Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > so I have been asked a lot lately. . .

Makeup Artist

KLF Makeup

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Now I wish I didn't know how to do hair so I could have a legitimate reason to come.

XP

Apr 02 08 09:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

Keisha Willis Beauty

Friendly, Maryland, US

Angel Graves wrote:

Pull out couch!  Called it!  You lose!
muahahahahahahahahahahaha big_smile

That's messed up, I asked first..  (pouting like a little kid) :-(((  Guess I'll be on the floor, Don't feel bad for me Angel I'll be alright.. (sigh)

Apr 02 08 10:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

Keisha Willis Beauty

Friendly, Maryland, US

Karri Farris wrote:
Now I wish I didn't know how to do hair so I could have a legitimate reason to come.

XP

You can come just to hang out with us and lend your expertise

Apr 02 08 10:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

KLF Makeup

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I'll be the intermission entertainment.

Apr 02 08 10:03 am Link

Makeup Artist

Keisha Willis Beauty

Friendly, Maryland, US

Karri Farris wrote:
I'll be the intermission entertainment.

Oh that'll work... :-D

Apr 02 08 10:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

About Faces-Lynn

Detroit, Michigan, US

Angel Graves wrote:
I have been asked a lot lately if I would be willing/interested in teaching some of the tricks of the trade I know to the MUAs and people I have been working with.  None of the more elaborate things I know how to do or anything realy involved but something more like 'light hair', products that should be in every light hair kit, things I never leave home without, how to keep a flat iron from ironing a funky line in hair how to make it curl... you know simple stuff. smile  Ok simple for me not so simple for others obviously, more to the point say people have asked me and I'm curious how something like this could be done, say perhaps a demonstration day or something so you guys see how it's done and get to try it out afterwards.  Any suggestions or recommendations or any more people who would like to know some of this stuff who are willing to wanting to get together?  I know this likely should have wound up in events, which it will if it does happen but since it's in the inquiry stage I want opinions on it more than attendees tongue

If you wanna come down to the Metro Detroit area and do one-I have a studio that we could have it in!  I sure would love this kind of instruction and I would be willing to bet there are a bunch of artists in the area that would love to take it!

LOL and that way Karri could be the entertainment much easier!  LOL

Apr 02 08 10:11 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

About Faces-Lynn wrote:

If you wanna come down to the Metro Detroit area and do one-I have a studio that we could have it in!  I sure would love this kind of instruction and I would be willing to bet there are a bunch of artists in the area that would love to take it!

LOL and that way Karri could be the entertainment much easier!  LOL

If we were in the metro area, I could go home!  And Constance could come over and Karri could be there... we could charge a huge door fee because you guys would have the 3 coolest chicks teaching you tongue

Apr 02 08 06:11 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Keshia Singleton wrote:

That's messed up, I asked first..  (pouting like a little kid) :-(((  Guess I'll be on the floor, Don't feel bad for me Angel I'll be alright.. (sigh)

Ok well since you didn't know I am a munchkin... I do not take up much room and quite simple I could sleep at the foot of Cyn's bed and she prolly wouldn't even notice lol
But you might have asked first you so forgot to call it... I mean come on now did you skip over being a kid and calling for shotgun?
Oh!  In a rather exciting developement a fantastic and wonderfuly multi-talented person is now working with me to tape and edit this whole thing and helping me get ideas etc. on how to make a DVD of the workshops so that we can provide them to people who can not attend or are in places I won't be going for a while... like California for example lol
Also tho I did some research today and traveling times from here to there and if I take the train down I need to take approx. 4 days off... 2 to travel and 2 to teach in NYC so I need to figure out how to just fly so I can come down friday evening and leave monday morning early or sunday night late and won't miss much up here in the process.  But staying at Cyn's while I'm there will keep the whole thing alot cheaper lol well right up until we go to Bloomingdale's that is tongue

Apr 02 08 06:18 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Here's a link to the schedule of events @ the ABA show. 
http://www.abacanada.com/toronto/toronto.asp
I believe the price of the tickets are $65 for both days but I can't find the pricing sheet so I called and asked for a fax of the ticket prices I should have tomorrow.
I don't know where it went but I'll have a new one tomorrow smile

Apr 02 08 08:19 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Tabitha Hughes wrote:
So when's the workshop gonna be?
I'm down smile

