Forums > General Industry > Message to MODELS!!!

Model

AshleyDanielle

West Hollywood, California, US

I just found out that one of the photographers i worked with from OMP is a registered and convicted sex offender/child molester. Not a pretty rap sheet.

This is exactly why I take a chaperone to all my shoots. This is exactly why I suggest to all the models I know not to go to a shoot without someone with them. I know photographers will probably hate me for saying this, but DON'T GO ALONE!! you never know!

If you can't get a chaperone and have a shoot set up, reschedule till you can take someone. Before you agree to a shoot put one in place would be best before agreeing for the shoot. Safety in this profession should come first.

I worked with him when I was starting out. I have learned a lot since then and I check out everyone I work with. I had not checked him out to that extent.

For you new models starting out.. please PLEASE be very careful. Being online and being on a modeling site is not protection against foul play. I just had to say something cuz I don't want to see anyone hurt. Check references, be prepared for anything, so you can have a great shoot with wonderful photographers that are in this for the work and not to take advantage of you.

Ashley

May 29 05 02:23 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Very good advice...dang that must have made your heart skip 2 beats to find that out after the fact!

May 29 05 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

and were you harmed by this photographer?

a friend of mine was arrested for streaking in 1978..he is in effect a "convicted sex offender", well as far as the sate of NJ is concerned..

its always good idea to be cautious and check references, but also remember you are more likely to be harmed by someone you know and trust then a professional photographer..

another thought is most commercial shoots dont allow for non-essential personel..they will not allow you to bring body guards..

just a thought...

May 29 05 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Here is the FBI page that lists a link to every state's sex offender web site and search. Every state has this and anyone can check it. It will give you all the info on any convicted sex offender, even their address.

Use it.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cid/cac/states.htm

May 29 05 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

All this Sex offender info (at least in CA) is available to the public... and as easy as going to a website or a local police department to find out..

And yes there are some things you can get that rap for that are not having to do with children..

May 29 05 02:54 pm Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

this made my stomach turn and sent chills up my spine.

No, I was not hurt by this photographer because I had my mother as my chaperone on this shoot. Also I know self defense (which every girl should learn in my book) which i feel is helpful but not full proof.

Never know what may have happened tho if no one was with me.

he has 7 counts of child molestation

this is what i could read next to his photo on meganslaw site

Offense Code
Description
288(b)(1) LEWD OR LASCIVIOUS ACTS WITH CHILD UNDER 14 YEARS W/FORCE
288a(b)(1) ORAL COPULATION WITH PERSON UNDER 18 YEARS
647.6 ANNOY/MOLEST CHILDREN
647.6(a) ANNOY/MOLEST CHILDREN

May 29 05 02:54 pm Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

its always good idea to be cautious and check references, but also remember you are more likely to be harmed by someone you know and trust then a professional photographer..

very true

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

another thought is most commercial shoots dont allow for non-essential personel..they will not allow you to bring body guards..

the ones i have done they allowed for the chaperone to stay in the dressing room or had an area set up for people, waiting room type area. I believe they are understanding of this. But agree not in the room for the shoot it's self. Some that were like casting calls my chaperone would wait outside, YET were still there for me.

May 29 05 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by AshleyDanielle: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

very true

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

the ones i have done they allowed for the chaperone to stay in the dressing room or had an area set up for people, waiting room type area. I believe they are understanding of this. But agree not in the room for the shoot it's self. Some that were like casting calls my chaperone would wait outside, YET were still there for me.

i am just always leary when someone jumps to any conclusion..its nice to have the whole story to base a decision on..please dont think i was defending this photographer..
also,on a commercial shoot with photog, his grips, the MUA and stylists..theres already a croud of people there, thats why most dont allow a chaperone..

and when are you comming to florida???

May 29 05 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Ryan

Glendale, California, US

I just found out that one of the photographers i worked with from OMP is a registered and convicted sex offender/child molester. Not a pretty rap sheet.

This is exactly why I take a chaperone to all my shoots. This is exactly why I suggest to all the models I know not to go to a shoot without someone with them. I know photographers will probably hate me for saying this, but DON'T GO ALONE!! you never know!

If you can't get a chaperone and have a shoot set up, reschedule till you can take someone. Before you agree to a shoot put one in place would be best before agreeing for the shoot. Safety in this profession should come first.

