Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Oh No She Didn't...

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Tonight I'm going through some old photos looking for a particular photo and I ran across this girls who I styled for free because she asked.  I remember the shoot.  The so-called wanna-be-model came to the shoot with an attitude as if we were her "help".  I showed her the cocktail dress I picked out for her and she quickly took off her clothes to try it on.  I could not believe it... she came to the shoot with about 1" long and thick hair on her legs.  When I said WTF and why?  Her reply was, "If you don't like it, work around it because it's gorgeous." 

I then turn to the makeup artist and said, "Oh No She Didn't!"  All I could do is fall out laughing in the girl's face. After I stopped, I told her we are going to focus on head shots as soon as I can get the make up artist to wax her uni-bra. 

Have you ever had an "Oh No She Didn't..." experience.  If so, please share.  We all need a good laugh or reality check.

Feb 07 06 10:18 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

lmaooooooo thats so entirely gross... as a model, you should have no unwanted hair... so basically you should have the hair on your head, your eyelashes, and your 2 eyebrows, not just one.  eww no hair on the legs, upperlip, underarms, and most definitely no hair that bridges your two eyebrows together! tsk tsk

Feb 07 06 10:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I had a " Oh no she didn't" once with this video chick/actress who wants and claims to be a model.. Now I guess she might have arrived because I just saw a glimpse of her in a commercial  but not enough to be a star.... : ) Anyway I did her makeup for this shoot mind you a test tfp for her and to my defense the makeup was slamming and she looked good, she decides to go the bathroom and make it heavier and messes it up for the lighting that the photographer had set for the concept.... I was soooo mad because she just F&(%@d it up totally and then wanted me to fix it....NOT!!!!!!

Feb 07 06 10:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

EWWWWW....maybe she thought she was shooting for a Bic Shaver ad..... LOL

Narvell wrote:
Tonight I'm going through some old photos looking for a particular photo and I ran across this girls who I styled for free because she asked.  I remember the shoot.  The so-called wanna-be-model came to the shoot with an attitude as if we were her "help".  I showed her the cocktail dress I picked out for her and she quickly took off her clothes to try it on.  I could not believe it... she came to the shoot with about 1" long and thick hair on her legs.  When I said WTF and why?  Her reply was, "If you don't like it, work around it because it's gorgeous." 

I then turn to the makeup artist and said, "Oh No She Didn't!"  All I could do is fall out laughing in the girl's face. After I stopped, I told her we are going to focus on head shots as soon as I can get the make up artist to wax her uni-bra. 

Have you ever had an "Oh No She Didn't..." experience.  If so, please share.  We all need a good laugh or reality check.

Feb 07 06 10:54 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

BridgitC-Makeup Artist wrote:
I had a " Oh no she didn't" once with this video chick/actress who wants and claims to be a model.. Now I guess she might have arrived because I just saw a glimpse of her in a commercial  but not enough to be a star.... : ) Anyway I did her makeup for this shoot mind you a test tfp for her and to my defense the makeup was slamming and she looked good, she decides to go the bathroom and make it heavier and messes it up for the lighting that the photographer had set for the concept.... I was soooo mad because she just F&(%@d it up totally and then wanted me to fix it....NOT!!!!!!

I had an incident sort of like that with my first photoshoot. It was vice-versa, though. I wanted to do my own makeup, because I actually know how and can do a fairly good job of it I would hope (see all my portfolio shots...makeup all done by me so far). Anyhow, the photographer INSISTED upon doing my makeup for the shoot, and he seemed to be offended when I wanted to lighten the eyebrows, as he clearly put too much makeup on them. He used eyeliner and it was a heavy brown one...I'm a red-head. You can tell what is wrong with it right there. To this day, I won't show those photos from that shoot! I looked like I let a 5-year-old do my makeup. However, it was for a tfp shoot, and I didn't pay for the images...I chop it up to you get what you pay for.

