Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > true versions of fairy tales

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

I remeber reading and watching all the movies when I was a child, Cinderlla, Pied Piper, etc....  But as I got older I actualy read into some of these stories were actually quite fucked up.  Like after Snow White woke up and got married they made the evil queen dance in red hot iron slippers at her wedding.. or ike in the Disney version she didn't just bring the poison apple. That was actually last, first it was a poisoned comb, and then a corset to crush Snow White's ribs.... please share

Jul 15 08 04:13 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I had read that version of Snow White...

Alice In Wonderland, the book, is quite different from the Disney movie!

Jul 15 08 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

These are very old stories.  If you go back and read less diluted versions of them, they're all pretty much gruesome.

Jul 15 08 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Why Dangle

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Hollywood or Disney are not the places to look for faithful interpretations.

Jul 15 08 04:21 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sita Mae wrote:
These are very old stories.  If you go back and read less diluted versions of them, they're all pretty much gruesome.

Yes!
Damn Disney and their political correctness!

Jul 15 08 04:21 pm Link

Model

Heather LeStabbityDeath

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Sita Mae wrote:

Exactly.  They got censored and cleaned up for the slowly weakening and 'civilized' generations, until this point where everything is fluffy and everyone loves everyone else and it all ends happily ever after. Gaaaay.

Jul 15 08 04:24 pm Link

Model

Cwen

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Toxxic Pixxie wrote:

Yes!
Damn Disney and their political correctness!

Disney, politically correct?! Yeah right. hmm

Jul 15 08 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

photoguy42

Toledo, Ohio, US

Toxxic Pixxie wrote:
I had read that version of Snow White...

Alice In Wonderland, the book, is quite different from the Disney movie!

It was written by a pedophile for his "favorite" niece.

Jul 15 08 04:25 pm Link

Model

-Nicole-

Madison, Wisconsin, US

egyptmachine wrote:
I remeber reading and watching all the movies when I was a child, Cinderlla, Pied Piper, etc....  But as I got older I actualy read into some of these stories were actually quite fucked up.  Like after Snow White woke up and got married they made the evil queen dance in red hot iron slippers at her wedding.. or ike in the Disney version she didn't just bring the poison apple. That was actually last, first it was a poisoned comb, and then a corset to crush Snow White's ribs.... please share

Twisted.

I need to check it out smile

Jul 15 08 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

steverphoto

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Sita Mae wrote:

And, they are on par with the prevailing attitudes on crime and punishment of medieval Germany,

Jul 15 08 04:30 pm Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

photoguy42 wrote:

omg I had no idea, I need to buy th book then...crazy

Jul 15 08 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Photographer Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

steverphoto wrote:

And, they are on par with the prevailing attitudes on crime and punishment of medieval Germany,

Exactly.

One story I remember reading as a child and thinking, my god... is Hansel and Gretel.

Lost in the forest, they find a house made of ginger bread and candies, with sugar windows. Unable to resist, they begin to eat it. The inhabitant of the house, an old woman, invites them in and prepares a feast for them. The table is covered with candy, nuts, pancakes and other sweets. The woman, however, is a witch who has built the house to entice children to her, so that she may fatten and eat them. She locks Hansel in a cage, and makes Gretel her servant. While she prepares to cook Hansel, she orders Gretel to fetch her candies and fats to force feed Hansel. Unable to do anything, Gretel weeps bitterly and does as she is told. In the cage, Hansel finds a thin bone from the previous occupant. When the witch tells Hansel to stick out his finger (so she can tell if he is fat enough to eat), he deceives her by sticking out the bone instead. The woman has poor eyesight and is very old, and thus cannot see that Hansel's "finger" is actually a bone. Days pass by, but the witch cannot perceive how fat Hansel is getting. She gets frustrated and decides to eat him anyway, "be he fat or lean." She tells Gretel to climb into an oven to be sure it is ready to bake, but Gretel guesses that the witch intends to bake her, and tricks the witch into climbing into the oven, closing it behind her.

Jul 15 08 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

RichSeattlePhoto

Seattle, Washington, US

Sita Mae wrote:

Aren't most old things replaced by a very distorted version of themselves over time?  I bet 99% of all the stories we have and have told our children have been changed and distorted due to re-writing and translation problems.