I worked with him when I was starting out. I have learned a lot since then and I check out everyone I work with. I had not checked him out to that extent.

For you new models starting out.. please PLEASE be very careful. Being online and being on a modeling site is not protection against foul play. I just had to say something cuz I don't want to see anyone hurt. Check references, be prepared for anything, so you can have a great shoot with wonderful photographers that are in this for the work and not to take advantage of you.

Ashley

Why not include the OMP number of this photographer if you are posting to warn models?

May 29 05 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posting his OMP number is not a good idea. I'm siding with no one here but you don't name names in an accusation without the other person there to make a defense. Sex offender or not, if you cause him slander he still has the right to file suit.

I would like nothing more than to weld their cell door shut but the laws must be adhered to or it would create chaos and lynch mob mentality.

May 29 05 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I just lost my first long post to the MM ghost,

===
I agree with Gary/Glamour studio.  I believe in a no shame policy.  This is not a court of law.  Gary posted the web address to check on this person.

Last night on the shout box,  we had person A trying to shame person B with no proof and an old grudge against the person B.
The person A was trying to spread rumors about the person B but when many of us came to answer the poster that we knew
person B,  person A ran away like a little girl.

Person A said that he was trying to protect a friend who had a shoot today with person B.  No such shoot nor person existed.  Go back and see the writings from the shout box at around 10:00 pm EST.  Doug,  I, and others defended this person.

May 29 05 03:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

If it's true it's not slander.  If it's public information it's fair game and I am not one that normally listens to crap about people on the internet. I always assume someone has an ax to grind....but in this case it's a conviction and public information so I would post the name.  In fact I will put my money where my mouth is and post one here. 

There was a guy by the name of Scott Moore, he started a magazine called MXB, he solicited bikini type models on the web and promised more then a few that they would be the cover.  What did they have to do to be on the cover?  not sure but your guess is as good as mine. 

I was seeing red flags after I met with him and so I posted on a web site "anyone heard of Scott moore?"  soon after I was contacted by a detective who had him in custody, he wanted names of people that had been in contact with him (he did a google search and came up with my inquiry on the board). Come to find out from this detective, He was a convicted child molester who was up to no good again in the modeling industry.  You can look him up and see his convictions.  He is still sitting in jail today I assume, his last sentence was a few years I think.

Streakers don't make this list, the list in California is for convictions such as forcebale rape, sex with a minor under the age of 14 etc. peeing in public, streaking etc do not get you on this list. You can look up every photographer you work with, it wont hurt but there are a lot of people not on the list because they havent been caught. 

Photographers for the most part are decent people, we always hear about the bad apples.  I think you should be cautious going anywhere alone with a guy you don't know, I wouldn't limit this to just photographers. 

May 29 05 03:54 pm Link

Model

Jenniferlicious

Shoreham, Michigan, US

I'm really creeped out now sad

May 29 05 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Yes! it is slander if you cannot supply absolute proof of your statement legally. And even then the accused still has the right to make a defense and can still file suit. Everyone has the right to file suit and countersuits even when found guilty. Let's stop using hearsay people, the law is what matters here, not opinion.

May 29 05 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Though it may be true,  why not just point the public in the direction to where they can get proof and not just believe word of mouth.

Gary gave the web address and people could the poster of the thread directly throught her page.

I think the person's name should not be posted.  Ashely can decide if she wishes to do so in private which I think is fine.

I think Ashely should be commended for not doing so.

But I feel the original thread post would have been much stronger if she had added the information in the third post of what he actually got convicted of.  When first reading the post,  I had a similiar reaction to Doug. 

Hmmm,  sounds bad but how bad and is it truth or just hearsay.  The additional writing make that more clear.

May 29 05 04:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

absolute proof that the man has a rap sheet is on the internet, this is all public information.  She can place a link to the rap sheet here.

May 29 05 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Guilty untill proven inocent..

May 29 05 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Yes, that she can do as that is public information allowed by law. I was referring to her own experience, not what you've stated which is already public fact. What you just said is exactly the same as my post to the sex offenders list and nothing more.

May 29 05 04:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I agree Gary.

