Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > true versions of fairy tales

Photographer

RichSeattlePhoto

Seattle, Washington, US

photoguy42 wrote:
I'm sorry, but this statement makes as much sense as my coworker's girlfriend saying that two men fooling around together "aren't gay unless their balls touch".

Dammit, I knew it,  I told him not to do that!  *dies laughing*

Model Sarah wrote:
Noah's ark never happened.

I wonder what the original story was....

https://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/gmc0122l.jpg

This I could have told you,  after all,  no boat ever built, even ever will be built would provide enough space, food, etc for two of every single species of animal in the entire world, not to mention the fact that two is not enough to completely repopulate their populations and collecting two of everything, even if they came on their own would be nearly impossible based on the 30million estimated species of insects alone.

And of course if we were ALL from Noah,  there would be no variety of race, no white,black, asian, etc.  We would all be a single race as it takes thousands of years to make even the vaguest of change in races from a single pool such as that.

Oh well,  great story for kids, like most of the rest of them in that particular book of tales.

Jul 15 08 06:53 pm Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

Oh yeah. I remember seeing the real version of the Little Mermaid on tv. Eric actually ended up with someone else, & the sea witch told Ariel she'd have to cut out his heart in order to keep herself from dying.

Jul 15 08 06:57 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

Engel Schrei wrote:
In Ashputtel, the original Cinderella, the step sisters chop off a toe, then a heel, in an attempt to squeeze into the slipper.

Wasn't there a tree grown from a twig or something Cinderella got from her father and it was the birds in the tree that exposed the sisters 'cheating' by singing blood in the shoe or something like that.

That was the way i heard it when i was in school.

Jul 15 08 07:07 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

Katy LaViolette wrote:
Oh yeah. I remember seeing the real version of the Little Mermaid on tv. Eric actually ended up with someone else, & the sea witch told Ariel she'd have to cut out his heart in order to keep herself from dying.

Yes but she doesn't and she dies.

My mum bought me that version on video when i was a kid, i cried sad

Jul 15 08 07:08 pm Link

Artist/Painter

KK Layton

Denver, Colorado, US

RichSeattlePhoto wrote:
This I could have told you,  after all,  no boat ever built, even ever will be built would provide enough space, food, etc for two of every single species of animal in the entire world, not to mention the fact that two is not enough to completely repopulate their populations and collecting two of everything, even if they came on their own would be nearly impossible based on the 30million estimated species of insects alone.

And of course if we were ALL from Noah,  there would be no variety of race, no white,black, asian, etc.  We would all be a single race as it takes thousands of years to make even the vaguest of change in races from a single pool such as that.

Oh well,  great story for kids, like most of the rest of them in that particular book of tales.

You're all bumming me out here. sad

Haha. I remember when I so adamantly believed in Santa to the point of yelling at my classmates. Then my parents told me the truth I pretended my heart wasn't broken. I love those little lies that adults and the media feed to you when you're young and innocent...

Jul 15 08 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

C h a r l e s D

Los Angeles, California, US

RichSeattlePhoto wrote:
So tell me this,  how do things like Noah's ark and the like fit in.   Anyone ever stop to think that they are a vastly distorted version of the original?

BTW if you wanted to know more about fairy tales and the like here is a great list -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fairy_tales

Example,  we all think Little red riding hood was written by Brothers Grimm,  maybe not - Charles Perrault 1695  (almost 100 years before Brothers Grimm)

None of the Grimms stories are BY the Grimms.  They were collected by the Grimms.

Jul 15 08 07:19 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

I grew up reading the originals of all the grimm fairytales. I remember getting into quite a few arguments about them. It never occurred to me that there were two different versions.

Jul 15 08 07:21 pm Link

Model

Lauren Grace

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Noah's ark never happened.

I wonder what the original story was....

https://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/gmc0122l.jpg

Regardless of what people believe whether christian or athiest... the bible is a widely known by many scholors as a historical document, with many true facts. Archeologists and historians have long used it as a reference for a great deal of research... That being said... there are those they believe they have found the ark of Noah...

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/p … 823-1.html

Sightings of a ship on top of Mt Ararat (where the bible supposes the ark landed) started happening around the time of WWII when military planed flew overhead. In the 90s Turkey banned people from climbing the mountain and now high tech space satellites are hoping to catch a glimpse at the "ship on a mountain"

I learned a lot about this in my "The Bible as a Historical Document" class in college.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Searches_for_Noah's_Ark

Jul 15 08 07:26 pm Link

Model

Lauren Grace

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Let's not forget about political nursery rhymes! These were some of my favorites growing up!

"Ring Around the Rosy" is about the bubonic plague

"Mary Mary Quite Contrary" is about Bloody Queen Mary and her killing of the protestants...

Here's some more...

http://www.rhymes.org.uk/

Jul 15 08 07:28 pm Link

Model

Engel Schrei

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

JadeDRed wrote:

Wasn't there a tree grown from a twig or something Cinderella got from her father and it was the birds in the tree that exposed the sisters 'cheating' by singing blood in the shoe or something like that.

That was the way i heard it when i was in school.

http://www.paralumun.com/grimmash.htm

Jul 15 08 07:48 pm Link

Model

Engel Schrei

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

JadeDRed wrote:

Yes but she doesn't and she dies.

My mum bought me that version on video when i was a kid, i cried sad

That's the original version as written by Hans Christen Anderson.

Jul 15 08 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

GlassHouse Photography

New York, New York, US

Mz Snow wrote:
I always thought Rock-a-bye Baby was messed up.

Who the hell puts a crib in a tree top neutral

All little diddies are olike that- like ring around the rosy was in reference to in olden times, when petals would be circles around a grave during the black plague to cover the smell. but people who hear it now, dont listen and just fiollows the catchy tune.  its pretty creepy.

Jul 15 08 09:15 pm Link

Model

Cwen

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Alex N wrote:

I probably am not the norm but that was one of my favoites as a young child.

I read that in 4th grade! "Pinch my cheeks, sister." Loved it, too. smile

My parents never told me fairy tales, but my grandmother had a FAT Hans Christian Andersen book she let me read. That's how I knew the original story of the Little Mermaid. And I always knew there was no Santa.

Jul 15 08 09:35 pm Link