Forums > General Industry > What Does A Photographer Look Like?

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

If you've ever seen a pic of me (there's one in my gallery) you'll see why i'm writing this.

Often when i approach someone about shooting, or meeting them for a shoot, one of the first things that they say is "you don't look like a photographer."

What is a photographer supposed to look like?
Am I supposed to wear all black with a red baret, dark sunglasses,  smoke cigs, spout crappy poetry under my breath that stinks from overpriced coffee?

My problem (I believe) is that I look younger than I am, i'm aloof and carefree for the most part, and not to toot my own horn, but i'm a decent looking guy in good condition. Maybe the TV stigma of some fat bald middle aged man loaded with photography gear is what comes to mind with people when they think "photographer."

What's your views on this?

Jun 10 05 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

this is already a thread with pages and pages of answers

Jun 10 05 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

*redfaced* didn't know that.

Jun 10 05 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I wake up every morning and put on my multi-pocketed khaki vest and worn denim ballcap.

Jun 10 05 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

The beauty of being a photographer is that you dont nessarily have to put yourself in front of the camera.

Jun 10 05 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Ink Studios Imagery

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I am just rolling reading this cause I get that all the time.  I am not sure what they mean when they say that though.  I think the description of the multi-pocket khaki vest fits, but what else...........

Jun 10 05 11:17 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

See Eric's "how to become a creepy photographer" thread. Excellent ideas within!

Jun 10 05 11:18 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

'they' all look alike to me...

Jun 10 05 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Posted by Lapis: 

be afraid, be very afraid.
https://www.karlblessing.com/images/share/me_showa.jpg

Jun 10 05 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Lapis: 

please dont say that...i know some fairly unattractive photographers...i need to have some hope things aren't that bad...

Jun 11 05 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Karl... I'm afraid.

Judging guys looks, are we, Doug? lol

Jun 11 05 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Am I supposed to wear all black with a red baret, dark sunglasses,  smoke cigs, spout crappy poetry under my breath that stinks from overpriced coffee?

Have you tried using a cheesy fake French accent as well?
Once people hear that, they've got to beleive that you're a photographer! wink

Jun 11 05 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Posted by Ed Remington: 

Have you tried using a cheesy fake French accent as well?
Once people hear that, they've got to beleive that you're a photographer! wink

eh?

Jun 11 05 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Hi Karl.  Rub my tummy.

Jun 11 05 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

LOL! big_smile Yep.

Jun 11 05 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 
Hi Karl.  Rub my tummy.

*pats your tummy*
*yer a good boy arnt, you good boy.*

Jun 11 05 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Neurotic

San Antonio, Texas, US

Jun 11 05 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Cicada

Indian Wells, California, US

Posted by BlacklistVisual: 
I wake up every morning and put on my multi-pocketed khaki vest and worn denim ballcap.

hahahah

Jun 11 05 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Cicada

Indian Wells, California, US

while we're on this subject; what does everyone think of young photographers? i'm 21, and ive noticed that even the youngest glamour photographers are in their late-20's/early-30's...with years of experience, of course. now is it just because you shot stills/nature/etc before you got into glamour? or were you really shooting fashion/glamour for all those years?

Jun 11 05 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Cicada: 
while we're on this subject; what does everyone think of young photographers? i'm 21, and ive noticed that even the youngest glamour photographers are in their late-20's/early-30's...with years of experience, of course. now is it just because you shot stills/nature/etc before you got into glamour? or were you really shooting fashion/glamour for all those years?

i have been shooting since i am 17 years old..while i did some artistic work with models, i didn't concentrate on model photography until about two years ago. i have seen a couple of young photographers suggest that they aren't "some creepy old photographer"..they palyed up the fact that they were young and way cooler then the older guys..but their pictures were crap..and that is ultimately what you will be judged on..not your age, but your skills..

some young guys have a great eye for photogrpahy, but lack the technical skills..

you for example seem to be concentrating on purchasing expensive equipment, instead of working on your skills..
the best $100 you could spend on photography would be a photography class..not a facny lens ...the second best spent $100 would be on a tripod..(you missed my sarcasm before when i suggested you needed a tripod, becasue all your images are soft)..

some of the best photogrpahy i have seen to this day, work that completely blew me away..came from some guy using 30 year old film equipment worth maybe $300.

so work on yours skils, dont worry and your equipment or your age.

Jun 11 05 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

MS Photo Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by Cicada: 

i have been shooting since i am 17 years old..while i did some artistic work with models, i didn't concentrate on model photography until about two years ago. i have seen a couple of young photographers suggest that they aren't "some creepy old photographer"..they palyed up the fact that they were young and way cooler then the older guys..but their pictures were crap..and that is ultimately what you will be judged on..not your age, but your skills..

some young guys have a great eye for photogrpahy, but lack the technical skills..

you for example seem to be concentrating on purchasing expensive equipment, instead of working on your skills..
the best $100 you could spend on photography would be a photography class..not a facny lens ...the second best spent $100 would be on a tripod..(you missed my sarcasm before when i suggested you needed a tripod, becasue all your images are soft)..

some of the best photogrpahy i have seen to this day, work that completely blew me away..came from some guy using 30 year old film equipment worth maybe $300.

so work on yours skils, dont worry and your equipment or your age.

