Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > United States Army

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

Yup. I joined it. Now let's start taking bets on how long I stay. WAIT! Does that mean George Bush is my boss now?

Feb 21 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Fyre1704 wrote:
Yup. I joined it. Now let's start taking bets on how long I stay. WAIT! Does that mean George Bush is my boss now?

Congratulations. Not really your boss. Thats like saying Bill Gates is the boss of anyone who uses Microsoft XP.

Feb 21 06 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Phil Kimpton

Taunton, Massachusetts, US

R. Olson (RO) wrote:

Congratulations. Not really your boss. Thats like saying Bill Gates is the boss of anyone who uses Microsoft XP.

Actually I thought Bill Gates was like the leader of the Borg and out to assimilate all us XP users? lol

Congrats on joining the army Fyre... Hope it works out great for you.  smile

Feb 21 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

Fort Mill, South Carolina, US

Been there done that....have a good time : )  Do you know what your MOS is yet?

Feb 21 06 08:03 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

R. Olson (RO) wrote:

Using it and working for it is different. The President is the chief of the military. The Army is a branch of the military. I'm working for the Army. Thus, President Bush would be my boss.

Like the McDonald I'm working in now. The owner has several stores that is each running by different people. Same concept. The store manager works for the boss and I work for the store manager. So I'm really working for the guy who owns all the McDonalds in Whitehall.

Did I confuse anyone yet?

Steven Eldridge wrote:
Been there done that....have a good time : )  Do you know what your MOS is yet?

Nope. They're sending me to Harrisburg on Sunday to do all the good stuff.

Feb 21 06 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Red Triangle Studios

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Well, not really, if Bill Gates calls you up and says he's sending you to another country, you probably don't have to do it.

Hey Kaylee, that's pretty cool though, I was in the Army for 7 years, and I still get the itch to go back. Free photo sessions anytime you're in Houston! smile

Feb 21 06 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

I am just wondering your reason for joining the Army ?

Feb 21 06 08:08 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

Red Triangle wrote:
Well, not really, if Bill Gates calls you up and says he's sending you to another country, you probably don't have to do it.

Hey Kaylee, that's pretty cool though, I was in the Army for 7 years, and I still get the itch to go back. Free photo sessions anytime you're in Houston! smile

If you work for Bill Gates and the contract says that you are required to relocate when your boss says so, you have to relocate or quite your job.

Sure. Do I get free cookies and icecream too?

You know, my grandparents used to live in Houston. I still have family down in Texas, but they're in Arlington though. I also have families in Colorado, Nebraska and Arizona. I should take a vacation to all of those places.

That Look Photo wrote:

I want to go to college to be a forensic psychologist. From what I understand, you can't get anywhere in that field with just a bachelors and limited jobs with an MD. And also from what I understand, the military has a program that can give me experience working in that field, so I just want the experience. They also have great benefits so I said heck with it. I'm just signing for 15 months though. Just in case if I don't like it, I don't have to stay for like 4-6 years. And if I do like what I do in it, I can re-enlist for a longer period of time.

Feb 21 06 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jack Curtis

Westlake, Louisiana, US

Well God bless you, and thank you, young lady for your service to our country.
Let me share a little experience with you. To the chagrin of the photographers out there I'd advise you belay any nude shoots until after your tour is up. A long time ago we worked with an active duty model who did a very classy topless pinup shoot, and ended up facing a courts martial when she showed it to another Private, who ended up showing it to her CO. We lost touch with her so I never heard how that all turned out, but just the idea that she had to go through all that over a PG-13 photograph is pretty freaky. It seems that after that hand goes up your body and the display thereof is the property of the US Army. Just thought I'd share that experience with you.

But after your discharged......call us! :-)

Feb 21 06 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Fyre1704 wrote:

R. Olson (RO) wrote:

Using it and working for it is different. The President is the chief of the military. The Army is a branch of the military. I'm working for the Army. Thus, President Bush would be my boss.

