Forums > General Industry > the business of photography

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

I know alot of you photographers have all these expensive cameras, expensive lighting systems, etc etc.  Which comes to the question, have you paid off your credit card bills with all the work you have been receiving from shooting?

Oh wait, with all of this TFP and paying models going on, I highly doubt it.

The business of photography is expensive.  You have to keep up to date with everything.  Computer stuff, camera stuff, etc etc.  If you aren't making money from photography, why do you do it?  What do you get out of it, other than shooting hot chicks?

Jun 05 05 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
If you aren't making money from photography, why do you do it?  What do you get out of it, other than shooting hot chicks?

Wait. Wait. Wait.

What are you talking about?

You mean ... there are people who actually get PAID to do this?!

Jun 05 05 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Some people shoot as a hobby. I know, I know, it'a hard to believe, but to some people money isn't the driving force behind everything.

Some years ago, I was into cycling heavily (the kind you pedal).  I put a lot more money into that than I ever have with cameras.  Got a titanium frame (before everybody had 'em) Then you have to keep up to date with all the new stuff, then there's repair parts, tires, clothing, helmets, etc.  Never did make any money cycling, but I enjoyed the hell out of it.  Still ride some when I have time.

I've actually heard some people say they stopped enjoying photography once they crossed the line from amature to professional.  Maybe it's not as much fun when you have to shoot what somebody else wants rather than what you want.

Seems like I've heard this song before, maybe the CD is skipping or something.  Ya might need to give your stereo a nudge.

Jun 06 05 12:04 am Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

If you aren't making money from photography, why do you do it?  What do you get out of it, other than shooting hot chicks?

Wait. Wait. Wait.

LOL!! Actually this maybe your worst problem Mr. Mindscapes, the fact you don't shoot because you like it but you are only in it for the money.

Personally I would shoot regardless of whether I got paid or not, I love shooting. I also don't just shoot models so I don't get your remarks about getting involved just to shoot hot girls, is this why you started? Kind of a stupid reason if you ask me but hey that is your choice smile

Also stop with your non-tfp bullshit! You work with 2 other people so it maybe easier for you than some others to bring in clients, etc... although it will never work to have partners in the long run. Still If someone, myself included, wants to test with a girl then why do you care? It doesn't mean that girl would shoot with you for her portfolio anyway so how is it hurting your pocket? Plus the next potential super model that steps into this site or OMP and you will be offering her a trade in a heart beat. It is funny how photographers who say they won't do tfp's change their mind when a hot ass girl contacts them. It just shows the lies people tell trying to get others to follow, so sad!

Oh I just recalled Visual is thinking about *PAYING* to go on one of those modeling photo shoots like Ujena puts on, so maybe you can explain what the difference would be? Actually if nothing else at least you aren't giving your money to a company along with your copyrights because that is rough smile

Jun 06 05 01:54 am Link

Photographer

Duck Photography

To me its just a hobby, and I shoot to have fun. as far as keeping up with the equipment, well got to do something with my combat pay.

Jun 06 05 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

In all honesty, your question reveals that perhaps it's YOU who are in the wrong field.  There has to be an easier way to make a big pile of $$$ than photography, which seems to be all you care about.  Personally, I think the problem with most artforms today [music, film, etc.] is too many moneychangers in the temple.

Jun 06 05 02:31 am Link

Photographer

Cicada

Indian Wells, California, US

mommy and daddy pay for everything. aren't i lucky?

Jun 06 05 03:05 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by ( ANT ) Mgaphoto: 

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

Wait. Wait. Wait.

LOL!! Actually this maybe your worst problem Mr. Mindscapes, the fact you don't shoot because you like it but you are only in it for the money.

Personally I would shoot regardless of whether I got paid or not, I love shooting. I also don't just shoot models so I don't get your remarks about getting involved just to shoot hot girls, is this why you started? Kind of a stupid reason if you ask me but hey that is your choice smile

Also stop with your non-tfp bullshit! You work with 2 other people so it maybe easier for you than some others to bring in clients, etc... although it will never work to have partners in the long run. Still If someone, myself included, wants to test with a girl then why do you care? It doesn't mean that girl would shoot with you for her portfolio anyway so how is it hurting your pocket? Plus the next potential super model that steps into this site or OMP and you will be offering her a trade in a heart beat. It is funny how photographers who say they won't do tfp's change their mind when a hot ass girl contacts them. It just shows the lies people tell trying to get others to follow, so sad!

