Forums > General Industry > How many times do you work with a particular model?

Photographer

NH

Newport Beach, California, US

Ok,

This is what I am curious about.  When you photoshoot with a model, is it a "one-time relationship" or do you guys have a 2nd or 3rd photoshoot later on?  If you choose a particular model to work with on several occassions, why? (ie. the look).

May 31 05 01:24 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

If she's too particular she might not work with the photographer more than once...

;-)

May 31 05 01:35 am Link

Photographer

MDSPHOTO

Greensboro, Georgia, US

It depends on the versatility of the model. Some models are once & done and some I have shot 3-4 times.

May 31 05 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Whenever I shoot, I'm always looking for people (not just models) I want to work with again.  I have a second and third shoot scheduled with one model because of her look, her attitude, her work ethic, and her personality.  Since those are all awesome, I want her around as much as possible.  When it's someone with whom you work really well, why not shoot again?  The added bonus is that making photos of one subject look different enough can work to push your creativity in new directions.

May 31 05 01:40 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Most photographers I shoot with once and only once. Others I shoot with a few times, but always with quite a break (several months) in between shoots. Otherwise, I'd just be repeating myself.

May 31 05 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Chelsea Harris

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

I have worked with several guys that pay me over and over like 6 times in six months.. and usaully for the same type of shots too. Oops I think Im on my photography profile now.

May 31 05 01:44 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Okay, if they're willing to pay me to repeat the same stuff over and over, I'll happily take it. But if it's trade, I won't do that.

May 31 05 01:49 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

How do you get into the groove with the model if you only work once with them..
I have worked with some models dozens of times or more..
And some of the same models for years..
Dreampretty i have shot 1000s of times..
It just seems to get better the more you work with them..
But then i also have had models i knever want to work with again!!

Hugh

May 31 05 01:51 am Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

Posted by theda: 
Most photographers I shoot with once and only once. Others I shoot with a few times, but always with quite a break (several months) in between shoots. Otherwise, I'd just be repeating myself.

I like your style Theda!!! I wrote a while back here about models who shoot with the same photographers over and over. I am not sure if it is the photographer trying to make them think it will be more benficial or if the model really thinks shooting with the same person several times is going to help them in some way? I understand if you are getting work from that person, but still why limit yourself? The so called "managers" online have a lot to do with this as well since they only have their models shooting with either themselves (LOL that is the funniest) or specific buddies. Of course there are some models who just do this because they want to pose in front of a camera but that must be 5% of the online population. Mainly girls/guys are here trying to make it so instead of shooting with the same photographer maybe they should branch out and get more styles, contacts, etc...? There are a couple photographers in Southern California that shoot with the same models over and over which amazes me when I look at the work smile I just don't understand what that person is thinking but oh well I am kind of done trying to get them to shoot with me, too many gorgeous women out there ready to step in for all the ones on this, or any other site!

May 31 05 02:34 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

What does it say about your work if a model only wants to shoot the 1st time with you..
If they dont come back or better yet just dont want to work with you..
I would not feel to good myself..
So i think the real thread should say!!

Is your work good enough to bring them back!!??

May 31 05 02:44 am Link

Photographer

latex-fashions

Tampa, Florida, US

I allways like to repeat with models. I think depending on the project you work together better.  but then I rarely if ever shoot the same thing twice. Unless there is something that a certain model can not just get the look I am going for.

May 31 05 03:01 am Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

One model I've shot with 11 times, another 6, another four, etc etc. I have shoots with no set date on 5 models I've shot previously. The shots ALWAYS get better, the joy always increases....besides, how can you have a muse you only shoot once??

May 31 05 03:35 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by vanscottie: 
One model I've shot with 11 times, another 6, another four, etc etc. I have shoots with no set date on 5 models I've shot previously. The shots ALWAYS get better, the joy always increases....besides, how can you have a muse you only shoot once??

Just keeps gettin better!!!