Like the McDonald I'm working in now. The owner has several stores that is each running by different people. Same concept. The store manager works for the boss and I work for the store manager. So I'm really working for the guy who owns all the McDonalds in Whitehall.

Did I confuse anyone yet?

Nope. They're sending me to Harrisburg on Sunday to do all the good stuff.

Considering I was raised with a military father and had a short stint in it, I do know the difference. I got out because of the current CNC didnt know a tactical decision from a dipstick. Did my original post not first start with "Congratulations"?

Feb 21 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

I think you will find the Army something that will stay with you your whole life. When you are in bootcamp you will find yoursef doing things you never thought you could do. Just remember everyday is one day closer to getting out of bootcamp. You will feel like a million bucks after it in mind and body. Also keep in mind that in these times you could end up fighting in Iran or one of the other problem areas. Good Luck and stay safe.

Mike

Feb 21 06 08:27 pm Link

Model

Jen Andrews

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

I was in the Army too..  Good Luck it's a whole different world once you are in a lil piece of advice just do what your told, be where your suppose to be, and give it your all...   Hooah...

Feb 21 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Red Triangle Studios

I was talking about the comment saying it was like Bill Gates being the boss of everyone who uses XP :p

Fyre1704 wrote:
If you work for Bill Gates and the contract says that you are required to relocate when your boss says so, you have to relocate or quite your job.

Feb 21 06 08:31 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

R. Olson (RO) wrote:
Considering I was raised with a military father and had a short stint in it, I do know the difference. I got out because of the current CNC didnt know a tactical decision from a dipstick. Did my original post not first start with "Congratulations"?

I don't agree with everything the government does and especially what Bush does, but you can't agree with them all the time. It's better than my current job at McDonald but I don't think it can beat modeling. But thank you.

Jack Curtis wrote:
Well God bless you, and thank you, young lady for your service to our country.
Let me share a little experience with you. To the chagrin of the photographers out there I'd advise you belay any nude shoots until after your tour is up. A long time ago we worked with an active duty model who did a very classy topless pinup shoot, and ended up facing a courts martial when she showed it to another Private, who ended up showing it to her CO. We lost touch with her so I never heard how that all turned out, but just the idea that she had to go through all that over a PG-13 photograph is pretty freaky. It seems that after that hand goes up your body and the display thereof is the property of the US Army. Just thought I'd share that experience with you.

But after your discharged......call us! :-)

I was thinking about that. Well, I've only got one nude shoot planned and it's implied. You're anticipating my discharge already?

Feb 21 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Great!!!

Semper Fi, from a Jarhead....it will be something you will alway remember throughout your life and people will respect you even more.

Also you are adorable, and you will have a 100:1 male/female ratio in your favor. Have fun!

Good luck, and keep you head down.

M

Feb 21 06 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Fyre1704 wrote:

I don't agree with everything the government does and especially what Bush does, but you can't agree with them all the time. It's better than my current job at McDonald but I don't think it can beat modeling. But thank you.

You going to Jackson for your training? Anything is better than McDonalds wink

Feb 21 06 08:36 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

Red Triangle wrote:
I was talking about the comment saying it was like Bill Gates being the boss of everyone who uses XP :p

But that doesn't matter. Using XP and working for Bill Gates is different. Yea, I use the U.S. military each and everyday and they can draft. They just can't draft me because I'm a girl :p

And if Bill Gates says you'll have to pay an x amount more to buy his computers, you'll more than likely pay that amount to use his computer. So, he's like Bush but has more brains.

R. Olson (RO) wrote:
You going to Jackson for your training? Anything is better than McDonalds wink

Basic training will be in PA. As far as training for my job, I have no clue!

You know what? The pay at McDonald isn't great and some customers can be more than rude, but it does pay off. When you wake up early in the morning to serve people breakfast and someone walks in and says "thank you very much for that smile", you get a warm feeling inside. Or if a customer's yelling at you because they don't know what in the world they're talking about and your manager and coworkers are standing behind you saying you did a good job and that you're right and the customer is wrong, that's rewarding. It might not be the BIG rewards but it's the little things that count.

