Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

do you belive in it?!?

Dec 11 05 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I think it's somewhere up there with the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus.

Dec 11 05 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

If it didn't exist neither would the world we live in and love....

Dec 11 05 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I admit nothing!

Dec 11 05 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

A bunch of C++ once tried to make me walk the plank, but I stole its cutlass and got away safely.

Dec 11 05 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

help me dispell or prove a myth...is there a branch of the justice department or agency that can come into a company suspected of using pirated software or software that is not intended for use and seize that equipment???...now before you think i am nut, i have heard a commercial with an 800 number to call if you think you know of such activities.

Dec 11 05 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

we should not talk about religion on this site

Dec 11 05 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Whats the Number?

Is there a Reward....lol

(:------

Hj

Dec 11 05 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Robert J Burnett

Saint Charles, Missouri, US

BCG wrote:
help me dispell or prove a myth...is there a branch of the justice department or agency that can come into a company suspected of using pirated software or software that is not intended for use and seize that equipment???...now before you think i am nut, i have heard a commercial with an 800 number to call if you think you know of such activities.

I do not think they can take there equipment but there is a group that does check whether you are using or selling pirated software I worked for a company who bought some to resell and he thought it was legit right up until the sheriff showed up with a warrant he had to go to court and ended up settling out of court for an undisclosed amount. oh and I do not think they are actually part of the goverment either they just work closley with several software companys like Microsoft and Adobe.

http://www.siia.net/default.asp

http://www.siia.net/piracy/default.asp

Dec 11 05 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

adobe and microsoft are my new enemies.

Dec 11 05 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Logan Seh

Lansing, Michigan, US

BCG wrote:

You are thinking of the BSA or Business software Aliance.... they are to software what the RIAA is to the record industry... only not quite as rabid...

And unfortunately they are the self apointed watchdogs of software piracy... And also unfortunately if you are a public institution they can in fact walk right in and perform a Onsite spot audit. to  Verify that you are compliant in your licensing of software, and if not impose fines of no less than $150 per incidence/percomputer....

Which then they can turn over to the FBI to become a whole Federal issue,  They also have been known to go after bigger businesses.  They can techincally get away with this invasive tactics because most of the software mogules have agreements with them making them an eforcer of copyrights as dictated under the license agrement that currently on most software goes into effect mearly by posessing said software even though you have not infact opened or even agreed to it.

Indivduals can keep them at bay... by the simple fact that they cannot barge into your home... due to trespass and siezure laws.... but they can get the FBI involved who intern can sieze everything based off a federal warrent...  And in the past 20 yrs I have personally witnessed 2 such siezures of computer equipment... 1 by the FBI and 1 by the NSA... and from what I saw it wasn't pleasent for the recipients...

Dec 11 05 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

they do not have authority in private business affairs do they???...*thanks God I live in a State in which i can carry a concealed weapon*

Dec 11 05 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Well... the simple solution is to simply pay for the software. I don't have any pirated software, and I don't "share" my software with other people. As a photographer I don't want people stealing my images, and in some cases I'd go to court to collect damages for copyright infringement. And its the same thing for those in the music business; it doesn't help bands to steal their music. Just because something is deemed "expensive," or is readily available online, doesn't make stealing it right.
  Having said that, I do believe these people do go over the top in "enforcing" copyright law. I don't know anything about the legalities of this practice, but I didn't think companies like Adobe or Microsoft has the power to enforce laws. Were they deputized or something? If the Adobe police were to show up I'd more than likely turn them away just out of principle... I would expect instead these companies to file a complaint with the proper authorities just as we would do were one of our images stolen.
   Anyway... I ramble now so I'll shut up.

-Pat-

Dec 11 05 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I only use legal software. I spent a lot of money on it (over $5000), but using pirated ones just isn't right. I also do not own any burned music CDs or ripped DVDs. My collection of music and movies is huge and they're all legally purchased originals.

Mark

Dec 11 05 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

You can't compare software to music and movies or any art media. 

Music was made to be shared.  It is a different beast than software.  Until the music industry gets over itself and embraces technology and the fact that the only way to license music is one price unlimited sharing, it will continue to suffer lost revenue.

I don't care how many song writers they say they are paying with the money they make.  I know otherwise.  If a CD costs under $2 to produce, where does that other money go?  The other $12-14 dollars?  I promise you it does not go to the lonely song writers.

Sony BMG knows no one will ever feel sorry for them.  So the "face" they put on piracy is that of the poor songwriter.