Sorry when this went to page 2 I forgot to go back and see if there was something I missed on page 1 yikes
Until I work out the taping of the workshop possibility and the whole where to do it here thing we won't do one here just yet.  And you already got a free lesson in hiding bobby pins and putting fresh flowers in a model's hair tongue  Plus you learned more about doing elaborate hair at a shoot than some other people did...
But I will for sure be sending you an invite, even if I have to drive over and get you myself! tongue

Apr 02 08 11:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cynthia ORourke

New York, New York, US

Angel Graves wrote:
Ok well since you didn't know I am a munchkin... I do not take up much room and quite simple I could sleep at the foot of Cyn's bed and she prolly wouldn't even notice lol

I might not notice, but my fiance will be all:  "Hey Cyn, there's ...er... a small woman in our bed.  Is it my birthday or april fools?"

But don't worry... we have TWO couches.  Although only one pulls out.

Apr 03 08 08:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

Keisha Willis Beauty

Friendly, Maryland, US

Cynthia ORourke wrote:

I might not notice, but my fiance will be all:  "Hey Cyn, there's ...er... a small woman in our bed.  Is it my birthday or april fools?"

Well I'm calling that one!!!  lol

That's great news about the DVDs Angel!!!.. Just don't forget us when you get all big and stuff.  So when you're on one of those making the video shows and your doing Mariah Carrey's hair.. Don't forget where the idea came from.  Atleast get me and Cyn in to assist.. :-) and when you selling them bad boy of HSN - give us a shout out.. LMBO

Apr 03 08 09:41 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Cynthia ORourke wrote:

Pffft, I don't wanna sleep at the end of your bed anymore... I'll call the small couch then so a normal sized person can use the pull out tongue

Apr 03 08 05:53 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Keshia Singleton wrote:

Well I'm calling that one!!!  lol

That's great news about the DVDs Angel!!!.. Just don't forget us when you get all big and stuff.  So when you're on one of those making the video shows and your doing Mariah Carrey's hair.. Don't forget where the idea came from.  Atleast get me and Cyn in to assist.. :-) and when you selling them bad boy of HSN - give us a shout out.. LMBO

Mariah Carrey... riiiiight.
You guys remember who taught you these cool tricks when you're winning an Academy Award for best hair/MUA in a drama t.v. series and best hair/MUA in a motion picture and you have yourselves a deal! tongue

Apr 03 08 05:55 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Angel Graves wrote:
Here's a link to the schedule of events @ the ABA show. 
http://www.abacanada.com/toronto/toronto.asp
I believe the price of the tickets are $65 for both days but I can't find the pricing sheet so I called and asked for a fax of the ticket prices I should have tomorrow.
I don't know where it went but I'll have a new one tomorrow smile

Ok so here's the pricing as taken from the fax....
Students w/ ID - $25/1day $30/2day
Everyone ese - $65/2day @ door $59/2day in advance
                     $45/1day @ door $39/1day in advance

Sunday 9am-5pm
Monday 9am-4pm

If you guys are going and want to hook up and say hi please message me and we'll work out a way to meet up!  Don't forget to bring your business cards guys, this is a great opportunity to network ^^

Apr 03 08 05:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jenn Carbone Two Faced

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

What scares me about teaching people...are they going to use me for services again?  Also I have gotten paid for doing many consults when I was in a salon full time....I dont think that there is anyway I can teach someone for free no matter how small it is and worry about if I will never shoot with them again due to the fact they can now do my job( OK they cant but they feel they can) Some people are very small minded and wont think outside the box and do the same thing over and over again....and they will think they are freaking awesome!

Apr 07 08 07:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

About Faces-Lynn

Detroit, Michigan, US

So Angel I am thinking we should try and set up a workshop here in the metro detroit area.  May could be a good time.  What do you think?

Apr 07 08 07:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cynthia ORourke

New York, New York, US

Two Faced Art wrote:
What scares me about teaching people...are they going to use me for services again?  Also I have gotten paid for doing many consults when I was in a salon full time....I dont think that there is anyway I can teach someone for free no matter how small it is and worry about if I will never shoot with them again due to the fact they can now do my job( OK they cant but they feel they can) Some people are very small minded and wont think outside the box and do the same thing over and over again....and they will think they are freaking awesome!

