Forums > General Industry > Should Models.....

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

learn how to photoshop thier own pics?....Can that be an advantage or a disater waiting to happen?

I try to do my own photoshoping if i have the right program...Adobe, Roxio...

What do you guys think?

Feb 23 06 07:14 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

I would love to learn, I lack the program.
There are plenty of photographers that give you unedited images.
The skill comes in handy.

Feb 23 06 07:16 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

There are some photographers who would probably flip out if you PSed their images without consent.

But whenever that's not the case, I guess learning to Photoshop could be pretty useful.

I used to edit pictures on Microsoft paint when I was 14... it was a bitch to do everything pixel by pixel and I was so happy when I discovered photoshop. It really makes life easy.

Feb 23 06 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Bluemoon Photography

Cranston, Rhode Island, US

If she is gonna do anything more with it than put it in a frame on her mantle, then NO.

If I take the picture, I own the picture. The model release clearly states that.

Granted, that issue isn't quite as black and white as I just implied, but.... you get the point.

Feb 23 06 07:23 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

ok ok photgrapher man...lol..calm down....lol...no i mean if a model  wanted to edit it to put in on like say MM....or if she owns a website portfolio...and she wanted to edit it for that purpose...shouldnt be  n e thing wrong with that?

Feb 23 06 07:28 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

CristinaLex wrote:
ok ok photgrapher man...lol..calm down....lol...no i mean if a model  wanted to edit it to put in on like say MM....or if she owns a website portfolio...and she wanted to edit it for that purpose...shouldnt be  n e thing wrong with that?

this post was the end of this thread being useful.

Feb 23 06 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Bluemoon Photography

Oh, no, I know what you mean, sorry to sound so gruff. I'm just saying that most photographers (including me) would freak out if you touched anything in the photo, for any purpose. I do think some models should and do know PS, because it's a great program, and it would be nice if every model understood PS doesn't create photography skills. Plus, some models might like to take their own shots.

I'm happy!

Feb 23 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Bluemoon Photography

Nemi wrote:

this post was the end of this thread being useful.

Why?

Feb 23 06 07:38 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

i play around with photo shot ...the lighting and things but besides adobe what other photoshop program is avaible that can be downloaded if possible... thats better than adobe

Feb 23 06 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Bluemoon Photography

Better than photoshop? Don't expect too many aswers to that one.

Feb 23 06 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

CristinaLex wrote:

If a model or anyone else edits a photograph without the permission of the photographer, then it's ILLEGAL!  Why is that so fucking hard to understand already???

Feb 23 06 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

CristinaLex wrote:
learn how to photoshop thier own pics?....Can that be an advantage or a disater waiting to happen?

I try to do my own photoshoping if i have the right program...Adobe, Roxio...

What do you guys think?

Well, with a lot of photographerss apparently giving models CDs of totally unedited images, I suppose it's becoming necessary.

Feb 23 06 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thre are legal issues regarding copyright and intellectual property that I think ONCE AGAIN aspiring models need to READ about LOL

Feb 23 06 08:02 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

I think it's good to know, but also should be used with extreme discretion lest a model catch a lawsuit from a pissed photographer! lol

Feb 23 06 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Cristina my lovely:

In this business there is authorship and ownership.

The photograher is always the author. Depending on the contract the photographer or the client will 'own' an image.

Now you can't edit a photo you did not author or do not own.
You only chance of owning a photo is if you PAY the photographer and that it is clearly stated in the contract.
Now, I do this full time! not on weekends so I am acutely aware of these issues because my money is affected! this I know you understand!
You have NO chance in hell with TFP of ownership.
This might be difficult , but your image does NOT belong to you unless clearly stated in a contract and that copyright is separately held.

I do not take pics because I am bored or trying to pick up models. I have a market in mind. Sometimes I do photos to show a potential client that I can  do that style.
Models are unaware of costs that photographers incur; some of us are more involved than a GWC. Take a look on the net at the cost of one Canon prime lens!

I am sure that you would not want someone changing a painting you did  or a book that you have written! I would not want anyone including you changing a photo that I WILL do of Cristina!

No you cant change our images! even if you are cute!

Feb 23 06 08:08 pm Link

Model

Sardave

Abilene, Texas, US

I took my avatar myself, and I also photoshopped it myself(didn't touch the eyes, I swear...they change color) using Roxio and MSpaint(shut up).  I think it's a good program to be familiar with, but of course I'm careful to photoshop my own images or images that I've been given specific permission to edit.  Like they said, I don't own the images another photog takes, I'm just using them. That's just common sense if you ask me.

