Forums > Photography Talk > Homemade light modifiers.here's what works for me

Photographer

IBX Pete

Rockingham, North Carolina, US

I am not one to try a lot of d-I-y stuff, but you have some really neat ideas here.
Thanks.

Dec 19 07 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Barrett

LONG ISLAND CITY, New York, US

Chris McDuffie wrote:
I guess I'll contribute.
This is for the shoe string student photogs

My DIY beauty dish:

https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1221/1485353721_7e954425f1.jpg

Would love a step by step of this one.

Dec 19 07 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

slave to the lens wrote:
I loved the worklights, \

yuh.  I still use them on occassion, but definitely very hot, especially in a small, enclosed space.  There were times where *I* felt the need to almost get naked while using both barrels of my shop lights. 

I'm trying to transition to flash strobes...

Dec 19 07 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

Damon Banner wrote:

yuh.  I still use them on occassion, but definitely very hot, especially in a small, enclosed space.  There were times where *I* felt the need to almost get naked while using both barrels of my shop lights. 

I'm trying to transition to flash strobes...

Shop lights are good, for this time of year.  smile

I shot Sara in my fridge (yes, she was in the fridge) and the shop lights kept her warm.  lol

Dec 19 07 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Woodland Hills, California, US

I learned on film sets, with Arris and Molepars and such so hotlights were an obvious choice. I'm tempted to break one out, balance it to strobe with some gel, and use it to key for tomorrow's shoot. The model would be warmer. :-)

Dec 19 07 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Exposure On Whyte

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Here is something that I whipped up for 15 bucks.  All parts at the orange homo.
Corrogated sign board, duct tape, black paint, 14-2 wire for doors (to keep stiff) and some velcro tabs to attach to strobe adaptor.
Not pretty but works.

https://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snsn1/box.jpg

https://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snsn1/box2.jpg

S

Dec 21 07 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Chris McDuffie

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1221/1485353721_7e954425f1_b.jpg

There's not much else going on other than what's in the photos. This started out as a plain, clear, plastic bowl which was spray painted with Krylon plastic spray, white on the inside, black on the outside.

Not being @ home, this really was a DIY project; with no power tools I used a soldering tip to burn holes for the screws. With no screw driver, I used pennies to get the job done. I used and exacto blade to cut out the foam (bought from a local Axeman surplus store) which holds the flash very snugly.

The tupperware cover could use a few more coats of paint, and the mirror could be cleaned up a bit.

Dec 21 07 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Thanks for the addition Chris!

I added a shot to my portfolio from yesterdays shoot- the bubblegum one - it was keyed with the above mentioned  DIY    ringlight with an AB400 at 1/4 power and full CTB on the background .

Dec 21 07 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Graffix

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

awesome thread !

Dec 21 07 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

cough

Dec 21 07 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

LeWhite

Los Angeles, California, US

I have a SB 800 that is used as a slave an thus uses an infrared sensor, would it be better to use the light in the back of the beauty light e.g. or remove the saucer and turn the light backwards, and use the dish as an umbrella?

Dec 22 07 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Merlyn Magic Photo

Long Beach, California, US

LeWhite wrote:
I have a SB 800 that is used as a slave an thus uses an infrared sensor, would it be better to use the light in the back of the beauty light e.g. or remove the saucer and turn the light backwards, and use the dish as an umbrella?

SB800 has a pc socket, correct? Might be better to tether a Wein peanut to a point where it can see the main flash and use the dish as a dish.. Just need a foot long male to female pc cord. Male into the flash and female will take something like this:

http://www.pictureline.com/products/278 … nut_Slave_(each)/sitemap/sitemap.php

Dec 22 07 05:33 am Link

Photographer

AJW Photo

Hamilton, Alabama, US

Wouldn't it be best to earn (through photography) enough money to buy the stuff that engineers have already designed to work?  How much did the photographer spend to design the wooden floor and ramp for his back drop?  There are many places to buy Photographic White Vinyl which will do the same...  How much is YOUR time worth?  If you spend ten hours designing and building and perfecting your widget, that is ten hours you didn't spend gathering and builiding contacts within your community.  I've learned that my time is worth ~$150 an hour, whether I'm photoshopping, photographing, or sawing out some widget that I could BUY for $100....

Dec 22 07 06:10 am Link

Photographer

Aesthete Studios

Oakland, New Jersey, US

Damon Banner wrote:

what are the materials?

After looking at these pics I am jonesing for a bundt cake!