Wow, what an arrogant post. 

Jun 11 05 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Michael Sloane: 
Wow, what an arrogant post.

was there something inaccurate with my observations and advice? do you have better advice that sounds less arrogant?

Jun 11 05 01:47 pm Link

Model

Contessa HoneyWillow

Portland, Oregon, US

Haha, this post caught my eye right away.  This is my boyfriend, aka Infinite Lux, # 4738.  When I first saw his picture, I was like, I can't believe I'm working with this guy...but his stuff is actually pretty good!
For some reason, I try to stay away from the younger photographers, because if someone is closer to my age, it just makes things that much more uncomfortable.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/ … lexgun.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/ … 011_11.jpg

Dangit, I tried to post these and I couldn't figure it out >_

Jun 11 05 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Lemi: 

For some reason, I try to stay away from the younger photographers, because if someone is closer to my age, it just makes things that much more uncomfortable.

Why???

Is there sexual tension or something?

Jun 11 05 02:34 pm Link

Model

Contessa HoneyWillow

Portland, Oregon, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by Lemi: 

Why???

In my experience, yes, a lot of it is.  There was a photographer that wanted to work with me who was about 26, and engaged.  He invited me up to check out him and his fiance's gallery and the whole time, he was flirting with me in front of her, trying to get me to stay the night, since I live about an hour away >_<  Yea, his fiancee did not look too happy.  As far as I know...they're not together anymore.

Jun 11 05 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Posted by Cicada: 

I think the reason you don't see too many younger photographers is simply because it takes time to
A) Develop your style into something consistent and marketable
and
B) Actually find the appropriate venues/agencies/outlets to market your work to.
I didn't start shooting til I was 22.  I was cocky as hell and just knew that I'd make PDN's 30 under 30 issue by the time I was 25...
I just turned 27.  I still haven't made the issue, or been in contact with PDN at all, for that matter.  I've barely gotten to where I actually feel I have a consistent style/visual vocabulary and something to say with it. 
An illustrator once told me it'd take AT LEAST 15 years of hard work to create any type of artistic career... I'm starting to see that he's right - as much as I hate it.
Yeah, there's always some fluke to break the rule, but for every 1 teenage prodigy, there's 10,000 other guys who've busted their ass to get where they're at.
Hell...
Steven Meisel is seen as the "young bad-boy" of fashion...
the guy is damn-near 40.  Helmut Newton was still making work at 80 before he drove his Cadillac off a cliff - but his best work would've been done 20 years prior - that'd make him 60 when he produced at his peak...
It just takes time.
Which, I'm realizing, is kind of a good thing.  It's a way of weeding out those who aren't serious or committed.
So if it's what you wanna do, put in your time.

Jun 11 05 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Lemi: 

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by Lemi: 

Why???

In my experience, yes, a lot of it is.  There was a photographer that wanted to work with me who was about 26, and engaged.  He invited me up to check out him and his fiance's gallery and the whole time, he was flirting with me in front of her, trying to get me to stay the night, since I live about an hour away >_<  Yea, his fiancee did not look too happy.  As far as I know...they're not together anymore.

So, just one experience?

Jun 11 05 04:05 pm Link

Model

Contessa HoneyWillow

Portland, Oregon, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by Lemi: 

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by Lemi: 

Why???

So, just one experience?

No, it wasn't just one experience, but that one takes the cake.  Especially after I found out he had an Asian fetish.  Younger photographers tend to think that I'll want to hang out with them afterwards or they'll want to take me on a date or something, and it's hard to draw the line when someone is around the same age as you.  But hey, eveyrone has to start somewhere, right?

Jun 11 05 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Posted by Lemi: 

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by Lemi: 

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by Lemi: 

Sounds like your string of bad luck. I woulodnt say this is true of all photographers, just maybe the ones yer hooking up with.
Why???

So, just one experience?

No, it wasn't just one experience, but that one takes the cake.  Especially after I found out he had an Asian fetish.  Younger photographers tend to think that I'll want to hang out with them afterwards or they'll want to take me on a date or something, and it's hard to draw the line when someone is around the same age as you.  But hey, eveyrone has to start somewhere, right?

Maybe just a string of bad luck, I wouldnt say all photographers are like that, maybe just the ones you are hooking up with. Also if more than half your portfolio is nudes, then I'd imagine maybe the younger photographers arnt going to be as professional about their approach with you.

Jun 11 05 05:26 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Cicada:

I usually prefer older people in general. I find I relate better to people 10 or more years older than I am in general, not just photographers. 

I do very rarely encounter photographers who are younger than I am (NYC IS the mecca for recent RIT grads, after all), but I mostly work with photographers on their personal work, and the younger guys are typically focused on getting their career off the ground and building a marketable book with agency girls.

