Forums > General Industry > What qualifies one as a professional photographer?

Photographer

Shan L Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

This is really an honest question, and I wanted to post this yesterday. Just remembered after seeing the "experienced Model" thread.

I've seen a lot of average or even low average ports, however the photogs say they're "professional photographers." I would like to know what qualifies one as a professional photographer? When does one become professional?

Feb 12 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Zunaphoto

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Technically, when one is paid for photographic work.  Philosophically?  It's wide open.

Feb 12 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Shan L Photography wrote:
When does one become professional?

When able to produce under a multitude of scenarios with "ahhhhhh" results then I would think one could make the designation. 

As well, one may be a professional based simply on focusing on a single discipline and doing it better than anyone else.  People will associate that with receiving professional results.

Getting paid has nothing to do with it in my mind.

Feb 12 06 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

Zunaphoto is right, but I would take it one step further -- someone who makes a profit from their photography. If you get paid once by a "wannabe" for headshots, that doesn't make you a pro. But if you operate your photography like a business then I think you're in the pro category.

Wm

Feb 12 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

James Waynauskas

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I'd say if you make a living from you're work... then your professional... thats more of a techincal definition.

Feb 12 06 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

James Waynauskas

Kansas City, Missouri, US

double post

Feb 12 06 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Markusson

If I remember correctly, you can call yourself professional anything when 10% or more of your income comes from that area. Remembered it was suprisingly low percentage.  It could also vary from state to state.

Sig

Feb 12 06 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

The classic definition in most fields is that a person is a pro when they make the majority of their income within that field.  Back in my photojournalism days we also used to classify people who got paid more than occasionally but hadn't quit the day job... mostly freelancers who shot nights or weekends... as semi-pros.

Unfortunately, there is only a loose correlation between being a pro and being able to deliver top-notch quality. 

The best pros are very good indeed.  They have the best lighting gear and know how to use it.  There's an edge that can only be developed by shooting every day.  But a pro who delivers on time reliable product and is good at the marketing and paperwork sides may persist even with mediocre image quality.  There are lots of small studios out there producing predictable but bland cookie-cutter images and filling a valid market niche.

There are a lot of serious photographers who rarely sell an image and can do stunning work of excellent quality.  Probably they outnumber pros, on this site and in the real world.  But they're swamped out by the vast masses of amateurs who make minimal effort to learn, to grow, people who are hobbyist or snapshot level at best.

Feb 12 06 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Shan L Photography

ahh ok I see. Definitely wide open, so being a professional photographer is objective also, lol.

So by some people's definition, once I get paid for a shoot, then I'm professional? I have my own opinions on what, to me, qualifies one as professional. And I don't go by the number of years they've been in the business, or whether or not they're making lumps of money doing shoots. I personally go by the quality, and creativeness of the images.

But I suppose, semantically speaking, a professional photographer could be BOTH. A person who has great skill in capturing an image, and one who gets paid for capturing an image, whether it's great or not, lol. Though, capturing a great image is also just one's opinion.

For all photographers interested, they have a nice documentary on Style network right now about photography, and the history of Fashion photography.

*edit to say, it's over now, lol.

Feb 12 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Ken Mierzwa wrote:
... as semi-pros.

Thanks Ken. 

OK, now we have:

Professional
Semi-Pro
Amateur
GWC

We need definitions of:

Advanced Amateur
Semi-Advanced Amateur
Quasi-Pro
Cheez-Wiz-Pro
Advanced GWC
Hobbiest
Advanced Hobbiest
Crap Artist
Advanced Artist
Wannabe Artist

Just so we'll all agree on the definition of terms, of course.

-Don

P.S.  Oh yeah.  And Working Pro and True Artist.

P.P.S.  And Amature.  Somebody tell me what that is.

Feb 12 06 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Shan L Photography

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

Not sure Brian, lol I just consider myself Amateur in every SENSE of the word, lol...From the "A" to the "R"

Feb 12 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Thanks Ken. 