Feb 21 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Red Triangle Studios

Actually, the very first post I was responding to, I totally misread, please disregard any of my references to it smile

I had a blast in the Army, of course being stationed in Hawaii didn't hurt.

Feb 21 06 08:41 pm Link

Model

Jen Andrews

are you going as an officer or enlisted?
Do u know where your going for basic?

Feb 21 06 08:41 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

Native Love wrote:
are you going as an officer or enlisted?
Do u know where your going for basic?

Enlisted. If I'm qualified for MP then I can get out of basic training in June as an E3. Basics are done here in Allentown. Then I'll have to find out tomorrow where they're putting me after graduation.

Oh yea. The military is going to get my greencard for me so I won't be deported in June. Yay!

Feb 21 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Red Triangle Studios

Well, that's a bonus smile

Feb 21 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Fyre1704 wrote:

Enlisted. If I'm qualified for MP then I can get out of basic training in June as an E3. Basics are done here in Allentown. Then I'll have to find out tomorrow where they're putting me after graduation.

Oh yea. The military is going to get my greencard for me so I won't be deported in June. Yay!

Deported? Why would they deport such an intellegent woman? Sheesh.

Feb 21 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

That Look Photo wrote:

Why does an average American join the army? Becasue this way you can murder people and get away with it. It's as simple as that. You can also take cool party pictures of yourself abusing naked prisoner - doesn't it sound like fun?

Feb 21 06 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

2nd Floor Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I just got out in 2004.  I was a combat medic.  Remember:  the tree of liberty must be replenished from time to time with the blood of tyrannts and patriots!

Feb 21 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

2nd Floor Photography wrote:
Remember:  the tree of liberty must be replenished from time to time with the blood of tyrannts and patriots!

If that is true then Usama must be a hero.

Feb 21 06 09:17 pm Link

Model

Jen Andrews

I am curious are you using your degree to get you futher in the chain of command?  I believe the more college you have the higher enlisted you can be.

Feb 21 06 09:18 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I have the utmost respect for those who serve in the armed forces to protect the freedom and values of this country and its people.  There are a lot of easier ways to make it in life than to risk putting yourself in harms way to stand up for others.  I am immensely appreciative for those who have chosen to make this sacrifice of time and risk, and especially to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice of giving there lives.  Protecting others is a noble and courageous activity.  I have never met a military person who did not have a heightened sense of honor and fortitude.  So, I give you thanks! I wish you well, and I trust that you will gain many positive experiences.

Feb 21 06 09:18 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

R. Olson (RO) wrote:
Deported? Why would they deport such an intellegent woman? Sheesh.

LOL, well, I'm flattered. My greencard expires in June.

MarkMarek wrote:
Why does an average American join the army? Becasue this way you can murder people and get away with it. It's as simple as that. You can also take cool party pictures of yourself abusing naked prisoner - doesn't it sound like fun?

Well, remember this next time: I'm not the average American. I'm Asian-American. :p

Native Love wrote:
I am curious are you using your degree to get you futher in the chain of command?  I believe the more college you have the higher enlisted you can be.

Oh. I understand that but I'm only in High School right now. The military is paying for my college education.

Feb 21 06 09:26 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Fyre1704 wrote:

That's a bonus...

So you want to be an MP? Or do you want something else. I noticed you said something about psychology (I think). Had you thought about going in as a medic? You could work in the hospital, and possibly in the psychology field there. My hubby is enlisted...only E5 until he transfers some credits and goes up against the board for promotion. That should be a few months. He's a medic, but his mos is as an eye technician.

Of the posts I've been to, I highly recommend staying off of Fort Rucker, as there is nothing here. However, Fort Sill was pretty good. It's in Oklahoma, though. I liked it, because I grew up around there. I heard Colorado Springs is a nice one, and so is Fort Lewis. We wanted to go to Fort Lewis, but our next post assignment is to Heidelberg, Germany. I'm not really complaining, though. I get a chance to see Europe!

Feb 21 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Fyre1704 wrote:
I'm not the average American. I'm Asian-American. :p

Which part of Asia? I'm having hard time placing you correctly.

