wrote:
Not sure what fake pix were leaked from the D200,

Taken off now, but you can see in the discussion what was pointed out as bogus:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=15337

Dec 08 05 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

iso200_bryan wrote:

Oh come on of course u cant decide - u havent told us what ur gonna use it for! smile

The D200 is twice the MP's and 3x the price of a D70.  It lacks the vari programs and is much heavier.  It also is much more intuitive and faster to use for the pro who doesnt wanna dig thru menus to change settings, as many are now 1 button press from the left toggle.  Not to mention the gorgeous big LCD on the back....

Without knowing your useage patterns and budget there is no way to help u make an informed decision.

The difference in resolution is negligible; horizontal image sizes are 3,008 pixels for the D50/D70/D70s and 3,872 pixels for the D200. This is a 27% improvement, not that big a deal.

Dec 08 05 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

www.pbase.com has samples and DP will have the review soon
or
Japan samples now lol
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/weeke … /2861.html

Dec 08 05 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Arturo Cantu

New York, New York, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

Wait. Im confused... who's Kelvin... wink

Dec 08 05 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

acp wrote:

Wait. Im confused... who's Kelvin... wink

You should be ashamed of yourself... you are calling yourself a pro and don't know Kelvin Klein?  sheesh... wink

Dec 08 05 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I have a D70 now and in about 6 months it will be my backup for a D200. D70 is a great camera and fill most of my needs but I like the D200 AF better and the sealed body as I do a lot of shooting at the beach and high humidity.
I never recommend getting the first batch because they often end up with firmwear upgrades and unexpected bugs that I leke them to work out first

Dec 09 05 12:02 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I played with a demo unit last week and there are significant differences compared to the D70. The viewfinder is much larger. It's not as bright as the D2x but it's damn close and definately easier to see than the D70. The AF is snappy and precise, it supports AI metering (woohoo no more guessing), most of the settings can be accessed without going into the menus (hurray), and there's manual WB via kelvin (yay again). It all makes for a smoother shooting experience though honestly I don't foresee a quantum jump in image quality compared to the D70.

Then again it's the holidays and my brain has ceased functioning rationally. I've been calling around. With luck I'll get on the waiting list for the first shipment and pick one hopefully next weekend (supposed to be released 12/15).

Dec 09 05 03:20 am Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

D200 in a month for sure.

Dec 09 05 03:22 am Link

Photographer

Daniel Kwan

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

If you don't have a DSLR right now, get D70s now, D200 (or anything else) later. Sooner or later you'll probably want to have at least two bodies anyway, and the D70s would make an excellent backup.

Dec 09 05 03:59 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

BTW what kind of lenses do you have? In the longterm glass is a smarter investment than bodies, especially so with the improvements in digital.

Dec 09 05 04:15 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

If you can afford the D200 in a month, buy it.  If not, the D70 or D70s is agreat camera.  /t

Dec 09 05 05:30 am Link

Photographer

George ephrem

Jacksonville, Florida, US

A friend of mine has a 200 on order, he has talked to a Nikonrep and of course he will be slightly biased, but word has it to be a really great  cam. you may also want to check "  dpreview.com "  also.
his should be shipping about the 15th of Dec
i'm still a canon man myself......

God bless...ge

Dec 09 05 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

George ephrem wrote:
A friend of mine has a 200 on order, he has talked to a Nikonrep and of course he will be slightly biased, but word has it to be a really great  cam. you may also want to check "  dpreview.com "  also.
his should be shipping about the 15th of Dec
i'm still a canon man myself......

God bless...ge

A Canon Man?  GWC = Guy with Canon wink  I'm a long time Nikon man ... will never change.  Their lenses are just too great to do otherwise.  /t

Dec 09 05 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Bennett

Lots of help, thanks! This will be my first digital, that's why I asked about white balance....

Dec 09 05 09:58 am Link