Forums > General Industry > No more shoots with models with managers.

Photographer

Louis Guidone

Woodside, New York, US

Ah yes 'managers'.  Guys that pimp out their wives, work for the mob, have odd little tats on their hands and necks, three cell phones and a pager, do too much coke, wear too much cologne, show up with guns in their coats and Rolex watches on...  or do 'video work' or 'web design' for a living are not welcome at my shoots.  I don't allow shady people near my equipment and have no desire to do business with them.

Feb 18 06 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Steven Bigler wrote:
you don't have a clue about me or my past / present / future... You peddle your workshops... I'd offer to give you a clinic... but I really couldn't give 2 shits about you.

-done.

Ditto... you also have no clue on my past, present or future.  I dont peddle workshops.  I provide photographers and models with opportunities to work with each other in controlled environments... giving photographers a chance to work with models they couldnt normally afford, while giving models the option of working with talented photographers, receiving free images and pay at the same time... much more beneficial than any TFP assignment.  Workshops provide directors with instruction and usually cost photographers several hundred dollars.  I am admittedly not qualified to be a photographic workshop instructor.  In fact, most of the photographers that attend my events are usually more educated, talented and creative than I am.  I've checked out your images and your claimed accomplishments, and to be quite honest with you, there's dozens of photographers who've attended my past events who FAR exceed whatever it is you could possibly offer... so ah... your right about that 'not giving 2 shits' part for sure... done... wink

Feb 18 06 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

Dan  Hood  MM/Moderator wrote:
http://member.onemodelplace.com/member.cfm?P_ID=5516

Dan... now don't go picking on Steve Az... he seems like a cool guy.
(Besides... you got the link wrong!:  http://www.onemodelplace.com/member.cfm?P_ID=5516  )

...wait... that is the same link!  I'm confused!!!!!

Feb 19 06 07:18 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

D'Magi Visual Concepts wrote:
After the shoot, I gave the model a standard model release to sign, as well as a reciprical release so that she could also use the photos in any way she wanted (i.e. prints, media, websites, calendars, etc.). 

Have any other of you photogs come across insanity like this?

Models, what are your thoughts?

Here is your problem. Have the release signed BEFORE you do the shoot or no good.

What if the issue was age and the model turned out to be sixteen?

Feb 19 06 07:28 am Link

Photographer

WestWoodStudios

This industry is so full of haters! from models to photographers you all talk about each other so much, it is a wonder how anyone gets anything done. I find it so Funny when a photographer calls a model he worked with " My Model" like they own them. really pathetic. once again i get a great laugh.

Robert

Feb 19 06 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Steven Bigler wrote:

Dan... now don't go picking on Steve Az... he seems like a cool guy.
(Besides... you got the link wrong!:  http://www.onemodelplace.com/member.cfm?P_ID=5516  )

...wait... that is the same link!  I'm confused!!!!!

I bet you get confused a lot.........

I'm sure Steve is a swell guy, but the fact that he and many others posted here slam "Sluggos" then come to find out they have their own little internet harem.

I'm just saying it seems funny when they cant stand sluggos yet are sluggos themselves.......

Yes Bigler the winds of hypocrisy blow strong on the plains of Mayhem

Feb 19 06 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Let me reiterate!
Model Mayhem has a no "net" manager (sluggo) policy. If you contact a model and some sluggo answers back please use the contact a moderator feature https://www.modelmayhem.com/contactamod.php and it will be dealt with!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/danhood/gifs/slugo-avatar.gif

While I'm at it
why they are called sluggos around here
https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=4956

Feb 19 06 08:08 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Now that is funny, the guy who hates "sluggos"  so much yet is one of the King sluggos himself.  19 little hotties in his omp stable
http://member.onemodelplace.com/member.cfm?P_ID=5516

The hypocrisy around here is amazing

That was completely out of line, Dan.  I know Azzara and I know that no matter how many models list his number as "manager" on OMP, he's not managing anyone. He doesn't read their mail, give instruction or any other sluggo crap.  The OMP system allows any model to list any member as her manager.  I don't know why anyone would bother. Several models who also have MUA or photographer accounts there actually list themselves as managers so they can amend both profiles from one log in.