I think this is a legitimate concern.  But I do think Angel is not really talking about revealing trade secrets, just helping us do basic, what your mamma-shoulda-taughtcha-but-in-my-case-didn't kind of simple hair.  And just getting used to/being comfortable manipulating someones else's hair.  (Which is half my battle I think)

I think in this particular case... as a potential student... I am a makeup artist first.  I don't WANT to do hair, but it is often expected of me, and I hate being incompetent.  I would much rather work with an excellent hairstylist on a shoot than do it myself.  But I do understand the client's perspective of not wanting to pay two people so that one of them can put the model's hair in a ponytail.  And I doubt a full time hairstylist with a salon following would really want to lose a day at the salon to do a pony.  But that's just my perspective.

Apr 07 08 08:21 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

I agree with Cyn here, the whole point of the workshop was to help these guys feel comfy doing simple things we get ticked off being asked to do at a shoot like blow dry someone out to volume or pull her hair up in a pony.  I'm not going to teach them how to finger wave or how to do some fancy bridal hair... that's a lot more technical than I was asked to do.  I do however feel that if I teach someone something and they go on to surpass my skill at that particular set than I did a mighty fine job teaching them.  It reflects on me being a good teacher and that's enough for me, I don't see me teaching them to make a proper pony tail or fix a flat iron line in thier hair as giving away our most indepth secrets.  A lot of this is stuff I didn't learn from my mom and wish I had... same as Cyn.  How many of you run a curling iron in your hair and crimp the ends wonky and want to know how to fix it or how to not do it again?  It's not a life altering skill but if someone never taught you how, how would you know how to manipulate that tool?

Apr 07 08 09:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jenn Carbone Two Faced

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I do both hair and Makeup I like to do the little things if my name goes on it as i did the hair and MU and for some reason the end shot is not all that...i hate to put in credits i only did mu in this one and not the hair or vice versa...im anal! smile sorry!

Apr 07 08 10:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Teresa Tatsch MUA HS

San Antonio, Texas, US

Hey girl, if you'd like to run a weekend type class, you might pick Candace's brain for some info.  She runs her traveling classes and is a total sweetheart.  She could probably advise you on the material matter to make the classes even more of compelling to come to.

IMHO, all mua's should know how to do light hair.  I almost never get booked for just hair or just makeup.  My clients almost always want both, unless they have a specific hair or mua person they already use. 

Hell!  Even though I'm a licensed hs, I could consider attending!  Sometimes its nice to get into another stylists head.  Everyone has tricks they learn along the way...You never know when you'll learn something new!

Good luck dear,
tmt

Apr 08 08 08:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

Keisha Willis Beauty

Friendly, Maryland, US

Cynthia ORourke wrote:
I think this is a legitimate concern.  But I do think Angel is not really talking about revealing trade secrets, just helping us do basic, what your mamma-shoulda-taughtcha-but-in-my-case-didn't kind of simple hair.  And just getting used to/being comfortable manipulating someones else's hair.  (Which is half my battle I think)

I think in this particular case... as a potential student... I am a makeup artist first.  I don't WANT to do hair, but it is often expected of me, and I hate being incompetent.  I would much rather work with an excellent hairstylist on a shoot than do it myself.  But I do understand the client's perspective of not wanting to pay two people so that one of them can put the model's hair in a ponytail.  And I doubt a full time hairstylist with a salon following would really want to lose a day at the salon to do a pony.  But that's just my perspective.

Ditto... I don't want to do hair at all.. But the photog just want the model to have different looks and Cyn is 100% correct a hair sylist doesn't want to loose a whole day to do this 5 min hair that I'm going to attemp to do.. Your job is safe with me.. :-)

Apr 08 08 11:23 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Keshia Singleton wrote:
Ditto... I don't want to do hair at all.. But the photog just want the model to have different looks and Cyn is 100% correct a hair sylist doesn't want to loose a whole day to do this 5 min hair that I'm going to attemp to do.. Your job is safe with me.. :-)

I honestly understand the position you girls are put into when we don't want to accept a job like that... it's a nightmare.  I often get asked to do make up because I am just going to be doing something 'simple' and they don't want to hire an MUA for a 1/2 day rate to apply some lip gloss.  It's never as simple as the photog makes it sound so I do have a kit of things but I'm no where near as qualified to do stuff as you guys are nor would I claim to be.  I have no intention of teaching you guys to cut and color lol nor do I think you have any interest in bridal styles etc. (ok well the NYC class anyway) so I don't feel by sharing what I know I am compromising anyone's future ability to work.  Photog's can't afford a 1/2 day rate for 2 people for one to do elaborate make-up and a simple pony tail or elaborate hair with natural make-up, it's ridiculous to think they would pay that or that the one doing nothing complicated is going to spend the travel expense to arrive in there for that either.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you guys learn to make a pony tail that isn't messy and a flat iron without creases ironed in and you learn to never fish-hook a curl in the iron again... it will make my day smile  Besides that there's so many products out there for hair... I can show you which ones are the best to use and why I use them in my 'light' kit smile

Apr 08 08 07:23 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Teresa Tatsch MUA HS wrote:
Hey girl, if you'd like to run a weekend type class, you might pick Candace's brain for some info.  She runs her traveling classes and is a total sweetheart.  She could probably advise you on the material matter to make the classes even more of compelling to come to.