Feb 21 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Anybody who is sick & twisted enough &/or plain dumb enough to volunteer to join our armed forces (I know I was once one of them), all I can do is tip my hat to you.

Feb 21 06 09:46 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

BeccaNDSouth wrote:
That's a bonus...

So you want to be an MP? Or do you want something else. I noticed you said something about psychology (I think). Had you thought about going in as a medic? You could work in the hospital, and possibly in the psychology field there. My hubby is enlisted...only E5 until he transfers some credits and goes up against the board for promotion. That should be a few months. He's a medic, but his mos is as an eye technician.

Of the posts I've been to, I highly recommend staying off of Fort Rucker, as there is nothing here. However, Fort Sill was pretty good. It's in Oklahoma, though. I liked it, because I grew up around there. I heard Colorado Springs is a nice one, and so is Fort Lewis. We wanted to go to Fort Lewis, but our next post assignment is to Heidelberg, Germany. I'm not really complaining, though. I get a chance to see Europe!

We went through the lists of jobs and MP was the field that interested me the most. If I have a choice, I'll stay here in PA. If not, I'll go anywhere. It's a chance to go places and I'll take it.

MarkMarek wrote:
Which part of Asia? I'm having hard time placing you correctly.

Yea, a lot of people do. I have no idea why. I'm from Vietnam. 92% Vietnamese and 8% Chinese.

Farenell Photography wrote:
Anybody who is sick & twisted enough &/or plain dumb enough to volunteer to join our armed forces (I know I was once one of them), all I can do is tip my hat to you.

I'm a sick sick child! Oh, while I'm at it, I'll just take that hat of yours.

Feb 21 06 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Whatever you do get EVERYTHING in writing. And I mean EVERYTHING!!!!

And yeah unfortunately that little sniveling fascist weasel Bitch errrr Bush is yer boss... LOL

Feb 21 06 09:51 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

DJTalStudios wrote:
Whatever you do get EVERYTHING in writing. And I mean EVERYTHING!!!!

And yeah unfortunately that little sniveling fascist weasel Bitch errrr Bush is yer boss... LOL

Why?

You know what's the good news? He'll be out in 2 years!

Feb 21 06 09:54 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

Oopsy daisy. Double post.

Feb 21 06 09:56 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Fyre1704 wrote:

Why?

You know what's the good news? He'll be out in 2 years!

Even sooner if some of us good ole' citizens can do something about it...hehe.
He may be my hubby's boss, but I am so glad we don't have to like him.

Feb 21 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Marcel

Fussa, Tokyo, Japan

Wow they let you sign up for only 15 months? I had to sign for 6 to get my MOS. The Air Force is the way to go. My wife is in the Air Force, and they take care of their people, not like the Army, where you will be staying in the desert most of that time. No UCMJ can be taken against you until you get on that plane to basic. Don't believe anyone who tells you different. If you just want the benifits go talk to the AF recruiter. Here's a contracst of how it was when I met my wife:
AF- AC, own room, private bathroom, carpet, double bed, recliner, no formations, and this was all AF issue
Army- Tile floors (need waxing), Intermitint AC (controlled by others ), multi person rooms, shared bathrooms and showers, daily PT and formations.
Just somethings to think about, I could go on but I know people get uninterested.

Feb 21 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Marcel

Fussa, Tokyo, Japan

Oh yes. GWB is your boss! You can't talk bad about him now.

Feb 21 06 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

First off, thank you for serving.

Second.  I have a very good friend that joined less than a year ago.  Long story short the Army jerked him around about his MOS. 

Look out for term...  "Needs of the Army"  Stay away from anything that has that associated with it.  The Army will screw over your plans for their plans.

Also, Cradle to Grave every single piece of paper work.  I can't tell you how many times he has been screwed over because of paper work or the lack there of.

Thank you again!

Feb 21 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Best of luck and take care. The experience is one that alters you forever and for the better.
Bob

Feb 21 06 11:03 pm Link