As for the rest of this thread, it makes my head hurt. SO much misinformation, so little time! My ex-paralegal head spins.  Learn what a release is. Learn what it does.  Learn what copyright is and what it does.  Learn what a model manager is and what it does or just shut the hell up. 

Yes, amatuers will sometimes ask for unreasonable things. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all learn to communicate clearly before the shoot happens?

Feb 19 06 08:09 am Link

Photographer

mphunt

Hudson, Florida, US

Let me reiterate!
Model Mayhem has a no "net" manager (sluggo) policy. If you contact a model and some sluggo answers back please use the contact a moderator feature https://www.modelmayhem.com/contactamod.php and it will be dealt with!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/danhood/gifs/slugo-avatar.gif

While I'm at it
why they are called sluggos around here
https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=4956

If there is no policy, then what's the violation?

Feb 19 06 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

(I really should leave Gary and Steve to fight it out, but...)

Select Models wrote:
I dont peddle workshops.

That may be technically correct, but you've compared your events/supershoots/glamourshoots/photoshoots/"I don't honestly consider our events to be 'photodays'"/whatever-you-call-them to commercial shoots multiple times and to workshops even more often, that it's easy to see how someone would think they were being pimped, er, touted as being workshops.

Your regulars certainly know better, but Steven isn't in that circle, and is seems disingeneous to fault him for being mislead by repeated misleading claims.  (Even Mary Erickson thought you had instructors when this came up last year, and she's not a sloppy reader.)

Select Models wrote:
much more beneficial than any TFP assignment.

You've made this claim many times before, but never gave any reason to believe it. Could you explain? You seem to believe--or at least claim that your "personal viewpoint on TFP (Time For Prints) assignments is... we think its a rippoff!", stating that skill levels on the parts of either the model or photographer have plateaued, yet providing no justification to indicate it's any different at your events.

(Claims of "several quality, grade 'A' models (not loser wannabees)" being present doesn't make it so (though I'm curious as to what a grade 'A' model would actually be if there were any real definition of it.)

Select Models wrote:
In fact, most of the photographers that attend my events are usually more educated, talented and creative than I am.  I've checked out your images and your claimed accomplishments, and to be quite honest with you, there's dozens of photographers who've attended my past events who FAR exceed whatever it is you could possibly offer... so ah... your right about that 'not giving 2 shits' part for sure... done...

Dozens? I suppose it's possible if you counted  the "1000s of models & photographers attending thru-out the [last 13] years", but even then I'd suspect that belief to be based on your education, talent and creativity, and using your own expectations. (For example: would a model at your event prefer a chance to "win" $400 or a chance to be published in a national magazine? Different assumptions lead to different answers.)

Feb 19 06 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

Let me reiterate!
Model Mayhem has a no "net" manager (sluggo) policy.[...]

mphunt wrote:
If there is no policy, then what's the violation?

Slight difference between

"has a no 'net' manager (sluggo) policy" and
"has no policy".

They're opposites, in fact, due to that silly little letter 'a'. smile

Feb 19 06 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

theda wrote:

That was completely out of line, Dan.  I know Azzara and I know that no matter how many models list his number as "manager" on OMP, he's not managing anyone. He doesn't read their mail, give instruction or any other sluggo crap.  The OMP system allows any model to list any member as her manager.  I don't know why anyone would bother. Several models who also have MUA or photographer accounts there actually list themselves as managers so they can amend both profiles from one log in.

Well Theda he may be your best bud and a totally righteous dude but the fact is 19 models list him. If he doesn't like it he can remove the numbers from his port.  Many photographers wont contact a model with the manager link, I bet he knows that yet he still allows them to list him. What does that say......

Feb 19 06 08:27 am Link

Photographer

mphunt

Hudson, Florida, US

Kevin Connery wrote:

Let me reiterate!

"has no policy".

Sorry, not enough coffee.  smile

Feb 19 06 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Kevin Connery wrote:

Let me reiterate!

"has no policy".

Huhh...
it's right.... MM has a "no manager policy"

I dont see your point.

Feb 19 06 08:33 am Link

Model

natalia v

New York, New York, US

D'Magi Visual Concepts wrote:
Okay, I've had it.  Stick a fork in me... I'm DONE.

