Forums > General Industry > ::::Photographer Question::::

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

so i get this email from this lovely young woman..she is interested in working with me..now not being a "TFPer" it easy to politely decline her..

but as it happens, she appears a perfect fit for a client that i am testing with for swimwear catalog/brochure and website.....

he is also looking for a featured model..this gig could prove to land this girl some serious green and national attention..

now while i have some creative input in the selection of the model...it is of course the clients choice..

heres my delema..i went to her profile and its filled with images from an association of photographers that have made a carreer out of slamming me for my past associations...

do you think this is a matter of what goes around..comes around?
she wont make or break my test..my skills will do that..
but i have a problem offering something so valuable, to what is apprently, an ally of my enemies....

your thoughts?

May 27 05 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Imagine the irony if the shoot goes fantastic and the model raves about you.  Game, set, match.

May 27 05 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Goodwin

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Nice work Doug!  Stay focused.  She wants to work with you, you see a benefit to working with her, the rest of it doesn't matter.  I bet you have already answered your own question. 

May 27 05 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ah - this is a perfect example of what professionalism is all about. Be the bigger man and do what you know is right. It's a win win situation for you. The client will be happy, the model will be happy and the those photographers, well guess what. When they say I shot this girl, she's in my book, the question will come up, who shot the ad? -lol

May 27 05 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

You are #1 without you nothing Exists!
The rest does not matter!!

May 27 05 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
so i get this email from this lovely young woman..she is interested in working with me..now not being a "TFPer" it easy to politely decline her..

but as it happens, she appears a perfect fit for a client that i am testing with for swimwear catalog/brochure and website.....

he is also looking for a featured model..this gig could prove to land this girl some serious green and national attention..

now while i have some creative input in the selection of the model...it is of course the clients choice..

heres my delema..i went to her profile and its filled with images from an association of photographers that have made a carreer out of slamming me for my past associations...

but i have a problem offering something so valuable, to what is apprently, an ally of my enemies....

your thoughts?

Doug, some things to consider, which you may already have.

1) The e-mail could be sent by her manager, or photographer to eff with your head. Get you all hyped up and then, bam, cut off communications

2) This could be the perfect opportunity for you to "one up" the guys who slammed you. FYI, It could be, they are recommending you behind the scenes as a peace offering and, or as an acknowledgment of your photography skills.

Lastly, it could be she just likes your work and wants to give you a chance. Whichever the case, go for it anyway and see where it pans out in the end.

May 27 05 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

DavidTroyan Photography

San Diego, California, US

Hey Doug, Don't worry about what the other Shooters think.
Your gettin the BIZ, and they are 'NOT" It's your gig, and your a big boy, handle it the way you see fit..
DTMPcr

May 27 05 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 
Doug, some things to consider, which you may already have.

1) The e-mail could be sent by her manager, or photographer to eff with your head. Get you all hyped up and then, bam, cut off communications

2) This could be the perfect opportunity for you to "one up" the guys who slammed you. FYI, It could be, they are recommending you behind the scenes as a peace offering and, or as an acknowledgment of your photography skills.

Lastly, it could be she just likes your work and wants to give you a chance. Whichever the case, go for it anyway and see where it pans out in the end.

i of course handle things the way i do..so my posting was more about how others would handle this type situation..

much like the models that blew me off early, but are now  asking for my time..forgetting thier previous rudness..i usually handle things in a professional manner..

with your manager thought..i was actually on the phone with a model about a year ago..i was sitting at my comptuer and an email popped up from her..i was like hey, i just got an email from you..well it was from her online manager pretening to be her..she was mad..the end of that manager arraigment..

May 27 05 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

The Ybor city scam forecast warning system says to tell her why you will not be working with her as people (models included) are known by the company they keep and If she wants to distance herself from Video game and counter terrorism experts you might consider it.

May 27 05 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Dan Hood: 
The Ybor city scam forecast warning system says to tell her why you will not be working with her as people (models included) are known by the company they keep and If she wants to distance herself from Video game and counter terrorism experts you might consider it. 

you are freaken hysterical and you pay way to close attention to things...

May 27 05 04:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

your thoughts?