Dec 11 05 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

bencook2 wrote:

From a legal standpoint, they're almost identical.  The US Copyright law has some specific instances for "musical works", but the basis behind copyright for music, art, photography, literature, and software is the same.

Licensing agreements can of course modify that. For example, Adobe permits 2 copies of most of their software to be installed/used for each copy you buy, so long as they're not used concurrently. That's not required by copyright law, which would not permit 'live' installations. (Backup copies: yes. Live installations: no.)

Dec 11 05 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

joe duerr

bencook2 wrote:

You sick puppy.. Software, music, movies and your images are and should be protected by law. To say that someone who creates music does not have the same rights as you who produced an image or someone that spent years developing software is at best hypocritical and at worst malicious.

Dec 11 05 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

BCG wrote:

My fiance works for a local multi million dollar company which has a graphics and web design department. If a program needs to be installed on more than one computer technically and to be legal they are supposed to purchase a liscence for each computer they install it on. Well, the tech department kids in charge of handing out the programs were making copies for themselves, not aquiring liscences for each computer they installed stuff on and  Mr. Lawyer did in fact show up at the bosses office with a big stack of lawsuit papers listing all sorts of fines he would have to pay if it went to court.
I love that my fiance works there. I have access to all the newest photo and video programs, and yes, I get them all legally, part of a perk of her working there,lol.
My best aquisition was Maya, although upon opening it after install I think I had a stroke,lol.

Dec 11 05 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

joe duerr

If you are stealing software they will find you and put you away....

Dec 11 05 11:58 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

A good friend of mine works for the anti-piracy department of a large corperation. He gets emails from crazy people all the time trying to report some sort of piracy. Usually it is young men and or teenagers saying they know someone that has copied a computer game and/or software and want to know if they can recieve money.

But this particular guy contacts them usually once a week via email. My friend seems to always run into his emails. This one in particular made me gut laugh. I had to share it:

I, Sir ****** *. ****** LIVE HERE IN VANCOUVER, B.C. Canada and have done so for many years since starting UNIVERSITY in 1983. Before that I lived in Kamloops B.C. Canada the HOME TOWN of Avro Arrow's TOP ENGINEER DESIGNER and then Apollo Rocket DESIGNER ENGINEER. He could have be my father for all I know. I have UNIVERSITY Graduate course in Solar Energy Utilization and Fiber Composite Construction and 6 years of University education in APPLIED SCIENCE. And you treat me like a BUM. YOU ARE RUDE to THE MAX. And then you wonder why I am rude. The police have been flying all over the planet PRETENDING to be me and making me look like: SHIT. I have written my own patent applications and AWARDED patent but THE PIGS stole my money and I could not pay my FEES. They stole my cellular phone and all my motor vehicles and BURNED DOWN my HOME to destroy INCOME TAX RECORDS. They have PHYSICAL TORTURED me by way of STEALING my INCOME and have mentally TORTURED me by REFUSING TO DO THEIR JOB. I am EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT but NOT the GEEK as I know all ABOUT the BULLY.

To get an A grade on an math exam I would study for about one day. I am QUICK. EXTREMELY QUICK. More to come as good information. PLEASE ASSIST as I, Sir ****** *. ****** am INJURED and HURT and TORMENTED CONTINUOUSLY by the Liberal Party of Canada, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and my Family. As I am an ADOPTED BASTARD CHILD. My real parents were OBVIOUS killed during similar marshalling event at the first manned flight to OUTER SPACE. Some how my real parents were killed and my so called mother STOLE me from the Hospital. SHE HATES ME and says I own NOTHING and deserve NOTHING. She is INSANE. Criminal INSANE along with the Canadian police and Canadian Gov't. The Queen of England has GONE MAD and is RUDE to her death. I can not pay her VISA bill. They are killing themselves everyday. You people are running a 21st century Spanish Inquisition and are ILLEGAL. You wonder why you are killing yourselves trying to kill me. YOU are ILLEGAL. TORTURE IS ILLEGAL PERIOD.

From Sir ****** *. ******

He goes on to list 57 things that the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and the C.I.A. has 'stolen' from him including this one:

39) One trillion cubic feet of natural gas situated in Fort Saint John British Columbia Canada

Just thought I would share some laughs smile

Dec 12 05 12:24 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Kevin Connery wrote:

From a legal standpoint, they're almost identical.  The US Copyright law has some specific instances for "musical works", but the basis behind copyright for music, art, photography, literature, and software is the same.