Anyone else remember that game in gradeschool where the teacher would write something down, then whisper it in the first students ear, and then each student would pass it on after only saying it once and then at the end the last student would say what they thought it was.  I can't think of a single time that it was anything even CLOSE to the original.

Jul 15 08 04:37 pm Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

Photographer Sarah wrote:

Exactly.

One story I remember reading as a child and thinking, my god... is Hansel and Gretel.

Lost in the forest, they find a house made of ginger bread and candies, with sugar windows. Unable to resist, they begin to eat it. The inhabitant of the house, an old woman, invites them in and prepares a feast for them. The table is covered with candy, nuts, pancakes and other sweets. The woman, however, is a witch who has built the house to entice children to her, so that she may fatten and eat them. She locks Hansel in a cage, and makes Gretel her servant. While she prepares to cook Hansel, she orders Gretel to fetch her candies and fats to force feed Hansel. Unable to do anything, Gretel weeps bitterly and does as she is told. In the cage, Hansel finds a thin bone from the previous occupant. When the witch tells Hansel to stick out his finger (so she can tell if he is fat enough to eat), he deceives her by sticking out the bone instead. The woman has poor eyesight and is very old, and thus cannot see that Hansel's "finger" is actually a bone. Days pass by, but the witch cannot perceive how fat Hansel is getting. She gets frustrated and decides to eat him anyway, "be he fat or lean." She tells Gretel to climb into an oven to be sure it is ready to bake, but Gretel guesses that the witch intends to bake her, and tricks the witch into climbing into the oven, closing it behind her.

if anyody remembers, Disney in like the early 90's did a bunch of small movies about all he fairy tales with actors n stuff.  I remember the Hansel and Gretel one, they did it exactly how the story you just described.  I remember Gretel pushing the witch into the oven and hear her screaming.  Disney was actaully pretty hardcore back in the day.... and now we have The Suite Life....???

Jul 15 08 04:39 pm Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

RichSeattlePhoto wrote:

Aren't most old things replaced by a very distorted version of themselves over time?  I bet 99% of all the stories we have and have told our children have been changed and distorted due to re-writing and translation problems.

Anyone else remember that game in gradeschool where the teacher would write something down, then whisper it in the first students ear, and then each student would pass it on after only saying it once and then at the end the last student would say what they thought it was.  I can't think of a single time that it was anything even CLOSE to the original.

yeah I remember that game, I don't remember the nam either

Jul 15 08 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

VictorGFoto

Sacramento, California, US

photoguy42 wrote:

are you talking about snow white or alice in wonderland.  either way you are wrong.  snow white was written by the brothers grimm. whom were never accused of anything in that nature.  and lewis carroll only photographed kids.  does this mean anyone who shoots anyone under 18 is a perv pedophile?

Jul 15 08 04:41 pm Link

Model

Kam Arose

Berkeley, California, US

Also in Snow White . . . the Prince found Snow White asleep, and had sex with her. She woke up, not upon being kissed, but upon giving birth to twins.

Jul 15 08 04:41 pm Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

Kamarose wrote:
Also in Snow White . . . the Prince found Snow White asleep, and had sex with her. She woke up, not upon being kissed, but upon giving birth to twins.

whoa, I've never heard that!!!! wtf???

Jul 15 08 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

steverphoto

Wilmington, Delaware, US

... She tells Gretel to climb into an oven to be sure it is ready to bake, but Gretel guesses that the witch intends to bake her, and tricks the witch into climbing into the oven, closing it behind her.

Exactly the soothing imagery a young child needs before being left in a dark room waiting to fall asleep. There was another one about a boy who wouldn't stop sucking his thumb, so his parents cut it off. As Dr. Phil might say, "How's that working out for you???"

Jul 15 08 04:42 pm Link

Model

-Nicole-

Madison, Wisconsin, US

I always thought Rock-a-bye Baby was messed up.

Who the hell puts a crib in a tree top neutral

Jul 15 08 04:44 pm Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

Mz Snow wrote:
I always thought Rock-a-bye Baby was messed up.

