Forums > Model Colloquy > No, it's YOU disappointing ME

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Sarah Slaykitty wrote:

Darling you dident see this thread sooner because it was written 3 years ago! Someone finds it to be a super great idea to pull a thread from 3 years ago back to page one, and everyone is just eating it up because they dident notice the date of the OP.
I'm not saying this isent a valid point, but come on 3 years....3 freaking years! Stop pulling old posts from 3 years ago, and just start a new one if you feel the info is just that important.

Actually, it's only 2 years.

But it wouldn't keep being resurrected if it people weren't still relating to it.

If it is still a valid point, as you yourself state, why not keep referencing it?

Jan 23 10 08:38 am Link

Photographer

LinguaDentata

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Daniela Victoria wrote:
Try that next time someone gives you crap. That doesn't work? Walk away.

/rant.

What if you need them more than they need you? Or you need modeling?

Jan 23 10 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sarah Slaykitty wrote:

Darling you dident see this thread sooner because it was written 3 years ago! Someone finds it to be a super great idea to pull a thread from 3 years ago back to page one, and everyone is just eating it up because they dident notice the date of the OP.
I'm not saying this isent a valid point, but come on 3 years....3 freaking years! Stop pulling old posts from 3 years ago, and just start a new one if you feel the info is just that important.

Daniela should be commended for starting it, and I plan on referencing it every time the subject is brought up.

Jan 23 10 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

AndrewV wrote:

Then it's probably time to re-evaluate your life & decisions that've placed those who'd belittle & control you for their own selfish reasons in positions of power over you.

Jan 23 10 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

AndrewV wrote:

Then it's time to stop being so "needy".

smile

Jan 23 10 10:33 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Image K wrote:

Then it's time to stop being so "needy".

smile

Seriously.

Why do you need someone that flat out rejects you?

Are we 12 years old here?

Jan 24 10 06:03 pm Link

Model

Lori Anne Mayor

Sarasota, Florida, US

Does anyone ever think that that person may not be a self-centered asshole that wants to dissapoint you, but someone who wants to keep you safe because they love you... ::shrugs::

Mar 23 10 07:25 am Link

Model

Katja M

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Lori Anne Mayor wrote:
Does anyone ever think that that person may not be a self-centered asshole that wants to dissapoint you, but someone who wants to keep you safe because they love you... ::shrugs::

Safety isn't the issue here. It's the controlling boyfriends. They could be supportive, but they're not.

Mar 23 10 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Wolfy4u

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

Daniela, how dare you insist on being respected, lol. I think this thread may well be commented on for  2-3 more years. I've never understood why we allow an insecure person to criticize a well adjusted person and allow the insecure person to act like the victim.
Daniela, I have a feeling that you're in a relationship that has communication, respect and a great chance of lasting a long time. Most partners of the insecure people probably won't even remember their names five years from now.

Mar 23 10 07:36 am Link

Model

Model T Terena Ann

Florissant, Missouri, US

Its ashame how another likes to control sum1 when they have balls to say i love u "  girls were not put in this world to be belittle or told what to do or controlled ! And everyone is themselves ~ If they met a richass biatch that had it all trust me they wouldnt turn it down or tell her what the hell to do its all in the way u look at it !!! Ladys arent supported through life ~ in this industry lol

Mar 23 10 07:36 am Link

Model

May Sinclair

Los Angeles, California, US

It just doesn't work that way in a relationship, unless you want to exacerbate a conflict.

There could be a time in your life when your partner does something you genuinely disapprove of, and for good reason. Maybe he tortures kittens. If you told him you didn't approve and he said "well you are disappointing me" then you would just think "this guy doesn't listen to my feelings, he's just a jerk." It wouldn't do anything to decide if he should continue torturing kittens, or to get either one of you okay with the other's mentality.

Maybe that's an extreme and distracting example, but in someone people's minds nude modeling might be on the same level as stripping or associated only with posing in playboy. I don't think it's off for men to not want other men to see their girlfriend's naked. That doesn't mean it's right. A lot of times all someone needs to be okay with your decision is a little bit of reassurance that things aren't going to change between you or that nude modeling is really different from whatever they imagine it to be like.

No if you try that whole conversation and (maybe) compromise thing, and they still won't listen then you might want to throw around the "you disappoint me" thing.

Mar 23 10 07:39 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Lori Anne Mayor wrote:

no, of course not wink

Mar 23 10 08:22 am Link

Model

Kaia

Dallas, Texas, US

Trevor Snyder wrote:
Sadly, you will always be in the minority thinking this way.

