Forums > Critique > I'll critique as if considering shooting you

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

San Francisco, California, US

ambersfantasy wrote:
Love to be critiqued. Go for it!

My first impression is the avatar, glam orientation, something I'm a wary of because there's so much mediocre glam. But your stats look fine for the genre and the profile works for me too. The part about site makes me wonder what the requirements are, because I only produce a few photos per shoot which isn't the best for site content which needs volume.

Your port jumps out but the photos are so similar in color, poses, and style - presumably because the work that matters is mostly 1 photographer. This is actually appealing to me, because it means you're a clean slate, so there's an opportunity to show something different. Your figure is good and face is nice, but I suspect there's more mileage to be had in terms of expressions.

Rating: Very good - I'd be eager to see what I could add.

Note: Thanks, and check out my latest casting call!

Oct 30 07 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Jacqui Faye wrote:
I am squeaky new...would love to hear what you have to say!

Looking at the profile, the face in the avatar looks a little strong for me, but I like models with performance arts background. They seem to have a leg up on poses. Weight and stats for the height is alright, although I usually shoot models a little thinner.

But looking into the port, I'm delighted to find that the faces there are mostly more feminine and softer than the avi, the figure would not present a problem with my shoots, and there's obviously a desire for quality even though the range is limited. A barely touched canvas that's very worth painting.

Rating: Very good, with excellent prospects.

Oct 30 07 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

cheryllynnh wrote:
Please?

I want to see images in a port that demonstrates they can pull off the looks I shoot. This is doubly important for models over 30, quadruple for 40. Your port doesn't demonstrate you can, the shots are not professional, so I'd stop there.

Rating: Incompatible

Oct 30 07 10:50 pm Link

Model

ZZADEN

Los Angeles, California, US

do me smile

Oct 30 07 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Selena J wrote:
Go ahead...would love one!

I like the profile and the emotions conveyed by the pictures you've selected. The only negatives are a little underbite in the 1st and 2nd pics, and waist is a little large for 5'5. 

I notice from your port and profile that you're very active. In your port you credit the photogs, have diverse looks, the work is tasteful, and the port is cohesive. In short, everything that you can do is being done right.

Rating: Very good - for being a smart model.

Oct 30 07 11:04 pm Link

Model

Sam_

New York, New York, US

I'm game wink

Oct 30 07 11:06 pm Link

Model

Jamal Shuriah

New York, New York, US

do u have time?

Oct 30 07 11:06 pm Link

Model

Samantha Green

Wahpeton, North Dakota, US

Please - with sugar on top! smile

Oct 30 07 11:08 pm Link

Model

s h a i

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

me please, and thank you!

Oct 30 07 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

NudeDude wrote:
Oh man!  Just the kind of review I've been looking for

I shoot female models, so the bar would be very high for a male model. I'd look for agency model, publishable, extremely well defined muscle structsure, and chiseled features.

Rating: Incompatible

Oct 30 07 11:16 pm Link

Model

J0SH

i was skipped from page two

Oct 30 07 11:19 pm Link

Model

Flawed_Angel

Herndon, Kansas, US

Could you do me too please?

Oct 30 07 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Taylor Victoria M wrote:
Go ahead...im game for your pov!!!

For my shoots, being a minor is a disadvantage unless you look like a fashion agency model, in which case it's not too bad. Your look reminds me more of commercial print though, and 18 is a long ways to go for someone who's starting out. 

I'd probably hold off shooting now, but would want to stay in touch and see how seriously you take all of this. Hopefully you're submitting yourself to agencies to see what they have to say too.

Rating: Wait and see

Oct 30 07 11:23 pm Link

Model

Call Me Migz

any time for one more?

Oct 30 07 11:26 pm Link

Model

Natalie Angela

Boulder, Colorado, US

I love you and your work!!!  (You don't have to critique me, I just wanted to say hi!!!)

xoxoxo

Oct 30 07 11:36 pm Link

Model

LifeIsBeautiful

Newark, Delaware, US

Still critiquing? lol

Oct 30 07 11:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

mariam03

Austin, Texas, US

Rue99 Photography wrote:

The profile looks great with your background, and the port looks solid too. Unless a MUA has a comprehensive port with a huge variety of looks, I find that evaluating their work is best done by either working with them or by reputation with people that have. That's because so much is unknown - what did the model look like before, what did the photographer ask you to do, how much did you decide to do yourself, how much work was done in retouch, etc.

