Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > MySpace.com Subject of Sex Assault Probe

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:

carlyerin wrote:
they're just the latest media fix. it could be model mayhem...

...they just went after myspace b/c it's so big and they don't understand that....

The difference is... administrators of Model Mayhem make an honorable attempt to keep such incidents from happening and DO deactivate accounts from predators, scammers, spammers, and anyone else that displays inappropriate material or questionable activities.

Myspace administration turns a blind eye, and sometimes helps to PROMOTE the scammers and predators!

Big difference.... a BIG, BIG difference!

No, no, no!!!   You've got it wrong!!!
You need to ask for 2 forms of I.D.!

I stand corrected.  Um, better get a DNA sample, too.  A guy can't be too careful.

Feb 21 06 07:29 pm Link

Model

Dana Nicole

NEPTUNE, New Jersey, US

If you go to myspace and look up teenagers in that age range, you'll find that the majority of them post inappropriate pictures of themselves.  No nudity, of course, but very sexy, AGE inappropriate pictures. These girls are creating some sort of web persona, depicting themselves as flirtatious and wild.  I'm sorry, but if you're 14 and you're posting a picture of your cleavage pressed together while you're biting your bottom lip, what do you think you're conveying?  It's sickening.  I don't feel sorry for them, because they know EXACTLY what they're doing.  These girls WANT to be considered sexy, so they post these pictures so men will post comments which will boost their frail self-esteem.  Remember all the girls in high school who would wear tiny skirts, huge heels, and five pounds of makeup?  They did it for attention, and that's exactly what these teenagers on myspace are doing now.  If they're old enough to post those pictures, they're old enough to know that they will be perceived in a certain way.  Unfortunately, a parent cannot be around 24-7.  I don't think they should necessarily be held accountable for absolutely everything.  How can a parent watch a teenager every second?  One moment they could be researching a history paper, but click over to myspace in a matter of seconds.  There's no way of telling what they're doing unless you're sitting right behind them the entire time, and I'm sorry, but what teenager wouldn't throw a fit about their parents up their ass all the time?  It wasn't that long ago that I was a teenager, too, and I valued my privacy.  Teens today know how to erase history on computers and can click over to a PG website in a matter of seconds.  A parent simply cannot watch them.  It is, however, the job of the parent to teach their children how NOT to behave.  But by the time you're a teenager, it's your responsibility.

Feb 21 06 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Ginger wrote:
i don't understand why people are going off on whether or not these 12 or 13 year old girls should have known better. EXCUSE ME, but shouldn't the MEN in this case have known better? I feel sorry for these girls regardless of whether or not they should've known better.  Innocence lost is not a subject to be lightly shrugged off by blaming it on bad parenting.

These girls seek out these men. The "innocence" was lost long before they ever hopped in bed together.

Feb 21 06 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

Envy wrote:
I'm sorry, but I have very little pity for anyone who meets strange men online then has consensual sex with them. What difference does it make if this person is older than he stated. He's a fucking stranger! You're having sex with someone you do not know. My main concern would be "Geez, maybe I have contracted some venereal disease from this person I know nothing about". The least of my concerns would be his age.

They have set themselves up for what happens next the moment they agree to meet anyone online. ( I don't just run off when any photographer. I check references and meet beforehand to ensure the person I'm meeting is who they claim to be. )

It is not as though teenagers are not aware of the dangers online. Almost nightly there is a story to some degree about a  rape / murder / kidnapping that has taken place due to meeting people online that turn out not to be who they said they were.

I don't feel the slightest bit of sympathy for these naive twits.
Sorry.

Well stated Envy.