Sara

Feb 23 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

Go ahead and try it!! I wouldn't care! gosh it's 2006 and everyone has a computer powerful enough to play around with an image, and if you can figure it out, I say more power to you!

Go ahaed and download the tryout off Adobe CS2 at www.adobe.com, then you can get a serial from them if you want to buy it.

Feb 23 06 08:13 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

but if she is given a cd full of photos that are not edited and doesnt have the money to pay to get them edited...why is that a crime..especially if he is willing to charge her for editing them...i am just saying here soo please dont attack but...if photographers dont want their pics edited then dont charge a model for trying to get them edited or shell think bout doing it herself...what the point of having a tfpcd of 200 pics and non cannot be edite...?...can i get some honest clean feedback please

Feb 23 06 08:14 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

Doug Lester wrote:

Well, with a lot of photographerss apparently giving models CDs of totally unedited images, I suppose it's becoming necessary.

I think this is a good point smile I've had to edit images because of this. But my extent of editting is the heal brush and cropping smile

Feb 23 06 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

i think models should learn to use photoshop, yes, eventhough, i don't think it woudl be that effective..since when it's about the self, sometimes it could be taken to the extreme and go into some really bad situations with fackness.. and yes, i would flip if someone touched one of my pictures without my concent

Feb 23 06 08:17 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Michael Raveney wrote:
Go ahead and try it!! I wouldn't care! gosh it's 2006 and everyone has a computer powerful enough to play around with an image, and if you can figure it out, I say more power to you!

Go ahaed and download the tryout off Adobe CS2 at www.adobe.com, then you can get a serial from them if you want to buy it.

I mean thats all i am saying ...no offense to the talented photgs on this site but...sooner or later models will get real computer literate and do thier own editing...i just dont understand that if yo give a tfp cd she owns th images as well..so she can play with them and do what not..now selling them is a different thread....but editing shouldnt be a problem..it just sounds like a way for those photogs to make more money by charging to edit them...you do a tfp and they know ur gonna need them edited soo theyll have to pay ...it doesnt sound right ...i know it takes time...but how does it take money when you already have the programs for it ?

Feb 23 06 08:18 pm Link

Model

Praxis

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Sardave wrote:
I took my avatar myself, and I also photoshopped it myself(didn't touch the eyes, I swear...they change color) using Roxio and MSpaint(shut up).  I think it's a good program to be familiar with, but of course I'm careful to photoshop my own images or images that I've been given specific permission to edit.  Like they said, I don't own the images another photog takes, I'm just using them. That's just common sense if you ask me.

Sara

Common sense?  On this thread?  neutral

....I'll get my coat.

Feb 23 06 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Minielly

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I think models would do well to learn the basics in PS, so that they can treat their images with what is needed to best display themselves. This should include the ability to resize and deal with color space for web - two of the worst offenders for rendering images slow or miserable to look at online.

Technically it is illegal to edit images without consent, but cropping or resizing also fall under that broad label so you gotta be careful what is expected from both sides of the agreement. Then again, posting proof images with a watermark is also illegal, and surprisingly often done and allowed by the site - so there is alot of education that is lacking on a few levels ;-)

For those that do want to edit their images, I can recommend a set of PS Action tools that get used a lot by models for just that reason (lol)...

;-)

Cheers,

Craig

Feb 23 06 08:20 pm Link

Model

Praxis

CristinaLex wrote:
...what the point of having a tfpcd of 200 pics and non cannot be edite...?

There isn't one.

Feb 23 06 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

-snarls and growls like an unfed pitbull on a shoe string leash while standing in front of his image files-

Feb 23 06 08:23 pm Link

Model

Praxis

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
-snarls like an unfed pitbull on a shoe string leash while standing over his image files-

LMAO

Feb 23 06 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

CristinaLex wrote:

I mean thats all i am saying ...no offense to the talented photgs on this site but...sooner or later models will get real computer literate and do thier own editing...i just dont understand that if yo give a tfp cd she owns th images as well..so she can play with them and do what not..now selling them is a different thread....but editing shouldnt be a problem..it just sounds like a way for those photogs to make more money by charging to edit them...you do a tfp and they know ur gonna need them edited soo theyll have to pay ...it doesnt sound right ...i know it takes time...but how does it take money when you already have the programs for it ?

yes and yes, and yes again!

Model

CristinaLex

Praxis wrote:

There isn't one.

thats what it seems to me ..i dont wanna have 200 images that i can do nothing but look at ???? pointless...and ....if i wanna put them on mm unedited...thats not appealing to  me at all..to some maybe but not to me...

