Forums > Photography Talk > Portable strobes & packs...what are you using?

Photographer

Edw

Satellite Beach, Florida, US

John Fisher wrote:
https://www.johnfisher.com/images/katjasittingonstage.jpg

Speedotron 2401A pack and 102 heads for the studio, W/L Zeus 2500 pack with standard head and Ringmaster ring light for studio and location, and finally an AB800 monlight and ABR800 ring light with Vagabond power source for location work.

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/alienbee1.jpg

Also speedrings, soft boxes, grids, scrims, barn doors, gell holders, octaboxes, reflectors, radio slaves and only a vague idea how to use any of it. I've got more lighting equipment than most professional photographers, and I shoot virtually everything outside. My most commonly used light? An on-camera flash. As my best friend likes to say, when my ship finally comes in, I'll be waiting at the airport!

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1ABR800moonunit4.jpg

Fish
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 423
Miami Beach, Florida  33139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

OMG! Can I hold it and can we be friends?

Question:

If you are at the port and your friend is at the airport, how are you getting home or to the place you need to be?

Oct 28 07 10:31 am Link

Photographer

S.Pierre Price

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

you want to save money and get that shot. Do like I do. Go to Autozone and get ya one of those portable battery jumpers...bout 40.00 Get one of the 150-250w plug in inverters...19.99 and then run what ever small wattage strobes that you have. i still use my SP 150's and that small slave unit. a couple of extension cords later you are done. Power supply is soooooo easy to carry around and can be used as a weight if fyou need to put some weight on you light stands. recycle time is great too, i am used to it being hot in the desert so it can over heat if you are busting off a lot of shots at one time.

Overall, it's a fun, cheap, and reliable set up for we photogs that don't have big pockets.

Scott

Oct 28 07 10:32 am Link

Photographer

S.Pierre Price

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

S.Pierre Price wrote:
you want to save money and get that shot. Do like I do. Go to Autozone and get ya one of those portable battery jumpers...bout 40.00 Get one of the 150-250w plug in inverters...19.99 and then run what ever small wattage strobes that you have. i still use my SP 150's and that small slave unit. a couple of extension cords later you are done. Power supply is soooooo easy to carry around and can be used as a weight if fyou need to put some weight on you light stands. recycle time is great too, i am used to it being hot in the desert so it can over heat if you are busting off a lot of shots at one time.

Overall, it's a fun, cheap, and reliable set up for we photogs that don't have big pockets.

Scott

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/Big_Blacque/_MG_4851.jpg

Oct 28 07 10:35 am Link

Photographer

saverio

Santa Monica, California, US

BryanSikoraPhotography wrote:
Elinchrom Ranger . . .

Quick recycle, great power . . .  love 'em!

right on.

Oct 28 07 10:38 am Link

Photographer

DiamondCreek

Parkton, North Carolina, US

AlienBees B800's, B400 and Vagabond II.

Oct 28 07 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Its All Good Photo

San Diego, California, US

Norman 2400 power pack and dynalite battery

Oct 28 07 10:42 am Link

Photographer

steve prue

Brooklyn, New York, US

oo! one of my favorite subjects - i love shooting outside.

- Hensel preminum porty pack with 2 heads (1200 watts total)
- dynalite uni400 monolight with jackrabbit battery pack (320 watts)
- strobist rig with 580/550 speedlights.

i love and use them all - different rigs for different gigs

Oct 28 07 10:45 am Link

Photographer

KC Photography

Crestwood, Kentucky, US

For ultimate in light weight and portability Nikon SB600 and a variety of small softboxes or umbrellas, just depends on where I am shooting and it works very well in command mode.

My preference is for my Lumedynes, I can use them with battery or electric power. Battery recycle times are a bit slow but not bad. I need to update my Lumedyne's my set has been road tripping with me for over 20 years.

Oct 28 07 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Life Is Great Images

Bozeman, Montana, US

Palasade wrote:
I got AB800's and a Vagabond 300.
I've never really driven it to the edge before, but as far as I can tell it's a good combo

Same here.  Seems well designed, well priced and works just fine for me.

Oct 28 07 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Have others experienced stand "blow overs" on location, and if so, how do you limit them?

Oct 28 07 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

I own an AB1600 + Vagabond, which I use occasionally. I've used a number of the 750ws Travelites with the TravelPak batteries (Bowens/Calumet), but the recycling time is painful. Having recently shot with the Hensel Porty 1200B, I'm fully sold on the higher quality and performance. You do get what you pay for!

Oct 28 07 10:57 am Link

Photographer

7imaging

Tampa, Florida, US

Most of my lighting is done with the Nikon CLS  - SB600's and SB800's

Oct 28 07 11:01 am Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

One SB-800 through a 42" umbrella. Sometimes a second one to light background elements.

Oct 28 07 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

John Fisher wrote:
https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1ABR800moonunit4.jpg

Fish
--
John Fisher
(305) 534-9322

Hey Fish,

What the hell is that thing attached to your face?

Oct 28 07 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Allure by LH Taylor

Austin, Texas, US

rp_photo wrote:
Have others experienced stand "blow overs" on location, and if so, how do you limit them?