IMHO, all mua's should know how to do light hair.  I almost never get booked for just hair or just makeup.  My clients almost always want both, unless they have a specific hair or mua person they already use. 

Hell!  Even though I'm a licensed hs, I could consider attending!  Sometimes its nice to get into another stylists head.  Everyone has tricks they learn along the way...You never know when you'll learn something new!

Good luck dear,
tmt

Thanks for the kind words, and you are right... I spend hours listening and learning from other people every chance I get.  I feel like I can never learn it all and I want to know as much as possible!  I sat in on a class at the ABA with John Steinberg yesterday... amazing man with alot of excellent advice and eventho it was geared toward people just coming in it gave me a lot to think about when I teach and how I can better prepare others to go on in our industry.  If you ever get a chance to listen to something like that from our of the masters of your craft, I highly advise you to do so... it will renew your passion for your craft and inspire you to share and influence what's coming up in the ranks behind us!  The future of our industry now is the people we can teach today... remember that when you don't want to share a tip with eachother smile
PS Candace is locateable where?

Apr 08 08 07:30 pm Link

Model

Lucine

Northwest, North Carolina, US

w00t go Angel!

Apr 08 08 07:32 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Miss Mouse wrote:
w00t go Angel!

Apr 08 08 07:41 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

So I thought it might be time to revive this thread since the big spring fashion show rush is near an end and it's time to get back on track with the workshop!
Please feel free to PM me if this is something you're interested in and I'll start a proper event thread once we sort out the fine details smile

Apr 22 08 08:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Relaxing Minds- MUA Taj

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Did I miss the post?  What's in the light kit?  I have to do hair as part of a tv segment in May.  All I have in my makeup kit is hair spray and a comb.  My specialty is skin and nails. If I wanted to do hair then I woulda gone to school for Cosmo instead of Esthetics then Nails.  Would love to sit in a a mini hair class.  I've been using books and my own personal hair stylist to educate me.

Apr 22 08 09:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeove

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

Can you come to california?? smile lol

Apr 22 08 09:12 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Nothing specific has been posted since it seems that the class for the NYC group is a bit different in thier needs than the ones in Detroit/Chicago wanted and here in Toronto again a bit different still.
The idea for the class was bring a willing model to work with and I'd bring some things I consider invaluable as part of the workshop fee.  There are little things that should be in everyone's kits and then based on what the group wanted to learn and had already I could tailor something to what thier needs are.
But as you said hair is not your gig and if you wanted to do it pro you would have skipped esthatics and gone for cosmo, that's how the workshops idea came to be smile
I can't afford to lose a day to make a pony tail or flat iron someone's hair no more than someone's willing to pay my day rates for that service either so it works out in theory for you guys to know that and make yourselves more valuable a commodity smile

Apr 22 08 09:27 pm Link

Hair Stylist

The March Hare

Portland, Oregon, US

This'll solve everything. 

Put a small fee w/ you lessons so that it'll weed out the people who are just talking.  Plus your time is worth soemthing.

#2 bring a release form.  WHich can also double as a receipt.  Doesn't have to be anything special.  Just makes it so that you taught a technique and if the person screws it up, they can't say "well this person taught it to me this way" to avoid taking all the blame.  Don't you love sharing?