Feb 07 06 11:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

BeccaNDSouth wrote:

I had an incident sort of like that with my first photoshoot. It was vice-versa, though. I wanted to do my own makeup, because I actually know how and can do a fairly good job of it I would hope (see all my portfolio shots...makeup all done by me so far). Anyhow, the photographer INSISTED upon doing my makeup for the shoot, and he seemed to be offended when I wanted to lighten the eyebrows, as he clearly put too much makeup on them. He used eyeliner and it was a heavy brown one...I'm a red-head. You can tell what is wrong with it right there. To this day, I won't show those photos from that shoot! I looked like I let a 5-year-old do my makeup. However, it was for a tfp shoot, and I didn't pay for the images...I chop it up to you get what you pay for.

Girl you had an all-in-one shoot LOL.....I feel ya about the brow thing....

Feb 07 06 11:07 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Girl you had an all-in-one shoot LOL.....I feel ya about the brow thing....

Oh yes, and it was the first and last time...lol. That was 6 years ago. I'm just now starting to use makeup artists and all for my shoots. I have one later this month with Kat Flynt. I can't wait, but I'm also a bit anxious. I see that she does great work, though.

Feb 07 06 11:12 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Well when I was in school we had "models" who would come to the school and have "sessions" about skin care and make-up application. we were having a photo shoot and we had some of the "modles" for the shoot. Ok no prob I lived in a City and didnt know anyone so having a "modle" provided for me worked at the time. So I had this cute little model sitting in my chair and I thought huh this might work so I did this "somkey" eye and worked really hard on the eyes , I whent to get a lip pencil from the table of class supplies. and in the 30 seconds away my cute little model whipped off the eye make-up on one eye. AAHHHH I wanted to smack her . I kinda had a mini freak out but without words and my teacher could see that I was in distress so he came over and a "ohh no" came out of his mouth. He then "talked" to the model letting her know that this was not how to make it in this industry. She told me that she hated the make-up , but this shot was for my portfolio not hers she could have had a copy of the shot if she wanted one but this was my shoot and one of the 1st ones I ever had . So the rest of the "make-up " application she spent the whole time appologizing so I think it could have been worse. Ahh the diva we will find a way to get rid of that gene some day.

Feb 07 06 11:14 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

I feel for ya. That is why I think I could never do makeup professionally for another model. The only other model I have done makeup for, is my daughter for her first photoshoot she had this past week. Her makeup consisted of a little powder and sheer lipgloss. The powder was just to keep her from shining, and she just wanted the lipgloss...she's my prissy little 4-year-old baby...

Feb 07 06 11:20 pm Link

Model

Sabina N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

It sure was unprofessional of the OP's model to come in, disrespect the expectations of the shoot, and then try to change them...

...however, I totally think more hairy work needs to be done, in general. It's natural; there's no actual reason women, or men, need to shave. If we think hairy legs are gross - and only on a female, at that - then it's probably a learned perception from living in a society that promotes that view.

I promote asking yourself why you think it's gross... is it? Or is it just made out to be because some time ago, razor companies needed to invent a new excuse for sales?

Phooey on the model for forcing her views on you at a critical time like that... but giant-knuckled props to her otherwise, for realizing what's what with the human body! :-D

I also love the look of many uni-brows - fierce! And this after so much teasing on the way to *and* from junior high... the more diverse people's looks, the better, I'd say.

Sonntag
~the more hair, the more rewarding the shave!

Feb 08 06 02:30 am Link

Makeup Artist

Glamy Makeup

Dunedin, Florida, US

I had a couple instances at a my first fashion show where 2 models demanded that I work on them next even though there are other people waiting.  Then when it was their turn, the same models criticized everything I was doing and go and re-do/mess up their makeup immediately after I finish.  At the same show 2 other girls flat-out took stuff from my kit when I had my back turned and mis-used it.  For example I was working on someone, put my concealer brush down, turned around a few minutes later and someone else had used it on their eyes aparently (without cleaning it first, ew) because it was covered in green mac pigment.  At the same show someone contaminated my liquid eyeliner and I had to throw it out, someone also put eyeshadow back in my kit without a cap, and it broke and spilled everywhere.  It was kinda disasterous, but a good learning experience.  I bring a lot of my stuff in sample jars to shows now, so if it does get stolen or contaminated it's not a huge deal.  And I keep my brushes on me at all times.

