Forums > General Industry > Models NO RESPONSE

Photographer

Faro

Tallassee, Alabama, US

Is this a common problem or am I the only one ?
I've sent out dozens of request for shoots both PAID and TFP to models on this site and others,and to a large degree I get NO RESPONSE.
I don't know if the models are recieving my request, aren't interested,  or saying F U .
As a "Professional Photographer", I answer all request for shoots and photos, and if I can't find the time or
the model isn't particually interesting to me, I at least respectfully decline. It's a question of professional courtesy. So if models are professional, why don't they at least send a response. I see on MM where my messages have or have not been read, THANKS  MM

Jun 19 05 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

RFAphoto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

It's not so much a common problem, More of an epidemic!

What you are seeing is a initial indicator between a Model and a GWS (Girl with Snapshots). Some of them may be having computer issues or away on a shoot, but the majority of them just don't know or don't care enough to treat this like a profession.

I see it this way, they have done you a favor by not wasting your time trying to work with them. They have proven this is not a business to them, That alone would make working with them Dicey at best.

Jun 19 05 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

im my experience..i keep trying to drag these online models into the commercial world..they dont want to go..
an example..i offered a national tear and exposure to the marketing people of two clothing manufacturers this past weekend..at the very least, portfolio quality images with a stylist and MUA...

the responses i got online were, if i dont get a CD with all the images, im not interested...
??????????????

un-fu*king believable...

Jun 19 05 10:05 pm Link

Model

Ember Skye

Orlando, Florida, US

thats what i have heard also most of the time they are girls that have had one photo shoot or just like the idea of calling themselves models im sorry that i do not live closer i would love to work with you

Jun 19 05 10:06 pm Link

Model

Ember Skye

Orlando, Florida, US

im so sorry doug i did not here about it. i would have loved the chance to shoot with you wink

Jun 19 05 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I feel your pain.

I feel your pain.

Jun 19 05 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by chandra otto: 
thats what i have heard also most of the time they are girls that have had one photo shoot or just like the idea of calling themselves models im sorry that i do not live closer i would love to work with you

i know that the online world is different..land based models know that a call my come for a gig the next day..they have to be ready..or someone else will get the gig..i have seen where online models suggest that they need two weeks notice for a gig..land based girls might get 36 hours..

and just guess whos getting the work...

Jun 19 05 10:11 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

"Model and a GWS (Girl with Snapshots)" snickers, cute

It goes both ways - ie photographers asking models and not getting a response - and models asking a photographer and not getting a response.

If I don't hear anything, I presume the photographer isn't interested in me. There's a previous thread "what's the nicest way to turn someone down", and it seems to be common. But if that’s the case a simple "Only those chosen will be contacted" or something to that effect would be nice. smile

On the other hand, I try to respond to photographers, fans, etc. I suggest being patient, if they haven’t responded in a week, maybe try again, maybe they didn’t get your message? Or just move on to another model, someone better!

Jun 19 05 10:15 pm Link

Model

Ember Skye

Orlando, Florida, US

yeah but i have also had that prob with photographers also . you just have to filter them out.

Jun 19 05 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by chandra otto: 
yeah but i have also had that prob with photographers also . you just have to filter them out.

name names....i just heard of a photog that "flaked" on a model in miami this weekend..its the first time i can verify a photog flake...

Jun 19 05 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Marcello H Photography

Temple, Texas, US

Beleive me, you are not the only one this happens to. (Check out the forum I started just last week, "Can't get models.....")  As far as the models not responding, I usually send another email telling them that it's okay to say that they're not interested. I also tell them, "I can refer you to other photographers in their area that you might be interested in, but these guys also have to know that you may not get back with them."  Usually they come around and reply with the "I'm so sorry, "I'm so busy" line.

What I learned from the other forum is that your best prospects will be offline. Go to modeling agencies, workshops, find a college, go to Hooters, or even go to the mall. Your....Our chances of getting subjects successfully are a lot greater in these places than on these online model sites.

Jun 19 05 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

RFAphoto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Completely agreed, If someone will not bother to respond just to say No-thanks, they lack the professionalism that you would want in order to work with them anyhow, this goes for Models, Photographers, MUA's, any sort of a potential business contact.