It's not fair to make the model pay for the mistakes of  others.  I recently had a situation where a model was a very close friend to a stylist that has made a career out of slamming me. I was put in a situation of helping chose the model for the paid shoot she normally does.  Part of me wanted to say "NO NO NO, DONT USE HER!"  This is my chance to show both of them the final finger. I decided against it, I decided to just stay out of the decision making process and not even offer and opinion other then "they are both great"  because the bottom line is, the model never intended to hurt me and though I question her taste in friends that has nothing to do with her ability as a model and I don't think it should be held against her.

I think your responsability is always to the paying client and looking out for their interest not yours would be taking the higher road.

May 27 05 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

May 27 05 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

What do you mean by testing with a client? Shooting on spec? Or you have the gig but are testing aspects or approaches to the shoot?

May 27 05 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Aaron_H: 
What do you mean by testing with a client? Shooting on spec? Or you have the gig but are testing aspects or approaches to the shoot?

i have a pile of clothes in my studio from the client, the client wants me to shoot models, in the clothes, in different styles..while i haven't been retained yet, if he likes my work, i will be hired to shoot the catalog and brochures..if he likes images from the shoot and wants to use them, i will be compensated my commercial rates..it is an audition.
but could be a paid audition. do you like a differnet word then testing?

May 27 05 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by Aaron_H: 

i have a pile of clothes in my studio from the client, the client wants me to shoot models, in the clothes, in different styles..while i haven't been retained yet, if he likes my work, i will be hired to shoot the catalog and brochures..if he likes images from the shoot and wants to use them, i will be compensated my commercial rates..it is an audition.

I was trying to clarify what the scenario was. For further clarification, you're saying it could be a paid audition meaning because if he ends up wanting to use some of your images, but not hire you to shoot the catelog, you'll end up having been paid, essentially as stock, for the images he chose? If that's the situation, then yes, I'd call that shooting on spec (a whole 'nother can of worms) not testing in the ways that I've always understood it.

May 27 05 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

piers

London, Arkansas, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey:   do you like a differnet word then testing?

That sounds like shooting on spec not testing, and you and the model should be getting paid for it, even if the client doesn't use or even like the pictures - and paid more if they do.

May 27 05 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Aaron_H: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by Aaron_H: 

I was trying to clarify what the scenario was. For further clarification, you're saying it could be a paid audition meaning because if he ends up wanting to use some of your images, but not hire you to shoot the catelog, you'll end up having been paid, essentially as stock, for the images he chose? If that's the situation, then yes, I'd call that shooting on spec (a whole 'nother can of worms) not testing in the ways that I've always understood it.

yes, the images created in the test could be used becasue they are quality images. in order to best highight my work, i had one of the best MUAs in florida working with me on the shoot..funny i have offered the shoot to several online models without a response...

see when i shoot "on spec"..i am given a scenario and i provide the imagery..

when i shoot stock..i usually hire a model for a few hours and create images that traditionally sell well with the photo buyers i deal with...

i am sure theres a glossary of terms for the industry somewhere, but i haven't found it yet.

May 27 05 05:46 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I agree with Mary. I see no reason why her association with people you've had problems with in the past shoudl have a bearin on the situation. She's not the one who was causing youtrouble form what I undrstand of your post, rioght? I simply don't dig guilt by association.

May 27 05 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by piers: 

That sounds like shooting on spec not testing, and you and the model should be getting paid for it, even if the client doesn't use or even like the pictures - and paid more if they do.

i expect to earn business and becasue i dont have an established name in the apparel industry, i was willing to prove my worth first. so as for what i "should be getting"..thats kinda my call..i get to decided whats worth what..you also have to into account..a lot of my competition for these kinds of jobs work for tearsheets...

now i get a couple catalogs under my belt..your damn straight their not seeing anything, before they anty up..

May 27 05 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by theda: 
I simply don't dig guilt by association.

and that would be my point exactley...dont judge me for the actions of another...but i have been..

May 27 05 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by theda: 

and that would be my point exactley...dont judge me for the actions of another...but i have been..

Just watch out for spies.

May 27 05 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Dan Hood: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by theda: 

i dont know what your talking about..spies? what spies?