Licensing agreements can of course modify that. For example, Adobe permits 2 copies of most of their software to be installed/used for each copy you buy, so long as they're not used concurrently. That's not required by copyright law, which would not permit 'live' installations. (Backup copies: yes. Live installations: no.)

No arguement.

But in practice.  TWO different birds.  AND, if the music industry thinks they can sneak into each and every computer...they are wrong.  Sony is having its ass handed to it right now for embedding tracking software in music CDs. 

The music industry already lost the battle.  Now they are in danger of loosing the war.  Single licence, unlimited use.

Dec 12 05 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Doesn't matter if it's music, software or photographs.
If you stole it - you stole it.
Just because I think a Porsche is too expensive to buy one I don't go around and take the next best one...

Doesn't matter if I agree with the companies/industry policies or not...

Dec 12 05 01:12 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Hartsoe wrote:
Doesn't matter if it's music, software or photographs.
If you stole it - you stole it.
Just because I think a Porche is too expensive to buy one I don't go around and take the next best one...

Doesn't matter if I agree with the companies/industry policies or not...

You are right.  But in the mean time, billions of downloads later, the majority of the world agrees with you in word...but does not in deed.

Dec 12 05 01:28 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

bencook2 wrote:

You are right.  But in the mean time, billions of downloads later, the majority of the world agrees with you in word...but does not in deed.

Yeah - I know... but I like the idea that I am not downloading illegal software or music or whatever and STILL can come up with the stuff I show here...
Makes me believe that I can deal with REAL problems or withdrawal when they throw them at me wink

Dec 12 05 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

yeah, but by ripping music CDs you don't give the the musicians one thin dime let alone the big bad record companies you pretend to be hatin' on...
and I know how much we bitch when we see our images other places and didn't get any renumeration.
The one major positive I see to purchasing my software is that, god forbid, something happens to my machine, I can reload all of it.
I do back up constantly but I know most folks don't and if your computer goes burp, you have to scramble to find all your software again
ah well...

Dec 12 05 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

I believe all software should be open-source and have a cap on its price tags by law. for example, something that we all use - photoshop. it should not cost that damn much. how about $50 a copy instead. their sales would probably increase more than enough to compensate for it. I mean let's imagine that half the people who get cracked copies instead got legal copies at $50 a pop. of course it's gonna improve their sales. I've seen people just giving out copies of Photoshop and other programs all over the place. companies have a monopoly on their software since nobody else makes the identical product (only one label will have a song by a specific artist, only one company will have the exact program, etc), and because of that think they can charge such high prices. Yet monopolies are supposed to be illegal. Gov't looks the other way on software, music, video, etc monopolies and trusts because they like getting the taxes from every sale and from the profit margins of all the companies.

Dec 12 05 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

BCG wrote:

it's the copyright enforcement people. and yeah they can, if they get a report of it, come in to check things out. but they can't access the computers without a warrant. if they get a warrant, they can view it, confiscate it, and charge you.

Dec 12 05 03:36 am Link

Photographer

Carl J Speed II

San Antonio, Texas, US

Sounds like you need to take some Accounting classes and learn about the concept of "overhead".

bencook2 wrote:

Music was made to be shared.  It is a different beast than software.  Until the music industry gets over itself and embraces technology and the fact that the only way to license music is one price unlimited sharing, it will continue to suffer lost revenue.

I don't care how many song writers they say they are paying with the money they make.  I know otherwise.  If a CD costs under $2 to produce, where does that other money go?  The other $12-14 dollars?  I promise you it does not go to the lonely song writers.

Sony BMG knows no one will ever feel sorry for them.  So the "face" they put on piracy is that of the poor songwriter.

Dec 12 05 05:11 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Alexei Fomin wrote:
I believe all software should be open-source and have a cap on its price tags by law. for example, something that we all use - photoshop. it should not cost that damn much. how about $50 a copy instead. their sales would probably increase more than enough to compensate for it. I mean let's imagine that half the people who get cracked copies instead got legal copies at $50 a pop. of course it's gonna improve their sales. I've seen people just giving out copies of Photoshop and other programs all over the place. companies have a monopoly on their software since nobody else makes the identical product (only one label will have a song by a specific artist, only one company will have the exact program, etc), and because of that think they can charge such high prices. Yet monopolies are supposed to be illegal. Gov't looks the other way on software, music, video, etc monopolies and trusts because they like getting the taxes from every sale and from the profit margins of all the companies.