I have a list I keep of who responds and who doesn't, but I keep it to myself and share only when comparing notes with other photographers. I do this in private though, I don't want to associate my business with negative feedback, I have enough work cut out for me, no need to make it harder!

Jun 19 05 10:23 pm Link

Model

Ember Skye

Orlando, Florida, US

im not one to name names but there is a photographer in jax that i have been talking with and i was spposed to shoot with and it would be contact contact contact real good and then he would not return my phone calls or emails for a week or so. i am also haveing a prob with one that i have shoot with him not geting my pics to me and not returning my phone calls  just abouch of drama

Jun 19 05 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by chandra otto: im not one to name names but there is a photographer in jax that i have been talking with and i was spposed to shoot with and it would be contact contact contact real good and then he would not return my phone calls or emails for a week or so. i am also haveing a prob with one that i have shoot with him not geting my pics to me and not returning my phone calls  just abouch of drama

come on tell us who....you know you want to...dont make us guess...

Jun 19 05 10:31 pm Link

Model

Lisa Fortier

Cocoa, Florida, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
im my experience..i keep trying to drag these online models into the commercial world..they dont want to go..
an example..i offered a national tear and exposure to the marketing people of two clothing manufacturers this past weekend..at the very least, portfolio quality images with a stylist and MUA...

the responses i got online were, if i dont get a CD with all the images, im not interested...
??????????????

un-fu*king believable...

How come you didn't contact me?? I would have been there !!

Photographer

Marcello H Photography

Temple, Texas, US

I really think we need a "Whistleblowers" forum. I'm tired of hearing about people who are serious about this get screwed by half-steppers. We need to list these people and get them banned from this site!

Model

Lisa Fortier

Cocoa, Florida, US

Posted by NuruExpressions: 
I really think we need a "Whistleblowers" forum. I'm tired of hearing about people who are serious about this get screwed by half-steppers. We need to list these people and get them banned from this site!

Amen Amen and Amen.  I agree wholeheartedly...

Jun 19 05 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

I have worked with a lot of models, and do most of my model fishing in the local markets and malls. My last model was found in a Cracker Barrel Restaurant, in Richmond, KY. I sent over eighty emails in 2004, to OMP models, and got about ten replys. I guess I was lucky to get the ten.

Jun 19 05 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

DarrelB

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I think Faro nailed it-professionalism.  The problem is rampant on OMP.  I think it is also a fact that many of them are just immature.  I posted a similar message on OMP  one model wrote back scolding me for posting the message in a forum where models frequent!  She went on to say maybe they don't know how to respond, duh No Thanks.

Jun 19 05 10:35 pm Link

Model

Ember Skye

Orlando, Florida, US

Posted by NuruExpressions: 

that would prob work well

Jun 19 05 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Lisa Fortier: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
an example..i offered a national tear and exposure to the marketing people of two clothing manufacturers this past weekend..at the very least, portfolio quality images with a stylist and MUA...the responses i got online were, if i dont get a CD with all the images, im not interested...
?????????????? un-fu*king believable...

you cant imagine how many responses i have two days after the shoot....i dont *ever* contact models individually, its unprofessional..i post castings or call agencies..

*the small circle of models i work with always get first dibs..they have right of first refusal..but in this case there were two "new online models" i directed to the casting post, thinking they wouldn't even know there was a board posting gigs...but other then that, the castcall posting is how i do it..and most other as well...i assume most models are vigilanty looking for work..but i guess i was wrong...

sorry for anyone that missed the posting..but keep your eyes peeled..thats where the jobs are..

Jun 19 05 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Lisa Fortier: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

??????????????

un-fu*king believable...

He turned me down.

Jun 19 05 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

One thing to remember is that for most JOBS the photographer is not in charge of casting or just has a small input.

Jun 19 05 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

RFAphoto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I think A large part of the problem is that anyone can claim to be anything on the internet, and there seem to be an abundance of females who get to say "Hey I'm a model" by making an OMP or MM profile. they think their job is done and they will get discovered, they are half right...They're done.