Here's a funny "oh no she didn't" story, I was at a shoot about 5 years ago (I wasn't doing makeup though, I was modeling) and another one of the models shows up.  Apparently she must have sent the photographer a photo of herself 20 years ago because she was much larger and older in person.  Ok, the photog wasn't looking for cookie-cutter girls, so it's ok, she'll work with her.  It was a fine-art nude/partial nude shoot (which everyone was told ahead of time) and of course she refused to do any nudity.  Why? because "she can't take off her corrective undergarments".  Ok, well maybe we can style her to look decent.  She objected to pretty much every garment selected, she wanted to wear this toga looking thing with tacky gold coin looking things hanging off it it that she had brought with her.  She also was wearing these horrid dew-drop glasses (think Tootsie) and refused to take those off for the photos, even after being told that they would cause a glare.  I think the photographer asked her to just leave after that.

Feb 08 06 09:19 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Sonntag wrote:
It sure was unprofessional of the OP's model to come in, disrespect the expectations of the shoot, and then try to change them...

...however, I totally think more hairy work needs to be done, in general. It's natural; there's no actual reason women, or men, need to shave. If we think hairy legs are gross - and only on a female, at that - then it's probably a learned perception from living in a society that promotes that view.

I promote asking yourself why you think it's gross... is it? Or is it just made out to be because some time ago, razor companies needed to invent a new excuse for sales?

Phooey on the model for forcing her views on you at a critical time like that... but giant-knuckled props to her otherwise, for realizing what's what with the human body! :-D

I also love the look of many uni-brows - fierce! And this after so much teasing on the way to *and* from junior high... the more diverse people's looks, the better, I'd say.

Sonntag

Okay... but NO.  I can grow some hair my dang self but, I'm not trying to rock a micro mini skirt with hair so thick you would think I had a tan.

Feb 08 06 11:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

When I first started, I did a ton of those "shoot-till-you-puke" shoots for local agencies.  That's when they bring in all the new people and want them to have all the shots they need for a comp card from this one shoot.

This one, young girl came with her Mom and her sister.  She had her hair in a ponytail.  It looked wet, like it was in the process of air-drying.

I take out the ponytail holder and start to brush and comb through the mess.  The first red flag was that her hair was not wet, it was just so oily and stinky that it looked wet.  The second red flag was the worst case of dandruff I've ever seen in my whole life.  What was this girl and her Mom thinking!!!

I stopped what I was doing and told the photog I would not work on her like that.  There was no way I could make that hair do anything different from what it was doing.  Then we collectively explained to them what is expected when a model arrives to a shoot.

Still grosses me out to think about it.

Feb 08 06 02:08 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair wrote:
When I first started, I did a ton of those "shoot-till-you-puke" shoots for local agencies.  That's when they bring in all the new people and want them to have all the shots they need for a comp card from this one shoot.

This one, young girl came with her Mom and her sister.  She had her hair in a ponytail.  It looked wet, like it was in the process of air-drying.

I take out the ponytail holder and start to brush and comb through the mess.  The first red flag was that her hair was not wet, it was just so oily and stinky that it looked wet.  The second red flag was the worst case of dandruff I've ever seen in my whole life.  What was this girl and her Mom thinking!!!

I stopped what I was doing and told the photog I would not work on her like that.  There was no way I could make that hair do anything different from what it was doing.  Then we collectively explained to them what is expected when a model arrives to a shoot.

Still grosses me out to think about it.

That is freakin gross!

Yes... I have had this happened.  Similar situation however, the makeup artist at the shoot did light hairstyling.  She was doing the hair and then came over to me and asked me if I knew how to do black hair (since I am black).  I said... ahhh... yes?  I go over to the model and OH LORD!  This fool had nappy African roots with a European weave.  Plus, it was dirty and flaky.  She was a minor (17 yrs old) so I walked over to her mom and said, "When she turns 18, call me so I can cus her out as an adult."  The mother asked why.  I looked at the mother's head and said, "never mind".  "It's not even worth explaining since you two have the same hairstyle."   The dad/husband was so embarrassed he walked out and waited in the truck.  He knew they looked a mess!

