Forums > General Industry > 17 = trouble?? WTF!!

Model

Chloe Kirk

London, England, United Kingdom

Sinful Desires wrote:

I got one that said "talk to me when you're 20"
I drove 15 miles for the shoot and he said I forgot to ask how old you are (he found me on here!) I said "exactly what my profile says 18." and showed him my ID and he said to talk to him when I'm 20.

geez thats bad
people need to get over this age restriction thing completely

Jun 07 08 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

HSV Shooter

Huntsville, Alabama, US

If you are under 18 in the US you generally can't enter into a contract on your own.  I think that has a lot to do with people not working with models under 18.

Jun 07 08 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Sergei Pyuro

Los Angeles, California, US

The deal is that I, as a photographer have to deal with like 3 people your mom, your dad and you. Work around 4 dchedules......

Jun 07 08 08:04 pm Link

Model

Sebastian Spades

Enumclaw, Washington, US

Chloe Kirk wrote:

geez thats bad
people need to get over this age restriction thing completely

Luckily I don't have to deal with it anymore but I have friends that are almost 18 and right now well schools out now but it was so hard for them to find someone for their senior pictures! I offered a couple photographers I knew that I knew would do it but the schedules didn't mix or something. It's just awful! I took my best friends pictures for her  because she couldn't find anyone!

Jun 07 08 08:05 pm Link

Model

Sebastian Spades

Enumclaw, Washington, US

White Russian wrote:
The deal is that I, as a photographer have to deal with like 3 people your mom, your dad and you. Work around 4 dchedules......

do you require both parentals to be present, just one, or just a signature. People asked my mom to be present which is fine but my dads schedule never came up. Just curious about the 4 schedules.

Jun 07 08 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I know better than to get too deeply into this thread, because I know for a certainty which directions it will go, and how it will end up.  They always do.

That said . . . just one comment:

You don't need a contract to do a photo shoot.  Consequently, need for the ability to enter into a contract is not an issue in doing a shoot.

You may need someone legally competent to contract in order to make certain uses of the pictures, but that's an entirely different matter.

Jun 07 08 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Grime and Glamour

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

Valeria Figallo wrote:
most starting models are 16 or 17 sometimes even younger, i dont know why everyone thinks its SO ILLEGAL to shoot a minor, in fact agencies prefer underage models now.

only a perv would think shooting a minor its trouble and illegal, of course, you cant shoot a minor totally nude, but a "shooting" can be fashion, beauty,etc etc etc...

I did a shoot today with a 14yr old girl.Her mam held my reflector for me and also kept an eye on my tempramental flash.
It was fun and we got some pics that the model,her mam,dad,brother ,and myself were all pleased with!
:-)
Chris.

Jun 07 08 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Amedeus

Stockton, California, US

Soo much misinformation again ... TX is right about the contract ... any minor can have their pics taken (senior pics anyone ...)

What you do with the pics and the content you shoot is an entirely different matter ... I have multiple minors in my port and no ... I didn't get sued over shooting them ... lol

YMMV,

Rudi.

Jun 07 08 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Rybansky

Bayonne, New Jersey, US

don't do any shoot under 18 !!!

Jun 07 08 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

HSV Shooter

Huntsville, Alabama, US

TXPhotog wrote:
I know better than to get too deeply into this thread, because I know for a certainty which directions it will go, and how it will end up.  They always do.

That said . . . just one comment:

You don't need a contract to do a photo shoot.  Consequently, need for the ability to enter into a contract is not an issue in doing a shoot.

You may need someone legally competent to contract in order to make certain uses of the pictures, but that's an entirely different matter.

If someone is providing a service to you for compensation what would you call it?

Jun 07 08 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

xaveir

Atlanta, Georgia, US

10 of the twenty models on my page are 17.

Jun 07 08 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Whatagy wrote:
If someone is providing a service to you for compensation what would you call it?

A sale.