One of two ways:  buy some sandbags from B&H, or hang your camera bag (or battery pack) from the stand.  I never knew why light stands didn't come standard with hooks to hang weights.

Oct 28 07 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Taylor Photography wrote:

One of two ways:  buy some sandbags from B&H, or hang your camera bag (or battery pack) from the stand.  I never knew why light stands didn't come standard with hooks to hang weights.

Right before this, I realized that using equipment boxes as weights might be the way to go.

Oct 28 07 11:11 am Link

Photographer

TomWilson

Reston, Virginia, US

2 SB800s, Quantum Qflash 5Td with Q Nexus NX, Quantum Turbo 2x2 Battery.  It's wireless and puts the portability back into portable.  Most of the time I don't really have to bring the quantum battery and flash because the Nikon SB800's can handle most jobs.  Cammander mode Rules.

Oct 28 07 11:15 am Link

Photographer

MannyA

Miami, Florida, US

White lightning and Vagabond

Oct 28 07 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

twilsonphoto wrote:
2 SB800s, Quantum Qflash 5Td with Q Nexus NX, Quantum Turbo 2x2 Battery.  It's wireless and puts the portability back into portable.  Most of the time I don't really have to bring the quantum battery and flash because the Nikon SB800's can handle most jobs.  Cammander mode Rules.

I have heard that SB800's can "melt down" during extensive use with battery packs.

It seems that Nikon did the inexcusable by not providing basis thermal protection in their $350 flagship flash.

Oct 28 07 11:20 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

Hey Fish,

Bob, this is my favorite Halloween costume, I'm disguised as a photographer who knows what he's doing. This disguise has the other benefit of covering my face, which allows me to wear the costume in public without scaring the children.

Pretty cool, huh?

Fishie
--
John Fisher
(305) 534-9322

Oct 28 07 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

John Fisher wrote:
Bob, this is my favorite Halloween costume, I'm disguised as a photographer who knows what he's doing. This disguise has the other benefit of covering my face, which allows me to wear the costume in public without scaring the children.

How exactly do you direct a model when you are shooting with one of those?

Oct 28 07 11:44 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Dan Howell wrote:

How exactly do you direct a model when you are shooting with one of those?

Good question, Dan. I speak clearly and use correct English. That's part of what gives it away that I'm not a real professional photographer. If the model is deaf, I sign with my feet.

Fish
--
John Fisher
(305) 534-9322

Oct 28 07 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Amedeus

Stockton, California, US

Depends on the job and the travel situation

3 SB800 (on quantum Turbo 2x2) ... yes ... you can melt the front of your SB800 if you keep recycling at full power, 1 second intevals for ever ...

Profoto 7b

Quantum T5D-R (150 w/s) and two Quantum QPAQ X3D-R (400w/s), all wireless

YMMV,

Rudi A.

Oct 28 07 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Amedeus

Stockton, California, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

Hey Fish,

Bob,

Looks like the Hensel RF90 to me ...

Oct 28 07 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Amedeus

Stockton, California, US

Amedeus wrote:

Bob,

Looks like the Hensel RF90 to me ...

Actually ... Alien Bees has a softbox for their ringflash too ... Moon ...

Oct 28 07 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I never knew why light stands didn't come standard with hooks to hang weights.

Because the knobs work fine?

Oct 28 07 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

GG-Deluxe wrote:
Elinchrom Ranger Speed is something I would like to buy. But I think that the days of proprietary branded off the shelf batteries is over and thank fvcking goodness for that.

I could get a Ranger Speed with 2 lights for around 3 K.

Will it power my 2k Arri Tungstens on location? NO.

Will it power my monolights/heads from another brand? NO

Will it power my Fan on location? No.

FVCK THAT.

Honda Generator - $ 1000.00

4 hours on a tank of petrol

Thousands of shots.

Powers my Arris, Alien Bees, Fan, and anything else.

Vagabond/Innovatronix as backup/additional power.

That's a lot to carry.

Oct 28 07 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

GG-Deluxe

Sure is heavy.

But Im strong not stupid.

Other features aside, just looking at power and portability, Elinchrom, Hensel, Profoto etc - their battery packs are very nice - but they take old off the shelf technology, package it and sell it to idiots (and guys like you and me) with an enormous markup.

Its a lot more sensible to use a pure sine wave generator or an innovatronix/vagabond type AC unit at a fraction of the cost, and when you arent on location use the same lights on AC.

Oct 28 07 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

RAW-R IMAGE

Los Angeles, California, US

Vagabond and three Calumet 750's. Can also run my portable Klipsch and iPhone/iPod sound system with the Vagabond and the strobes for nice background music on location.

The Vagabond charges my iPhone while it plays.

Oct 28 07 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Allure by LH Taylor

Austin, Texas, US

BlindMike wrote:

Until they break off or bend the screw.  Not to mention that they're only 3/4" wide--hardly a stable "hook" on a windy day.  They're fine in a pinch, but I don't think I want to bet a $900 strobe head (and $350 flash tube) on it.  If you want to loan me your equipment, however...