Dec 22 07 06:19 am Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

AJW Photo wrote:
Wouldn't it be best to earn (through photography) enough money to buy the stuff that engineers have already designed to work?  How much did the photographer spend to design the wooden floor and ramp for his back drop?  There are many places to buy Photographic White Vinyl which will do the same...  How much is YOUR time worth?  If you spend ten hours designing and building and perfecting your widget, that is ten hours you didn't spend gathering and builiding contacts within your community.  I've learned that my time is worth ~$150 an hour, whether I'm photoshopping, photographing, or sawing out some widget that I could BUY for $100....

Ok. Point one: Why fart in a rose garden? People make things, it's a fact of life. Often, people would rather build than buy. I've welded my own toolboxes, too. Why? I could buy one at my specific requirements for 2000. I tire of throwaway culture and would rather reuse an old item for a new purpose. Nothing (time or materials) came close to 100 in my arsenal. Where can one buy a 100 dollar ring flash or beauty dish, btw? I'd love to know!

Bottom line: we have those things for you to buy because of inventors and innovators. So buy it, no ones stopping you. I'll buy it for 1/3 the price when you get bored and move on. 

Up until recently, speedlight modifiers were pretty non existent ( beyond Gary Fong's contraption) so why not make a beauty dish for 5 bucks  in materials and 30 minutes time?

FYI- the "wooden ramp" is a cyclorama, a fixture in Hollywood for wraparound cove lighting. It's especially helpful when shooting cars, and is a great way to supplement studio income ( by renting it to commercial/ print houses )Don't the have Cycs in Virginia? They are on nearly every soundstage I've worked on over the past 15 years in the film industry,and standard at smaller still photo studios like Smashbox

On a completely different note, why do people with their noses in the air and their head up their asses see the need to piss on peoples ideas? Just curious.

Dec 22 07 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

AJW Photo wrote:
Wouldn't it be best to earn (through photography) enough money to buy the stuff that engineers have already designed to work?

no.  That is what is best for YOU.  Fine.  I'd rather spend my money on other things.  Besides, while you are supposedly earning the money to buy these contraptions, don't you need something, to modify light, so you can, earn money? 

How much is YOUR time worth?  If you spend ten hours designing and building and perfecting your widget, that is ten hours you didn't spend gathering and builiding contacts within your community.

That is ridiculous. 

1.  it is not wasted time, as it is time spent in pursuit of an ultimate goal in photography.

2.  building contacts costs time as well. 

I've learned that my time is worth ~$150 an hour, whether I'm photoshopping, photographing, or sawing out some widget that I could BUY for $100....

Good for you. 

Keep that in mind tonight at 10pm, when you are putting on your PJ's getting ready for bed.  Because that is $1200 you are missing out on. 

You spend your money and time how you want, let the rest of us do the same = everyone happy.

Dec 22 07 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

SunArcher Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

In the giving spirit of the holidays...that's what I'm talking about.

No drama. No bullshit. Just help. Have a round on me, OP...

Dec 22 07 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Merlyn Magic Photo

Long Beach, California, US

AJW Photo wrote:

Simply put, I am not getting paid to shoot, I enjoy my freedom too much. I get equal enjoyment out of constructing a physical device that I do from manipulating photons to create a photograph. Neither is time wasted for me, rather time invested, as is your time for shooting and contacts. We both end up happy, and you end up happy and monetarily richer. Looks like a win for me and a bigger win for you. Congrats, my hat is off to you...now I'll go back to building wink

Dec 22 07 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

slave to the lens wrote:
Where can one buy a 100 dollar ring flash or beauty dish, btw? I'd love to know!

White lightnining has a 22" beauty dish for like $115

Which probably means you can get one on ebay for cheaper.

I've seen no name ring flashes on ebay for less than 50$.  But they are likely digital only contraptions.

Dec 22 07 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Damon Banner wrote:

White lightnining has a 22" beauty dish for like $115

Which probably means you can get one on ebay for cheaper.

I've seen no name ring flashes on ebay for less than 50$.  But they are likely digital only contraptions.

Those ringflashes have a lowwww GN and are good for Macro/ Dental work and that's about it.
Yeah, I'll likely pickup an AB beauty dish someday, but mine was free...dug outta the trash at a prophouse because the light fixture was loose.

On another note, Damon...just pulled into Sedona :-)lovely at sunset.
Still going to Hell A?

Dec 22 07 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

alveraz

Los Angeles, California, US

Amazing. I'm all over this. Thanks for sharing the details.

Dec 22 07 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

dreslin photography

Pensacola, Florida, US

Made my own beauty dish by going to a resturaunt supply store and purchased a 30" stainless mixing bowl cut out the bottom and drilled holes to mount it to my lighting ring for my strobes, painted the inside white and outside black works great for about $25

Dec 22 07 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

slave to the lens wrote:
Those ringflashes have a lowwww GN and are good for Macro/ Dental work and that's about it.