I've had it with models who want to shoot TFCD, but they must bring there managers.  No More!!!!!

Models:  A photo shoot is a time of creativity and flow.  It is a time for you to express yourself in front of the camera, to be the best you can be so that the photographer can capture you in the best light (pun intended).

But when you bring your so-called manager, you are throwing a wrench in the works.  You are constantly looking to them for approval or suggestions instead of relying on the photographers skill, expertise and creativity.  Managers do not see what the camera sees.

Today was the straw that broke the camels back for me.  I shot a TFCD with a model (with "manager" (lover) in tow.  After the shoot, I gave the model a standard model release to sign, as well as a reciprical release so that she could also use the photos in any way she wanted (i.e. prints, media, websites, calendars, etc.). 

Her manager decided she (the manager is female) would HAND-WRITE a  reciprical release of her own, stating that the model had EQUAL rights to the images. 

I explained that the release I was giving her already gave her the rights to print, reprint, use, modify and publish the images (with proper photo credit), but she demanded that I give equal rights (which implies shared copyright) to the image or her model would not sign my release.

Now, I paid for the studio and the make-up artist.  I set-up the studio, did the shoot, tore down the studio, and am doing the post-production of the images, but she's demanding EQUAL rights to the images.

Of course, I did not, nor will I sign.

Have any other of you photogs come across insanity like this?

Models, what are your thoughts?

sorry, but it's model's time to butt in now...  I think I read most of this , but there is so much and you can't expect a model to do that much reading, right?  lol wink

I don't usually involve myself in these types of discussions, but I know a lot of photographers and I have heard about this a lot.  Has anyone gone back to the beginning of this discussion and asked this question? :

If you were just doing a test, why did you need a model release in the first place?!?  If the pictures were just for your portfolio then the photographer owns the images and the model and the photographer both have the right to use it for their own self promotion already without signing anything!  I have never signed a release for a test, and my agency would kill me if I did.  I don't sign releases for editorial either.  I never even sign a release for jobs.  the voucher a client fills out with the pay, names and everything that I turn into my agency for billing acts as the release that allows them to use the pictures for the specified use.  The only time to ever sign a release is when it is going to be used for advertising or if the pictures are being sold.  The only time for no pay was with Terry Richardson.  he has you sign a release saying that you know he may publish nude pictures of you in one of his books, obviously so later you cant sue him saying he damaged your career.

If it is for your book, there is no reason to sign a release. 

And for you guys that ruined your pictures because they wouldn't sign a release, you could still use the pictures for your books without the release!!!  that was a dumb move, sorry.

Feb 19 06 09:04 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

To men, Models are like watches, cars or country club memberships...... The more ya got, the cooler ya look.

Feb 19 06 09:15 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

natalia v wrote:

sorry, but it's model's time to butt in now...  I think I read most of this , but there is so much and you can't expect a model to do that much reading, right?  lol wink

I don't usually involve myself in these types of discussions, but I know a lot of photographers and I have heard about this a lot.  Has anyone gone back to the beginning of this discussion and asked this question? :

If you were just doing a test, why did you need a model release in the first place?!?  If the pictures were just for your portfolio then the photographer owns the images and the model and the photographer both have the right to use it for their own self promotion already without signing anything!  I have never signed a release for a test, and my agency would kill me if I did.  I don't sign releases for editorial either.  I never even sign a release for jobs.  the voucher a client fills out with the pay, names and everything that I turn into my agency for billing acts as the release that allows them to use the pictures for the specified use.  The only time to ever sign a release is when it is going to be used for advertising or if the pictures are being sold.  The only time for no pay was with Terry Richardson.  he has you sign a release saying that you know he may publish nude pictures of you in one of his books, obviously so later you cant sue him saying he damaged your career.

If it is for your book, there is no reason to sign a release. 

And for you guys that ruined your pictures because they wouldn't sign a release, you could still use the pictures for your books without the release!!!  that was a dumb move, sorry.