Oct 28 07 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

GG-Deluxe wrote:
Sure is heavy.

Other features aside, just looking at power and portability, Elinchrom, Hensel, Profoto etc - their battery packs are very nice - but they take old off the shelf technology, package it and sell it to idiots (and guys like you and me) with an enormous markup.

Its a lot more sensible to use a pure sine wave generator or an innovatronix/vagabond type AC unit at a fraction of the cost, and when you arent on location use the same lights on AC.

Generators and inverter/battery setups aren't as portable as dedicated DC setups. There are locations I shoot at that I can't cart things to.

Oct 28 07 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

Until they break off or bend the screw.  Not to mention that they're only 3/4" wide--hardly a stable "hook" on a windy day.  They're fine in a pinch, but I don't think I want to bet a $900 strobe head (and $350 flash tube) on it.  If you want to loan me your equipment, however...

I've broken the Alien Bee knobs just from tightening them down so I probably wouldn't try it with them, but I've been hanging stuff from my Bogen and Matthews stands and they're holding up strong.

Oct 28 07 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Old Norman 200 and 400B's  or Vivitars with power packs.

Has worked just fine for many many years

Oct 28 07 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

BCADULTART wrote:
Old Norman 200 and 400B's  or Vivitars with power packs.

Has worked just fine for many many years

As an offshoot of that -

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUNPAK-Auto-433D-Ba … 0132211493

http://www.khbphotografix.com/

They do modifications (bare bulb conversions, extra caps for more output) to Vivitar, Sunpak, and Metz. Interesting stuff.

Oct 28 07 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

rp_photo wrote:

Right before this, I realized that using equipment boxes as weights might be the way to go.

Milk jugs filled with small rocks.

Had a stand blow over from an unexpected gust and lost an umbrella because of it. From that point, I always hang a pair of milk jugs from each stand.

Oct 28 07 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

TomWilson

Reston, Virginia, US

rp_photo wrote:

I have heard that SB800's can "melt down" during extensive use with battery packs.

It seems that Nikon did the inexcusable by not providing basis thermal protection in their $350 flagship flash.

I don't run the sb800's off of the turbo 2x2 battery (only the T5d).  That would require cables and I prefer the wireless functionality plus there is no need for real fast recycle time with what I shoot.  Thats a demand that manufactures put on photographers.  I rarely run into a recycle problem and when I do, it's nothing I can't live with.

Oct 28 07 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

TomWilson

Reston, Virginia, US

BlindMike wrote:

And most sand bags and water weights come with hooks.

Oct 28 07 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

GG-Deluxe wrote:

I guess the implication is that the Elinchrome/Hensel and Profoto users are stupid, but before you say that you might want to recheck your math.  A good reliable generator is not cheap and you can't fly with it.  I don't know what fraction you are talking about, but you can't exactly compare an AB product with the other brands in terms of recycle, color/exposure consistancy and durability.

Personally, I have a older Hensel Porty (true 1200ws) pack I got on ebay for less than half the new cost and had a custom made cable that allows me to use the superior Profoto heads that I already had for my AC packs.  Even with a second battery it is about a quarter the size and weight of a small Honda generator.  I can carry it, 2nd batt. and profoto head in a tenba medium format air-case.

This year I also added a Profoto Acute 600b pack which is about half the size and weight of the Hensel (though a stop less power) which makes it very attractive to fly with and integrates with my supply of Profoto Acute heads and light modifiers, including the Profoto ringflash.  I can carry it and a head around in a Tenba long lens bag, including a speedring and softbox.

While it might be useful to come to think about cost vs. a single application; I generally make my purchase decisions based on the whole spectrum of my work both currently and down the road.  Factors like durability, weight and ease of transport generally trump cost in the long run.

Oct 28 07 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS

FRESH MEADOWS, New York, US

I now am playing with Broncolor verso, they are amazing.  I still have an old broncolor mobilite, that I never liked, and recently picked up 4 hensel porty premium packs and heads/ringflash.  They are nice and I will be using them for a DVD tutorial series as they are a good lower priced alternative.  I also have lumedyne which I think offers some of the best bang for the buck and is great becuase if the super small head size, I use them wih ac adapters often mixed with larger strobes since they are so small they fit into lamps on location or as accent lights where nothing else fits.  I have and have used canon 550 and 580 ex setups, and I still tell anyone who asks that if they want a cheap small portable strobe get a vivtar 285hv.  they are great within their limitations.  On some shoots I bring honda generators, I have two 2000 watt units that are great but heavy and smell of gas in a car.  Now that I am doing TV commercials more I am using more hot/cool lights and generators are becomeing standard and of course they are not 5000 and 10000 watt versions, but I never would have missed them with the broncolor verso, hensel, lumedyne, or even older broncolor mobilites, and I have played with the speedotron explorer which was also very niec just very large for what it does.

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com

Oct 28 07 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

dklee studio photo

Richmond, Virginia, US

2  Calumet 750's and the portable power.

i use to run a few ex580s, but i like the softness of the calumet... maybe i just suck with the strobes.. since the strobist  does an awesome job...

yeah, i just suck with lighting

Oct 28 07 06:57 pm Link