Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > so I have been asked a lot lately. . .

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Keshia Singleton wrote:
Hey Angel,

Maybe also you can critique what we've done.  For instance I got some critiques on my book and I wouldn't have paid as much attention to the hair because it's not my thang so to speak.  So in these instance the hair is messing up my makeup...But the critiques were dead on and great so maybe you can see what we've done and tell us where we are going horribly wrong..lol

From what I've seen in your online book, things look good to me.  I can see one I would have gone a bit of a different direction with but still would have kept in the manner you did it.  I think once you feel more comfy doing things you already can do that you'll feel a lot better about presenting both as work you should be proud of.  Honestly I'm liking what's there with a little tweeking that comes from patience and practice smile  Make sure you bring your book when you come to Cyn's and we can discuss further how to make things more of what you want to see and can be proud of.

Apr 26 08 11:21 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Nudge tongue Good morning NYC! It's too early to be out of bed LA tongue

Apr 29 08 06:34 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Bumping this post back up for topic revival ^^
Now that my schedule is seriously lighter let's see about sorting this out and making it happen smile
Here's a link to the new thread as well
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … age=1#last

That and now that Cynthia has been married a little while it's going to be seriously easier to sleep on her pull out couch which PS I still call!  Yes that's right it's still mine!  I had to get a hotel room the last time I went to see her so fair is fair tongue

Nov 27 08 08:42 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

bump for the hump day smile

Dec 02 08 05:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ms BSK

Brooklyn, New York, US

Hi Angel,

I'm def interested. I thought I missed out on all of the hair goodness, but I'm glad to see that this is still open ended. I think there are a lot of MUAs who would like to learn light to medium hair. Most of us aren't trying to cut, color or bleach, but we don't want to lose out on jobs or tests because we can't...flat iron for instance. I can't do jack booty and it sucks. I have a manequin that I practice on and even she looks at me like "Wha'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis".

What is in my light hair kit:
Oil sheen and that isn't for hair either
A comb

I'm sad I know so please, please, please come to NY...um please.

PS I'm an event planner by day so if you need some help getting this organized and off the ground please send me a PM. For real.

Dec 03 08 08:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

Keisha Willis Beauty

Friendly, Maryland, US

Angel Graves wrote:

If going to NYC, Detroit, Chicago and possibly LA isn't on the road I don't know what is lol.  We've also discussed taping the Toronto workshop and making a DVD out of it.

This is a great option for me.. NYC is a bit of a trip for me 4 or 5 hours.. I do need help though bad.  I need to make my work neater and since hair isn't my first love I see it through another set of eyes.

Dec 03 08 08:57 am Link

Hair Stylist

A J T

Brooklyn, New York, US

I soooo don't have the patience to read all of these responses, so I don't know if this has already been said, but I'd say you charge your regular day rate for like a group of 4 people so you're not all over the place (you know one of the biggest problems in education in this country is over large classes! =P).

Dec 03 08 10:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cynthia ORourke

New York, New York, US

Angel where you been???  What's UP?

I'm languishing here with my lack of hair skills. 
You got the pull out couch.  I'll even vacuum all the cat hair off it first.  wink

Dec 03 08 10:42 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Keisha Singleton wrote:

This is a great option for me.. NYC is a bit of a trip for me 4 or 5 hours.. I do need help though bad.  I need to make my work neater and since hair isn't my first love I see it through another set of eyes.

Well once you learn a few tricks you'll be able to see your hair work with the same critical eye you examine your makeup work with, I firmly believe that the phrase education can take you anywhere is true.  Once you learn a few things you'll be able to build up on a lot  of the things you can learn easily smile  Anyone who can apply liquid liner precisely can do hair if you have the faith and patience to apply the same skill and precision smile

Dec 03 08 11:05 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Cynthia ORourke wrote:
Angel where you been???  What's UP?

