Forums > General Industry > Beauty Shot as a Headshot ? Yes, No, Why.

Model

Model Klau Dia

Los Gatos, California, US

So I have several headshots from glamourous studio to  simple outdoor natural lighting.

A casting agent asked me today to bring a headshot to the set next week of a film I will have a small role in for them to keep on file.

My former headshot I used to submit was a simple black backdrop, no smile, bright eyed look with a black top as I am looking for more challenging spots as opposed to comical dumb blonde ones.

Should I
(a) Continue to mimic this look and update it by taking a new one in the same style...
OR
(b) Simply use a Beauty Shot? Is that even appropriate.

Also, now the accept both color and black & white.
What do any of you model/actors suggest?

Im looking for yout two cents because I respect your opinions.
Thanks!

Feb 23 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

Beauty shot has makeup, most time lots of it...
Headshot is sort of natural makeup...for the most part so they can see what you look like before you get made up for part... But some clean makeup is good to have...

Feb 23 06 10:53 pm Link

Model

Model Klau Dia

John Pringle wrote:
Beauty shot has makeup, most time lots of it...
Headshot is sort of natural makeup...

Oh Im sorry I should have been more descriptive.

The beauty shot in question would be a natural look with gold shimmer tones and white highlights, very nude look glamourized slightly by shimmer and glowing light.
It would be completely simple. No jewelry, no intense make-up, styling etc.

Is that boring?

Feb 23 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

.: Klaudia :. wrote:
The beauty shot in question would be a natural look with gold shimmer tones and white highlights, very nude look glamourized slightly by shimmer and glowing light.
It would be completely simple. No jewelry, no intense make-up, styling etc.

Is that boring?

I think that look is exciting, and I love it!

But it's terrible for an acting headshot.

Feb 23 06 11:02 pm Link

Model

Model Klau Dia

Brian Diaz wrote:
I think that look is exciting, and I love it!

But it's terrible for an acting headshot.

What would you suggest ?
Please, help me make a perfect one.
smile

I dont want to come off as a bubbly dumb blonde like the one on my ezed http://klaudia.us/images/compcard2%5B2%5D.5.jpg or like my acting headshot which is no longer up and available.

Feb 23 06 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Check out what headshots should look like:

http://www.reproductions.com/LA/LA_Directory_Index.html

Your headshot should look like you on your best day.  And that's how you should look when you walk into an audition.  If you don't look like your headshot, that's often a strike against you, and with the kind of competition you're going up against, one strike is too many.

Feb 23 06 11:06 pm Link

Model

Model Klau Dia

Brian Diaz wrote:
Check out what headshots should look like:

http://www.reproductions.com/LA/LA_Directory_Index.html

Your headshot should look like you on your best day.  And that's how you should look when you walk into an audition.  If you don't look like your headshot, that's often a strike against you, and with the kind of competition you're going up against, one strike is too many.

That's good advice.
The one I have used lately is not a good representation any longer as I have different objectives.
The slightest thing can make it or break it.
Thank You for your honesty.

Feb 23 06 11:09 pm Link

Model

Kiai

Brooklyn, New York, US

If a headshot is required for a role you already have, they just need a shot that looks like you. You should be looking straight at the camera without too much tilt in your head. They will use your photo as a reference.

The one of you looking over your shoulder would work fine.

As for headshots for advertising yourself, casting directors remember the ones with eyes that say something, that show your confidence and personality.

best wishes,
-kiai

Feb 23 06 11:13 pm Link

Model

Model Klau Dia

Kiai wrote:
If a headshot is required for a role you already have, they just need a shot that looks like you. You should be looking straight at the camera without too much tilt in your head. They will use your photo as a reference.

-kiai

Thats what I though as well although often ones I see are 3/4 face shots. Hmmm.
"Headshot" seems to be such a broad term while it shouldn't be.
I need a Peeeeeerrrrfect one smile

HEADSHOT
head·shot     P   Pronunciation Key  (hdsht)
n.
A photograph of the head

Feb 23 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

How old is this photo?  And does it look like you?  wink

https://klaudia.us/images/Galleries/softlite/softlite3.jpg

Feb 23 06 11:17 pm Link

Model

Model Klau Dia

It's over a year old and my make-up is really sharp and contrasting. My face is also really pale and I don't think the lighting is desirable. I also cant deside if I am serious, sultry, or almost smiling and that bothers me. I'm a perfectionist.
(edit - it also makes me look older which is what I wanted at the time.)
It's almost but not quite.

