Forums > General Industry > What qualifies one as a professional photographer?

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

When Wal-Mart and Costco won't let your wife get prints because they say they are too professional. smile

Feb 13 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

JimNew

Los Angeles, California, US

Maybe better distinctions would be:

- Levels of publication, studio exhibition, and recognition/award
- Full-time vs. part-time
- Career/vocation vs sideline/avocation
- Experienced vs. new

I agree that the first line above is relevant. The other three don't mean much in my opinion. There are brilliant, skilled photographers that work part time, or as a sideline. Also, I've seen "new" photographers that were quite excellent. Most important thing is the pictures. Second most important is experience.

Feb 13 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

GOTHIC HANGMAN STUDIOS

New York, New York, US

In this day and age tearsheets are not the only qualification, I do alot of shots just for web and solely for no other reason then website content for Rock Bands. I imagine some other photographers do the same.

Feb 13 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

GOTHICHANGMAN STUDIOS wrote:
In this day and age tearsheets are not the only qualification, I do alot of shots just for web and solely for no other reason then website content for Rock Bands. I imagine some other photographers do the same.

Yeah, and how about the wedding photographer who doesn't get published?

Feb 13 06 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

R Christopher

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

Thanks Ken. 

OK, now we have:

Professional
Semi-Pro
Amateur
GWC

We need definitions of:

Advanced Amateur
Semi-Advanced Amateur
Quasi-Pro
Cheez-Wiz-Pro
Advanced GWC
Hobbiest
Advanced Hobbiest
Crap Artist
Advanced Artist
Wannabe Artist

Just so we'll all agree on the definition of terms, of course.

-Don

P.S.  Oh yeah.  And Working Pro and True Artist.

P.P.S.  And Amature.  Somebody tell me what that is.

DOn't forget definitions for "I am wasting my time" and "I just say I am a photog to score chicks"

Feb 13 06 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

Amatures have a zeal or deep passion.
This does not leave even throughout ones profession.
Professionals (can) reproduce themselves and their work.
Keen pros can do much with little, but who likes tool limitations.

Professional models are like great actors who can strut a step or send out a mood, on demand...

Feb 13 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

JimNew

UdoR wrote:

Yeah, and how about the wedding photographer who doesn't get published?

As I said a few posts up--in my opinion the most important thing is the work. So even if you're not published, if you have fabulous photos in your portfolio, that's the main thing. When I get hired by magazines, they never ask me about my experience or if I have a degree, or if I'm a "pro" or what percentage of my income is derived from photography. They assign photographers based on their work.

Feb 13 06 03:39 pm Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

Shan L Photography wrote:
This is really an honest question, and I wanted to post this yesterday. Just remembered after seeing the "experienced Model" thread.

I've seen a lot of average or even low average ports, however the photogs say they're "professional photographers." I would like to know what qualifies one as a professional photographer? When does one become professional?

I am sure everyone has different opinions.. but I consider a photographer a true professional when they have a lot of tearsheets, loads of experience and can pull out a stack of popular magazines they are credited in...

~Rachel

Feb 13 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

S D Y W O R L D

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

What makes a model a professional model. It's all in your mind and the quality of your work...And, the amount of years of experience.

Feb 13 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Barrett

Upland, California, US

I completely agree...one who get's paid to the equivelent of thier work.

This is a hobby to me...I have no allusions that no matter how great my skill level becomes, that I will ever become a "professional".

I love to shoot...I love to learn.

Feb 13 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Shan L Photography wrote:
This is really an honest question, ...

I've seen a lot of average or even low average ports, however the photogs say they're "professional photographers." I would like to know what qualifies one as a professional photographer? When does one become professional?

Most people take lousy photos, including professionals. Most people who love photography love doing their best and they are proud of what they do. We are all learning.

"professional" is simply a mindset of how we view ourselves.

One day I woke up many years ago, beat my chest like Tarzan, and proclaimed to the world and heavens that "I AM A BUSINESS!"

So what?

As Popeye would say ... "I Yam what I Yam, and that's all what I Yam"

LOL

Click Hamilton
Professional Something

Feb 13 06 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Hmmmmm,

Well,

I spent quite a few years as a competitive body builder, and in that world there were three types of bodybuilders.