Well, photoshop isn't expensive anymore and given out by almost any new printer which comes along...
But still - since I'm a programmer myself I know how much work and effort lies behind a few lines of code. So I ask you - why aren't photographs so expensive? Shouldn't they be all free? All we do is push a button at the right time. The rest is done by assistants, models, MUA's etc...

It comes down to one thing: You want the ultimate? You gotta be willing to pay the ultimate price...

Dec 12 05 05:19 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Mach V Speed wrote:
Sounds like you need to take some Accounting classes and learn about the concept of "overhead".

I have taken 3 accounting and 2 ecconomics and my History of Rock n Roll professor worked for Capital for 15 years.  thou doth assume too much. (or too little as the case may be)

The fact is the current system does not work.  It is moving in the right direction with services like itunes.  But even that has flaws.  It may sound like I advocate ripping.  I don't.  I want the people who make the music and software to get paid.  After all I am a greedy conservative.  Right now, there is too much theft.  The only way to reduce it (in my eyes) is to raise the price significantly but allow reproduction (which is going on anyway whether allow it or not).

Dec 12 05 09:51 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

bencook2 wrote:

I have taken 3 accounting and 2 ecconomics and my History of Rock n Roll professor worked for Capital for 15 years.  thou doth assume too much. (or too little as the case may be)

The fact is the current system does not work.  It is moving in the right direction with services like itunes.  But even that has flaws.  It may sound like I advocate ripping.  I don't.  I want the people who make the music and software to get paid.  After all I am a greedy conservative.  Right now, there is too much theft.  The only way to reduce it (in my eyes) is to raise the price significantly but allow reproduction (which is going on anyway whether allow it or not).

with attitudes attitudes like ashley simpsons prevailant in the industry, i do not feel the need to support her anymore...now i will BUY anything by Shakira, even if it sux.

Dec 12 05 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Hartsoe wrote:
Well, photoshop isn't expensive anymore and given out by almost any new printer which comes along...

PhotoShop CS etc is over $500.  Photoshop Elements is often given out as freebie.  Two vastly different levels of software.

And yes, to all of the above, stealing is stealing.  Not a tricky concept for those not ethically challenged.

Dec 12 05 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Dreams To Keep wrote:

PhotoShop CS etc is over $500.  Photoshop Elements is often given out as freebie.  Two vastly different levels of software.

And yes, to all of the above, stealing is stealing.  Not a tricky concept for those not ethically challenged.

I know, but who needs PhotoShop CS in a full version and is NOT a professional photographer/graphic Designer (who can/should afford a legal licence).

It's like buying a Ferrari and only drive around the block...

Dec 12 05 10:20 am Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Hartsoe wrote:
It's like buying a Ferrari and only drive around the block...

Hey, that's where all the hotties who didn't want to f**k with me while I was driving my Cavalier live.

Dec 12 05 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Alexei Fomin wrote:
I believe all software should be open-source and have a cap on its price tags by law. for example, something that we all use - photoshop. it should not cost that damn much.

Comare the above statement to:

I believe all photography should be provided with a cap on its price tag by law. For example, an ad in a magazine shouldn't cost so damn much.

It makes just as much sense. You think something is too expensive, so you want a law to put a cap on the price. If--and this is a totally hypothetical IF--such a law went into effect, you'd soon find that you'd have to buy dozens or hundreds of applications to vaguely match the functionality of any of the larger ones, and they wouldn't work as well because they were all designed separately.

You're also ignoring the aspects of software that have smaller markets. If a piece of software costs a million dollars to develop, and sells a million copies, the profit comes from the difference between the cost of manufacturing and distributing+($1 per copy for R&D). If they can only sell 10 or 100 copies, as is common in some vertical/specialty markets, profit would be that price in excess of COGS+distributing+($10,000-$100,000 per copy for R&D)

Photoshop cost well in excess of that. If you think it's too expensive, go with one of the many alternative tools: GIMP (free, has many tools), PaintShopPro, Elements, Painter, et-very-cetera. Nobody is forcing you to spend the money.

Or, if you'd prefer not to deal with a faceless corporation, hire an expert to write the equivalent of Photoshop. Figure it'll take him/her 10+ years of full-time work to get the rough outline done, then another 50 or so to fine tune it. How much did that cost you?