Oh I just recalled Visual is thinking about *PAYING* to go on one of those modeling photo shoots like Ujena puts on, so maybe you can explain what the difference would be? Actually if nothing else at least you aren't giving your money to a company along with your copyrights because that is rough smile

Calm down, the question as I saw it was if you don't do it for money, why do you do it? It was anice question, a nice question. It invited you to be all gooey and sweet about this artistry....
what do you get out of it?

Jun 06 05 03:13 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

I know alot of you photographers have all these expensive cameras, expensive lighting systems, etc etc.  Which comes to the question, have you paid off your credit card bills with all the work you have been receiving from shooting?

The business of photography is expensive.  You have to keep up to date with everything.  Computer stuff, camera stuff, etc etc.  If you aren't making money from photography, why do you do it?  What do you get out of it, other than shooting hot chicks?

Wait! Wait! Wait!
Joey of all people! You are asking this while I thought you'd be the one who for sure was in it for shooting hot chicks! LOL  j/k

It's a great question!

It's about priorities. I do what I do because of love and passion for it! If money were more of a priority, then I would have taken up a career in the medical field or gone for a law degree and run for congress if I wanted a career in crime. Opps! LOL

Politics aside ... being an entrepreneur (working for oneself) is exactly what I want to do. The money is enough for me to live on. It's tough at times not knowing if I'll have enough money in the bank to pay all the bills every month.  But I like this lifestyle. It's not for everyone.

Jun 06 05 03:38 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

I am so not into this because of the money!!
I am into this cause i like to do it-
But getting paid to travel all over is kinda nice!!
But i would do it for free!!
Just dont tell anyone!!

Jun 06 05 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

lol, I started shooting on a steady basis in 1999. With the years I had in 2000 thru 2002, I could buy my whole setup 100 times over, if not more.

Now i shoot for the love more-so for the money.

Jun 06 05 08:18 am Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

I like your avatar, Hugh.  With the waterfall.  Nice.  smile

Jun 06 05 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Ron Casas Photography

Chapin, South Carolina, US

We are all in this for different reasons... My reason is I love my work and it can pay well.... I do mostly children and families once in a while I will get some girl in my studio that wants to do some portfolio work but that is rare. I have been trying to do some TFCD work with some moldels to build my skills... I have sent out over 200 messages to models since the start of the year and have only shot once with a  new model... I have recieved only 2 count them 2 replys that have said "sorry I do not do TFCD work". the rest have gone unanswerd and that is real disheartening that so many models do not have the Professional courtesy to even reply. For me the money is in the little ones and families and not the hot chicks...lol The love of the job is in all of it from the babies hand in mom's hand, to the awesome sunset on a near by river.

any way just my rant
Ron

Jun 06 05 09:20 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

....Which comes to the question, have you paid off your credit card bills with all the work you have been receiving from shooting?

........, why do you do it?  What do you get out of it, other than shooting hot chicks?

I think this is a great question and I get the joking nature of it.  I do not understand the harsh negative reaction to it.  Like you care anyway.

My equipment is paid for completly.   Debt was a problem in my life and in photography in the past but not now.  I will not go into large debt to keep up with the toys anymore,  maybe I feel that way because I feel I have enough to do it correctly.   I am not in debt at all today.

I have had my ups and downs in the industry due to my own mistakes and a head injury.  I did not want to shoot models for several years because I just did not feel like it.   But I do miss the people.  The groups of creative people working , traveling, and laughing together.  My art work tends to be solitary and jewelry work is as well.

The creating does not seem to be work to me.  The politics,  marketing,  and business ends of it does seem like work to me.   I love to create.   
I will always do photography and create,  but I may go back to school to become an art therapist to have a job that helps people more,  values my brain and skills more,  and is a bit more steady and reliable in this changing world.   Not sure yet because I still love the hot chicks.

Jun 06 05 09:36 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by marksora: 
I have had my ups and downs in the industry due to my own mistakes and a head injury.

Ah ha! That explains it!

Sorry. Just being snotty. Carry on.

Jun 06 05 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Surely you don't mean to say the only reasons for doing photography is for cash as a pro or for the "hot chicks"! I'm a retired pro. I shot paid commercial assignments, often quitre well paid assignments, but before that I shot as a dedicated amateur. Now I guess I'm an amateur again, so "hot chicks" are the only reason left for me to shoot?

I shoot for the love of the craft, to create or record and show a bit of beauty.  I shoot to communicate something to others. Why does a painter paint? Why does a poet do poetry?  I shoot because I have to, because its in my being, it's part of my soul.

Frankly, if you are shooting only for money, I feel sorry for you.

Jun 06 05 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Robbie Wolf Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I currently make much more money as a software engineer. I'm making some money with photography but am working into it. With computers, it started as a hobby, then I became more proficient through school, self-education and practice and now its a livelihood. I expect to combine the two skills more and more as time goes by.