May 29 05 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I am not sure but maybe this deserves a separate thread on the different issues.

May 29 05 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Posted by Glamour Studio /Gary: 
Yes! it is slander if you cannot supply absolute proof of your statement legally. And even then the accused still has the right to make a defense and can still file suit. Everyone has the right to file suit and countersuits even when found guilty. Let's stop using hearsay people, the law is what matters here, not opinion.

If the person making the statement is 100% absolutly positive the person on the sex offender list is the OMP photographer then it's a matter of public record and fact not slander. BUT I was accused of being a offender after a photographer with a qestionable reputation searched the North Carolina criminal database and came back with 7 people with the same name as mine then out of those 7 came up with one who assaulted women. He tried to pass this off as me to people. He only had a name problem was I have never lived in NC I'm a bit younger then the person who he listed and I'm white not black like the person listed. I easily proved this person wrong.

In short if Ashley is 100% positive then I see no reason she can't say who the person is IF they are a convicted offender.

May 29 05 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Thank you Mary, I'm only trying to keep the facts from getting misinterpreted as it relates to the law and not what we'd like to do to some people. wink

May 29 05 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

It's not slander--to state as such-- if this particular photographer is indeed a registered offender.  There is no need to get into the factual details of a case----or even if he pled guilty or was found guilty by a jury at trial.

The statement is only that this particular photographer is indeed a registered sex offender, required to register by the terms and conditions of his probation/conviction.  That's enough.  If ANYTHING in someone's background makes you feel uneasy (hey--whatever reason---dress funny, bad customer service or heaven forbid take bad photos)---it is the same as in any business---you don't frequent that business entity.

In a similar vein, a criminal "rap sheet" may show police contacts for various offenses, but not necessarily convictions.  But, you'll find that law enforcement will use requisite caution with those that have had more previous contacts with the law.  And that's just being smart.  I think what Ashley Danielle is suggesting is just "be smart."

Work with a known quantity---reputation does matter.

May 29 05 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ashley...good for you for being brave enough to post this. From what I read, looks like you crossed your T's and dotted your I's, i.e. confirmed it's really him and not someone who has a similar name, or a similar face. On the Internet, it is very, very easy to mix up someone with somebody else. Even government agencies come across a mix up from time to time. Which is why, it's probably better to leave it up to the officials to publicly announce the information. But hey, there's nothing stopping you from sharing what you know.

Go for it! Hu-ah?

May 29 05 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Robb Radford: 

In short if Ashley is 100% positive then I see no reason she can't say who the person is IF they are a convicted offender. 

But then just as you stated it might be confused with another person with the same name.   Anyone do a goggle search and you will see the names of many others.  I am a big high football star in many states.

The Administrators of OMP should be notified if they have not been already.

I do think that OMP should be notifed for there are children on that site.  The person could be using the good references from older models to convince the mothers of the young that he is safe.

May 29 05 04:19 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

As others have been said, if the man has been convicted of a sex offence it's not difficult to look that up and confirm one way or the other.  It is certainly not slander to state that a person is convicted of a crime if he in fact has been.

Personally, I'm not worried about working with convicted child molesters. I'm not a child. However, it's not a bad idea at all to check if someone you might be working with is on the list of convicted sex offenders. I still don't feel that I need to bring a chaperone for these instances. I just turn down the shoot.

May 29 05 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by Robb Radford: 

If the person making the statement is 100% absolutly positive the person on the sex offender list is the OMP photographer then it's a matter of public record and fact not slander. BUT I was accused of being a offender after a photographer with a qestionable reputation searched the North Carolina criminal database and came back with 7 people with the same name as mine then out of those 7 came up with one who assaulted women. He tried to pass this off as me to people. He only had a name problem was I have never lived in NC I'm a bit younger then the person who he listed and I'm white not black like the person listed. I easily proved this person wrong.

Rob,

I'm positive the world is flat, would you care to question my knowledge on this? lol Unfortunately Rob your not reading the posts and have done no research into what is being stated, very common on here unfortunately. "Convicted and "released" is the proper term, not just "convicted". It does make a difference. That person is now a legal citizen and in the eyes of the courts has paid his debt. You cannot do what you please just because a person was convicted. That is a fact.

