Forums > Photography Talk > Models with myspace.

Photographer

K E S L E R

Los Angeles, California, US

Anyone ever cancel a shoot with a model after viewing her myspace?  I have.

There are numerous times where the pictures they have up on MM are so photoshoped or display their "assets" and nothing else; yet if you go on their myspace they have a lot of shots that are just disgusting... some are so bad that it makes you not want to work with them.  Just this last week alone I canceled 2 future shoots after viewing the models myspace, and I'm in a situation where I'm about to do it again.

Anyone else find myspace a total buzz kill?

Jun 29 08 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Know Idea

I fucking hate MySpace.

https://www.chipmorton.com/MM/South_Park_Portrait.jpg

Jun 29 08 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

This thread is useless without outings. PM please wink

Jun 29 08 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Other than what you mentioned why did you cancel?  The ones you spoke of did not have one photo that showed their look or what?  Are you only looking for experienced models or potential models?  I for one do not even go on myspace, but I was just curious how that was such a turn off.

Jun 29 08 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

KGToops Photography

Treasure Island, Florida, US

it was, till i was discovered and received my highest paid job because of it

Jun 29 08 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

Bernie Browder  wrote:
Other than what you mentioned why did you cancel?  The ones you spoke of did not have one photo that showed their look or what?  Are you only looking for experienced models or potential models?  I for one do not even go on myspace, but I was just curious how that was such a turn off.

Just to name a few...

Skin imperfections, drastic weight difference from what their portfolio states.  Questionable measurements.  I.e If she says 34-24-34 and her pictures look like 32-30-32.... stuff like that.

Jun 29 08 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

El Mercurio

Houston, Texas, US

I didn't actually cancel a shoot, but I def decided against arranging any shooting with a model thanks to Myspace.
All her shots looked great on MM, but in some  of her snapshots on Myspace she looked like 5 miles of bad road. I wasn't ready to spend hours and hours fixing her face, and realized that someone put some serious time into her MM shots.
Thanks Myspace. But yes, Myspace still sucks.

Jun 29 08 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

K E S L E R wrote:

Just to name a few...

Skin imperfections, drastic weight difference from what their portfolio states.  Questionable measurements.  I.e If she says 34-24-34 and her pictures look like 32-30-32.... stuff like that.

I understand.  I guess thats why I have never really considered myspace.  At least for the most part with sites like this and others it does somewhat slim down the fakes, flakes and ones who are not serious.  I can't imagine going through all that mess on myspace to find a model  LOL

Jun 29 08 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

DGB Photography

FINKSBURG, Maryland, US

Wouldn't that make one want to give the model images that are actually good to use? Saying this was a TFP/CD shoot you were about to do.

I'll browse on MM and if I see cell phone/Webcam or other low quality images, I'll contact the model and invite her to look at my port. Then I would ask the model if they would like to "update their images with higher quality shots that will make them more marketable." It's a polite way of saying "Hey, your images are crap. I can do better. Let's shoot."

It's an opportunity for her to move forward and an opportunity for a photographer to improve and increase the variety of his/her portfolio.

Jun 29 08 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

T A R I Q

Baltimore, Maryland, US

why not EMPLOYERS TURN DOWN people every day once they see their myspace pages......

Photographer

El Mercurio

Houston, Texas, US

K E S L E R wrote:

Just to name a few...

I'm right there with you on the skin!

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

KGToops Photography wrote:
it was, till i was discovered and received my highest paid job because of it

Yep, I get contacted all the time for things in Tulsa because of my MySpace profile.  Nothing on here.

Jun 29 08 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Timelessimage PHOTO wrote:
why not EMPLOYERS TURN DOWN people every day once they see their myspace pages......

You must know a LOT of employers to know this.

Jun 29 08 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

You lost me.  Is this a comment, suggestion, question?? what is it?

Jun 29 08 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

DGB Photography wrote:
Wouldn't that make one want to give the model images that are actually good to use? Saying this was a TFP/CD shoot you were about to do.

I'll browse on MM and if I see cell phone/Webcam or other low quality images, I'll contact the model and invite her to look at my port. Then I would ask the model if they would like to "update their images with higher quality shots that will make them more marketable." It's a polite way of saying "Hey, your images are crap. I can do better. Let's shoot."

It's an opportunity for her to move forward and an opportunity for a photographer to improve and increase the variety of his/her portfolio.