Also, the very best makeup work is best seen at print res unedited, not these tiny web res photos.

The times I could tell a MUA was outstanding simply from their port was when the work was superlative from an artistic perspective - patterns and materials used on the face and body, unique and outlandish hair styles, etc.

Rating: Very good - based on background, work history, and port.

Hi!  Thanks so much for the comments and also even sending me a link to the thread!  My original comment had said that my first three photos were unretouched.  I ended up taking those off, because most people said the photography was taking away from my work. 

I do know that I need to add more than just beauty looks... I need avant garde and fantasy makeup.  I'm gathering supplies to try to delve into that phase now.  I've been doing beauty makeup for so long in a retail setting that it's a little daunting to do something other than "pretty" makeup.  I'm up for the challenge, though.

Love your port by the way!  Thanks again!

Oct 30 07 11:51 pm Link

Model

charles b smith

Neosho, Missouri, US

hit me up

Oct 30 07 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Angela Nicole S wrote:
Sounds like fun!

I can't think of a single reason why anyone would not beat down your door to shoot with you, except for fear of not being used because all your other work is so strong. But even if a pic never got a comment in your port, I'd feel privileged to have it in such good company. But to be specific:

Lots of exposure for the work, it's would be in outstanding company, figure and expressions are strong, height and weight are great. Only thing missing is measurements, but not necessary given your port.

Rating: Outstanding - to the point of intimidation.

Oct 30 07 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Elise Austin wrote:
Would you do me?  Thank you!
           - Elise

Stats look great for stated goal of glam/PB, although it's a little curvy for artistic although not excessively so. Your avi looks good so off to the port. The port doesn't bowl me over, but it's tasteful and shows promise although there are far too many duplicates. It looks like you want some more artistic, but haven't seen that yet. 

Rating: Good for now, potential for better.

Oct 31 07 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Talisman Langley wrote:
I'd love a critique if my port isn't too small.

Stats and profile description are ok, but every photo in your port except the last makes you look awful. I suggest you take a couple cell phone/point and shoot pics and put that in your port instead. 

Rating: Mercy Rule

Oct 31 07 01:32 am Link

Model

Lola_Xtina

Havelock, North Carolina, US

this sounds good, still doing the critiques?

Oct 31 07 01:34 am Link

Model

Leslie Harding

Ventura, Iowa, US

I'm down smile

Oct 31 07 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Xanadoll wrote:
i want in < :

Neat port, although the sleeve tat is hard to match. Fortunately, I shoot more facing right, so it's not too bad wink Stats are good, I like what's in the port, expressions are good, you're not overly shy, and lots of exposure on the forums.

Rating: Very good.

Oct 31 07 01:42 am Link

Model

Gidgette Love

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

me please if youre up

Oct 31 07 01:47 am Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Mallory May wrote:
i have been looking for someone to do this for a long long time!

go for it!

17 yo so there needs to be something special to attract me to shoot what I normally don't. Fashion model isn't it, and waist and weight are a little more for 5'2 than I'd like to see for my work. But the port is pretty neat for a 17yo model, so I'd ask you to check back when you're 18.

Rating: Promising

Oct 31 07 01:54 am Link

Model

Rania

Montclair, New Jersey, US

im in!!

Oct 31 07 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

TAM HEMA wrote:
MEEEE!

First thing I notice is 5'10 and a great face. Second is 135 lbs which is alright if it's mostly muscle, but too much if it's not for a fashion model. Looking at the port, everything is heavy clothes obscuring the figure so I'd definitely have to ask what your measurements are before anything else.

Rating: Incomplete

Oct 31 07 01:58 am Link

Model

Selena St James

Rue99 Photography wrote:

I like the profile and the emotions conveyed by the pictures you've selected. The only negatives are a little underbite in the 1st and 2nd pics, and waist is a little large for 5'5. 

I notice from your port and profile that you're very active. In your port you credit the photogs, have diverse looks, the work is tasteful, and the port is cohesive. In short, everything that you can do is being done right.

Rating: Very good - for being a smart model.

Thank you! appreciate the constructive critism..

Oct 31 07 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

NICOLE BECK wrote:
im in.  please tell me!

