Forums > General Industry > Should Models.....

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

DeBoer Photography wrote:
Doesn't bother me though.  I do what I do and my clients are happy.

Regards,

Denoy

live fast die young!

Feb 23 06 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

KARLOS MATTHEWS wrote:

live fast die young!

Nice save on a double post! tongue

Feb 24 06 12:04 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

santagati wrote:
Finally, a free program that does everything photoshop does is called GIMP: Gnu Image Manipulation Program.  you can find it at http://www.gimp.org/. I don't really use it because I am very comfortable with photoshop, but if you don't have a lot of dough, it can be a good tool to have in stock for absolutely nothing. zip. zero. zilch.

y'all can thank me later.

I used that before.  It works pretty well.  Couldn't figure out how to save in it though, but it probably was the version I downloaded.

Feb 24 06 01:25 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Yes they should learn smile

Feb 24 06 01:49 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

santagati wrote:
Finally, a free program that does everything photoshop does is called GIMP: Gnu Image Manipulation Program.  you can find it at http://www.gimp.org/. I don't really use it because I am very comfortable with photoshop, but if you don't have a lot of dough, it can be a good tool to have in stock for absolutely nothing. zip. zero. zilch.

Just to clarify, GIMP does NOT do everything that Photoshop does.  No where close, but given that most people actually don't use more than 10% of Photoshop, GIMP would indeed do everything Photoshop does for them.  Photoshop Element isn't half bad either, and it has all the common tools.  There is also Paint.net from WSU that is also free and has a nicer interface than GIMP.  Paint Shop Pro is somewhere in between PS Element and PS CS, nice fast software.

For the OP, in order to PROPERLY do Photoshop, you will need:
1) Calibration equipment to calibrate your monitor (easily costs more than PS itself)
2) Take a lot of training
3) Have RawConversion software
4) Understand color management
5) Understand many other things...

And again, like Alan said, it is illegal unless you have consent.  Go to the US Copyright Office's website and read the Copyright Basics.  I think it should be a mandatory reading for all new models.

Feb 24 06 02:11 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

CristinaLex wrote:
learn how to photoshop thier own pics?....Can that be an advantage or a disater waiting to happen?

I try to do my own photoshoping if i have the right program...Adobe, Roxio...

What do you guys think?

Knowledge is bad! Never expand your horizons!

You need permission fromt he copyright holder to edit the photos, but I can't see how knowing how is a bad thing.

Feb 24 06 02:35 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Bluemoon Photography wrote:
Hamza's got a good point. Who's giving you unedited images, anyway? What an ass.

There are more asses than not out there these days.

Feb 24 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Alan summarized it well: learning to edit is a good idea, but editing without permission is a bad idea--it can be a federal offense, in fact.

William Coleman wrote:
Caveat:  Some models tend over-edit, remove every facial line, every dark circle, etc., until they look pretty but unreal.

Caveat: some professional retouchers 'over-edit', and so do some professional photographers. It depends on their skill level and their normal working goals more than anything else.

In my experience, portrait retouching is usually much easier than portfolio/fashion/commercial retouching: the requirements are different.  Very few portrait photographers or clients demand that the images look absolutely, 100% unedited to a highly trained eye,  while most competent bookers and agents will spot a poor job as soon as they see the image and reject it out-of-hand.

Feb 24 06 03:01 am Link

Photographer

GOTHIC HANGMAN STUDIOS

New York, New York, US

CristinaLex wrote:
learn how to photoshop thier own pics?....Can that be an advantage or a disater waiting to happen?

What do you guys think?

I have so many years of photoshop under my belt and would not relish the idea of my model retouching my images,in most cases it would be a disaster! That not to say that some models can't develop the skills and if they do power to them,just keep your paws off my images!

Feb 24 06 03:10 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Hamza wrote:

If a model or anyone else edits a photograph without the permission of the photographer, then it's ILLEGAL!  Why is that so fucking hard to understand already???

Ever thought about trying decaf?

Feb 24 06 08:36 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

CristinaLex wrote:

What do you guys think?

I don't know if they "should," but it's a nice skill to have.

SOMETIMES you'll get your images unedited, and you can practice on them.

Most photographers (myself included) are very picky about models editing their pictures. If a model does a crappy job of it, and puts it on the web, then the photographer will catch the most hell, and would get a reputation for putting out shoddy work. That's the LAST thing a photographer want, is that type of reputation.

It all depends on the photographer, though. Some don't have the time to edit, and don't mind, and others are just the opposite.

Feb 24 06 08:42 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I could've just used Alan's quote and been through with this thread. lol

Is it a full moon this week? Some of you are pretty brutal.

Feb 24 06 09:02 am Link

Model

Praxis

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

JM Dean wrote:
Shit to Fu*%ing Hell. I was going to put in my 2 cents but guess not now smile

LOL  wink  *zips verbal change purse shut*

Feb 24 06 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

CristinaLex wrote:
learn how to photoshop thier own pics?....

Sure, provided that they are your pics and not taken and COPYRIGHTED by another photographer.

Take as many images as you want of whatever you want..... buy $20,000 of camera gear and shoot all day long.  Then, feel free to edit YOUR pics as much as you would like (Don't forget to buy all the computer gear too -- fast PC, tablet, high end monitor, color profiler, printers, backup drives, etc ---- for another $8k).  Have fun.... learn ......

But, if you are talking about editing another photographer's images.....

uhm, no...... it is NOT ok.

Feb 24 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Wayne Higgins

CristinaLex wrote:
.i just dont understand that if yo give a tfp cd she owns th images as well..so she can play with them and do what not..now selling them is a different thread....but editing shouldnt be a problem..it just sounds like a way for those photogs to make more money by charging to edit them...you do a tfp and they know ur gonna need them edited soo theyll have to pay ...it doesnt sound right ...i know it takes time...but how does it take money when you already have the programs for it ?

Cristina,
  Unless the photographer signed over his or her copyright you DO NOT own the images the photographer does TFP or not. As soon as the shutter is snapped copyright belongs to the photographer, standard copyright law. I can't understand why a photographer would give you unedited images in the first place but this doesn't change the laws. Editing the images is only setting yourself up for problems without consent from the photog in writing.

Feb 24 06 07:22 pm Link