Forums > Photography Talk > painting portraits of models?!?

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

I have recently quit photography with models because I wasn't making any money off of it, I always got blown off, and I honestly didn't think that I had anything extraordinarily unique o offer anyone as far as photography goes.
So I starteed to think what else I could do and still some-what remain i the photography portain of art, and I came to the idea of painting portraits of models.  The photo shoots would still be needed, as I would need th epictures to paint the model, and I think I could make more money off of something like this than just plain'ol ordinary photographs.
I can paint very well, so the photographs will look exactly like the models.
As to my questions:
Is this anything that anyone would find interesting? either from the model or the photographers perspective? 
And how much would any of you be willing to pay for such a service?
And, again, how much would you charge as a beginning cost for something like this?

I'm not sure how to price anything like this,
assuming costs for paint, canvases and/or high-quality paper, accessories and supplies, mounts and frames (if they wanted that) and usually at least a minimum of 2 weeks to finish the entire piece (depending on detail, of course).

Any ideas or suggestions would rock.

Gracias.

Dec 09 05 11:06 am Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

Robert,

You should check out this MM member, Steve.  # 55857

~ian

Dec 09 05 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

nothing at all, aye?

Dec 09 05 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Nate Kalushner

Los Angeles, California, US

edit::
what is two weeks worth of work, worth to you?

Dec 09 05 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Images By Ijumo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I usually charge by the square inch and medium... pencil/charcoal being the least expensive, and then increasing in price with watercolor, acrylic and the oils being the most respectively.

you can see my price listing here http://www.senwotnellaproductions.com/d … e_art.html
I hope this helps

Dec 09 05 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

thanks.

Dec 10 05 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I would suggest you go to local galleries and see what the market is bearing in your area. There is a lot that goes into the price of a piece of original art. Much is based on the artist's experience, skills, exhibits and past sales record.

Since most models seem to have no money I can't imagine many being able to pay what you should charge for your work.

Dec 10 05 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

Weldphoto wrote:
I would suggest you go to local galleries and see what the market is bearing in your area. There is a lot that goes into the price of a piece of original art. Much is based on the artist's experience, skills, exhibits and past sales record.

Since most models seem to have no money I can't imagine many being able to pay what you should charge for your work.

This one pretty much hits the nail on the head.  Art is just like any other business - you need to know your market worth.  I started in the same position as you.  If I can offer some information that wasn't offered to me it would be this:
(this is not am evaluation of you or your work - I don't know what kind of work you do...  Just things that I've found keystone to my own personal success..  Take what helps you - toss the rest!! smile

1) You have to have an audience, a niche...

2)  In he world of art - ANYTHING GOES...  You don't have to uber skilled - there are many times when the artist themselves are far more interesting than their work...

3)  learn the laws that govern what you do..  Artist and photographers enjoy many rights under the law...

4)  Your work is copyrighted automatically - but I would suggest registering your copyrights...  Chances are you won't have the need to pursue legal action - but just in case - do it..

5)  You need to do this because you love to do it.  If you think this is an easy come up - you're wrong...  Artists like me watch the markets where weaker artist are doing business and set up shop.

6) Be prepared to lose money...  In order for me to make 4500$ I have to spend 2000$ plus the time it takes me to make artwork...

7)  Know that you will do far more "free" work than paid work...  I'm fortunate to have a 9 - 5 in video games and a client list that I service...  But before that most of the work I did was unpaid - it was simply work I did becuase I love what I do...  Even today when I come at night I still work on my own artwork and exhibit it form time to time...

8)  AIM HIGH!!!  Don't sell art to people that aren't in the loop...  Sell to art buyers, curators, and gallerey owners!!!

Okay I can go on forever and ever on this one but I won't...  Hope this helps out...

peace
CIP

Dec 10 05 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

OH!! one more thing!!! the most important!!!!

NEVER TELL YOURSELF "NO"!  NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Dec 10 05 01:24 pm Link