OK, now we have:

Professional
Semi-Pro
Amateur
GWC

We need definitions of:

Advanced Amateur
Semi-Advanced Amateur
Quasi-Pro
Cheez-Wiz-Pro
Advanced GWC
Hobbiest
Advanced Hobbiest
Crap Artist
Advanced Artist
Wannabe Artist

-Don

Whoa, whoa!!  Hold on a second there.  There's only one true Crap Artist around here.  I am he.  The rest are just carbon copies.

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

That's easy.  People are simply bad at spelling.

Just change the 'A' to an 'I' and add another 'm,' that's all...

Feb 12 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

I would like to know what qualifies one as a professional photographer? When does one become professional?

The reason lots of photographers refer to themselves as professional is simply because of label inflation.  They don't want to list themselves as amateur when some newbie weekend skirt-chasing hobby shooter is calling himself a pro.

On the other hand, if I call myself an amateur, people will look at my port and think I'm not bad (which, for an amateur, I'm not).  As a pro, the best I could hope for from someone looking at my port is a "so-so".

Also, by calling myself an amateur, I'm hoping models will give me cut rates, because they know amateurs never have any money.

Is that brilliant or what?  Sometimes I'm just astounded by my own intellectual magnificence!

-Dave

Feb 12 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Shan L Photography

Dave Krueger wrote:

Also, by calling myself an amateur, I'm hoping models will give me cut rates, because they know amateurs never have any money.

Is that brilliant or what?  Sometimes I'm just astounded by my own intellectual magnificence!

-Dave

LOL Dave, you're a riot..lol and it IS brilliant...(whispering to everyone) Dave's so egotistical isn't he? :-P

Feb 12 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

The title Professional Photographer can be self given or earned.

The photographers work should speak for itself.

Sincerely
Ron Blake

Feb 12 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Kilmer Photography

Boothwyn, Pennsylvania, US

It seems as though anyone with a digital camera these days is a "Pro". Digital has made it easier to call yourself a "Professional", thats for sure. I wonder how many started as film photographers and actually learned the fundamentals of the profession? not that its the only requirement, mind you, but I think the best photographers have started with the basics rather than jumping right in with a Digi-SLR. I think part of the thrill for me in the beginning was using black and white film and developing it myself. It was exciting to have to wait and see the results of my actions. I still use film, by the way. Plus, I still use an old 1947 Crown Graphic 4x5. Does that make me better or more "Professional"? No. Absolutely not. But it has taught me some fundamental basics of photography, and made my work more "Professional".

Spike

Feb 12 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

What Dave said.  I am a total amateur, hobbyist, weekend warrior, wannabe, Girl With Camera, and don't pretend to be anything else.  I wouldn't presume to call myself a professional until I was pulling down a regular paycheck with my camera.  I'm pretty technical about that definition.  Just as making a living at something doesn't necessarily mean you're good at it, neither does not making a living at something mean you're bad at it.  The goodness and the badness is relative to what each of us like.  The paycheck is what it is, and is what I use to define amateur and professional.

Feb 12 06 01:43 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Same response to the model post.

TEARSHEETS

smile

Feb 12 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
TEARSHEETS

No, no, no.  I've got tearsheets and I'm an amateur.  Nothing at all to do with tears.

-Don

Feb 12 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

Thanks Ken. 

OK, now we have:

Professional
Semi-Pro
Amateur
GWC

We need definitions of:

Advanced Amateur
Semi-Advanced Amateur
Quasi-Pro
Cheez-Wiz-Pro
Advanced GWC
Hobbiest
Advanced Hobbiest
Crap Artist
Advanced Artist
Wannabe Artist

-Don

lol funny Don   

amature mean " a person who love" earlier photographers were proud to call themselves amatures and looked down on those who considered themselves professional.
I am an amature always and forever !

