Forums > General Industry > 17 = trouble?? WTF!!

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Valeria Figallo wrote:
most starting models are 16 or 17 sometimes even younger, i dont know why everyone thinks its SO ILLEGAL to shoot a minor, in fact agencies prefer underage models now.

only a perv would think shooting a minor its trouble and illegal, of course, you cant shoot a minor totally nude, but a "shooting" can be fashion, beauty,etc etc etc...

In the United States, you're not allowed to take photos of under 18 children in ANY fashion or you'll go to jail forEVER!!  Unless their parents are there and sign a release.  Then it's ok.  But if you don't do that, it's jail forEVER!!

There's a law!  I don't know it, but I heard there is one.  And it just makes sense.  Minors are trouble!

Jun 08 08 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Davis Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Valeria Figallo wrote:
most starting models are 16 or 17 sometimes even younger, i dont know why everyone thinks its SO ILLEGAL to shoot a minor, in fact agencies prefer underage models now.

only a perv would think shooting a minor its trouble and illegal, of course, you cant shoot a minor totally nude, but a "shooting" can be fashion, beauty,etc etc etc...

You are comparing the real world to a virtual world?  Don't confuse what you hear and see on Internet modeling forums with what happens in the real world.  It's far removed from the real world.  wink

Jun 08 08 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jamie-JAYCE-Charles

Hollywood, Florida, US

hmmm lol i don't think those laws apply in miami
or they just don't care HAHAHA

Jun 08 08 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

Christopher Hartman wrote:
In the United States, you're not allowed to take photos of under 18 children in ANY fashion or you'll go to jail forEVER!!  Unless their parents are there and sign a release.  Then it's ok.  But if you don't do that, it's jail forEVER!!

There's a law!  I don't know it, but I heard there is one.  And it just makes sense.  Minors are trouble!

lol  Damn that's funny.... assuming you are joking that is.

I tend to avoid shooting minors since a few of the series I am working on is pretty "adult."  I would rather not risk anyone associating my work with these funky series of mine with a shoot when I'm working with a minor.  I may sound paranoid, but I would rather be too careful than not careful enough.

Jun 08 08 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Davis Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Jamie-JAYCE-Charles wrote:
hmmm lol i don't think those laws apply in miami
or they just don't care HAHAHA

Ha ha....  most laws don't apply in Miami.  They don't have enough cops to enforce the laws.

Jun 08 08 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

SouthFLpix wrote:
Actually it is legal to shoot a minor totally nude, even in the puritanical US.

It's true.

Jun 08 08 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

I hope to visit Peru someday.

It's the Internet that is to blame for all this misinformation and our US government for the fear mongering.  I've photographed many minor aged ... actually I've photographed people of all ages for over 25 years. 

Photographing minors is becoming an issue because now we have kids ... some as young as 12 shooting nude pictures of themselves with their cell phone and sending 'em to their b/f or g/f in middle school.  That is the issue.  So I guess we shouldn't give cameras to minors? 

Valeria, if you were near me, I'd photograph you in a heart beat!  Technology has enhanced our lives, but also created some strange issues.

Jun 08 08 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

RGK Photography

Wilton, Connecticut, US

Valeria Figallo wrote:

You are a perfect example of the flawed logic. If you showed your avatar to 100 people I doubt 10 of them would guess you are under 18.

Jun 08 08 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

clarkphoto

Pinole, California, US

A Twisted Mind wrote:
I think that you were terminated unlawfully.

Nope. I was let go for harassment. Not sexual, verbal or physical. If an employee is made uncomfortable by actions in the work place, that can be harassment. This employee, when asked, said I had made her uncomfortable and my employer has/had a zero tolerance policy so I was history.
I'm convinced I made her MOTHER uncomfortable. When I talked to the HR rep, she flat admitted that they were scared silly that the mother might sue them. I wish she had. Then I could have defended myself

Jun 08 08 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

If you dont shoot under 19 then you can basically rule out working with any supermodel or top model in the making

Jun 08 08 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Carl J Speed II

San Antonio, Texas, US

Ssiimonaa wrote:
The problem in this world is that people tend to stupidely think that a 17 y/o is a child and an 18 y/o is instantly a grown-up.It's BEYOND stupid(I mean,extreme stupid,sorry)to think that a number can apply to everyone,everything,every f'n situation.It just really makes me angry.All these statistics are a GENERALITY.It's true that a very lot of people under 18 are not yet ready to face the sexual-centered world we live in,they cannot understand it.It's also true that there are 30 y/o people who don't understand it better than them.And there are also those who are underage and know way much more.There may be a lot,there may be a few,or so few that almost unrecognizable,but it doesn't make it disappear.You can't judge this like this,no way.Every situation must be handled differently.But of course,people are way too courageous to take risks.That's why this world never changes.Ugh

I agree.
And someone is a child when its convenient for them to be a child, and an adult when its convenient for them to be.

18...oh you can fight, die and defend your country, but noooo, gotta wait until 21 before you drink. You're not enough of an adult.

18 - you're an adult and can legally own some firearms, but you committed a fucked up crime @ 14? We'll try you as an ADULT.

Jun 09 08 11:16 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I think a big issue here is that while it's common in the actual industry where you're dealing with agents & agency models & well known established commercial/fashion shooters no one blinks or thinks twice about it.

But a lot of what you run in to OUTSIDE that world & on sites like MM where you have a lot of hobbyists, part timers, less established people, etc is an air of "Why does HE want to shoot someone under 17????"
In plenty of threads on this topic people have popped up to insist anyone who wants to shoot someone under 17 in anything less than a burqa's a pervert UNLESS that person's a pro working with an agency, and in some cases they've said even THEN they don't feel it's appropriate.

Also, this thread:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=133295
gives some pretty scary details on a photographer who had her life ruined because someone THOUGHT she shot pics of someone underage.

Jun 09 08 11:30 am Link