There are some basic differences between TEST and TFP just as there are between an agency and independent model but you make an interesting point.  You also answered your own question.  You signed a release for Terry Richardson for the potential future use of the images.  It is no different for any other photographer.  I may be showing my book a year from now and the art director loves the shot.  Five years from now I may choose to display in a gallery or decide to publish a book.  You may not be able to contact the model in the future (moved etc.) to procure a release.   I do agree however, it is silly to destroy the images.  This should all be clearly communicated prior to the shoot.

Feb 19 06 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

PlasticPuppet

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Huhh...
it's right.... MM has a "no manager policy"

I dont see your point.

He was replying to someone else who thought MM has no policy on managers vs a no manager policy.  That's the point.

Feb 19 06 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Torrence Williams wrote:
First off Managers, can perform duties as an agent.

As has been noted, this depends on the state you live in.  In some states, managers & agents are distictly different legal entities.

Feb 19 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

LCB Photography

Burbank, California, US

Ya, I have worked with a lot of managers - and the legit, professional ones are usually ok... but the ones that I always have a problem with are the boyfriend/managers - they seem to never know what they are doing and it is usually evident from the first interview (I always interview before hiring and I always have releases signed before shooting - no interview, no ID, no release - no shoot). But I digress...

Recently I was interviewing models for a mag I was shooting for and the publisher recieved an email from a model's manager. Let's call her Jane and let's call him Bubba. The publisher liked her looks - she was just what he was looking for... and to make a long story short - the publisher told Bubba to contact me to set up an interview. Bubba called me but was very hesitant to set up an interview - wanting to know why Jane needed to do an interview in the first place - LOL. I explained to Bubba why we would need to interview Jane... then, with an attitude, he set up a time for the interview. By this time I had already had it with him and if it were not for the fact that Jane was exactly what the publisher was looking for I would not have even bothered with this dynamic duo.

A few days later, Bubba and Jane never showed for the interview - never even called to cancel. I was done, but the publisher called Bubba and again explained the process to him and within an hour Bubba and Jane showed up for the interview - lucky me.

Jane was a complete amateur with no modelng experience, but she was very sweet, quiet and yes, she was pretty... and also pretty young - as in a very naive 18 year old who was also very controlled by her older boyfriend (uh, I mean manager). Talk about annoying - Bubba barely let her talk. I would ask her a question and he would answer - arg!  I asked to see her ID - Bubba forgot it in the car and went out to fetch it - and believe it or not, he made Jane go with him. Finally, after another few minutes of HIM talking, it was time to do a few quick (test) snapshots of her. With every direction I gave her, she had to look to him to make sure it was ok. The only time she didn't need his approval was when he excused himself for a moment to go use the restroom - I was surprised that he didn't make her go as well... But while he was gone, her whole personality changed, she actually came alive and was very real and personable - almost glowing. Once he returned, she again became shy and acted as if a dark cloud was hovering over her. So sad. I really felt bad for her.

Anyway, I was sooooo done with Bubba. I finished up as quickly as I could and they left.

A few days later the publisher called to check Jane's schedule for the possibility of being booked on our shoot and Bubba said that he was too busy watching a movie at the moment and would call back at a later time (he never did), but before hanging up the phone, he also told the publisher that unless Jane was guarenteed the cover, that they really were not interested in the shoot - Riiiight...

Yup, he's gonna take her REAL far... So sad...

This is just an example of why I don't like working with boyfriend managers - arg!!!

Feb 19 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/GaryAbigt/Nikki7.jpg

Shot of Nikki at last years 'Laguna Beach Photoshoot'!

Can we get some reflector or fill flash to eliminate those shadows on her face, please?  :-)

Feb 19 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Steven Bigler wrote:
Well first of all... that is why I have releases signed BEFORE the shoot... and I put them away and out of (reach!) sight.

Next... when encountered with the same thing ages ago by a  "manager"/boyfriend (John) of a model (Nikki Christian) ... I simply tore the seal and unraveled the film.  DONE.  Serves as a fairly equal  "fuck me? / fuck you!"

Sign it first... if they have a problem with it... they would have had a problem after the shoot as well.

LMAO as Gary said. You hurt Nikki HOW exactly???? LOL Gotta love managers. Some are great and realy help facillitate things. Some hinder the process. As seems to be the case here.

I know I have dealt with models who have asked me to manage their affairs for them to insure they are treated fairly and sometimes because they are too busy to really keep track of themselves.

