Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Blurry faces because of makeup?

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

I was told that makeup can cause the faces in a photo to be blurry.  It sounds odd to me. 

I don't know much about photography, but I would think lighting and focus is what causes faces in photos to be blurry.

Is it possible for makeup to cause faces in photos to be blurry if the rest of the photo is sharp?

Is this just an excuse by the photographer to save his rep?

Jan 23 08 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

ROFL that's a bunch of bull.  Makeup doesn't do it, that photographer doesn't know how to control his/her use of DOF.  Because the focus with the lens and lighting will be the key things that put an image into focus.  Makeup will never cause part of a photo to be blurry.

Sounds like an excuse to me!

Jan 23 08 11:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Velazquez

Orlando, Florida, US

... I dont think thats possible... But if a makeup artist can make someone look blurry that would be interesting...

Jan 23 08 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Kelly Watkins

San Diego, California, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:
I was told that makeup can cause the faces in a photo to be blurry.  It sounds odd to me. 

I don't know much about photography, but I would think lighting and focus is what causes faces in photos to be blurry.

Is it possible for makeup to cause faces in photos to be blurry if the rest of the photo is sharp?

i suppose it's possible, i.e., if the makeup is about 3 inches thick and smeared all over. but it sounds more like a focusing issue. i'd have to see the photos.

Jan 23 08 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Fusion Imagery

Centerville, Ohio, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:

That just made my day. I'm laughing so damn hard my cube mates think I've gone nuts (well even more so anyway).

No way will makeup make the photo blurry.

Jan 23 08 11:13 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lauren Warner

San Francisco, California, US

Melissa Velazquez wrote:
if a makeup artist can make someone look blurry that would be interesting...

OOOh I just got a new concept I wanna try!

That is sooooo ridiculous. The photographer must of f'ed up and blames the MUA? Classic!  don't ya love it.

Jan 23 08 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

Kelly Watkins wrote:

i suppose it's possible, i.e., if the makeup is about 3 inches thick and smeared all over. but it sounds more like a focusing issue. i'd have to see the photos.

ROFL!!!!! can someone even put that much makeup on someone's face before it starts falling off??? LOL  man, that'd be hilarious to see! lol

Jan 23 08 11:15 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jennifer Denise

Atlanta, Georgia, US

maybe your makeup job was so stunning that his hand trembled a little bit in awe.

So yes.  It's all your fault.

Jan 23 08 11:16 am Link

Model

_Blip_

Tampa, Florida, US

Lauren Warner wrote:

That is sooooo ridiculous. The photographer must of f'ed up and blames the MUA? Classic!  don't ya love it.

Yup. Sounds about right. hmm

Jan 23 08 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Dark Attitude Photo

Rochester, New York, US

I can see making it seem like perhaps, "soft focus", but blurry?  And pigs do fly

Jan 23 08 11:20 am Link

Photographer

D Joseph

Birmingham, Alabama, US

GWC excuse # 43,,  it's the MUA's fault !!!!  she put on too much makeup !!!

Jan 23 08 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Dennis Tortora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

SHENANIGANS!!!!!!!!!!   That GWC, is a dumbass, a blurry photo over makeup....out that MOFO.

Jan 23 08 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Dennis Tortora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

My photos were blurry of your model sir, so I have promptly fired my MUA and Flogged my Assistant...lol

Ok, new shot.....oh damn....oh damn, that MUA must have snuck back in....LOL

Ask that shitebag, if he knows what a Diopter is..???

Jan 23 08 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

Jennifer Denise wrote:
maybe your makeup job was so stunning that his hand trembled a little bit in awe.

that must've been it!  Melissa!!!!!!! WHY IS YOUR WORK SO AMAZING!?!?!?!?! bunny

Jan 23 08 11:24 am Link

Model

Kennedy Deshawn

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jennifer Denise wrote:

ditto wink

Jan 23 08 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Kazmere Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:

LMAO, just when you thought you heard it all!!!

Jan 23 08 11:26 am Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

Thanks ya'll!

I know it sounds silly.  But I had to ask because I was so blown away by it.

Jan 23 08 11:46 am Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

Jennifer Denise wrote:

lol!

I think I'll say this to the model's agent!

Jan 23 08 11:48 am Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Wow, lol.  I can't believe someone tried to displace blame like that.   Crazy peoples.  smile

Jan 23 08 11:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

Gina Cicero

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

HAHAHAHAHAHA
OMG
I have never heard that in my life...Um yes Gina your make up job caused my photo to be blurry !! LMAO
Ya I DONT THINK SO !
big_smile

Jan 23 08 11:50 am Link

Photographer

CN Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

Jennifer Denise wrote:

I agree. Your work is really nice smile

But wow, someone needs better lenses (I should be one to talk, HA).  Or a tripod.

Jan 23 08 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:

I suppose if you did makeup to an extend that it made the focus sensors on a camera unable to achieve focus, then the photo would be blurry.  But any capable photographer would do any number of things to work around that.