(:----

May 31 05 03:39 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by NH: 
Ok,

This is what I am curious about.  When you photoshoot with a model, is it a "one-time relationship" or do you guys have a 2nd or 3rd photoshoot later on?  If you choose a particular model to work with on several occassions, why? (ie. the look).

Number 3 doesn't seem to happen for me. If number 2 session happens, it's due to either one of the following reasons:

1) We didn't complete session 1
2) Model wants to shoot more and, or in other genres

Some models have requested a number 3, but for some reason, it falls through the cracks. Well, that "some reason", is mostly me. I get caught up with new requests and most of the models requesting a third shoot live too far out of the way from my home and, or work.

May 31 05 03:50 am Link

Photographer

Eric Jackson

Dayton, Ohio, US

Christie and I had a terrific working relationship. We both brought our "A" games to a shoot it seemed.

https://www.photoman44.com/upload/christymswim1.jpg

https://www.photoman44.com/upload/christym4.jpg

https://www.photoman44.com/upload/christym5.jpg

https://www.photoman44.com/upload/christym6.jpg

May 31 05 03:56 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

usually, i don't shoot with a model more than twice.  i get bored of them.

there are exceptions though.

May 31 05 06:07 am Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

I've worked with flutterby studios for over 15 shoots...at elast

May 31 05 07:15 am Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

hmmmm, i will do repeat shoots with the photographers/muas/stylists that i enjoy working with and who can produce what i need for my book.  then there are folks i will not work with again (unless, naturally, it were a paid assignment). 

i have to agree with Visual about the 'boredom' factor, and some of it is that as a model-photog team, the results just were not there.

and with new requests coming in, you don't have time to repeat what didn't work.  smile

Z

May 31 05 07:22 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I love doing multiple shoots with the same model; when a model and photographer "click" the sky is the limit.  The more you work together, the more trust is built and eventually you establish a sort of "telepathy" for what's going to work and what to try next...There's nothing more exciting than comparing images from a first shoot with images from the most recent -- seeing what you've both learned and how you've grown...a fantastic feeling!

It dosen't always work out that way, however.  There are a couple of really famous and successful [internet] models whom I've worked with once and would never consider working with again [nothing personal, our respective styles just didn't match].    I'm convinced I could shoot someone like  Mayan Lee [#2422],  or Lapis [#3290] every day for a year and come up with something different [and great] each time.

And I would be disingenous if i didn't admit there are models I've worked with onece who would never WANT to work with me again.  Not because of any personal conflict or unprofessional behavior, but simply that what I do really isn't "for them."  It's always a possibility in the niche that I work in, so I don't let it get me down when it happens...for me the next great photo "relationship" is always around the corner.

May 31 05 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Worked with a few models once.

Mostly, I've worked with models twice.

Worked with a few models three times.  No more than that.

There's several models I've worked with that I'd like to make it more than that.

May 31 05 08:09 am Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

I've worked with several photographers more then 3 times.  I establish a good friendship with most of them and I keep in touch with a lot of them.  I try to do different looks each time, different outfits, and different make-up.  If it's a paid assignment, I really don't care what we shoot because it's usually just for their own collection.  I mean, I have my limits, but I'll shoot with those people as many times as they want me to.  However, it's usually because we become good friends.  I refuse to work with anybody that I get a bad vibe from...starting with e-mails.  I've only worked with a handful, if that, of photographers once.

May 31 05 08:31 am Link

Photographer

HDellinger

Chicago, Illinois, US

Every now and then I find a model that I would like to work with over and over.  One model I worked with every 3 days for about 3 weeks.  Every single shoot looked different.  I think the only way to make multiple shoots work for me is to find a versatile model that likes being a chameleon.  I get really inspired and try to top what I did the last time with the person. 

I had a shoot yesterday with a model I worked with back in November.  Every single look we did was completely different from the next.  The first 3 shots on my portfolio are our first 3 looks, we did several more after that and they all look incredibly different.  If she lived closer, I'd happily work with her on a regular basis.