Feb 23 06 11:22 pm Link

Model

Kiai

Brooklyn, New York, US

Some casting directors prefer 3/4 shots because it shows a person's body type. A lot of times they get thrown off because the actor shows up and her body wasn't what they expected. I think that a headshot should be at least from mid-chest, but not more than from the top rib. Then, personality starts to get harder to see. The body becomes a distraction.

Feb 23 06 11:28 pm Link

Model

Kiai

Brooklyn, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

did you type all that stuff to get that picture on there? "[img..."

Feb 23 06 11:30 pm Link

Model

Kiai

Brooklyn, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Let's paste her face all over the page!!!

Feb 23 06 11:31 pm Link

Model

Kiai

Brooklyn, New York, US

I would recommend my headshot photographer, but she's in NYC. She's also an actress so she knows what needs to come out of you while she shoots.

Feb 23 06 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

It's over a year old and my make-up is really sharp and contrasting. My face is also really pale and I don't think the lighting is desirable. I also cant deside if I am serious, sultry, or almost smiling and that bothers me. I'm a perfectionist.
(edit - it also makes me look older which is what I wanted at the time.)
It's almost but not quite.

I agree--and you should be a perfectionist about this!  (Although, I think the light is great.)  However, in a pinch, this is better than the one on your comp card.

I actually like that you aren't expressing a specific emotion, but we can see that there's a lot going on behind your eyes.  There's mystery, and I want to know more about you.

And Kiai's right about why shots with more body showing are useful.  It can be frustrating...

Feb 23 06 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Kiai wrote:
I would recommend my headshot photographer, but she's in NYC. She's also an actress so she knows what needs to come out of you while she shoots.

I'd recommend a headshot photographer, but I'm in NYC.  tongue

Feb 23 06 11:37 pm Link

Model

Model Klau Dia

Thanks Kaia, I wish I was going to NYC soon, though it's not in my current plans.
What you are describing is precisely what I was thinking.
Do you recommend a smile or not?
What about color vs classic b/w?

+
Do you think you could maybe post my expired overexposed headshot a couple more times? How about a dozen? smile

Feb 23 06 11:40 pm Link

Model

Model Klau Dia

Thanks Brian, you always have good advice and comments.

I couldnt decide if that "look" works for me or against me. I would suggest lighting that glows in the same way but slighting different as it doesnt show much tonal range, cheekbones, jawline, and almost makes my nose look like I've been boxing.
I am my harshest critic but I think, as Martha would say, "that is a good thing."

Feb 23 06 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

when comes to resume shots, variety is best espicially with acting. Use a few different facial expression on head shots and give them at least one or two with your figure.
If you already have the role and they want something on file, that mean they want something they can look at for the next time they cast.

Martin IV

www.martincoatesiv.com

Feb 23 06 11:49 pm Link

Model

Kiai

Brooklyn, New York, US

Thanks Kaia, I wish I was going to NYC soon, though it's not in my current plans.
What you are describing is precisely what I was thinking.
Do you recommend a smile or not?
What about color vs classic b/w?

+
Do you think you could maybe post my expired overexposed headshot a couple more times? How about a dozen? smile

You should try some with smiles, some without and when you look at the proofs, decide which one works best. I used to have smiles in my headshots and I got roles for boring, commercial stuff. Then i did my last shot and I got great roles for my reel.  oooh, can i get pic in here?....
https://kiai.us/_images/Kiai.jpg

well, it's more like a half-smile i suppose.

Feb 23 06 11:59 pm Link

Model

Kiai

Brooklyn, New York, US

it worked! i'm computer genius! ...not.

Feb 24 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

These days, especially in CA, you're probably going to want something in color.  You really should have a couple headshots for different jobs.  If you're up for a toothpaste commercial, show up with your smiling headshots.  If the part is an intern in a law office, bust out the serious look. 

One of the most important questions I ask at the beginning of every headshot shoot is, "What kinds of roles do you want?"  Then we create looks and expressions that appear to have come out of those roles, not the other way around.

Feb 24 06 12:00 am Link

Model

Kiai

Brooklyn, New York, US

+

ok, one more...