Selling my house paid off my credit card debt. smile

Jun 06 05 11:38 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

You say "other than" like it's not a complete and sufficient reason unto itself. I say it is. smile

However, I do it because I needed something to do that was totally outside my professional and family life. They're both very stressful. If I end up making some money from it someday, I won't turn it down. But it's an escape for me.

In my regular job, one day is much like the next: I mostly shuffle papers. How I ended up in such a place, I'm not quite sure, because it's not my nature. There are people who are doers of deeds, and people who are performers of tasks. The world needs both. But I am the former: I like to do something, have it be done, and then go on to the next thing. Photography is like that. I took the picture, I edited it, and now I'm done with it. I can go on to the next picture. I need that sort of thing.

M

Jun 06 05 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Bill Sylvester

Fairfield, Ohio, US

YES! I have.

Why?  Because I dumped film and went digital!  Hooray for me!

Of course my girlfriend still manages to keep the credit card kinda high, but that's not becuase I only shoot TFP!

Jun 06 05 11:51 am Link

Photographer

George Butler

Marietta, Georgia, US

Posted by Melvin Moten Jr: 
In all honesty, your question reveals that perhaps it's YOU who are in the wrong field.  There has to be an easier way to make a big pile of $$$ than photography, which seems to be all you care about.  Personally, I think the problem with most artforms today [music, film, etc.] is too many moneychangers in the temple.

WOW!

Jun 06 05 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Jarod

Malibu, California, US

I looked at the salary on salary.com for photographers in my area and it's about $50K. That's not much for where I live (Silicon Valley).  My full time job pays better than that. I do this because I like photography and I like beautiful women. There's no better job (or hobby) that combines the two. 

Jun 06 05 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Wicked Hailey

Round Rock, Texas, US

hahahaha - make a living off my photography...~sigh~ still not making ends meet yet. But then I refuse to do weddings...I used to make it when I shot weddings. NO MORE!

Jun 06 05 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Magic Image Photography

Temple City, California, US

This post is so funny.... I look at my photography as i look at my 38 Hot Rod and my Oldies but Goodies 58 Edsel and my Classic 73 Mercedez. If you can't add more to it then why bother. Sure lots of Photographers spend lots of money and spend lots of time and effert into thier Photography. Point is it's "It's NONE of YOUR Freaken bussiness" Just care about your self and what you want to do with your Photography and put out the best work you can. If not then get out of the busines and let the others waist thier time away. I am sure Ansel Adams would have said the same thing to you. Bravo Magic Image Photography. Any one want to buy some old used up cameras hahahah

Jun 06 05 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

My situation is I work as an IT exec and make a pretty nice salary.  But it's an office job with little fulfillment.  People dont go around generally saying- wow, Jose- your statements of works are artistic.  They dont say, Jose- your budget proposal- wow- what beauty.  The only real fulfillment I get at my day job is developing my employees and the paycheck.

I love photography.  I feel if I pursued it full time- I could be great.  It just doesn't make any financial sense to walk away from 6 figures on a hope and a dream.

Look- Id be lying if I said shooting gorgeous beauties wasn't a motivator for me.  I still exclusively shoot gorgeous beauties after 1 and a half years of my hobby.  Im worse than most hobbyists- I actually host a website where I update it every week.  I even seek out media passes to events to cover them and publish them for folks to see.  I do TFP or pay models to create some nice images and post them for my site viewers to see.  In the end, though, a model has zero chance to get sexually harassed by me because frankly I have much more to lose than most pro photographers.

So why do I do it.  I love the positive feedback from folks on MM and my website audience emails.  I love personally having a thing of beauty in my dull corporate life.  I love the feeling that I am soo new at something that I can grow and do something my whole life and always get better.  Of course I love to develop beautiful images with a gorgeous model and see her happy reaction when/ if she likes the work.  Finally- I hopefully will get the opportunity to retire sometime in my late 40s early 50s.  Thats far too young to stop working so by then I will be amazing and can shoot for money as a semi retirement income.

Regards,
-Jose

Jun 06 05 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

With any passion or career in photography, you have to always see it as a business and the smallest part is clicking the shutter release. As for me this is business, I don't shoot models for a living, but I work in the world of advertisment to editorial. So I enjoy the riches of being paid a creative fee plus  expenese...not to toot my ego but more than $2,500 a day..I have to support a staff of 5 people, so it has to be a busness not a hobby. It was a hobby for me back in 1969, but I have two teenage daughters to in a less than three years to put through college. You can be a creative artist anyday of the week, it's understanding the worth of your services and making a living at doing play with film or digital for people that wants your vision. As for paying for equipment with a credit card my accountant would kill me and divorce me in the same day.