I'm languishing here with my lack of hair skills. 
You got the pull out couch.  I'll even vacuum all the cat hair off it first.  wink

lol oh how kind!  Bring your long haired sister over too so you can learn those cool braids!
I have a new cell and stuff now but the same old email s I'll message you my new numbers and we can start sorting things out again.   MJ is a travel agent so I'll put her on the look for a cost effective flight or something back out there smile  I'm going idly nuts out here in cowboy land sad   I want to come home!!!

Dec 03 08 11:08 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Alexander runs this wrote:
I soooo don't have the patience to read all of these responses, so I don't know if this has already been said, but I'd say you charge your regular day rate for like a group of 4 people so you're not all over the place (you know one of the biggest problems in education in this country is over large classes! =P).

lol yeah if you'd been able to sift thru the posts you'd see we had a class planned for them to learn basic skills in a size of about 4-5 and spend the two days at it so they all had time to learn and practice over and over to be sure they were confident. . . it just happened that we all got busy over the spring and summer and then I left NY/Toronto when my visa expired so we're picking it back up again but thanks for your input.

Dec 03 08 11:11 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Ok there are reasonable flights mid March or February to the NYC area for me, so for those participants wishing to attend in NYC do either of those months work for you?  I had MJ search them up and she used the 10-15th for each month so if we plan it now before the end of December we should be able t negotiate some very reasonable flights for early spring. smile  PM me if you need to tongue

Dec 04 08 12:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Raychie Loves Makeup

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Keisha Singleton wrote:

I really think I would.. Cyn can I bunk with you???...lol   I really need to learn.. Too many times I'm on a photoshoot the photog looks at me and says "OK, change her hair"  I'm like homie what do you want me to do??.. :-D But I take the spray and comb and try to mimic something I saw in a magazine and hope works

xD

word.

Dec 04 08 12:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeove

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

Angel when you coming to San Fran??

smile

Cant do NY

But glad you are back on the boards, I MISSED YOU!!! smile

F

Dec 05 08 01:36 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

OMG!!! That baby boy is cute enough to eat! 

Dec 06 08 12:53 am Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeove

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

Angel Graves wrote:
OMG!!! That baby boy is cute enough to eat! 

Dec 07 08 02:01 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Ok ladies the NYC class is tentatively scheduled for mid March.  Final call for interested attendees so we can make final plans.  At the request of the original organizers we will be having a basic class.  Light hair, kit needs, tool usages, easy and quick styles, and you will need to bring someone or something to practice on. 
Please message me directly for rate info for the class or any other questions you might have.  Thanks ^^
~angel~

Dec 07 08 02:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

E E S

Los Angeles, California, US

Thinking of doing any seminars in L.A.? For some reason, I can do complicated updos and crazy avant garde hair (er, crimp, hot iron curl, back comb and put in rats + pieces- I'm sure I'm doing it all wrong), but I would like to know how to:

-give a proper blow out

-backcomb properly (I always have to overdo it, because it will fall in 30 minutes)

-how to do a curler set (for a full look and a Veronica Lake look)

-how to curl with a flat iron

-give a guy a trim on the sides (would that be too much to ask for?)-  a few times I've been on a job (all commercials) where at the last minute the client wants the talent's hair trimmed- I do it, then hide it with product.

Dec 07 08 03:34 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Eleanor Sabaduquia wrote:
Thinking of doing any seminars in L.A.? For some reason, I can do complicated updos and crazy avant garde hair (er, crimp, hot iron curl, back comb and put in rats + pieces- I'm sure I'm doing it all wrong), but I would like to know how to:

-give a proper blow out

-backcomb properly (I always have to overdo it, because it will fall in 30 minutes)

-how to do a curler set (for a full look and a Veronica Lake look)

-how to curl with a flat iron

-give a guy a trim on the sides (would that be too much to ask for?)-  a few times I've been on a job (all commercials) where at the last minute the client wants the talent's hair trimmed- I do it, then hide it with product.