If you were to walk into the store and purchase some toothpaste, and pay for it, do you need a contract?  Can someone under 18 do it legally?

But a photo shoot need not involve "a sale" either.

Jun 07 08 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Amedeus

Stockton, California, US

Jerry Rybansky wrote:
don't do any shoot under 18 !!!

LOL ... don't take pics of your kids or grandkids either ... lol ...

j/k ... I did see your port ... love it !

Jun 07 08 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

HSV Shooter

Huntsville, Alabama, US

TXPhotog wrote:

A sale.

If you were to walk into the store and purchase some toothpaste, and pay for it, do you need a contract?  Can someone under 18 do it legally?

But a photo shoot need not involve "a sale" either.

That would be purchase of a good, right?

Jun 07 08 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Whatagy wrote:
That would be purchase of a good, right?

So what?

Can a person who is under 18 sit in a shoeshine stand, have his shoes shined, and pay for it?  Is that legal?  Or do you need a lawyer present?

Jun 07 08 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Rybansky

Bayonne, New Jersey, US

Amedeus wrote:

LOL ... don't take pics of your kids or grandkids either ... lol ...

j/k ... I did see your port ... love it !

bud family is differed least my the don't sue you later :-)

Jun 07 08 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

HSV Shooter

Huntsville, Alabama, US

TXPhotog wrote:

So what?

Can a person who is under 18 sit in a shoeshine stand, have his shoes shined, and pay for it?  Is that legal?  Or do you need a lawyer present?

Can a 17 yo buy a car?  Nope
Can a 17 yo buy a house? nope
Can a 17 yo contract with a lawn-care service? nope

Jun 07 08 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Amedeus

Stockton, California, US

Whatagy wrote:

Yes on all three questions ... as long as the 17 year old pays there's nothing wrong ... the contract may not be legally binding but the seller can wave it at his risk.

Jun 07 08 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

Whatagy wrote:

What is your point?

Jun 07 08 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Whatagy wrote:

Again, so what?  Which of those are required to do a photo shoot?

The reason a 17 year old cannot do those things is because they have a limited right to contract in their own names.  (By the way, they can legally do some of them, but the rights of the seller to enforce the contract are limited.)

However, let me restate my point, which you seem to have missed:

Jun 07 08 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Amedeus wrote:
Yes on all three questions ... as long as the 17 year old pays there's nothing wrong ... the contract may not be legally binding but the seller can wave it at his risk.

Bingo!  Someone who understands.

Jun 07 08 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

HSV Shooter

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Amedeus wrote:

Their legal guardian would probably have recourse against the seller.

In any case it's always up to the parties involved.  Just because you choose to do something does not make it legal.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/a … tract.html

Jun 07 08 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Whatagy wrote:

In any case it's always up to the parties involved.  Just because you choose to do something does not make it legal.

Unless this just became legalpitfallsofsellinghousestominors.com you are completely off topic.

Jun 07 08 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

HSV Shooter

Huntsville, Alabama, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Whatagy wrote:

Again, so what?  Which of those are required to do a photo shoot?

The reason a 17 year old cannot do those things is because they have a limited right to contract in their own names.  (By the way, they can legally do some of them, but the rights of the seller to enforce the contract are limited.)

However, let me restate my point, which you seem to have missed:

If you shoot a minor without parental consent that's your choice.  I think most people would not do it out of fear of recourse by their guardian.

Jun 07 08 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Whatagy wrote:
If you shoot a minor without parental consent that's your choice.  I think most people would not do it out of fear of recourse by their guardian.

Please go back and read what I originally wrote. You have managed to turn it into the usual paranoid response that we get in these kinds of threads, and nothing I said warranted that.

Jun 07 08 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

Whatagy wrote:

Now... I'm really confused.
From the linked web page:

Sports or Entertainment Contracts

Generally speaking, minors who enter into sports or entertainment contracts are held to them, and cannot void them at will.