In your case that would be your problem of straightening out the name relationship. That has nothing to do with this particular post. I've stated this before but I don't believe you were on here then, I have ten years of law enforcement background in the areas of the streets, in the courts and in the penal system. I do have a bit of knowledge on these subjects. As I said before, saying and showing what he is is fine. You just cannot makeup stories about these people based on their crimes.

May 29 05 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

AG Photo

Easton, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Jenniferlicious: 
I'm really creeped out now sad

It is unfortunate that the actions of a few will have such far reaching consequences. I understand why Jennifer may feel like that, but keep in mind: anyone, anywhere could have such a record, or such potential. Look at the vast majority of serial killers, so many times, people say "gee, he was so quiet and kept to himself, never thought he'd do something like that". Actually, that type of behavior, is part of the psychological make-up of someone who commits serial homicide. Does it mean every person who is quiet and keeps to themselves is a serial killer? Of course not.

Ashley brought up a good point, and Gary D. provided us all with an excellent resource.

We must learn awareness, to think, to reason and to apply good judgement, not just in the context of photography and modeling, but to any situation in our lives.

With information, judgement and sound reasoning, this type of threat, while not totally eliminated, can be reduced to the point of near total safety.

Models have to remember something else: it's not just about you. A photographer may not be thrilled with having a guy whom he doesn't know lurking behind him while his attention is elsewhere. In addition to the obvious threat from bodily harm, most of us have some very expensive equipment that we'd prefer not to lose or have damaged in some way.

This type of discussion has taken place several times before...it's time we begin archiving and making available such information. I'll talk with Tyler regarding this upon his triumphant return from Europe.

May 29 05 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

AG Photo

Easton, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Robb Radford: 

It's not worth the risk to Ashley, and frankly to this site, for her to post such information. This is not America's Most Wanted, this is a site called Model Mayhem.

Every reader of this thread has been provided the means to check anyone they wish, through the FBI's vast database. The FBI, and respective state agencies, are responsible for that information, and even they get sued from time to time.

If such information is posted here, I'll remove the thread and the person posting it.

May 29 05 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Good Morning Matthew! (:--

May 29 05 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I say respect his privacy. He was the utmost pro with you, right? Hell, for all we know, he might have been 18 when he commited the crime of dating younger girls.

Whatever the case may be, respect the mans privacy, don't try to ruin his business. If anyone asks you for a reference or about him, say just what he was with you, a professional, but be sure to let them know that you advise them to take an escort to ALL shoots with freelance photogs, that way you won't be guilty of ruining a mans rep that did NOTHING to you.

I always ask a model to bring an escort. If they say not a problem, cool. I have people around me anyway.

May 29 05 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Great writing Matthew in both posts.

May 29 05 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by marksora: 
Great writing Matthew in both posts. 

Indeed! Very well thought out.

May 29 05 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

One other thing to remember is the terms of release.

There was a gentlemen from CA who would come to Arizona for monthly shoots.  A 14 yo. model was found crying in the dressing area, and when asked what was wrong, she told some people what happened.  (Mom/Dad weren't around - they didn't stay around for the shoot, they just dropped her off) The police were called, and when they reviewed the images on his camera, they found shots of her with her skirt up, panties down, etc.  He was convicted of several offenses, and now is no longer supposed to own a computer, or any type of camera gear for the rest of his life. 

Depending on what the release situation was, he may be in violation of his parole, and getting away with it since some may not know. 

Bottom line, be careful!

May 29 05 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by Ken Long: 
One other thing to remember is the terms of release.

There was a gentlemen from CA who would come to Arizona for monthly shoots.  A 14 yo. model was found crying in the dressing area, and when asked what was wrong, she told some people what happened.  (Mom/Dad weren't around - they didn't stay around for the shoot, they just dropped her off) The police were called, and when they reviewed the images on his camera, they found shots of her with her skirt up, panties down, etc.  He was convicted of several offenses, and now is no longer supposed to own a computer, or any type of camera gear for the rest of his life. 

Depending on what the release situation was, he may be in violation of his parole, and getting away with it since some may not know. 

Bottom line, be careful!

Good points on the stipulations of release/parole.