Feb 24 06 12:04 am Link

Model

Model Klau Dia

Very Nice Kiai!
You and I are on the same page (and I'm not talking literally... although we are that too)

Feb 24 06 12:04 am Link

Model

Model Klau Dia

Kiai wrote:
ok, one more...

Gahhh! No More!

Feb 24 06 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Imagery by joeycee

Los Angeles, California, US

craigslist is crawling with a lot of photographers who do actors' headshots.  some are practically giving them away.  just a thought.

Feb 24 06 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Photography by Joey wrote:
craigslist is crawling with a lot of photographers who do actors' headshots.  some are practically giving them away.  just a thought.

Very true.  And you get what you pay for.  sad

Feb 24 06 12:11 am Link

Model

Kiai

Brooklyn, New York, US

hmmm... careful with that. i'd say check out Reproductions. They do advertising for photographers. i like photographers whose page of photos shows a lot of different personalities, not just a lot of heads.

Feb 24 06 12:11 am Link

Model

Model Klau Dia

It's not that I don't have the resource I just can't decide how to perfect the look I need.
Thank You for the heads up. You never know, maybe the right photographer is under my nose and I havnt seen him/her yet. I will browse the site in case. smile

Feb 24 06 12:12 am Link

Model

Kiai

Brooklyn, New York, US

I like this photographer's headshots: http://www.reproductions.com/LA/Husmann.html
They all have the necessary elements that casting directors look for, yet they all show the person.

Feb 24 06 12:16 am Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Klaudia,

Have you checked out this site:

http://www.headshot-photography.com/index.htm

Best wishes.  Be sure to let us know how it goes.

- Denoy

Feb 24 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Yes,  what is with people who show booty shots for headshots.
Last time I checked Ass crack was not a type of modeling.

enough said.

Feb 24 06 12:20 am Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

BTW, I can't resist...

Beautiful. smile

Feb 24 06 12:21 am Link

Model

Kiai

Brooklyn, New York, US

DeBoer Photography wrote:
Klaudia,

- Denoy

Wow. Great photos. Bet he's expensive.

Feb 24 06 12:29 am Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Kiai wrote:

Wow. Great photos. Bet he's expensive.

Well...you get what you pay for. smile

Feb 24 06 01:11 am Link

Photographer

Imagery by joeycee

Los Angeles, California, US

DeBoer Photography wrote:
Klaudia,

- Denoy

very impressive work!  this guy is really good!

Feb 24 06 01:13 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Agencies do not like a lot of make up.  A beauty shot doesn't necessarily mean a lot of make up. 

Beauty shot - Clean natural make up......try different expressions, face angles, shoulder positions......I prefer no hands in the main frame since it distracts from the face.  You need a good amount of these in your book as a model.

Head shot - Clean natural make up.  More relaxed care free expressions.  Smiling or grinning.  This is for actors as well as commercial models.

Feb 24 06 01:24 am Link

Model

Model Klau Dia

Diana Moffitt wrote:
Agencies do not like a lot of make up.  A beauty shot doesn't necessarily mean a lot of make up. 

Beauty shot - Clean natural make up......try different expressions, face angles, shoulder positions......I prefer no hands in the main frame since it distracts from the face.  You need a good amount of these in your book as a model.

Head shot - Clean natural make up.  More relaxed care free expressions.  Smiling or grinning.  This is for actors as well as commercial models.

I do have a lot of various headshots although I am looking for the "perfect" headshot to represent the current me and my objectives. The look you are describing, clean natural make-up, is precisely what I am going for.

Is it wise to bridge a beauty and a head shot?
What keeps them from being one and the same other than a headshot showing more personality/ identity and the beauty shots purpose to show more physical feature details.

Feb 24 06 01:31 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Huge difference. 

Beauty focuses on your jawline, eyes, ears, hair, etc etc.  That's why I don't like beauty shots with your hands in the main frame because it distracts from the focal point.  Which is your beautiful face! ( I know I have one in my port on here but it doesn't seem to be good enough for my real model book but my real model book is boring and that's what the clients like....''boring''.....so they see the real you )

Headshot is mainly for actors because it shows personality.

You were right on the money!

Don't merge the two.  Your booker will laugh.  Wait they tend to laugh at every picture.  Nevermind!  smile

Feb 24 06 01:47 am Link