May 27 05 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by piers: 

Thank you Piers! More to say but no time now

May 27 05 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by theda: 
I agree with Mary. I see no reason why her association with people you've had problems with in the past shoudl have a bearin on the situation. She's not the one who was causing you trouble form what I undrstand of your post, rioght? I simply don't dig guilt by association.

Same here Theda. Guilt by association. Wow. Hard to believe people do this. It seems to have a parallel with racism.

May 27 05 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by Dan Hood: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by theda: 

i dont know what your talking about..spies? what spies?

Shhhhh dont you hear them!!??

May 27 05 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Shoot her and show the fuckers who runs the show.

I know alot of local photographers who will not shoot with this model or that model, because she worked with this photographer or that photographer.

I will shoot them all turn those mothers out!  Well at all of them though, lol.

May 28 05 04:53 am Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

your thoughts?

As was stated many times... what's the problem. It's a matter of redemption. And is she REALLY allied with them or just an innocent involvement.

Handle your business player. Get her this big gig and then what can your enemies say? Not a thing! At least not to her!

I just recently snagged two of one of my enemies BEST models, and they are doing MUCH better with me than they had been over the last year with them. How much bad shit can he or anyone say about me NOW? No matter what they say about me these girls simply say, "Here's my check from you. Here's my check from HIM!"

Get your paper and forget about the haters. UNLESS of course they speak the truth. Then that's another matter.

Turn those mothers out eh VM???? Old MC Hammer fan are we? LOL

May 28 05 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Doug..........just shoot her! big_smile

I could CARE less what other people say about other photog`s or me, or anything there`s so many jealous haters in this biz, let YOUR work show the rest what`s up......I say "BLOW HER UP" and FUCK what the other guys think or say....

I don`t let any words get in the way of any work and anything......actions and your portfolio SPEAK louder than any bullshit or heresay

Rock on!

Tom

May 31 05 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Panic

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

i read the first post and a few more... not the whole thread.  heres my 2 cents for what its worth

its the f'ing internet!  get over it... if you are in the position to profit and / or live from the skill and talent you have, who cares what others say about you on some website somewhere... you are doing what is important to you - putting food on the table and being creative

May 31 05 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

your thoughts?

He he he ... Yep,... I can relate to this..  Up here by me,...there are a few photogs who I don't care for all that much.. one who is known for being an asshole to models,...(many models report having problems while shooting with him)...and then there are the "out there" folks who are off in their own little world.....pretending to be aligned with some sort of affiliation (where only they are the only member)...in order to sound more professional.. (i guess).. and or to get checks to waste their time with him.....and so,..I see that they think they are all hot and cool... and shooting with models....and then I sort of make it a point of seeing if they would be interested in a test shoot of sorts..  ;-)   There is no better way to mess with someone other than "shareing" affiliates..  ;-)

I don't know exactly what is going down, but just look out for No. 1

JP

May 31 05 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

I don't think that because she did some work with photographers A and B that she would be their ally.  Maybe she only had several hours contact with these guyes while she did the shoot and never gave them a second thought.  I'd treat it as a sincere request and go from there.

But then again, I don't know the photographers that you refered to and thus don't know the lows they're capable of stooping to.

Let us know how it turns out.

Jun 02 05 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

If you really want to get even with the photogs (or others) she worked with before, shoot her and turn out better better product than they did. 

She'll rave about you, you will look more professional for taking the high road, and you make THEM look bad for having slammed you.

Sounds like a win/win scenario to me.

Jun 02 05 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

As she had nothing (I assume) to do with your past associates behavior, be a professional that you are and shoot her - she's not the person you have hard feelings against; it's the other guys/women.  Shoot her, she likes your work, and it's a win/win suition.

Jun 02 05 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Joe Tomasone: 

come on joe, at least put something in your post....

Jun 04 05 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

The hell with those jerks, it shouldn't be a personal issue (I know, easier said than done). They shouldn't effect your professional decision on pleasing the client if this model fits the bill. And if she gets a big break that comes thru your efforts imagine how those asses will feel. You don't get too far without taking chances, go for it. Hey, no matter what you do their still going to be your enemies, right?

Jun 04 05 06:36 pm Link