Feb 21 06 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

Dana Nicole wrote:
If you go to myspace and look up teenagers in that age range, you'll find that the majority of them post inappropriate pictures of themselves.  No nudity, of course, but very sexy, AGE inappropriate pictures. These girls are creating some sort of web persona, depicting themselves as flirtatious and wild.  I'm sorry, but if you're 14 and you're posting a picture of your cleavage pressed together while you're biting your bottom lip, what do you think you're conveying?  It's sickening.  I don't feel sorry for them, because they know EXACTLY what they're doing.  These girls WANT to be considered sexy, so they post these pictures so men will post comments which will boost their frail self-esteem.  Remember all the girls in high school who would wear tiny skirts, huge heels, and five pounds of makeup?  They did it for attention, and that's exactly what these teenagers on myspace are doing now.  If they're old enough to post those pictures, they're old enough to know that they will be perceived in a certain way.  Unfortunately, a parent cannot be around 24-7.  I don't think they should necessarily be held accountable for absolutely everything.  How can a parent watch a teenager every second?  One moment they could be researching a history paper, but click over to myspace in a matter of seconds.  There's no way of telling what they're doing unless you're sitting right behind them the entire time, and I'm sorry, but what teenager wouldn't throw a fit about their parents up their ass all the time?  It wasn't that long ago that I was a teenager, too, and I valued my privacy.  Teens today know how to erase history on computers and can click over to a PG website in a matter of seconds.  A parent simply cannot watch them.  It is, however, the job of the parent to teach their children how NOT to behave.  But by the time you're a teenager, it's your responsibility.

Another great point

Feb 21 06 08:09 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Boy, some of you guys are gonna be in for a rude awakening if/when you do have daughters. I suspect many people will change their tune.

Feb 21 06 10:08 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Oops, double post! Sawry! lol

Feb 21 06 10:08 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

veester wrote:
Boy, some of you guys are gonna be in for a rude awakening if/when you do have daughters. I suspect many people will change their tune.

I never plan to have children. If I do decide to have kids I will adopt.
A boy. You only have to worry about one dick. With a girl you have to worry about every dick that crosses her path.

Feb 21 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Envy wrote:

I never plan to have children. If I do decide to have kids I will adopt.
A boy. You only have to worry about one dick. With a girl you have to worry about every dick that crosses her path.

LOL, Envy.  No, it's OK, have a girl.  But buy a shotgun and a chastity belt.  And when boys come calling, answer the doorbell in a Freddie Krueger mask while caressing your shotgun.

Feb 21 06 10:22 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

William Coleman wrote:
LOL, Envy.  No, it's OK, have a girl.  But buy a shotgun and a chastity belt.  And when boys come calling, answer the doorbell in a Freddie Krueger mask while caressing your shotgun.

smile

::takes notes::

Feb 21 06 10:25 pm Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm a big fan of MySpace... gives me something to do on slow days or when i don't feel like studying... *cough*

But back to the point... i really don't understand why MySpace is open up to people under 18... there are plenty of sites of the same sort made for pre-teens and teens that are completely safe and only for kids (aka adults can't get on there... there's a screening process for the profiles and stuff)... hell, my younger sister is on at least two of them and she likes them just as much as i like MySpace...with sites like that available, why do these young kids feel the need to get on these sites?

And furthermore, it doesn't help when the kids are lying about their age... i've denied many a friend request on there from kids who were obviously lying about their age... I'm not sure if all under-18 profiles have this, but I have run across some that are marked "Private" so only friends can read them...

The main issue is that parents need to keep an eye on their kids and raise them themselves, rather than letting TV and the internet do it for them...

*end rant*

Feb 21 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

Fort Mill, South Carolina, US

Bill Tracy wrote:

The girl could fess up and tell the truth, but I guess you're right in the sense that her parents are the ones doing the damage and taking advantage of a situation caused by their little angel.

Legally it doesn't matter if she fesses up or not.  In Florida the onus is on the male (right or wrong) to identify the female.  So even if she says "I lied"...which I think she did...it wouldn't matter.

Bottom line is that the parents should be talking to their daughter instead of pressing charges.

Feb 26 06 07:42 pm Link