Photographer

Amedeus

Stockton, California, US

Whatagy wrote:

Sorry, you lost me ... it is not illegal to sell to a minor nor is it illegal for a minor to buy goods or sign a contract.  The rights are different and the seller does it at his own peril ... please read and understand the link you provided in your post

Photographer

SunArcher Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Amedeus wrote:
... please read and understand the link you provided in your post

Wait, we actually have to understand the stuff that we post now?! When the hell did THAT change here?! lol

Jun 07 08 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

HSV Shooter

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Amedeus wrote:

Sorry, you lost me ... it is not illegal to sell to a minor nor is it illegal for a minor to buy goods or sign a contract.  The rights are different and the seller does it at his own peril ... please read and understand the link you provided in your post

You should also understand the rights of a minor's legal guardian.

Jun 07 08 08:43 pm Link

Model

Janice Marie Foote

Some models start off as babies.

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

SunArcher Photography wrote:

Wait, we actually have to understand the stuff that we post now?! When the hell did THAT change here?! lol

Day before yesterday...Didn't you get the memo?

Photographer

HSV Shooter

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Savvy_1007 wrote:
Some models start off as babies.

No problem with parental consent

Jun 07 08 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Whatagy wrote:
You should also understand the rights of a minor's legal guardian.

I do.  I hear them all the time.  They start off with, "You have the right to remain silent", which I would earnestly urge upon you at this point before you make yourself look even worse than you already do.

Jun 07 08 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Valeria Figallo wrote:
most starting models are 16 or 17 sometimes even younger, i dont know why everyone thinks its SO ILLEGAL to shoot a minor, in fact agencies prefer underage models now.

only a perv would think shooting a minor its trouble and illegal, of course, you cant shoot a minor totally nude, but a "shooting" can be fashion, beauty,etc etc etc...

As has been alluded to, it's the paranoia of the Religious right.. For whatever reason they seem to be afraid of the human body in it's most elegant form. And yet, some of the most beautiful artwork through the ages were nudes or partial nudes with religious overtones.. Kinda makes you wonder if some have regressed rather then advanced through the years.

For me, I have no issue shooting minors. In fact, I shot a 14 year old last week. We were alone even.. We've known each other for about a year and I've known her sister for 2 1/2 years.. Her mother point blank said I trust you.

For those that are afraid to shoot minors, I think it is impart because a segment of our society thinks it's immoral, and because they really don't understand the laws.. I mean, there are MANY photographers that photograph high school seniors with NO problems..

And I would photograph you in a heartbeat!!  smile

Jun 07 08 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Valeria Figallo wrote:

Teens are sending nude photos via cell phone

Why would kids nowadays wanna shoot fashion with us pervy photographers?

Jun 07 08 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

TXPhotog wrote:

I do.  I hear them all the time.  They start off with, "You have the right to remain silent", which I would earnestly urge upon you at this point before you make yourself look even worse than you already do.

Co-signed with TX's pen.

bt

Jun 07 08 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

SunArcher Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

SunArcher Photography wrote:

NewBoldPhoto wrote:
Day before yesterday...Didn't you get the memo?

Nope. All I saw was a notice of a World of Warcraft MM guild. Meh...TX never calls me for the important shit. lol

To keep it on topic, it's only trouble if you let it get to that point. I've seen some 17-year-olds who can give "adults" a run for their money in both the modeling and the maturity department.

Jun 07 08 08:49 pm Link

Model

taylee belle

Corona, California, US

Honestly it all depends on the model you work with,some 17 year olds are trouble,some not so much.  wink

Jun 07 08 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

taylee belle wrote:
Honestly it all depends on the model you work with,some 17 year olds are trouble,some not so much.  wink

Take out the words "17 year olds" from that sentence.  Is it still true?  I thought so.

Jun 07 08 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

I'd wager the OP has noted trouble really starts when the '18plusers' congregate.

bt

Jun 07 08 08:54 pm Link