My role in that regard is deal with the initial stuff and present options. From that point on it's up to her who they shoot with and when.

The occasional times I've gone on shoots I pretty much end up taking a nap or spending the entire time on the phone working on other things. (Usually yelling at MY managers, directors, insurance agent, and agent)

But as a general rule I MAY deal with a manager once depending on how bad I want to work with the model, and they have all of 30 seconds to make a good impression before I get the models information directly. Can anyone say Bay Area Talent???? LOL

And if your "Manager" is taking a set percentage of your money or getting you work then at least in California they are an AGENT and MUST be licensed.

But that is what you get when you deal with people who are totally ignorant on how business is handled. Yet another reason why so many photographers and models with great potential get no where. Absolutly ZERO business sense.

Feb 19 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

natalia v wrote:
The only time for no pay was with Terry Richardson.  he has you sign a release saying that you know he may publish nude pictures of you in one of his books, obviously so later you cant sue him saying he damaged your career.

Well, there you go, if it's for TERRY RICHARDSON it's OK

*rolls over in peels of laughter*

WHY that no-talent moron gets so much acclaim & latitude is something I will NEVER understand

Feb 19 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Darque wrote:
Manager's are NOT art directors,  they should not have a say in a shoot.

My favorite question for annoying "Managers" .... "When did I make you the AD? Oh wait I didn't so shut the fuck up and go sit in the corner until Im done." Add the Im not looking at you Im looking through you 1000 yard stare and it works everytime.

Though sometimes they make things so much more fun by offering up ideas and encouragement. Had one girl bring her suitcase pimp to a shoot and he had her doing stuff on this machine that I wouldn't have even thought to ask her to do. It was great.

Feb 19 06 05:55 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

byReno wrote:
There are some basic differences between TEST and TFP just as there are between an agency and independent model but you make an interesting point.  You also answered your own question.  You signed a release for Terry Richardson for the potential future use of the images.  It is no different for any other photographer.  I may be showing my book a year from now and the art director loves the shot.  Five years from now I may choose to display in a gallery or decide to publish a book.  You may not be able to contact the model in the future (moved etc.) to procure a release.   I do agree however, it is silly to destroy the images.  This should all be clearly communicated prior to the shoot.

The difference is most other photographers aren't going to get you the acclaim a Terry Richardson book would, so signing away rights for a few shots isn't worth it.

Feb 19 06 06:14 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Well Theda he may be your best bud and a totally righteous dude but the fact is 19 models list him. If he doesn't like it he can remove the numbers from his port.  Many photographers wont contact a model with the manager link, I bet he knows that yet he still allows them to list him. What does that say......

Not as much as you think it does, because not that many photographers run in fear if they see a manager icon on a model's OMP page.  Most wait until the manager actually butts in to run in fear. 

In all your time on OMP, it's odd that you would never have picked up on the buddy-link thing. There's a definite segment of OMP users who use the manager link as the ultimate public acknowledgement.

The fact is, you're making false accusations based on the presense of an OMP link. Since I happen to know the guy, I figured I'd correct you, but you just don't want to be wrong about this one.

Feb 19 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

I guess I have had a somewhat different set of experiences with most model managers.    First off I don't assume the person is going to be a problem; and in most cases they are not.  In fact, in most cases they are a nice liasion between myself and the model.  There are always going to be some that are problems (like any other activity), and like most of you I avoid them and move on. 

The whole OMP manager thing is really odd, I know of many "managers" that actually do no activity even remotely related to directing a model's career or involvement on the net.  I had a couple of models who also linked to my profile and when I deleted them they weren't very happy, because they did feel it was the ultimate compliment.  I just explained that I did not feel comfortable being presented to others as any type of "manager", and moved on.  I guess for me it hasn't been that big a deal.

I don't know Steve Azzara personally, but I have had a couple of conversations with him and several contacts on the net in years past.  He seemed like a very reasonable person to me, and his work is outstanding. 

Before I would brand him or anybody with the term "sluggo"  I would at least extend him the opportunity to explain his reasons.