The stats are scary - 34" waist? From your weight and height it doesn't look like that's right. Weight is way too high for a fashion model at 5'8 unless it's all muscle. The first pic in your port is unflattering - the shadows add an inch in all directions. Checking out myspace for candids, maybe the stats are correct - too much weight in the waist and hips, although the face and height are nice. 

Rating: Needs work - If serious about modeling, lose weight.

Oct 31 07 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Shanna Banana wrote:
I would love to hear an opinion from someone with such an inspiring avatar. P

My jaw literally dropped when I brought up your profile - looks, stats, and age. I know you're signed to a local agency, but first thing I'd ask is if you've submitted to national agencies. 16 is the sweet spot for them, and if they like your looks....

Rating: Outstanding.

Oct 31 07 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Engel Schrei wrote:
ME!!! do me!!!!

The avi doesn't tell me much, but stats look fine. When I pop open the port, it tells me everything I want to know - art model through and though! I like the variety and story the port tells me too - you know what you like and where you're going.

Rating: Excellent - I'd be excited.

Oct 31 07 01:29 pm Link

Model

Xana

Titusville, Florida, US

Rue99 Photography wrote:

Neat port, although the sleeve tat is hard to match. Fortunately, I shoot more facing right, so it's not too bad wink Stats are good, I like what's in the port, expressions are good, you're not overly shy, and lots of exposure on the forums.

Rating: Very good.

Yay! glad you likey< :

I LOVEE your port!

Oct 31 07 03:28 pm Link

Model

notme333

Oooh! Oooh! Over here! Me! Pick me!

Oct 31 07 05:14 pm Link

Model

T i m e l e s sN i k ki

Seattle, Washington, US

Rue99 Photography wrote:

The stats are scary - 34" waist? From your weight and height it doesn't look like that's right. Weight is way too high for a fashion model at 5'8 unless it's all muscle. The first pic in your port is unflattering - the shadows add an inch in all directions. Checking out myspace for candids, maybe the stats are correct - too much weight in the waist and hips, although the face and height are nice. 

Rating: Needs work - If serious about modeling, lose weight.

well if you are telling me to be a rail if im serious about modeling that is not going to happen. i have always had curves & i work out on a regular basis.  honestly, i would rather have a nice ass than a flat skinny rail of a body.  i don't think you have to be a rail in order to be a model.  i have nice curves & a lot of my weight is muscle because i have always been active.  i made the charts in h.s. for squats, i played basketball & i ran track.  i think maybe your opinion is a little twisted.  i did ask your opinion i just can't say i agree with it so i had to tell you mine.  i think that a lot of models are anorexic & have major eating disorders because of the stereotype that people think they should just be skin & bones which in my opinion & im sure many others is not very attractive.

Oct 31 07 05:27 pm Link

Model

T i m e l e s sN i k ki

Seattle, Washington, US

ok so my stats were wrong.  its actually 29 for my waist.  34 for hips.  i measured it wrong in the 1st place.

Oct 31 07 10:22 pm Link

Model

Shanna Banana

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, US

Rue99 Photography wrote:

My jaw literally dropped when I brought up your profile - looks, stats, and age. I know you're signed to a local agency, but first thing I'd ask is if you've submitted to national agencies. 16 is the sweet spot for them, and if they like your looks....

Rating: Outstanding.

Wow, thanks! I signed with a big NY agency over the summer, but they decided a month later I was too heavy. I respect their decision, but it wasn't fun. tongue I have a very athletic dancer's body, so I have a hard time losing inches for measurements, I just convert fat into muscle.
But at least I'm 5'11. You can't really get mad at that.

Oct 31 07 10:32 pm Link

Model

Eleisha Jemuel

BLUE JAY, California, US

I want some i just did a photoshoot recently and need some advice

Oct 31 07 10:34 pm Link

Model

New York, New York, US

Check me. What do you think?

Jewel

Oct 31 07 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

NICOLE BECK wrote:
....stuff deleted....
i did ask your opinion i just can't say i agree with it so i had to tell you mine.  i think that a lot of models are anorexic & have major eating disorders because of the stereotype that people think they should just be skin & bones which in my opinion & im sure many others is not very attractive.

Perhaps you should post in the validation forum, rather than the critique forum.

Nov 01 07 01:05 am Link