I'd rather be happy and stand up for myself and what I believe in than be in the majority. Example: Ron Paul.

Mar 23 10 01:11 pm Link

Model

Ashley Graham

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Bump because it seems like there a lot of people who could make good use of reading this lately

Mar 30 10 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

TyFoto

Salem, Oregon, US

YESSS! Well said!!

I don't shoot nude. It scares my models. But I do shoot nudes! wink

Mar 30 10 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Yan Tan Tethera

Biggleswade, England, United Kingdom

This thread has legs.

And rightly so.

The OP showed remarkable candour and courage and I am sure this has been an inspiration to many.

The MM community at it's best.

Mar 30 10 01:26 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Lori Anne Mayor wrote:

Safe??? What does that have to do with anything?

I find the people who are most controlling no nothing about the industry. All they think is that the photographer is a rapist who is going to kill you. And they don't want to hear otherwise.

Mar 31 10 10:03 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Wolfy4u wrote:
Daniela, I have a feeling that you're in a relationship that has communication, respect and a great chance of lasting a long time. Most partners of the insecure people probably won't even remember their names five years from now.

Yes sir.

Fabulous husband who walks around with my business cards and Playboys for anyone who wants to see them.

I know I'm lucky. I wish everyone was....rather, I wish everyone would stop settling for someone who doesn't accept them. That goes for family members and friends.

Mar 31 10 10:04 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Miss_May_ wrote:
It just doesn't work that way in a relationship, unless you want to exacerbate a conflict.

Works in mine. I'm not alone in this either.

If you think it doesn't work, you haven't tried it.

Mar 31 10 10:05 am Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Daniela Victoria wrote:
I found it hysterical that none of them knew about Playboy- and yet all my friends here and everywhere knew about it immediately.

It says something when you'll share that with your friends and not your family. Really does.

At least they aren't hypocrites that subscribe to Playboy while berating you for shooting nudes.

Aug 29 10 09:56 am Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Tiffany x wrote:
All I do is going to school and taking care of my baby.But they are still looking for pictures on internet then they find me and tell me I am whore:-(.

Were they looking for pictures of you and found nudes or were they looking for nudes and happened across you?

Aug 29 10 10:04 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

It's baaaaack!

smile

Aug 29 10 10:16 pm Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

Daniela Victoria wrote:
It's baaaaack!

smile

You wrote the best thread ever.

Aug 29 10 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Snake Biscuits wrote:

Great threads are worth bringing back!

Aug 30 10 01:48 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Snake Biscuits wrote:

Thank you smile

Aug 30 10 09:05 am Link

Model

Laurel Rae

Tucson, Arizona, US

JEBKA Photography wrote:
Daniela,

You disappoint me that you won't fly to Colorado on your dime and show some skin smile

Not today....  It's snowing  smile

I did a implied shoot in the show!! We would run back to the car every like 5 minutes to warm up though hehe

but to OP, I totally agree smile

Sep 01 10 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

New Dawn Photography wrote:
Sorry, but anything you do that someone else wouldn't is just plain wrong! This is America, you can't just go around having an opinion that differs from others and not expect to chastized for it. Besides, what you do is easy. All you do is take your clothes off, smile and look pretty. There is no hard work or talent involved and if God had meant for you to be naked, you would have been born that way.

I am not going through the 5 million pages as I totally agree with the OP.

My question, is how many people actually got your neat 'tongue in cheek' response?

Sep 01 10 02:43 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Bump

Sep 30 10 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Cinema Photography

Boulder, Colorado, US

Daniela Victoria wrote:
Nude modeling.
Glamour modeling.
Art modeling.
Showing any skin whatsoever....

I'm just tired of these threads.

You don't approve of my modeling? I don't approve of you.
It's YOU disappointing ME.

Try that next time someone gives you crap. That doesn't work? Walk away.

/rant.

+10. Pretty much yeah

Sep 30 10 09:02 am Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Wilmington, Delaware, US

I want to start by saying I agree...

because for me... love is acceptance... acceptance of who someone is... and more importanly who someone isnt.

With that said. Part of what you may be feeling is your intentions being thwarted... That comes from a perception that you are being made wrong or possibly being dominated.

When someone is being made wrong or being dominated, love, affinity, relatedness are all effected. The payoff is they get to feel right, in a place of dominance, etc... but the cost is you...

Remember that is a two way street. Making them wrong or saying you know is basically doing it right back... and then there is the payoff for you and the cost to you both.