Alexei Fomin wrote:
companies have a monopoly on their software since nobody else makes the identical product (only one label will have a song by a specific artist, only one company will have the exact program, etc), and because of that think they can charge such high prices. Yet monopolies are supposed to be illegal. Gov't looks the other way on software, music, video, etc monopolies and trusts because they like getting the taxes from every sale and from the profit margins of all the companies.

Read copyright law and or ANY other intellectual property laws. Then come back and compare what you said with the facts. You'll notice there's a very low correlation between your claims and reality.

Hint: all IP laws are intended (if not well-designed or implemented) to benefit the public by providing economic incentive for individuals and companies to create and gain the rewards of that creation. Sure, some artists create because they must; others do it for financial reward, if only in part. Remove that incentive, and watch the well run dry: little new music, little distribution of it, little software created; few books: a very sterile landscape.

Be very careful what you wish for.

Dreams to Keep wrote:
Photoshop Elements is often given out as freebie.  Two vastly different levels of software.

And Photoshop Elements has more capabilities than PS 1, 2 or 3 had in most respects, and they sold for $500 and worked extremely well for designers and photographers.

Dec 12 05 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Well, I produce photographs, and I produce software.

If you copy my photograph and hang it in your home, or load my program and use it for important functions, it seems much the same to me, except:

1. You're using my software to do important things (as opposed to decorating your house), so you're stealing something that has a greater intrinsic value to you.

2. My photography has several thousand dollars of overhead to it, and with money having been spent on camera, software, accessories and such, my costs are relatively static. My software, on the other hand, costs me to provide ongoing programming services, support services, subscriptions, and advertising. So when you steal my software, you're stealing something that hurts me more to have stolen.

If Photoshop should be limited to $50 per installation, and they'd have more sales, why, then, just develop a photo editing program yourself and sell it for $50 a pop and see how much better your business model is than Adobe's as you put them out of business. That's how competition works.

And for my harshest statement ever on these forums, thanks to all who advocate stealing my product that I've sweated buckets and gone into debt to produce. What I'm putting on the market to try to make my livelihood with is no different than the farmer or watchmaker who take their products to market, just to have someone swipe the bushel or timepiece when their back is turned.

Dec 12 05 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

johnny olsen

Los Angeles, California, US

BCG wrote:

consider yourself reported smile (j/k)

Dec 12 05 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

I find the comments on the music industry and the perceptions those have of the piracy issue interesting.  Over the past few months I have been photographing, building marketing collateral and helping write Press Releases on a new technology that will be introduced Q1 06.

The biggest concern is not the consumer buying a CD, ripping it to an iPod, handing the CD to a firend to do the same and so on.  The largest area of concern is international product dumping, as in 10's of thousands of units distributed throughout the world illegally with no return to the artist or label.

Napster, gnuella et al were a significant problem in unauthorized peer-to-peer, but a mosquito bite compared to a snake bite that is happening overseas.  New technologies that thwart the practice by making it unaffordable / difficult to copy are actually good for both the labels and the consumer as non-sharing units create additional sales and reduces the overall costs by eliminating the high costs associated with fighting piracy.

As for software, technically speaking and if one reads the fine print in user agreements, the software is only a license to use, not ownership.  Software makers can and do perform audits and are within their power to do so, however most of those audits are at the enterprise level, not directed to the individual.

Dec 12 05 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Wow, I'm taking a bit of a beating here. Well it's a good thing i have thought of photography the same way as software already. That's why I have no problem giving a cd of images out to a customer. so they can print as much as they want as long as they're not making a profit off of the images. Also, with photography it's a lot easier to recreate the photograph than it is to recreate a program, so someone could make an equivalent of an "aftermarket copy" of my images by setting everything up themselves and reshooting it. with software, you can write the same program 3 different ways and it will work just the same any way you do it. So with software it is a lot harder to recreate the product. I will always have to have a day job, because i refuse to charge as much as everyone else, and usually do it pretty much for cost plus an hourly a little higher than my day job. because i think that it's fairer that way. But i shoot for love of the craft and art, which it seems a lot of photographers have forgotten. and same with programmers, they have forgotten that they got into programming because they enjoyed it and just wanted to do something they liked. To so many people in creative fields it is now all about money, instead of the art and craft that they originally fell in love with.

Dec 12 05 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

after the crap and hoopla sony caused over installing programs on unsuspecting consumers, i plan to buy all my videos, software and music supplies from my friend Huong Chang in the Hunon Province of china...*flips off the over paid, underworked execs at sony, adobe and microsoft.*

Dec 12 05 04:50 pm Link