Who the hell puts a crib in a tree top neutral

I know right?? I started singing that song to my son at night and I think to myself "what the hell am I sayin?"

Jul 15 08 04:46 pm Link

Model

Engel Schrei

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

In Ashputtel, the original Cinderella, the step sisters chop off a toe, then a heel, in an attempt to squeeze into the slipper.

In the Little Mermaid as written by Hans Christen Anderson, when she becomes human, every step she takes is like knives stabbing her feet. The prince chooses the neighboring princess over the mermaid, and her only way to escape dissolving into seafoam the morning after the wedding is to kill both the prince and his new bride on their honeymoon bed. She refuses, dies, and her soul is carried into the air.

Arabian Nights was originally a series of tales told by a queen on a nightly basis to keep her husband from having her put to death. Aladdin, Ali Baba, etc. are parts of that series.

There's endless examples from a variety of cultures and times.

Jul 15 08 04:46 pm Link

Model

ItezeruM

Mission Viejo, California, US

I have the entire collection of Brothers Grimm stories.

...they're pretty hardcore.
:-\

there's one story in particular, can't remember what it's called atm. but the princesses went dancing, and when they came home, they were discovered by a trail of blood....

goddamn. it's a really good story. i have to go find it when i get home

Jul 15 08 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Photographer Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

steverphoto wrote:

Exactly the soothing imagery a young child needs before being left in a dark room waiting to fall asleep. There was another one about a boy who wouldn't stop sucking his thumb, so his parents cut it off. As Dr. Phil might say, "How's that working out for you???"

Somehow i'd picture him saying;

https://i38.tinypic.com/1z5ksxh.jpg

Jul 15 08 04:48 pm Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

Engel Schrei wrote:
Fairytales and folkstories were supposed to teach children to behave.

In Ashputtel, the original Cinderella, the step sisters chop off a toe, then a heel, in an attempt to squeeze into the slipper.

In the Little Mermaid as written by Hans Christen Anderson, when she becomes human, every step she takes is like knives stabbing her feet. The prince chooses the neighboring princess over the mermaid, and her only way to escape dissolving into seafoam the morning after the wedding is to kill both the prince and his new bride on their honeymoon bed. She refuses, dies, and her soul is carried into the air.

Arabian Nights was originally a series of tales told by a queen on a nightly basis to keep her husband from having her put to death. Aladdin, Ali Baba, etc. are parts of that series.

so is there different Cinderellas from Grimm, Anderson and Aseop Fables... I remembr I had a book frm the 50's (it was my grannys) and it was full of Aseop Fables.  Some were actaully creepy, like I remember one where this old lady was living by hrself and there was a chicken in the story, damn I hardly remember it now. Anybody know that one?

Jul 15 08 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

C h a r l e s D

Los Angeles, California, US

I collect old editions of childrens books, mostly Arthur Rackham illustrated, but many others as well.  The first versions of Grimm's Fairy Tales are VERY different from what they are today.  Much more violent and graphic.  There's a reason the term Grimm means what it does.

Model

Tia

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

The original versions of these stories.. were pretty fucked up, and not the kind of thing you read to a small child.. so Disney tried to make them more child-friendly, which messed them up.. basically, they are cool stories, but don't read them to your kid.

Photographer

steverphoto

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Somehow i'd picture him saying;

https://i38.tinypic.com/1z5ksxh.jpg

lol

Jul 15 08 04:50 pm Link

Model

Engel Schrei

Itzel G wrote:
I have the entire collection of Brothers Grimm stories.

...they're pretty hardcore.
:-\

there's one story in particular, can't remember what it's called atm. but the princesses went dancing, and when they came home, they were discovered by a trail of blood....

goddamn. it's a really good story. i have to go find it when i get home

Twelve Dancing Princesses

They dance until their slippers are shredded and feet are bloody every night in a fairy underworld who's doorway is located behind a bed in their room.

They're caught by a solider who volunteered to risk his head on the chopping block to find them. He uses a series of gifts to follow them invisibly on thier nightly jaunt, and offers a goblet, a branch of copper tree, sliver tree and pure gold tree as evidence to the king.