These people don't realize that modelling is hard work or that it's "Work" at all. All they know is the finished product, the SI swimsuit issue and the beautiful pics. They don't realize the Model was starving herself for months to even get considered, had to REALLY hustle to get thought about for the deal and then Froze her butt off while someone was saying "Look beautiful, stop shivering, be sexy!"

All they know is the fantasy that it was all perfect, everyone was super Euro cool, and it was a paid vacation with a six figure check.

Jun 19 05 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Marcello H Photography

Temple, Texas, US

Amen

Jun 19 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

HenryS

BRONX, New York, US

I think its a mixture of a lot of things, but unprofessionalism often isn't one of them.  Why isn't it?  Because many of these women are just as was said -
girls with photos.  They really aren't even in the profession enough to be unprofessional.

Jun 19 05 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Faro

Tallassee, Alabama, US

Thanks for all the input. I have considered malls and coledges as a source and really think I will try that avenue. You would think though that you at least have a chance on the web where they APEAR to be interested !

Jun 20 05 08:15 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

??????????????

un-fu*king believable...

It's because they are stupid vain little B*****s...

Jun 20 05 08:49 am Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

I've had photographers contact me to work with them, then I email them back saying sure when are you free, then never hear from them again. Clearly its not just models who have this problem.

Jun 20 05 08:54 am Link

Model

nicci

Columbus, Ohio, US

I don't know what's worse:

No response or people who message you asking if you'd be interested in shooting *such and such*, clearly not reading your profile and making note that it specificually says you're not interested in those particular shoots.

Jun 20 05 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

For my surprise models on MM respond back much more often than the ones on OMP. 

Jun 20 05 09:09 am Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Posted by Faro: 
Is this a common problem or am I the only one ?
I've sent out dozens of request for shoots both PAID and TFP to models on this site and others,and to a large degree I get NO RESPONSE.
I don't know if the models are recieving my request, aren't interested,  or saying F U .
As a "Professional Photographer", I answer all request for shoots and photos, and if I can't find the time or
the model isn't particually interesting to me, I at least respectfully decline. It's a question of professional courtesy. So if models are professional, why don't they at least send a response. I see on MM where my messages have or have not been read, THANKS  MM

I ALWAYS reply to every single message that I get.  I will MAKE the time to do so.  I feel that communication is a very important key in any business or potential job.  I have references...and even people I haven't worked with yet they KNOW I will respond.  They don't even worry about it anymore with me.  I am pretty fast at responding.  Usually same day, sometimes a couple if I am out of town.  But never a week.  And no matter what...if I get a person asking about a job, I will email them either way I decide to go.  If I choose to take it...I email them and talk with them further...even talk to them on the phone.  If I don't want to do it or I am not interested at this time, I will email and say that.  Models who do this..yes make it harder for everyone else.  But there are faults on both sides..there are photographers out there that do the same thing.  But...me being consistant and being a good business person to work with in this industry is only going to help me in the long run.  Lots of love and luck to you. 

McKenzie

Jun 20 05 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Studiofoto

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

This is a professional site and it should be the responsibility of both models AND photographers to act professionally.  We are all busy, we all get more email then we like, but if we are to succeed we should treat our "industry partners" with respect.  And that means in many cases perhaps just a one line reply - "thanks but I'm booked for that date", "I'm available, send more details", etc, etc.  At least the photographer or model knows that you got the email and can either expect a shoot or find someone else.  It just a matter of being professional. 

Jun 20 05 03:36 pm Link

Model

Denny T Love

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I AM NEW TO THIS AND ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT THE BUNCH OF MAILS OR REQUEST FOR WORKING TOGUETHER I HAVE GOTTEN ARE #1 NON- PAID AND MOST INMPORTANT FROM PEOPLE THAT CALL THEMSELVES PHOTOGRAPHERS BUT THEIR PORTFOLIO HAVE A LIST OF CRAPPY LOOKING GIRLS THAT LOOK LIKE THEY WERE KIDNAPPED AND HELD IN A BASEMENT WITHOUT A SHOWER.I HAVE NOT ANSWERED PEOPLE LIKE THIS BECAUSE I DONT HAVE TIME FOR THIS KIND OF JOKE IS A WASTE OF TIME. NOW IF IT IS SOMEONE WITH HUGE TALENT AND DECENCY IN HIS WORK THEN I WILL TAKE A MOMENT OF MY BUSY LIFE AND SHOW SOME RESPECT.OUT OF THE MILLION PHOTOGRAPHERS I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO WORK WITH IN THIS SITES MAYBE 2 HAVE BEEN WORTH TALKING TO.   