Feb 19 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Kevin Connery wrote:
but even then I'd suspect

Yep... suspicions for sure... still dazed and confused after all your exposure to my website and MM port (you must have it memorized by now... LOL).  Well KC... after hearing all your rhetoric... there's STILL only one credo I operate under... here it is: (copy and pasted directly from my MM port)

HERE'S SOME ADVANTAGES OF ATTENDING ORGANIZED PHOTOGRAPHIC MODELING EVENTS

FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS: To rent a terrific studio, hire a makeup artist & book 3-4 great models, it could cost $500-$900 and more, right? Guess again! The cost of our next event is $70, and it comes with everything listed above. Only exception is, you're splittin the cost with a few more guys. Are you tired of booking models, just to have them flake out & not show? Have you paid for props, backgrounds & equipment, locations & transportation cost, only to find that you've been stood up by an inconsiderate model? Would you like the convenience of working with several great models within the same time period? Are you pissed off about all the permits, licences, insurances requirements and red-tape bullshit you have to deal with when trying to organize your shoot?

FOR MODELS: Are you hoping your photographer is someone you can trust, not a creep or sex offender? Are you afraid the location or environment will be unsafe, or not to your liking? We do not host nude events. You will never be forced to pose nude against your own free will. Would you like a variety of interesting and artistic images? This is something you get by working with a few different photographers who possess their own creative style. Do you think you are actually worth hiring & tired of not getting paid?

We can sympathize & relate to your concerns. What Select Models offers is an opportunity to solve these problems, by organizing events that keep both parties happy. Working with models & photographers in small groups, or '1 on 1' is more the rule than the exception. Granted, the group shoots we host are not for everyone, but if you're a talented photographer in SoCal who is looking for attractive models to work with at reasonable rates, you may have found your most convenient & cost effective solution. We supply the location, so you dont have to mess with all the shooting permits, parking passes, license fees & insurance requirements that are many times MANDATORY for shooting in this state. If you're a beginning or advanced model looking to network & shoot with several quality, talented photographers, participating in a few of our shoots could open many doors for you. We invite only the most promising & attractive models to our events. If you think you cant make enough money, think again. Jeska Vardinski (MM#14883) attended our January event & went home with well over $300 for a few hours work (combination of pay & model release money) and many great (free) images for her MM port. We're not saying every model can make this much money, but it is possible to make even more. If you network effeciently with photographers, some strong future income potential is there. We select several beautiful event locations each year, offering a variety of backgrounds at all locations. We invite pro & semi-pro photographers who take their craft of image creation seriously. Models are paid cash, get talented & trustworthy photographers to work with, offering different styles of images & different looks, providing variety in your portfolio. Nothing shouts 'amateur' louder in an online portfolio than the same basic style, same backgrounds, or for photographers, many photos of only a few different models. We have hosted over 120 photographic modeling events since 1992, with 1000s of models & photographers attending thru-out the years. The largest event had 91 models and 311 photographers in attendance (Humphries Mansion/1995). Future events will NOT be that insane, with emphasis on the quality of participants, NOT the quantity. Thanks for visiting our page. Look forward to working with you at future events.

Feb 20 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

theda wrote:

The difference is most other photographers aren't going to get you the acclaim a Terry Richardson book would, so signing away rights for a few shots isn't worth it.

That may very well be the case.  We all want acclaim.  One needs to weigh the potential.  If you are only concerned with immediate gratification as most are, by all means it is not worth it.  If you are looking to the future, well,  there is a reason there is a saying “Be careful who you step on….â€?.

Feb 20 06 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Simple! no release no shoot!

Feb 20 06 02:37 pm Link

Model

Sari

Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

I´ve seen many models with boyfriend/lover managers fail. Most of them don´t forward messages to their girls, make trouble at shoots or make the models do things that they just do to please them.

I would never make my boyfriend my manager. I trust him and I love him, but I want to do my "business" and my "deals" myself. I talk with him about what I do but I´m the one that makes the decision and the contacts.

Feb 21 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

Gary, simply repeating the same unsupported claims doesn't count as providing support/evidence/justification for them.

I have to give Gary credit for being consistent, though. Pimping his events without answering any of the questions is such a predictable response I should have known better than to ask for substance; he never provided it any other time I asked.

Feb 21 06 03:17 pm Link