1. Novice- up and coming  ..hasnt hit the stage yet, but certainly looks like a bodybuilder
2.Amature- In the ranks, competing..but no income from the sport..
3. Pro...has qualified in the reginals and now has a pro card...IF placing in top 10 to top      5, depending on the show..gets a check...

Some pros show up for a show and look like crap..PROs non the less...

Photgraphy/business..

Anybody who makes a living, full time or not..is a professional photographer. Uncle Sam doesnt care about the quality of your work. ONLY the amount of revenue yuou pull in from it.

There are a lot of hobby shooters who could put many pros to shame....they simply do not make money.....

Quality of shots is something we all lok at yes..but it is determining factor in being a pro.

If it's on your TAX return..OR SHOULD BE! You are a professional.

V

Feb 13 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

San Diego, California, US

I base professionalism on thier shots.

Feb 14 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Eugene Breaux retired

Saint James City, Florida, US

It seems to me that there are still a few things besides Image quality that separate a professional from an amateur.

1. Consistency. A professional is an artist that can be counted on to achieve the desired results on time, every time. Often an amateur will shoot thousands of pictures and select the best ones to display and many times these are happy accidents. A professional adds value to the customer when they can achieve the desired result quickly and efficiently without excuses and without missing a deadline.

2. Knowledge of commercial standards. A professional would not consider shooting an image of a model without ensuring that the model signs a model release for commercial uses. In the same manner a professional would know the right format to shoot with and when a desired effect could be more easily and effectively achieved in camera or on the computer screen.

3. Professionals provide solutions. A professional photographer is a creative problem solver who helps their client by finding a way to realize their creative vision. You need to shoot underwater? Aerial? Capture a bullet leaving a gun? It is the professional photographer who will figure out the best way to accomplish what is needed.

4. Experience. As we all know there are many advantages to working with a seasoned professional. A professional is more likely to do the job right, on-time, and on-budget.

5. Service. Most of the commercial photographers I know are proud of the level of service they provide to clients. A professional photographer wants to provide good value to their customers and develop a long-term relationship with the customer. Many photographers will gladly help a client with every phase of their project to serve them better. When you hire a professional you are getting someone who is committed to making your project a success.
Brent Phelps

Feb 14 06 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

Has your spouse ever asked you what that smell is?

Has your spouse ever asked you what happened to the clothesline?

Has your spouse ever thanked you for going digital because now maybe your fingertips will turn back to their original color and she can be seen in public with you?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, you are not deducting enough on your taxes for your home studio.

Feb 14 06 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

At times like these, I think it best to reflect on the words of the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, and although he was speaking of journalism, the same truths apply...
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Feb 14 06 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

The late Dean Collins, great photographer and teacher of photography, used to say all you needed to be a professional Photographer is a Business Card and a camera. You can rent the camera so in rality he overestimated the requirements!
Bob

Feb 14 06 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Jimfoto wrote:
Professional photographer: someone who takes photographs for a living.
Semi-professional photographer: someone who makes part of their living taking photographs.

This is faulty logic.  By this logic, someone could go from semi pro to pro just by quitting their other job(s).  Also, the amount of money someone needs to make to be considered a "living" is quite variable.  For example, I live in Wisconsin.  I can live my whole life for less than someone in California spends just on rent.  Then some would choose to live a very very meager life in order to devote all their time to photography, which they make very little money on.  Or someone could work half time in investments and half time in photography and make loads of money at both.

I'm just saying.

Feb 14 06 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

JimNew

Amanda Schlicher wrote:

This is faulty logic.  By this logic, someone could go from semi pro to pro just by quitting their other job(s).  Also, the amount of money someone needs to make to be considered a "living" is quite variable.  For example, I live in Wisconsin.  I can live my whole life for less than someone in California spends just on rent.  Then some would choose to live a very very meager life in order to devote all their time to photography, which they make very little money on.  Or someone could work half time in investments and half time in photography and make loads of money at both.

I'm just saying.

If you read all my posts on this thread, you'll see that my main point is that the term "pro photographer" isn't too meaningful. I don't think anyone gets hired because they call themselves a "professional" photographer. Call yourself whatever you like. It's the work that photographers should be judged by, not the terminology they use to describe what they do.

Just sayin' too.

Feb 15 06 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Loren Scott Photography

Valley Center, California, US

According to Canon, a professional photographer is one who derives more than 51% of their annual revenue from photography work.

Feb 15 06 12:41 pm Link