May 29 05 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Ken Long: 

There was a gentlemen from CA who would come to Arizona for monthly shoots.  A 14 yo. model was found crying in the dressing area, and when asked what was wrong, she told some people what happened.  (Mom/Dad weren't around - they didn't stay around for the shoot, they just dropped her off) The police were called, and when they reviewed the images on his camera, they found shots of her with her skirt up, panties down, etc.

Now... THAT'S SICK!!
I personally REFUSE to shoot anyone under the age of 18. The last people I shot under that age were family members.

May 29 05 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

"Convicted and "released" is the proper term, not just "convicted". It does make a difference. That person is now a legal citizen and in the eyes of the courts has paid his debt. 

If the person has "paid his debt" then he would not be required to register as a sex offender. Being that he is a registered sex offender means it IS public knowledge that this person is a possible DANGER. Anything listed in the public record is just that PUBLIC meaning it's open for anyone to see. There is nothing illegal in pointing out public record unless the person being talked about can prove that it is not him or her. As with the example I gave about me earlier I could easily prove I was not a black male in his 50's. This is also why I said if you are 100% sure the person is the one listed in the public file then it is legal to post a warning about the person.

May 29 05 05:40 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Paris

Portland, Arkansas, US

this made my stomach turn and sent chills up my spine.

No, I was not hurt by this photographer because I had my mother as my chaperone on this shoot. Also I know self defense (which every girl should learn in my book) which i feel is helpful but not full proof.

Never know what may have happened tho if no one was with me.

he has 7 counts of child molestation

this is what i could read next to his photo on meganslaw site

Offense Code
Description
288(b)(1) LEWD OR LASCIVIOUS ACTS WITH CHILD UNDER 14 YEARS W/FORCE
288a(b)(1) ORAL COPULATION WITH PERSON UNDER 18 YEARS
647.6 ANNOY/MOLEST CHILDREN
647.6(a) ANNOY/MOLEST CHILDREN

OMG! That is frightening.

May 29 05 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by Robb Radford: 

"Convicted and "released" is the proper term, not just "convicted". It does make a difference. That person is now a legal citizen and in the eyes of the courts has paid his debt. 

If the person has "paid his debt" then he would not be required to register as a sex offender. Being that he is a registered sex offender means it IS public knowledge that this person is a possible DANGER. Anything listed in the public record is just that PUBLIC meaning it's open for anyone to see. There is nothing illegal in pointing out public record unless the person being talked about can prove that it is not him or her. As with the example I gave about me earlier I could easily prove I was not a black male in his 50's. This is also why I said if you are 100% sure the person is the one listed in the public file then it is legal to post a warning about the person. 

Listen, Robb. DO SOME RESEARCH, PLEASE! Do the words "Megans Law" ring any bells?

You're talking without one ounce of research behind you, that's a fact. Do you think that they are registered when they're in prison? NO! They register upon release so the public knows of these people. It has nothing to do with paying their debt to society, that was their time served. Because of "other" laws being passed to protect society/children from possible further harm if one of these people starts acting up again is the purpose of registration.
Do we need bank robbers to register, car thieves, pickpockets? No, their crimes were not the direct intent to rape or other such actions. The sex offender's only intent is to do this. "Sex offender", does that name tell you something.
I'm not here to answer unknowledgable off the wall questions or statements. If you want the answers then look them up, geez! Don't get on my case, I know the facts from dealing with these people and being familiar with the laws. Buy the book.

May 29 05 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by Ken Long: 

There was a gentlemen from CA who would come to Arizona for monthly shoots.  A 14 yo. model was found crying in the dressing area, and when asked what was wrong, she told some people what happened.  (Mom/Dad weren't around - they didn't stay around for the shoot, they just dropped her off) The police were called, and when they reviewed the images on his camera, they found shots of her with her skirt up, panties down, etc.

Now... THAT'S SICK!!
I personally REFUSE to shoot anyone under the age of 18. The last people I shot under that age were family members.

I agree that it's sick, but why would that stop you from providing a qualified photographic service to a minor? They are customers just the same and are given equal rights to professional service, respect and courtesy. As long as you provide a safe environment and follow and stick to the photography guidelines for shooting with minors and the guidelines (code of conduct) for professional ethics, morals and behavior, then you should have no problem. Unless you're worried that you have weak convictions.

May 29 05 06:10 pm Link