Feb 08 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Zion Imaging

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, US

EWWWWW....maybe she thought she was shooting for a Bic Shaver ad..... LOL

I'm thinking lawnboy lawnmowers!

https://www.vermontmowers.com/Lawnboy_background.jpg

Feb 08 06 04:06 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Zion Imaging wrote:

I'm thinking lawnboy lawnmowers!

https://www.vermontmowers.com/Lawnboy_background.jpg

Wow... such a flash back I am having of that girls legs.  LOL  (You are wrong on so many levels.)

Feb 08 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Narvell wrote:
Okay... but NO.  I can grow some hair my dang self but, I'm not trying to rock a micro mini skirt with hair so thick you would think I had a tan.

Narvell, you owe me lunch now.  I just threw up.

Feb 08 06 04:14 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

lll wrote:

Narvell, you owe me lunch now.  I just threw up.

You like that big daddy!?!  (ROFLMAF!!!)  You like that thick furry tan!?!
(ROFLMAF!!!)
(ROFLMAF!!!)
(ROFLMAF!!!)

Okay Taco Bell is on me.

Feb 08 06 04:16 pm Link

Model

Sabina N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Narvell wrote:

Fair enough; certainly - we all have our own preferences :-)

But I think that *I* might want to try this... and I'd sure love to see someone in public with the guts for this, for once. I even have interest from a photographer or two to shoot this sort of thing... it's cool that no matter what it is, there are enough people in this damn world - on this forum, even - to find a co-conspirator for just about anything.

Sonntag
~if you don't like it, don't look

Feb 08 06 04:54 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

WOW to the OP's story... that is hilarious!

Feb 08 06 05:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

BeccaNDSouth wrote:

Oh yes, and it was the first and last time...lol. That was 6 years ago. I'm just now starting to use makeup artists and all for my shoots. I have one later this month with Kat Flynt. I can't wait, but I'm also a bit anxious. I see that she does great work, though.

Good Luck, I have never met her but we have both worked with some of the same people....

Feb 08 06 05:24 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Narvell wrote:
Okay Taco Bell is on me.

Oh god no! Not taco bell!

Feb 08 06 05:28 pm Link

Model

Chu

Oh wow-that is toooooo funny.

Feb 09 06 01:56 am Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

These forums are just too funny sometimes(smile)

Feb 09 06 02:02 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

Sonntag wrote:

Sonntag

I have a theory about the shaving thing on females. Bear with me here. Men are hairy, right? Ok well one of the things that attracts people to the opposite sex, if that's your bag, is their oppositeness from you. Men generally are hairier by nature, so to re-inforce this contrast, we shave. Plus the smoothness helps helps light to bounce off the skin, thus accentuating the graceful curves of the feminine leg.

Oh My Gosh, I sound like an Ani DiFranco fan.

Feb 09 06 02:32 am Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Sonntag wrote:

I agree with this in terms of 'art shoots'...there are many photographers that like it...but for fashion and glamour, the model is a template for the clothing, etc. and it is time to conform to the 'rules' of fashion. If she wants to be a fashion model, she has to shave.

Feb 09 06 02:50 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

1" thick hair on her legs !!!!!!! Thats TOTALLY GROSS !!!

Feb 09 06 04:53 am Link

Model

_Blip_

Tampa, Florida, US

Narvell wrote:
(ROFLMAF!!!)
(ROFLMAF!!!)
(ROFLMAF!!!)

Ewwwwwwwwww. Thick furry tan. Ewwwwwww...... Now how the hell am I gonna get THAT outta my head?

*runs to grab the body wax as an offering if needed!* lmao

Feb 09 06 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

JasonE

Durham, California, US

Narvell wrote:

Ewww gross, thats not even an "oh no she didnt", that is a "oh hell no!".  I mean she is acting like she is the one and ONLY model there is to work with!, all of that attitude she was boasting (please), you should have shown her to the nearest exit.

Feb 09 06 06:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup FX by Vanessa

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Oh god so sad but yes this has happened.  Firist of all the model That showed was not what was requested- girl said she was a 3-4, BS she was a 9-10 and could not fit into the clothes provided.  Then after squeezing all her extras into an outfit she comes back to show us how she looked and girl had hairy underarms, eyebrows, lip and legs.  No, No, No honey not working- she was sent to a waxing place and had every hair that was not supposed to be there removed.  That is a damn shame for models to show up wasted, with leftover makeup, dirty and unshaved- granted it is our job to make them beautiful but it's not our job to groom them when they show up.  It's very unprofessional and if they want to get to be pro ther should keep up to standards because there is compitition out there and they show aready groomed.