Jun 06 05 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by LarryB: 
Some people shoot as a hobby. I know, I know, it'a hard to believe, but to some people money isn't the driving force behind everything.

Photography is an expensive ass hobby.  How much do people spend a year on this stuff?

lol

Jun 06 05 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by ( ANT ) Mgaphoto: 

Who said I don't like it?  I love it!  I wish it paid more though.

Personally I would shoot regardless of whether I got paid or not, I love shooting.

Me as well.  I try to bring my camera where ever I go.

I also don't just shoot models so I don't get your remarks about getting involved just to shoot hot girls, is this why you started?

I started because I needed a job, lol.  Hot chicks are just an added incentive.  Maybe not you, but most online photographers do it to shoot hot chicks.  tongue

I Kind of a stupid reason if you ask me but hey that is your choice

Say what?

Also stop with your non-tfp bullshit! You work with 2 other people so it maybe easier for you than some others to bring in clients, etc... although it will never work to have partners in the long run. Still If someone, myself included, wants to test with a girl then why do you care?

Go shoot a girl for TFP.  I don't care.  More power to you.

It doesn't mean that girl would shoot with you for her portfolio anyway so how is it hurting your pocket?

Wait a minute, what was the subject again?

Plus the next potential super model that steps into this site or omp and you will be offering her a trade in a heart beat.

For sure I would.  Never said I wouldn't.

It is funny how photographers who say they won't do tfp's change their mind when a hot ass girl contacts them.

Hells yes!!

Oh I just recalled Visual is thinking about *PAYING* to go on one of those modeling photo shoots like Ujena puts on, so maybe you can explain what the difference would be?

Never said I was going.  I was CONSIDERING it and I asked everyones opinion on it.

Jun 06 05 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Melvin Moten Jr: 
In all honesty, your question reveals that perhaps it's YOU who are in the wrong field.  There has to be an easier way to make a big pile of $$$ than photography, which seems to be all you care about.

Who said all I care about is money?

This goes back to the subject of who are professionals and who aren't.  Most people claimed to be professionals and the definition people gave to being a professional was to get paid.  Wasn't it?

Jun 06 05 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Cicada: 
mommy and daddy pay for everything. aren't i lucky?

You bastard!!

Jun 06 05 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Star: 
Calm down, the question as I saw it was if you don't do it for money, why do you do it? It was anice question, a nice question. It invited you to be all gooey and sweet about this artistry....
what do you get out of it?

Jun 06 05 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

My camera and other stuff are paid for.  I zero out my credit card every month. 

My motorcycle is not paid for.  Yet people rarely ask, "That looks expensive.  Why do you have it?"  They comment on whether it's fast, how wet I get in the rain, etc.

A hobby is something that gives one a measure of fulfillment, whether it's a particular sport, or something artistic, or something motorized, or something collected.  So photography gives me a level of fulfillment.  As long as it continues to do so, at an economic and time level which makes it worthwhile, I'll continue to pursue it.

Rarely have I had people ask me how much the motorcycle costs, or how much insurance is, or how much I spend on gas/maintenance.  How much I make per year, spend on the motorcycle, spend on photography, spend on home improvements, spend on airline tickets is none of anyone's damn business.  Maybe others want to share their financial wherewithal and expenses with strangers, for reasons that are unknown to me, but I'll decline.

Jun 06 05 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Patrick Walberg: 
Wait! Wait! Wait!
Joey of all people! You are asking this while I thought you'd be the one who for sure was in it for shooting hot chicks! LOL  j/k

lol just don't tell my girlfriend that.

tongue

It's about priorities. I do what I do because of love and passion for it! If money were more of a priority, then I would have taken up a career in the medical field or gone for a law degree and run for congress if I wanted a career in crime. Opps! LOL

So what's your priority?

Politics aside ... being an entrepreneur (working for oneself) is exactly what I want to do. The money is enough for me to live on. It's tough at times not knowing if I'll have enough money in the bank to pay all the bills every month.  But I like this lifestyle. It's not for everyone.

You got me on that one.  You like the lifestyle.  I can't handle it.  Maybe that's why I'm so pissy all the time.

lol

Jun 06 05 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Ron Casas: 
I do mostly children and families once in a while I will get some girl in my studio that wants to do some portfolio work but that is rare.

Me and you are on the same boat then.

I have been trying to do some TFCD work with some moldels to build my skills... I have sent out over 200 messages to models since the start of the year and have only shot once with a  new model... I have recieved only 2 count them 2 replys that have said "sorry I do not do TFCD work". the rest have gone unanswerd and that is real disheartening that so many models do not have the Professional courtesy to even reply.