Jun 20 05 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Posted by Louis Braga: 
For my surprise models on MM respond back much more often than the ones on OMP.   

This is very true too.  I've had more communication with models and photographers on here in the couple of months that the site has been up than I have on OMP in almost a year.

Posted by McKenzie: 
I ALWAYS reply to every single message that I get.  I will MAKE the time to do so.  I feel that communication is a very important key in any business or potential job.

Can't agree with this statement more.  Make the time to go through all of your messages no matter how many you get.  Nothing bugs a person more than sending out an honest message to someone who you obviously want to work with and then hear nothing back.

Jun 20 05 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Tito Trelles-MADE IN NY

Miami, Florida, US

Posted by Julia Rocker: 
I AM NEW TO THIS AND ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT THE BUNCH OF MAILS OR REQUEST FOR WORKING TOGUETHER I HAVE GOTTEN ARE #1 NON- PAID AND MOST INMPORTANT FROM PEOPLE THAT CALL THEMSELVES PHOTOGRAPHERS BUT THEIR PORTFOLIO HAVE A LIST OF CRAPPY LOOKING GIRLS THAT LOOK LIKE THEY WERE KIDNAPPED AND HELD IN A BASEMENT WITHOUT A SHOWER.I HAVE NOT ANSWERED PEOPLE LIKE THIS BECAUSE I DONT HAVE TIME FOR THIS KIND OF JOKE IS A WASTE OF TIME. NOW IF IT IS SOMEONE WITH HUGE TALENT AND DECENCY IN HIS WORK THEN I WILL TAKE A MOMENT OF MY BUSY LIFE AND SHOW SOME RESPECT.OUT OF THE MILLION PHOTOGRAPHERS I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO WORK WITH IN THIS SITES MAYBE 2 HAVE BEEN WORTH TALKING TO.   

Hello...you didn't answered any of the two nice emails I sent you...so I disagree with you. Tito Trelles

Jun 20 05 04:10 pm Link

Model

Annalise

Dallas, Texas, US

faro- I as a model have that problem with photographers. I have been going nuts trying to figure out whats going on.

crystal

Jun 20 05 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Now isn't this just a fun post...As much as this has been hatched over and over again...I think the true answer here is...There are flake photographers and there are models that do not know what to do when offered a good shoot or because they have a couple of pix in their port and not a dam thing about themselves, they think that all photographers are ATM machines. Sorry folks, this is just the life of the internet...Fortunatly, MM has been 100 times better the OMP ever was...

Jun 20 05 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

TnM Photography

Huntington Beach, California, US

Well, my experience with messaging models on MM since the new messaging went into effect, (2months??).
23 messages sent
10 replies
8 more than 2 messages sent between us
4 of those with 5 or 6
2 single replies, I sent back a message no response
5 still waiting to be read
whatevers left just no response at all, I know they've been read.

Now i'm waiting for responses on a few, and have done 2 shoots with models contacted on MM.
So overall i'm not complaining, they don't wanna shoot or be serious about modeling I don't wanna hear from em anyway.
Anyone that does want to shoot, go ahead and contact me, i'll answer.

Mike

Jun 20 05 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Posted by Doug Harvey: 
Now isn't this just a fun post...As much as this has been hatched over and over again...I think the true answer here is...There are flake photographers and there are models that do not know what to do when offered a good shoot or because they have a couple of pix in their port and not a dam thing about themselves, they think that all photographers are ATM machines. Sorry folks, this is just the life of the internet...Fortunatly, MM has been 100 times better the OMP ever was...

We're in the midst of an epidemic of immaturity, lack of professionalism, ego tripping, and lack of consideration.  Is this what creative collaboration is all about?  My experience is that the problem generally becomes less as the age of the models goes up.   

Jun 20 05 05:51 pm Link