Jun 11 05 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Nexusix Photography

Sparks, Nevada, US

Posted by BlacklistVisual: 

Posted by Cicada: 

I think the reason you don't see too many younger photographers is simply because it takes time to
A) Develop your style into something consistent and marketable
and
B) Actually find the appropriate venues/agencies/outlets to market your work to.
I didn't start shooting til I was 22.  I was cocky as hell and just knew that I'd make PDN's 30 under 30 issue by the time I was 25...
I just turned 27.  I still haven't made the issue, or been in contact with PDN at all, for that matter.  I've barely gotten to where I actually feel I have a consistent style/visual vocabulary and something to say with it. 
An illustrator once told me it'd take AT LEAST 15 years of hard work to create any type of artistic career... I'm starting to see that he's right - as much as I hate it.
Yeah, there's always some fluke to break the rule, but for every 1 teenage prodigy, there's 10,000 other guys who've busted their ass to get where they're at.
Hell...
Steven Meisel is seen as the "young bad-boy" of fashion...
the guy is damn-near 40.  Helmut Newton was still making work at 80 before he drove his Cadillac off a cliff - but his best work would've been done 20 years prior - that'd make him 60 when he produced at his peak...
It just takes time.
Which, I'm realizing, is kind of a good thing.  It's a way of weeding out those who aren't serious or committed.
So if it's what you wanna do, put in your time.

interesting, I used to tuter in the darkroom when I was in college.  I was a 3rd/4th year student and about 34.  I had a girl ask me to show her the shortcuts for making a good print quickly like I could do. She was determined that I knew some trick to get don'e with my prints so quickly and she really didn't seem interested in "learning" the craft.  I looked her straight in the eye and imparted these words of wisdom "go back to your enlarger and print this image a thousand times, then you will begin to understand what you need to do to become more precise and faster."  I've found that this philosphy holds true for and part of any craft and if you love it, it is well worth the effort. 

That said, I am just now parting company with my employer in an effort to persue photography on a full time basis.  I have a feeling it will be one hell of a journey. 

Oh, and by the way, that 1st year photography student never talked to me again...

Peace,
G.

Jun 11 05 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Well Lemi, one way to counteract that is to "rave" about your boyfriend, even if you don't have one. That normally puts younger guys back in professional mode.

Jun 11 05 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Nexusix Photography

Sparks, Nevada, US

P.S.  I've been at it since about 93 if you count school...

Jun 11 05 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 
Well Lemi, one way to counteract that is to "rave" about your boyfriend, even if you don't have one. That normally puts younger guys back in professional mode.

It's a shame a model has to resort to using reverse or crooked psychology in order to get a professional point across when simple, blunt and firm English communication coupled with a serious poker face should do the trick.

For Example: "I don't date, or go to bed with Photographers"

Jun 11 05 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Nexusix Photography

Sparks, Nevada, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

It's a shame a model has to resort to using reverse or crooked psychology in order to get a professional point across when simple, blunt and firm English communication coupled with a serious poker face should do the trick.

For Example: "I don't date, or go to bed with Photographers"

Ohh Darn Joe and I was so hoping we had a future. *eveil grin*

Jun 11 05 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 
My problem (I believe) is that I look younger than I am, i'm aloof and carefree for the most part, and not to toot my own horn, but i'm a decent looking guy in good condition. Maybe the TV stigma of some fat bald middle aged man loaded with photography gear is what comes to mind with people when they think "photographer."

What's your views on this?

It's not just Photographers. Take my experience in the I.T. world. I got the same treatment from the mainframe guys back in 1990. One hiring manager flat out told me, "Hm, I just can't picture you sitting behind a terminal programming COBOL".

In my head I was thinking, "...and you'd have no problem picturing me bussing dishes at your favorite restaurant eh fuckface?"

Jun 11 05 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 
"I don't date, or go to bed with Photographers"

So, you want to do it here in the hallway?

I'M JUST KIDDING!!!! lol
Anybody that knows me knows I have a stupidly funny sense of humor, people.

Jun 11 05 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 
"I don't date, or go to bed with Photographers"

So, you want to do it here in the hallway?

I'M JUST KIDDING!!!! lol
Anybody that knows me knows I have a stupidly funny sense of humor, people.

LOL

Jun 11 05 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

ImpactFoto

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Lemi: 

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by Lemi: 

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by Lemi: 

Why???

So, just one experience?

Relating your experience with this guy to his age is absolutely absurd...  you think he's gonna be any less of a wierdo when he's 40?!?

Speaking from experience as a guy who will turn 40 himself all too soon.. I'm every bit as strange as I was when I was 26... or 20 for that matter!!  lol

-Thomas-

Jun 11 05 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Well there are two looks:

The digital photographer: Short, but unkept hair, needs a bath, cig and a bit over weight (also under 30)

The "Real Photographer": Long unkept hair, thin, nervous and keeps checking pockets in their bush jacket, red nose from drinking, stains from Polaroids on their hands and wearing their Rolex Exploer ll.....

Real photographers do not wear barets unless they shoot glam. and then they are not real photographers anyway

Jun 11 05 09:10 pm Link