I guess me and you aren't on the same boat then.  I take that back.

lol JK

For me the money is in the little ones and families and not the hot chicks...lol  The love of the job is in all of it from the babies hand in mom's hand, to the awesome sunset on a near by river.

I think you are the only one who answered my question seriously.  Thank you.

smile

Jun 06 05 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by marksora: 
I think this is a great question and I get the joking nature of it.

Thanks for understanding.

I do not understand the harsh negative reaction to it.

Me neither.

lol

I did not want to shoot models for several years because I just did not feel like it.   But I do miss the people.  The groups of creative people working , traveling, and laughing together.

Maybe that's the thing for me.  I've been shooting models less and less and been shooting mostly for money to pay the bills.  Maybe I need to pop a pill of equilibrium in my life.

The creating does not seem to be work to me.  The politics,  marketing,  and business ends of it does seem like work to me.

I totally agree.

I still love the hot chicks.

Word!

Jun 06 05 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Doug Lester: 
Surely you don't mean to say the only reasons for doing photography is for cash as a pro or for the "hot chicks"!

I didn't say everyone.

I'm a retired pro. I shot paid commercial assignments, often quitre well paid assignments, but before that I shot as a dedicated amateur. Now I guess I'm an amateur again, so "hot chicks" are the only reason left for me to shoot?

I guess so then.

lol

I shoot for the love of the craft, to create or record and show a bit of beauty.  I shoot to communicate something to others. Why does a painter paint? Why does a poet do poetry?  I shoot because I have to, because its in my being, it's part of my soul.

You sound like me when I'm high.

Frankly, if you are shooting only for money, I feel sorry for you.

I feel sorry for people who are in debt even more.

Jun 06 05 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Sand Angel: 

What about those people who live in apartments?

lol

Jun 06 05 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by StMarc: 
I do it because I needed something to do that was totally outside my professional and family life. They're both very stressful. If I end up making some money from it someday, I won't turn it down. But it's an escape for me.

Good answer.  I like it.

Jun 06 05 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Jarod: 
I looked at the salary on salary.com for photographers in my area and it's about $50K. 

Yeah, I saw that a few months back.  It kind of depressed me.

lol

Jun 06 05 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by Ron Casas: 
For me the money is in the little ones and families and not the hot chicks...lol  The love of the job is in all of it from the babies hand in mom's hand, to the awesome sunset on a near by river.

I think you are the only one who answered my question seriously.  Thank you.

smile

You mean you didn't know that?  News flash: hot chicks don't have money! smile
Seriously, photography is a tough business to make a good living at and model photography is even tougher.

If you're interested in my story, here it is:  I'm an engineer and make a pretty good living at it.  If I could make the kind of living I'm accustomed to by doing the kind of photography I love, I would quit my current job in a minute.  Right now, that's not likely but I'm working towards it and if things go well, maybe someday....  So for now, my job allows me to afford some pretty decent equipment which I purchase in order to practice and learn with to hopefully be able to transition into a fairly well paid professional photographer.  If/when I do get paying offers, I want to be prepared with the equipment I need and be familiar with it so I can be confident that I can deliver and not be figuring it out "on the job" and possibly blow an opportunity.  I don't treat this as a hobby.  I wouldn't spend this much money on a hobby.

As for the money: corporate work, advertising etc.  That's where it's at, not model portfolios (unless you've really made a name for yourself and can attract big clients).  You need to put together an impressive portfolio and really know how to deliver, then do a ton of leg work to get their attention.

Granted I haven't made it there so I'm not speaking from experience, but that's what I've gathered.

I saw a post from someone on another forum asking how to crop to 8x10 without cutting of the persons legs.  This was his first paying gig and apparently he had never even made an 8x10 before and didn't know you have to leave room to crop.  I don't want something like this to happen to me on my first big paying gig.

Jun 06 05 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Robbie Wolf Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Posted by Sand Angel: 

What about those people who live in apartments?

lol

ha ha. In this housing market, they need to get off their butts and at least buy a condo. Guess it depends where they live though.

As for yearly expense, it really isn't any worse for me than buying the computer hardware and software to keep up with my profession as a software engineer. I haven't gone out and purchased the most expensive equipment. I try to work with what I have and slowly upgrade as I find that I need improvement in an area.

Posted by Jose- JoseOnline.com: 
Of course I love to develop beautiful images with a gorgeous model and see her happy reaction when/ if she likes the work.

I'll have to say seeing that look on someone's face really makes this fun.

Jun 06 05 09:04 pm Link