Feb 12 06 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Zunaphoto

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Tears?  I don't think the professional with his shingle out on Main Street feeding his family with the proceeds of Weddings, Portraits Seniors etc, gives a whosit about tearsheets...OOPS He's a Pro too...

Feb 12 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:

TEARSHEETS

smile

lol funny so real estate appraisers would be considered professional photographers since they can supply tearsheets of publish work

Feb 12 06 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Professional Photographer is one who gets paid and makes a profit from their work AND can still have a personal life and family.

Feb 12 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
that's it.

Feb 12 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
TEARSHEETS
smile

That's overlooking the fact that not everyone shoots for publication, therefore many won't have tearsheets. Fine Art photographers may not have tearsheets, nor will portrait photographers. I dare someone to day that Monte Zucker was not a professional before he started publishing books and magazine articles.

Wm

Feb 12 06 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Ballinger

Ogden, Utah, US

I get paid, but I still would consider myself in the amateur field. Don't think I'll ever shoot for rolling stone.

Professional is a subjective term. If getting paid seems to make you a pro, then I guess I am a pro at portrait photography.

That being said, I am nowhere near as good as many of the photogs on here. I am however much better than some.

If asked, I always say I am just a photog. I let other people worry about placing labels like pro, semi-pro, or amateur.

People who are into photography just to see scantily-clad or nude women, however, make it very difficult for people like me who truly have a vision of what they are trying to do. I get ideas all the time for images, and they drive me crazy if I can't at least attempt to get those ideas on paper....so to speak.

Just my two cents

Feb 12 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Jay Bowman wrote:
Whoa, whoa!!  Hold on a second there.  There's only one true Crap Artist around here.  I am he.  The rest are just carbon copies.

When did you take me off my throne wink

Feb 12 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

R. Olson (RO) wrote:
Professional Photographer is one who gets paid and makes a profit from their work AND can still have a personal life and family.

Hell, there goes my professional status... I don't have a personal life! ;-D

Wm

Feb 12 06 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Meade

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Some interesting remarks...

but here is another classification to throw into the ring..... "Student"!!!!

we students consistently get labled as poor photographers...whether subconsiously or not.

It is nearly impossible for us (students) to get quality models, most of the time we have to reserve ourselves to shooting fellow classmates or girlfriends.  The few times that we are actually given the chance to shoot a "professional" model, we typically excell, delivering a product that can compete with any professional in the market today.

Its a poor genraliziation that models, stylists, and MUA's make that we as students arent capable of producing the same quality of work as a "Professional Photographer".

If people would stop looking down their noses at us students, and realize that we are going to be the future of the commercial photograhy world.  and consider a TFP/CD every now and then, Consider it testing for a photographer FOR FREE!,  you might be pleasantly supprised with the results.

sorry.. started ranting and went a little off topic there.. ghmmm

Feb 12 06 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
TEARSHEETS
smile

I have lotsa tear sheets.  Even a magazine cover.  So, when one quits doing photography for money and reverts to doing it for fun, does he/she then go back to being an amateur?

-Dave

Feb 12 06 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

K_O

El Cajon, California, US

ahhh THIS IS A great forum, topic or thread, whatever, and BY DEFINITION from this page....I am Semi-Pro...and yes I learned everything in the digi area, but thats not my fault seeing as when I learned that I even liked photography, I learned with a digital camera the ORGINAL rebel and a 5.1 Cybershot to be exact...just so happens I was pretty good so I started marketing myself and making money at it...am I pro now?...For sake of argument, yeah, BUT even a pro can get better, Look at Michael Jordan. he was pro for 8 years before he started a run a Championships...so I think it just matters of YOUR actual Skill and experience honestly...Im learning but i also make money SOOO...you be the judge....

GOTTA question for YOU all now...

DO you have to have an education in photography to be considered pro?  I have a degree in broadcasting in front of the camera...I didn't learn about behind the scenes until AFTER i graduated...do i have to go back to school in order to become PRO?