Photographer

Bluemoon Photography

CristinaLex wrote:
but if she is given a cd full of photos that are not edited and doesnt have the money to pay to get them edited...why is that a crime..especially if he is willing to charge her for editing them...i am just saying here soo please dont attack but...if photographers dont want their pics edited then dont charge a model for trying to get them edited or shell think bout doing it herself...what the point of having a tfpcd of 200 pics and non cannot be edite...?...can i get some honest clean feedback please

I'm sorry but you really don't get it. The model does not own the picture, just because she is in it. If I take a car that does not belong to me, I am STEALING!!!

So the short answer to "what is wrong with that?" is - IT IS ILLEGAL!!!!! 
And the photographer can F**k you if they so choose.

Feb 23 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

I will say this. Models SHOULD learn photoshop.Not to edit the photographs they get from photographers(unless they have permission) but to be able to recognize GOOD editing versus BAD so when they get them they can say, ew thats a bad edit, or wow thats a good job. Just like a photographer should learn what a good makeup job and a bad makeup job looks like.

Feb 23 06 08:27 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

you shouldnt have to get permission from a photographer to edit your pics to accomadate you feel for your work you put into the pics as well...cuz what if he says no you can do tht but if you wanna let me ddo it heres the charge $$$$$.......not disrespecting at all to the photographers who work hard on what they do

Feb 23 06 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Bluemoon Photography wrote:

I'm sorry but you really don't get it. The model does not own the picture, just because she is in it. If I take a car that does not belong to me, I am STEALING!!!

Christina this is a good point and brings me to ask....... may I borrow your car? I wanna change the color.

Feb 23 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

CristinaLex wrote:

thats what it seems to me ..i dont wanna have 200 images that i can do nothing but look at ???? pointless...and ....if i wanna put them on mm unedited...thats not appealing to  me at all..to some maybe but not to me...

You still need to read what you sign. I know that my release explicitly prohibits alterations of my images. The main reason I give what I consider a 'proof' CD is so that my models can choose which ones they'd like full edits for.

Note that you can take any image you want and edit it to your heart's content. But if you post it, you are looking for trouble, unless you get consent from the original owner.

Feb 23 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

CristinaLex wrote:
you shouldnt have to get permission from a photographer to edit your pics

That`s just it. They are not yours. Read up on your copyright law facts.Even if you pay for them they are not really yours. You paid for the photographers time, editing, developing,etc. but not the rights to the images unless you and the photographer agreed to that in writing. In most cases the photographer would charge an additional fee to transfer the rights from him/her to you and in most cases we make it a big fee.

Feb 23 06 08:32 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Bluemoon Photography wrote:

you are very incompetent...hope that is spelled right...yes the photographer has the rights to the images but without the model the image would nt be PRODUCED.....and if you steal a car then yea that is stealing....but if you and a friend was building a car from scratch and both put just as much time into it then you give me the car...i can do whatever i want to it..change the color, make it big, put some rims on it...only thing we might agree on is that if the car is sold you will get some of the profits because it was something you helped produce too....but like i said payment for sold prints is a different thread...

now if you going to come in here and talk bout fucking models over ....please stop writing...

Feb 23 06 08:32 pm Link

Model

Praxis

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I will say this. Models SHOULD learn photoshop.Not to edit the photographs they get from photographers(unless they have permission) but to be able to recognize GOOD editing versus BAD so when they get them they can say, ew thats a bad edit, or wow thats a good job. Just like a photographer should learn what a good makeup job and a bad makeup job looks like.

Amen to that.

Feb 23 06 08:33 pm Link

Model

Alli B

Syracuse, New York, US

like many other threads about this issue, i know photoshop very well...i am a graphic designer....then again i am a photographer too....but when it comes to editing pics from other shoots ive had with photographers....they clearly state dont edit, because they have their own style to their editing, mostly everyone does....if they give me unedited raws or whatever, i usually get their permission...and everyone's happy...but each is to everyones own i guess...

Model

Sardave

Abilene, Texas, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Ditto on that.  Well said. smile

Photographer

Bluemoon Photography

You can beat this one all day witha stick, but your still wrong.  It doesn't matter if you can't afford editing or not. if you shoot a TFP and you get unedited pics,and you want to do ANYTHING with them, PAY THE PHOTOGRAPHER.  He owns the image not you, and the is alot of harm in it. look up the word COPYRIGHT.

Feb 23 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

So- I used to be really against this as I used to only give out images that I have edited.  As I got better- my images needed less and less photoshop and now I dont really care if they photoshop the images AS LONG AS they dont ask me to.  Like- if you want to save me some time- go for it.  If you want to redo what I have already done for you- thats lame.

Feb 23 06 08:35 pm Link