So what am I saying? I'm saying, invent a new possibility before cutting them off... Speak your truth... What is important to you? Your career is important to you. Having them understand or even accept it isnt. Creating a space of relationship, love, affinity, community in the face of their beliefs and yours is important to you!

It can be easy, but it requires new vocabulary. It requires not saying the same old stuff... like it is "my way or forget it"... (on both of your parts) It requires being responsible and looking for places where you might be at the cause of the upset... not FAULT!!! but cause.

Fault is a matter of morality... Cause in the matter is devoid of morality... it is about getting real with what's so.

maybe you have outgrown them... if so... make it about that... not about their juvenile or philistine ideas and thoughts.

Sep 30 10 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Kaida Minako wrote:
Safety isn't the issue here. It's the controlling boyfriends. They could be supportive, but they're not.

I've certainly had my share of frustrations with models and their "controlling boyfriends."  But disapproval can also come from very well meaning parents.

And, as far as the "needy" part; what if the model is an 18 year old high school senior, should she completely not listen to her parents' opinions?

Sep 30 10 09:17 am Link

Photographer

nudeXposed

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

At times like this I like to quote Robin Williams:

You can fool some of the people some of the time,

And jerk the rest off...

If there were more naked chicks in the world, there would be less wars: eg the Middle East...

Oct 01 10 05:22 am Link

Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

lets celebrate. everyone get naked.

Oct 01 10 05:25 am Link

Photographer

nudeXposed

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

Miss_May_ wrote:

There could be a time in your life when your partner does something you genuinely disapprove of, and for good reason. Maybe he tortures kittens. If you told him you didn't approve and he said "well you are disappointing me" then you would just think "this guy doesn't listen to my feelings, he's just a jerk." It wouldn't do anything to decide if he should continue torturing kittens, or to get either one of you okay with the other's mentality.

Maybe that's an extreme and distracting example, but in someone people's minds nude modeling might be on the same level as stripping or associated only with posing in playboy. I don't think it's off for men to not want other men to see their girlfriend's naked. That doesn't mean it's right. A lot of times all someone needs to be okay with your decision is a little bit of reassurance that things aren't going to change between you or that nude modeling is really different from whatever they imagine it to be like.

No if you try that whole conversation and (maybe) compromise thing, and they still won't listen then you might want to throw around the "you disappoint me" thing.

I really don't think that nude modelling is comparable to torturing kittens, although I understand that pussies are the common element.

Oct 01 10 05:39 am Link

Model

Tina Rex

Lakeland, Florida, US

Bump.

Because I think this all models should read this, nude or not.

Oct 01 10 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Studio Gallery 2021

Bandon, Oregon, US

I agree with the fact that if a person decides to get involved with another they need to accept them for who they are.  That being said, in some relationships, a person does need to decide which is more important if they are reaching a point of getting serious.  Everyone has the right to have their feelings respected.

So...

For models - If the person is important enough to keep around, some tough choice may be needed.

For others - Respect the ambitions and goals of the person you are with and if they do not fit into your perfect picture...move on.  The both of you will be happier.  But most important, get to know the views of the person you're getting involved with before you get serious so that you can decide if that is the person you are willing to go the distance with.

Nov 07 10 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

To Daniela --

Not every model is in your situation.

Gabby

Nov 07 10 01:35 pm Link

Body Painter

Mythical Ink

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Lori Anne Mayor wrote:

I don't think so- and here's why:

1. most controling people couch controling tendancies in their "concern" for the person they want to control. It's also very sexist- we can't possibly work out for ourselves what is and is not in our best interests and gage situations to determine our safety.
2. agency models and pro shoots- someone knows where you are and mua, assistant etc present.
3. If a scumy bastard is trying to get you along to rape and murder you- cloths won't protect you- if they'll assault you, chances are they'll strip you as well- we're all naked under our clothes.
4. IF you're concerned about safety- offer to chaperone and then DON'T GET IN THE WAY- hang in the next room within ear shot but not looking over shoulders.
5. not all people who shoot nudes are guys, or all models female. I'm 5'7" and a girl-  am I danger to this guy?:

https://modelmayhm-5.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100119/04/4b55a3370682a_m.jpg

or to most female models who are usually taller and fitter than me? (not that I would try something anyway- way unprofessional)

Nov 07 10 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Bravo!!!

Nov 07 10 04:30 pm Link

Model

Genesis Moon

Houston, Texas, US

JEBKA Photography wrote:

Good point.

I'm a new model and I have never look at it from that point of view, it gives me something to THINK about!!

Nov 07 10 04:34 pm Link