I think all of those requests would certainly fall into what we're planning to do when I come out to California smile  Fizza got copies of some thing to try and help her learn from me already but she has similar requests as well for when I come.  I won't be able to handle a Cali trip just yet with family things coming first but it is surely in the works.
Feel free to PM me your contact info and we can keep in touch about when things are opening up and what else you'd like to see from a workshop smile

Dec 07 08 04:09 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Ok ladies and gents, we're finalizing attendance and outlines for the first workshop of 2009 in NYC.  Please email me [email protected] on message me directly here with questions or for availability.  The California workshop is also in the works but will have to be postponed until April.  Thank you smile
~angel~

Dec 08 08 10:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

Diana Manzanares

New York, New York, US

Hey,  I have spent hours online searching a hair class.  I'm a makeup artist looking to have some basic knowledge and feel more comfortable when I say I do light hair.  Is this class going to happen?  or did it already?  What can I do to contribute to making this happen?

May 04 09 01:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KeniaSantana

Miami, Florida, US

Oh i would love some basic hair styles techniques...specially how to create different hair pieces with hair extension, hair nets, and clips.

too bad im all the way in FL sad

May 04 09 02:31 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Diana Manzanares wrote:
Hey,  I have spent hours online searching a hair class.  I'm a makeup artist looking to have some basic knowledge and feel more comfortable when I say I do light hair.  Is this class going to happen?  or did it already?  What can I do to contribute to making this happen?

All you have to do is ask lol We did the smaller NYC workshop already but could certainly do another if there were enough people interested smile

May 05 09 02:38 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Kenia Mishelle wrote:
Oh i would love some basic hair styles techniques...specially how to create different hair pieces with hair extension, hair nets, and clips.

too bad im all the way in FL sad

Certainly do-able your requests but again unless there's enough artists interested it's hard to say yes to a workshop in FL just for you lol could get pretty spendy in a hurry tongue

May 05 09 02:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lorri Mitchell

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Angel, have you thought about a beginners DVD for those of us who can't get to NYC??

May 05 09 09:19 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Lori,
If I had access to someone I could do that with lol I'd be all over it smile
I don't just go to NYC and with you not being far from Aeni perhaps we could get together in the future ^^

May 05 09 04:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

About Faces-Lynn

Detroit, Michigan, US

I know this is an old thread but I am looking for a hair stylist to teach a workshop in the metro detroit area.  If there is anyone that would like to do that please let me know.

My website is www.aboutfaces.tv and my email is [email protected]

Feb 20 11 08:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Chelsea Mandziuk MUA

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Angel Graves wrote:
Yeah I was thinking something along those legal type lines myself, like if I teach you something and you screw it up do I become liable?  I honestly wouldn't get into anything that couldn't be washed away so the liabilty factor would be minimal.  I have no intentions on teaching an ISO perm course or a fusions course but just something simple you guys could do if you get into a bind without a hairstylist present.  I have 0 intentions of teaching bridal stuff so don't ask tongue and no I won't teach you guys how to finger wave, that will cost you lol but after fixing so many of these 1/2 assed attempts of MUA's trying to make a pony tail with bobby pins and elastics and trying to hide it or the pins with little success I gave them a crash course in how to do it right and showed them why it's done this way and not that way and they all seemed to nail it rather quickly, turns out they got a 3 week crash course in school where months of hairstyling was thrown at them and they were sent off to practice sad   So you think it's possible for something like that to happen?  And with the proper motivation I could be persuaded to come teach you something but there will be payment involved and oh yes we will be going to Bloomingdale's when I come down oh yes we will tongue
But then, it was brought up to me do I do this from the kindness of my heart or should I charge a door fee like at a keg party lol?

My school only gave us a 3 day crash course.. and I`m completely hopeless at hair.
I wish there were more hairstylists in my area willing to give me a few lessons.

Charge a fee for sure.

Feb 20 11 11:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

beauty

Akhiok, Alaska, US

Sorry,

Feb 21 11 12:45 am Link