May 31 05 08:53 am Link

Photographer

John Swoger

Peoria, Arizona, US

Typically the models I've worked with are out of state and make repeat sessions a bit more difficult. However there is that one model I've worked with 3 times and she lives over 400 miles away, but she is worth the travel time. We've become good friends and I get excited when we plan a new shoot. She is someone I hope to work with for the rest of my career.

I'm moving to a new city/state probably in July and hope to find a muse, someone to work with on a regular basis. I love working with new folks, the excitement of the unknow, but there is also something to be said for working with someone frequently, you start to know there every move before they do it.

May 31 05 09:09 am Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

I've worked with one photographer 4 times another one 2 times and others just once.

Jun 01 05 12:54 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

It depends on the model. Some models are so versatile it's like shooting a new girl every time you work with them. Others start repeating themselves on the 3rd outfit of the first day...
Also, if the model is set in how she want sot look in her pictures, it makes for a boring shoot. If the model is willing to try new things, crazy makeup, wierd clothes, and even ugly looks then I would shoot with her as often as she wants to.

Jun 01 05 01:31 am Link

Model

Hel Inferna

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Melvin Moten Jr: 
I love doing multiple shoots with the same model; when a model and photographer "click" the sky is the limit.  The more you work together, the more trust is built and eventually you establish a sort of "telepathy" for what's going to work and what to try next...There's nothing more exciting than comparing images from a first shoot with images from the most recent -- seeing what you've both learned and how you've grown...a fantastic feeling!

It dosen't always work out that way, however.  There are a couple of really famous and successful [internet] models whom I've worked with once and would never consider working with again [nothing personal, our respective styles just didn't match].    I'm convinced I could shoot someone like  Mayan Lee [#2422],  or Lapis [#3290] every day for a year and come up with something different [and great] each time.

And I would be disingenous if i didn't admit there are models I've worked with onece who would never WANT to work with me again.  Not because of any personal conflict or unprofessional behavior, but simply that what I do really isn't "for them."  It's always a possibility in the niche that I work in, so I don't let it get me down when it happens...for me the next great photo "relationship" is always around the corner.

well said, i've worked with you countless times and we always come up with something neat, i always look forward to shooting with you

Jun 01 05 12:51 pm Link

Model

The Beans

New York, New York, US

Just about every photographer I've worked with it's been more than three times or more, but no less than three. I'm always told that I'm a very diverse model and very easy to work with. I like the relationships (friendships) I build with the photographers- we get to know eachothers personalities- and it shows in the photos.

Jun 01 05 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

I will work with a model as many times as she wants to come out and pose in front of me.  I have one or two models I have shot over and over again. 

Sometimes having a model willing to come out and shoot with you a lot is good if you want to try new ideas, new poses, or new equipment with someone you know and are comfortable with, before you try them in a "one time only" shoot.

Many times the first shoot I have with a model is more of a "getting a feel for you" kinda experience.  If the shoot went well, and I feel the model and I have developed some chemistry, I will book her again.  Subsequent shoots the model is usually more relaxed with me, and me with her, and we can come up with more interesting shots.

If I do use a model more than once or twice, I usually try to do something different each time.

Jun 01 05 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

How many times does the model want to work with me? LOL
Hell I have models I've shot over 100 times.

Jun 01 05 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Sylvester

Fairfield, Ohio, US

I'll shoot with a model as many times as she wants.

Why limit yourself?

Jun 01 05 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

I've shot some models once, some many times for my paysite (Tatiana has the most shoots with me... 10 times). 

There are a number of factors involved, but the most important ones involve cost.  The closer the model is to me, the better (Tatiana lives down the street).  Plus, the more adventurous the model is, the better (Tatiana once rode with me about 40 miles to do a shoot of her as a damsel in distress on some abandoned train tracks!)

Plus it helps if the model is willing to do the work again.  I've never had any be upset with me, but the damsel-in-distress photography I do isn't what every model is looking for.  Some do it once to say they did it, and see what it's like (plus it is paying work).  Guess it's a mutual thing...