Jul 15 08 04:51 pm Link

Model

Engel Schrei

egyptmachine wrote:

so is there different Cinderellas from Grimm, Anderson and Aseop Fables... I remembr I had a book frm the 50's (it was my grannys) and it was full of Aseop Fables.  Some were actaully creepy, like I remember one where this old lady was living by hrself and there was a chicken in the story, damn I hardly remember it now. Anybody know that one?

Anderson didn't write Cinderella. He wrote Littler Mermaid, Thumbalina, the Ugly Duckling, the Nightengale, and a couple others.

Aesop wrote fables, not fairy tales.

Jul 15 08 04:52 pm Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

Engel Schrei wrote:

They dance until their slippers are shredded and feet are bloody every night in a fairy underworld who's doorway is located behind a bed in their room.

They're caught by a solider who volunteered to risk his head on the chopping block to find them. He uses a series of gifts to follow them invisibly on thier nightly jaunt, and offers a goblet, a branch of copper tree, sliver tree and pure gold tree as evidence to the king.

hmmmmm kinda rings a bell, I remember the gifts.  Why did they go dancing? does it say

Jul 15 08 04:53 pm Link

Model

Gypsy Logan

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

egyptmachine wrote:
yeah I remember that game, I don't remember the nam either

You mean, Whisper down the lane? lol

Jul 15 08 04:53 pm Link

Model

Gypsy Logan

Kamarose wrote:

What?! Never heard that one....

Jul 15 08 04:56 pm Link

Model

Gypsy Logan

Engel Schrei wrote:

Exactly, I remember reading those stories and being so shocked by how different they are now!

Jul 15 08 04:56 pm Link

Model

ItezeruM

Mission Viejo, California, US

Engel Schrei wrote:

ahhhh you rock!!

i remember not feeling well reading this story lol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Army_Surgeons

too bad they only have the synopsis on wikipedia lol

Jul 15 08 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

S

If you think about it, it makes sense that fairy tales, in their older form, would be as gruesome as they are.  They weren't just entertainment for safe little middle class American kids as they fell asleep at night - these were life lessons to be learned...or else.

Jul 15 08 05:00 pm Link

Model

Engel Schrei

Orixx wrote:
The original versions of these stories.. were pretty fucked up, and not the kind of thing you read to a small child.. so Disney tried to make them more child-friendly, which messed them up.. basically, they are cool stories, but don't read them to your kid.

Ultra Magnus wrote:
I collect old editions of childrens books, mostly Arthur Rackham illustrated, but many others as well.  The first versions of Grimm's Fairy Tales are VERY different from what they are today.  Much more violent and graphic.  There's a reason the term Grimm means what it does.

Children's stories were originally intended to frighten children with the harsh truths of life.

Red Riding Hood disobeyed and wandered off the path to grandma's and ends up getting her and her grandmother eaten by a wolf.

Goldilocks breaks into a strangers home and is the victim of the grizzly bears who live there.

Snow white (Schnee Witchen), Cinderella (Ashputtel), Vasilia (russian cinderella) etc. are all good girls who do right no matter what, and in the end, end up happy.

Life was cruel, harsh, and deadly for children who didn't behave. The stories were a reflection of that life.

Today's kids are told lovey dovey versions of these stories, soon followed by violent video games, news castings, papers, movies, etc.

I'll trade a bloody tale or two and a nightmare if it means kids I know and have worked with weren't so eager to write their own bloody stories. At least the fairy tales usually had a happy ending.

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

photoguy42 wrote:

I thought this was unproven?  I know he like to hang out with children, but I thought most of the time they were escorted by an adult.  Certainly when he was photographing them.

Kinda sounds like a Michael Jackson thing.

Photographer

S

Did anyone here ever read The Red Slippers?  It's about excess and frivolity, and the consequences of both are way dire.  It's good stuff.  Gruesome, but good.

Jul 15 08 05:01 pm Link

Model

Engel Schrei

photoguy42 wrote:

Please.

Learn your facts before you start slinging repeatedly dispproved rumors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Carroll

Jul 15 08 05:03 pm Link