Either way, it's operator error.

Ooooh, unless you're putting makeup ON the camera.  You could probably totally screw it up.

Jan 23 08 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Lauren Warner wrote:

OOOh I just got a new concept I wanna try!

Client: The photos are all out of focus?!

Photographer: stupid MUA!!

Client: huh?

Photographer: yeah!

Client: uhh...huh?

Photographer: sigh You see, they put makeup on the models face.  This white shit and now my camera won't focus on it.  It's requires contrasty thingies to get focus.  Very high tech.  Stupid white makeup!

Client: But we're a makeup line for clowns, it's suppose to be white.

Photoshop: You're stupid too! No one likes clowns!

Jan 23 08 12:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

FAIRFAX STATION, Virginia, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:

LOL that is pretty funny.

Jan 23 08 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm writing this excuse down.  Might come in handy.

Jan 23 08 12:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

omg I'm literrally still laughing about this minutes later. his is too funny! My daughter is looking at me like I'm crazy.

Jan 23 08 12:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

Was there any chance that it could have been a communication/language barrier between you and the photographer?

As far as make-up making a face blurry, not gonna happen.

But if there was some sort of language barrier, he could have meant something as simple as reflective make-up causing the face to flashback at a lighter tone and just not known the words for it.

Jan 23 08 12:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Gina Cicero

KatAragon wrote:
omg I'm literrally still laughing about this minutes later. his is too funny! My daughter is looking at me like I'm crazy.

Me too Kat, this is the most funniest thing I heard someone say about a mua

Jan 23 08 12:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

rachelrose wrote:
Was there any chance that it could have been a communication/language barrier between you and the photographer?

As far as make-up making a face blurry, not gonna happen.

But if there was some sort of language barrier, he could have meant something as simple as reflective make-up causing the face to flashback at a lighter tone and just not known the words for it.

The faces are literally blurry.  Not lighter.  The rest of the photois fine and then the faces seem out of focus.

I wish I could show some of the photos.  But since he's on here it would be wrong to do that.

Jan 23 08 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:
The faces are literally blurry.  Not lighter.  The rest of the photois fine and then the faces seem out of focus.

I wish I could show some of the photos.  But since he's on here it would be wrong to do that.

upload to photobucket and PM it to us.  i need to see this, from what you're saying it sounds like he stuck it on auto and doesn't know how to control his DOF is all.  I'm still shaking my head at the blame on the makeup. lol

Jan 23 08 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Caity B

Bangor, Maine, US

Man... I've heard about Makeup Artists being blamed for a lot of ridiculous stuff before, but that one is the first I've heard about BLUR.

Jan 23 08 01:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Gina Cicero

Caity B wrote:
Man... I've heard about Makeup Artists being blamed for a lot of ridiculous stuff before, but that one is the first I've heard about BLUR.

LOL im saying
I can not even believe that someone would even say something so stupid, but I guess thats what happens when someone is insecure tongue

Jan 23 08 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Melissa Velazquez wrote:
... I dont think thats possible... But if a makeup artist can make someone look blurry that would be interesting...

I would hire any makeup artist in an instant if they could do that LOL

Jan 23 08 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

Gina Cicero wrote:
LOL im saying
I can not even believe that someone would even say something so stupid, but I guess thats what happens when someone is insecure tongue

Or just plain STUPID! lol

Jan 23 08 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:

Makeup doesn't cause blur face.  Bad focus or bad photoshop (using blur) cause blur face. smile

Jan 23 08 01:29 pm Link

Model

Kymberly Jane

Los Angeles, California, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:

HAHHaHaHaHaHa THAT .. is a NEW EXCUSE!!! i never heard that one before..

BUT.. what makes a BLurry picture..... UNFOCUS!...the shakes.. or Just Plain UNEXPIRENCE.. hahaha

OXOXOOXx

Jan 23 08 01:30 pm Link

Model

Melissa Wilkinson

Clearwater, Florida, US

hahahahhahahahaah!!!!!!

Jan 23 08 01:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

That's what I was thinking, blur tool in photoshop or a masked blur with the eyes, mouth, hair, etc, erased out. lol. So basically everything but the skin was blurry. Have you seen the RAW image?

Jan 23 08 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:

I'd be curious to see too. Sounds like he doesn't know how to work his camera and change the focus point on his viewfinder.

Jan 23 08 01:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

KatAragon wrote:
That's what I was thinking, blur tool in photoshop or a masked blur with the eyes, mouth, hair, etc, erased out. lol. So basically everything but the skin was blurry. Have you seen the RAW image?

I asked but he said he doesn't give out RAW files.  I thought about asking him to maybe give me a link where I could see them without being able to download them.  But he seemed angry that I asked to see the unedited images so I didn't want to ask again.

Jan 23 08 01:38 pm Link