Apr 23 08 12:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cynthia ORourke

New York, New York, US

I was just thinking about this again Angel... I lost a job this past monday cause they wanted me to do hair as well.  "Well I only do light hair, is that ok?  What exactly do you need for this TV host who will be interviewing man on the street style?"  "Ermm... let me get back to you..."  30 mins later.  "Yeah, we're gonna have to look for someone else, they said they need EXTENSIVE HAIR" "Um, how extensive could they possibly need?  Does she need extensions?  an updo?  I don't get it."  "Yeah, um, sorry.  Bye."  Followed by steam out my ears. ;D

Apr 23 08 09:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

Keisha Willis Beauty

Friendly, Maryland, US

Cynthia ORourke wrote:
I was just thinking about this again Angel... I lost a job this past monday cause they wanted me to do hair as well.  "Well I only do light hair, is that ok?  What exactly do you need for this TV host who will be interviewing man on the street style?"  "Ermm... let me get back to you..."  30 mins later.  "Yeah, we're gonna have to look for someone else, they said they need EXTENSIVE HAIR" "Um, how extensive could they possibly need?  Does she need extensions?  an updo?  I don't get it."  "Yeah, um, sorry.  Bye."  Followed by steam out my ears. ;D

awwwhh.. Angel I'm willing to pay.. I want this class for real.  In leiu of Cynthia recent experience ( I hate when I loose a job over something like that too so I feel ya) maybe we need a break down of where we really are.  For instance, I say that I only do simple hair but I have done so much on shoots. I can do Mohawks, flat iron, simple up dos, jazzy pony tails, add a braid, etc.  I'm thinking about Cyn's job that she lost - Did they want her to cut and color, that's extensive.  So maybe there's a term coined for right in the middle and you can share/tell (not teach) with us what skills are required at each level.. We don't want to do major hair but we want to intelligently say what we can do.. Because maybe Cyn had the skills for that skill but thought she was at a lower level than she really was and the person was turned off for some reason by the term light or simple hair experience.  Am I making sense?

Apr 23 08 10:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cynthia ORourke

New York, New York, US

Keshia Singleton wrote:

awwwhh.. Angel I'm willing to pay.. I want this class for real.  In leiu of Cynthia recent experience ( I hate when I loose a job over something like that too so I feel ya) maybe we need a break down of where we really are.  For instance, I say that I only do simple hair but I have done so much on shoots. I can do Mohawks, flat iron, simple up dos, jazzy pony tails, add a braid, etc.  I'm thinking about Cyn's job that she lost - Did they want her to cut and color, that's extensive.  So maybe there's a term coined for right in the middle and you can share/tell (not teach) with us what skills are required at each level.. We don't want to do major hair but we want to intelligently say what we can do.. Because maybe Cyn had the skills for that skill but thought she was at a lower level than she really was and the person was turned off for some reason by the term light or simple hair experience.  Am I making sense?

Good point Keisha... but I really DO suck at hair.  I'm actually talking UP my experience when I say I do "light hair".  But it does mean different things to different people.  I was laughing over the "extensive" hair thing though... I'm still wondering what exactly that meant to these people?

Apr 23 08 12:09 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Cynthia ORourke wrote:

Good point Keisha... but I really DO suck at hair.  I'm actually talking UP my experience when I say I do "light hair".  But it does mean different things to different people.  I was laughing over the "extensive" hair thing though... I'm still wondering what exactly that meant to these people?

Seriously exactly how extensive can man on the street interview hair possibly be? 
I digress lol yes we can cover how to intelligently convey what you can and are willing/comfortable with doing so that you do not come off like a goof smile
I think it would be best if you girls sent me a message with what you'd like to learn and what you feel like you need to learn or want to learn a better way to do so that we can realy make sure the specific things are met for the workshop.  Since the only one not traveling for NYC is Cyn we better make sure we get it right in one take since we can't rewind and start again tongue

Apr 23 08 10:26 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

nudge back to the front pages smile Good morning NY ^^

Apr 26 08 08:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

Keisha Willis Beauty

Friendly, Maryland, US

Hey Angel,

Maybe also you can critique what we've done.  For instance I got some critiques on my book and I wouldn't have paid as much attention to the hair because it's not my thang so to speak.  So in these instance the hair is messing up my makeup...But the critiques were dead on and great so maybe you can see what we've done and tell us where we are going horribly wrong..lol

Apr 26 08 09:16 am Link

Makeup Artist

Forever and Always

London, Ontario, Canada

Sign me up!!

Apr 26 08 10:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reine D

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Oh boo sad You're in Toronto sad

Consider taking this tutorial on the road? wink

Apr 26 08 11:12 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Reine G wrote:
Oh boo sad You're in Toronto sad

Consider taking this tutorial on the road? wink

If going to NYC, Detroit, Chicago and possibly LA isn't on the road I don't know what is lol.  We've also discussed taping the Toronto workshop and making a DVD out of it.

Apr 26 08 11:17 am Link