Feb 12 06 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

ballfoto wrote:
I get paid, but I still would consider myself in the amateur field. Don't think I'll ever shoot for rolling stone.

Professional is a subjective term. If getting paid seems to make you a pro, then I guess I am a pro at portrait photography.

That being said, I am nowhere near as good as many of the photogs on here. I am however much better than some.

If asked, I always say I am just a photog. I let other people worry about placing labels like pro, semi-pro, or amateur.

People who are into photography just to see scantily-clad or nude women, however, make it very difficult for people like me who truly have a vision of what they are trying to do. I get ideas all the time for images, and they drive me crazy if I can't at least attempt to get those ideas on paper....so to speak.

Just my two cents

Well said.

Professional is a very subjective term in that I’ve met some photographers that have as much class and/or tact as a broken zipper in church, but still refer to themselves as professional photographer. Or with such a crumpled (wonkled) appearance that you may think they were homeless but still expect or demand the model be flawless.

Feb 12 06 03:42 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

No he doesn't revert back to being an amateur.  When I say ''tearsheets'' I also mean publications as well. 

I'm just a model what do I know?!  Photographers just take my picture big_smile

Feb 12 06 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

K_O wrote:
DO you have to have an education in photography to be considered pro?

Yes, but it doesn't have to be in a classroom.  Some people get it out of the instruction manual that comes with their camera.  Sometimes, with artistically gifted people, that's all it takes.   But artistically gifted people are rare, so most of us get our education out of dozens of books, looking at thousands of pictures make by other photographers, talking with others, and experimenting for years (decades in my case) before we can get it right.

-Dave

Feb 12 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Desert Winds Digital Ph

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

I try very hard not to 'label" anyone, and try very hard not to read anything into a label someone uses (either self-given, or other).  I have made a vey nice living off of my photograhy in the past, and at other times have not. I have supported myself and family through photography at times. Do I consider myself a proffessional? Do others? I don't and I really don't care what others call me either - I do it because I want to, and because I love it. And after all, we all are (or should be) students in the strictest sense, as we should never stop learning and trying to improve ourselves and our craft!.

David

Feb 12 06 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Guys you all get  hungup on a word...it's just a word! Making a full time living at it is the bottomline....also the great est of pleasure doing it year in year out. So! If it says Pro-Film does that make every shot you shoot professional....it's all in the eye of the beholder or listener as to the direction of a simple work. I like the title working stiff. So stop getting hung up on a word...does it give you the greatest pleasure and the rewards for that creativity that alllows you to keep creating and making images amazing..even to yourself.

Feb 12 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
I'm just a model...

I've already been through your port a few times.  You are not just a model.

-Dave

Feb 12 06 03:58 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

I've already been through your port a few times.  You are not just a model.

-Dave

What else am I?  A smart ass?  big_smile  LOL

Feb 12 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Shan L Photography

Desert Winds Digital Ph wrote:
And after all, we all are (or should be) students in the strictest sense, as we should never stop learning and trying to improve ourselves and our craft!.

David

I agree with this. I just thought I would ask, since I've seen many photographers online and OFF, label themselves professionals, and in some cases...um..it just didn't LOOK like it. Just thought I'd ask everyone their opinions.

Thanks

Feb 12 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Shan L Photography

AlexAlexander/Moderator wrote:
Guys you all get  hungup on a word...it's just a word! Making a full time living at it is the bottomline....also the great est of pleasure doing it year in year out. So! If it says Pro-Film does that make every shot you shoot professional....it's all in the eye of the beholder or listener as to the direction of a simple work. I like the title working stiff. So stop getting hung up on a word...does it give you the greatest pleasure and the rewards for that creativity that alllows you to keep creating and making images amazing..even to yourself.

Not sure who's getting HUNG UP over a word, but from what I've gathered(which I kinda knew already) it's all subjective. Calling someone beautiful is just a WORD also, but it's debated, pondered on and argued even, every day in our society. Words DO, afterall have meaning............

Feb 12 06 04:01 pm Link