You sure about that?

Do you speak from experience?

If I remember correctly, a certain Chip Willis has said otherwise.

Dec 22 07 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

AJW Photo

Hamilton, Alabama, US

Wow, try to give a little insight into the upside down economics of SOME of the ideas on this thread, and I get shat on?  Nose in the air??? No, just trying to point out that there are better ways to spend your time...  Sorry for interrupting; continue with your salad bowl drilling...  I'm going back to editing my $4k wedding...
OUT!

Dec 22 07 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

slave to the lens wrote:
Still going to Hell A?

no.  money issues.  sad

in fact.. about to sell my recently infrared converted DSLR  ... grr.

I lost about $300 on that conversion by doing it myself

Dec 22 07 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

AJW Photo wrote:
Wow, try to give a little insight into the upside down economics of SOME of the ideas on this thread, and I get shat on?  Nose in the air??? No, just trying to point out that there are better ways to spend your time...  Sorry for interrupting; continue with your salad bowl drilling...  I'm going back to editing my $4k wedding...
OUT!

there you go again trying to shit on this thread.  Though, if I shot weddings...

Dec 22 07 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

dreslin photography

Pensacola, Florida, US

Not everybody can get 4k for a wedding shoot more power to you

Dec 22 07 07:17 pm Link

Model

Malia De Leon

San Francisco, California, US

A very resourceful individual.  Impressed.  My daughter would like to work photography, my husband and I just recently bought an entire studio setting for her.  If only i had come across this post earlier I would've at least  held off on the lighting and just did this...LOL!!  Thank you.  MWAH!

Dec 22 07 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

dreslin photography

Pensacola, Florida, US

AJW Photo wrote:
OUT!

Read your profile sounds like a product listing for the major brands and a certified photographer so why are you on mm to brag or for love of photography

Dec 22 07 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Dave Wright Photo SF wrote:

You sure about that?

Do you speak from experience?

If I remember correctly, a certain Chip Willis has said otherwise.

I'd love to have another go at it, but the cheap one I tried ( Phoenix I think) had pretty signifigant falloff when you backed off the subject a few feet. I'd love to be wrong, so I'll look into it. Thanks!

Dec 22 07 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

AJW Photo wrote:
OUT!

Elitist douchebaggery aside, I'll choose the best way to spend my time. I suppose this bars me from membership in any elite PPA like organizations though...bummer.

Ok. Back to drilling my salad bowl.

Dec 22 07 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

salad bowls are for commoners!

soup bowls are the bowls of champions

Dec 22 07 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Exposure On Whyte

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

AJW Photo wrote:

Hmmm, lets see, barn door setup for my units would be over 200 bucks, 15 bucks for my "widget" and lots of money left over to pamper the wife and keep her looking good in front of the camera.  Didn't ya hear, chicks dig handy guys LOL.
Part of it is lets build it for testing purposes, see if it would be worth investing in an engineered version down the road, or not.  Better not show you the snoot I built for less than 15 bucks that only needed 4 holes drilled to attach to adaptor ring, works like a hot damn!

JMHO
S

Dec 22 07 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Martini

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

AJW Photo wrote:
OUT!

It figures you would come back into this thread to beat your chest a little.

Here's something for you though. The DIY guys who have posted here, have MUCH better photographs than you do.

Not that that matters of course...

Dec 23 07 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

danno watts

Phoenix, Arizona, US

BlindMike wrote:

I'm building a cyc. Muwahaha.

https://www.blindmike.com/images/20071127/studio01_full.jpg

https://www.blindmike.com/images/20071127/studio02_full.jpg

https://www.blindmike.com/images/20071208/studio01_full.jpg

https://www.blindmike.com/images/20071208/studio03_full.jpg

Got the last of the panels in last weekend. If all goes well, we might be able to paint and wrap it up this week.

so where could someone  find some instructions/guides on how to build a cyc wall?!  would LOVE to know how you are doin it!

Rocksteady,
Danno~

Dec 23 07 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

danno watts

Phoenix, Arizona, US

*bump*

Dec 25 07 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Vinicio Estrada Photos

Surprise, Arizona, US

A++++ thread would read again.

Dec 26 07 01:20 am Link

Photographer

Photocyco2000

Sussex, New Jersey, US

You will find this book very useful:
"Low Budget Shooting- Do It Yourself Solutions to Professional Photo Gear" by Cyrill Harnischmacher   http://www.rockynook.com/books/1-933952-10-5.html

Dec 26 07 01:26 am Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Bump

Dec 26 07 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

bump*

Feel free to add your DIY projects...

Dec 26 07 04:46 pm Link