Jun 01 05 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

After 3 shoots, I pretty much get bored with the model. Though there are a SMALL handfull that I don't mind shooting on a regular basis because we click really well.

Jun 01 05 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I judge it by personality. If we click, then chances are, we are going to work several times together and be able to capture unique images each and every time. Not only has that worked for me, but those same models are also now really good friends. To me, that is just a win/win situation...

Jun 01 05 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

Robbie Wolf Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

All of my clients, with one exception, I've only done one shoot. The main reason for that is that we just moved to Arizona from Florida and Alison and I didn't have time for more because we had to pack, fix-up, and sell our house. If any of our past models end up in Phoenix, we'd be happy to work with any of them again.

And its not as hot here as it is in Florida. Ok, maybe it is. However, just subtract the 95% humidity, sweaty clothes, flat hair, and swarms of mosquitos from your experience and you have Arizona. Its great here.

Jun 01 05 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

edrickguerrero photography

Pasadena, California, US

i'll shoot with them again if they know how to pose without much direction...even if she's the perfect eyecandy, and moves like a fish out of water? fuggeddaboudit! once would be enough...twice? only after we build a good relationship and repore. thrice? maybe if she's adriana lima...

Jun 01 05 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Luna

Dallas, Texas, US

I think when I was a total newbie a few years back, I worked with the same models 3 and 4 times because I was still very much developing my craft. Now however, I try to limit my shoots with the same models because I want true diversity in my portfolio. I still do maybe 2 shoots with the same model but both shoots have very different looks. I do believe that it sometimes takes a few shoots for model and photog to really click but I also believe that if you discuss ideas and get a good game plan BEFORE the shoot, you can have a much more productive shoot for both parties.
I go into each shoot I do now with definite ideas of what I want to get out of it.

Jun 01 05 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

It depends on the model and where he/she is in his/her career. I give TFP/CDs only to new models and our artistic director works with them to improve their poses. We shot one model, who has huge potential, probably 7-8 times. We shot two, back-to-back, TFPs, over a two day period.  We basically took her from a fuzzy photograph on OMP to studio quality work in two days. We shot her several times after that because she learned so fast and was such a great model. She linked to our OMP website, as well. She became published and got work as a result.

She then wanted us to shoot her sister - which was a huge mistake (we're presently dealing with a legal issue with the sister).  As a result, the 'great' model is protective of her sister, and she cut loose from our website and won't shoot with us.  We probably gave her $3,000 of free studio, editing, and printing time.  We got one email from her appologizing for bringing her sister into the middle of her shoots - but not one word or thanks for all we did for her.  We are not limiting our TFPs to one per month. No more being used by models.  I make way more money shooting commercial. I don't need to give my time away for free, as my portfolio is complete.  That said, I still have a soft spot in my heart for new models just starting out and will work with one each month.

Cheers, Tim at www.portlandfilmworks.com (new, and improved website coming, soon)

Jun 03 05 01:23 am Link

Photographer

Arturo J

Fremont, California, US

Depends on several things, sometimes if you both find working with each other produces good results, you keep in contact. Case in point: I met Aria
Giovanni 5 years ago and we have shot several times and will continue
to do so. Plus it helps when the Model keeps in touch and does not "vanish".
There have been times when that happens, always a bummer when something is published and you have copies for the model in question.
I like working with certain models and developing a body of work around
them over trying to shoot a million different girls. And I space it out over
months to keep from getting old.

Jun 03 05 01:43 am Link

Photographer

Jon Scott Visual

I'll work with a model as often as he/she wants to write a cheque.

Jun 03 05 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Dave - The Rollei Guy

New York, New York, US

I have several girls that have come back 10 times and more.  Everytime they have an idea that they want to develop, they call.   Since my work is not to build my own portfolio, but to test high end equipment of my design and Rollei, it gives the girls the full command of what is shot.  I most enjoy working with new people to the industry by helping them develop there skills.

Jun 03 05 02:32 am Link