Feb 09 06 06:57 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Narvell wrote:
(ROFLMAF!!!)
(ROFLMAF!!!)
(ROFLMAF!!!)

Andrea-Anderson wrote:
Ewwwwwwwwww. Thick furry tan. Ewwwwwww...... Now how the hell am I gonna get THAT outta my head?

*runs to grab the body wax as an offering if needed!* lmao

Yeah... that is one of those random comments I come up with.  It even disturbs me.  LOL!!!

Feb 09 06 09:37 pm Link

Model

Ellie_K

Denver, Colorado, US

I was 17 before I succumbed to peer pressure and shaved my legs for the first time. It felt so unnatural, like my legs were coated in plastic, that I wanted to cry.

I never went back, though.

I have a question for you stylists, as well... I have blond hair on my forearms. It's noticeable, but not ugly. Should I get rid of that too?

These stories are definitely making my day!

Feb 09 06 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

JasonE

Durham, California, US

Makeup FX by Vanessa wrote:
Oh god so sad but yes this has happened.  Firist of all the model That showed was not what was requested- girl said she was a 3-4, BS she was a 9-10 and could not fit into the clothes provided.  Then after squeezing all her extras into an outfit she comes back to show us how she looked and girl had hairy underarms, eyebrows, lip and legs.  No, No, No honey not working- she was sent to a waxing place and had every hair that was not supposed to be there removed.  That is a damn shame for models to show up wasted, with leftover makeup, dirty and unshaved- granted it is our job to make them beautiful but it's not our job to groom them when they show up.  It's very unprofessional and if they want to get to be pro ther should keep up to standards because there is compitition out there and they show aready groomed.

Amen

Feb 11 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

I once had a girl show up on drugs , I think she might have been on Heroin, She had that Nod that they get, After one roll I told her we were done, she paid me in Crisp $100 bills and left , never made a fuss and got into her chauffeur driven car !

Feb 11 06 09:51 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Duncan wrote:
I once had a girl show up on drugs , I think she might have been on Heroin, She had that Nod that they get, After one roll I told her we were done, she paid me in Crisp $100 bills and left , never made a fuss and got into her chauffeur driven car !

"... that Nod that they get"... THAT IS HILARIOUS!!!

Feb 11 06 10:59 pm Link

Model

Tuesday Jean

Sonntag wrote:

Fair enough; certainly - we all have our own preferences :-)

But I think that *I* might want to try this... and I'd sure love to see someone in public with the guts for this, for once. I even have interest from a photographer or two to shoot this sort of thing... it's cool that no matter what it is, there are enough people in this damn world - on this forum, even - to find a co-conspirator for just about anything.

Sonntag
~if you don't like it, don't look

so lovely to know that not every person out there belives we must all go by the same "rules" that dictate beauty to achieve it.

Feb 13 06 01:54 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Mar 06 06 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

majoy

Newark, California, US

Nikki S. wrote:
lmaooooooo thats so entirely gross... as a model, you should have no unwanted hair... so basically you should have the hair on your head, your eyelashes, and your 2 eyebrows, not just one.  eww no hair on the legs, upperlip, underarms, and most definitely no hair that bridges your two eyebrows together! tsk tsk

what about thick, coarse hair on the forehead, cheeks, knuckles and chest... I'm talking about on FEMALE models.... eckhhh!!!!!!

Mar 06 06 05:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Tuesday Jean wrote:

so lovely to know that not every person out there belives we must all go by the same "rules" that dictate beauty to achieve it.

I think its great that people want to grow their body hair long and express their uniqueness, they can braid their under arm hair if they like.....  But no...not if youre a model and expect to work.   If the shoot calls for a furry model I'm sure the agent will let the model know well in advance smile  if not, the industry standard would be to show up without body hair.

Mar 06 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

reading... reading... reading...

*shiver*

Mar 06 06 05:41 pm Link