I see your point and I also see the OP's point.  Looks are not the problem or the quality of their photos already on there.  But when you start morphing yourself into a completely different person that kind of makes you wonder who is really going to show up I guess.

Jun 29 08 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

T A R I Q

Baltimore, Maryland, US

DJantz wrote:

You must know a LOT of employers to know this.

YES SIR... MY SISTER WORKS IN HR FOR A LARGE GOVERNMENT AGENCY IN NYC......

Jun 29 08 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Francisco, California, US

K E S L E R wrote:
Anyone ever cancel a shoot with a model after viewing her myspace?  I have.

There are numerous times where the pictures they have up on MM are so photoshoped or display their "assets" and nothing else; yet if you go on their myspace they have a lot of shots that are just disgusting... some are so bad that it makes you not want to work with them.  Just this last week alone I canceled 2 future shoots after viewing the models myspace, and I'm in a situation where I'm about to do it again.

Anyone else find myspace a total buzz kill?

I can't see myself canceling with a model for having a myspace page. But I could easily cancel for a model's bad sense of judgement.

Jun 29 08 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

So it is government, not just a lot of employers

Jun 29 08 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

T A R I Q

Baltimore, Maryland, US

K E S L E R wrote:
You lost me.  Is this a comment, suggestion, question?? what is it?

what I was attempting to say was that turning down someone because of their images on myspace is not unusual it happans all the time, or maybe I miss understood your original statement...my bad

Jun 29 08 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Bernie Browder  wrote:

I'm kinda wondering about this too, as 99% of the images on MM are photoshopped too.

I get all my paying business from Myspace and many others in here do too.

Jun 29 08 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

what I was attempting to say was that turning down someone because of their images on myspace is not unusual it happans all the time, or maybe I miss understood your original statement...my bad

I hardly think that the one Gov agancy constitutes ALL the time. Or reflects the thoughts of a LOT of employers

I had a friend who was fired from a County office for hers.  Guess what?  It has become a big case and they are in court because they violated her privacy rights.

Jun 29 08 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

DGB Photography

FINKSBURG, Maryland, US

Bernie Browder  wrote:

I see your point and I also see the OP's point.  Looks are not the problem or the quality of their photos already on there.  But when you start morphing yourself into a completely different person that kind of makes you wonder who is really going to show up I guess.

True.
That's why I think everyone on MM Should have a full body image of themselves unedited.

Jun 29 08 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

I had lunch with a model that I did a shoot with to discuss shooting her wedding.  She showed up in sweats, had her hair in a pony tail, had a couple of skin blemishes... looked nothing like the person I had shot.  If things had happened in reverse order and I decided not to shoot her based on what I saw that day I would have missed a great opportunity. 

My thought is that if other photographers can get good results with a model on MM when she has taken the time to look her best for a shoot, I should also be able to get good results. 

I do check to see if the shots are recent and look for obvious things like over blurring of the skin but I'm going to make my decisions based on how they look when they've been professionally shot, not what they look like in a crappy cell phone pic.

Jun 29 08 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

T A R I Q

Baltimore, Maryland, US

DJantz wrote:

I hardly think that the one Gov agancy constitutes ALL the time. Or reflects the thoughts of a LOT of employers

I had a friend who was fired from a County office for hers.  Guess what?  It has become a big case and they are in court because they violated her privacy rights.

agree, but from what she tells me employers look at these peoples facebook and myspace profiles as well, I have some clients who are fully aware of this practice by employers thus they will not shoot and/or post salacious or party wild images on the web for fears of losing their jobs, security clearance or being hired. Listen guys I didn’t mean for my statement to become a distraction from the original post.

Jun 29 08 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Storm Surge Photography

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I have decided not to shoot with models based on their myspace. Went to their myspace and they have dozens and dozens of the exact same self-portrait. Or they have a boatload of pics from bad event photographers. Shows a preference for quantity over quallity.

If the myspace shot is just a blog and pics of hanging out with friends or family, no problem. Again, if there are a high volume of the same shot, I wont bother and wont respond to a request.

Jun 29 08 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

J Bennett Photography

Paramus, New Jersey, US

I dont like myspace at all.  and since i dont have an account, i cant see any of the pics they have anyway. its pretty frustrating. Im not going through the whole registration process just to see some pics. 
i think the model should put them on a hosting site that supplies a direct link.  such as photobucket...i know there are others that do the same thing.  but i would never tunr down a model just cause i cant see her myspace pics.
chances are they total armature stuff anyway.
you just need to communicate with the model some, and OH Lord....possibly dare i say..Get a Phone number and TALK to them??
maybe thats just crazy ol me!!

Jun 29 08 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

DJantz wrote:
So it is government, not just a lot of employers

I can see a Gov't application now. "Do you have a Myspace page"?

heh

Photographer

visual kink

View Park-Windsor Hills, California, US

I have gone to a models myspace and had second thoughts about shooting her. The models I worry about are the ones that only have pics from the neck up.

Photographer

K E S L E R

GM Photography wrote:
I had lunch with a model that I did a shoot with to discuss shooting her wedding.  She showed up in sweats, had her hair in a pony tail, had a couple of skin blemishes... looked nothing like the person I had shot.  If things had happened in reverse order and I decided not to shoot her based on what I saw that day I would have missed a great opportunity. 

My thought is that if other photographers can get good results with a model on MM when she has taken the time to look her best for a shoot, I should also be able to get good results. 

I do check to see if the shots are recent and look for obvious things like over blurring of the skin but I'm going to make my decisions based on how they look when they've been professionally shot, not what they look like in a crappy cell phone pic.

I don't think a model bumming it is the topic.  All of the girls I ever shot obviously look like crap (most women, including my mother lol ) without make up.

I'm addressing all the models that have their pictures liquefied, severe acne retouched, etc, etc.

Jun 29 08 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

PhotoJoe wrote:
I dont like myspace at all.  and since i dont have an account, i cant see any of the pics they have anyway. its pretty frustrating. Im not going through the whole registration process just to some pics.  i think the model should put them on a hosting site that supplies a direct link.  such as photobucket...i know there are others that do the same thing.  but i would never tunr down a model just cause i cant see her myspace pics.
chances are they total armature stuff anyway.
you just need to communicate with the model some, and OH Lord....possibly dare i say..Get a Phone number and TALK to them??
maybe thats just crazy ol me!!

This is where the subjective opinions of Myspace come into play.  You ASSume that since it's Myspace that no one has anything other than snapshots there.  You couldn't be more wrong.

I use it for networking and it is very helpful in getting paying shoots.  I joined 2 years ago only to see something a friend had on her page.  A few months later I got my own page going and it has benefitted me greatly.

If someone doesn't know how to market or do their own networking with it, don't blame the resource.  smile

Jun 29 08 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

T A R I Q

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Greg Cobb Photography wrote:

I can see a Gov't application now. "Do you have a Myspace page"?

heh

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n … d+Checking

Jun 29 08 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Studio 68 wrote:
I have gone to a models myspace and had second thoughts about shooting her. The models I worry about are the ones that only have pics from the neck up.

Or if they're shooting downward toward themselves.

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

agree, but from what she tells me employers look at these peoples facebook and myspace profiles as well, I have some clients who are fully aware of this practice by employers thus they will not shoot and/or post salacious or party wild images on the web for fears of losing their jobs, security clearance or being hired. Listen guys I didn’t mean for my statement to become a distraction from the original post.

But you are talking government.  Hell, I have seen tons of businesses with MySpace pages now, even advertising them on television.

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Holy crap that's almost scarey!!

Jun 29 08 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

T A R I Q

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Greg Cobb Photography wrote:

Or if they're shooting downward toward themselves.

To be fully honest, if they are paying me I am SHOOTING

Jun 29 08 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

That same search also brings up this article.

http://hr.blr.com/news.aspx?id=78022

Employers can't even ask age now but they can see it on MySpace (if the person puts the true age in).  Gonna be problems!

Why not make a new one with great info on it and give that one?  LOL.

Jun 29 08 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

Jun 29 08 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

K E S L E R wrote:
LOL lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peHXAhGkA7E&e

LOL yeah but did he or didn't he get the job? LOL

Jun 29 08 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

T A R I Q

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Bernie Browder  wrote:

LOL yeah but did he or didn't he get the job? LOL

yup he got the job and then they docked a years salary for the old hard to fine CRT monitor, LOL

Jun 29 08 12:56 pm Link

Model

ashleywagnerrr

Temecula, California, US

true. haha

Jun 29 08 12:58 pm Link