Forums > General Industry > How do you become a photographer for "Playboy"?

Photographer

W A L K E R

Los Angeles, California, US

How do you become a photographer for "Playboy"?I have look on the internet unsuccessfully

Can anyone tell the process?

Aug 12 08 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't know, but I do know this will be a long and colourful thread.

Aug 12 08 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

FLO Kohl

London, England, United Kingdom

It's super easy, just take pics that they would like to print, meet the right people, and you're in ;-)

Aug 12 08 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Andy Draper

San Antonio, Texas, US

I think someone has to die to open a spot there. Would you leave that job?

Aug 12 08 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Scott A Miller photo

Orlando, Florida, US

Andy Draper wrote:

No doubt!!!

That or just go knock on Hef's door and ask

Aug 12 08 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

RussellGuisePhotography

Franklinville, New Jersey, US

Andy Draper wrote:

lol.

even if they paid minimum wage....they'd never be short on photogs lol

Aug 12 08 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Have sex with Hef?

Aug 12 08 10:42 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

I love this place.

Aug 12 08 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MelissaLynnette LaDiva wrote:
I love this place.

Yesh.

Aug 12 08 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Dobias Fine Art Photo

Haddon Heights, New Jersey, US

They use photographers?  When did that happen?  I thought they only hired airbrushing experts.

Aug 12 08 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Danger Ninja

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dobias Fine Art Photo wrote:
They use photographers?  When did that happen?  I thought they only hired airbrushing experts.

That joke is about...at least 10 years old now.

Anyway, you become a photographer by knowing people, getting an in and auditioning.

Aug 12 08 10:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

makeupguy dot com

Decatur, Georgia, US

Or just do what most people do..

put out an ad saying.. "I'm going to shoot some test photos for Playboy".. or just as common " I'm shooting these for Playboy.".. and just dont' tell them the particulars of your association.

It's not honest.. exactly.. but it will get naked girls in front of your camera!

Aug 12 08 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Leroy Dickson

Flint, Michigan, US

Most likely someone has to die... and you have to know someone...

Might get a shot if you're willing to take a shit job with Playboy (are there really any shit jobs with playboy?)...  or sleep with Hef.

Aug 12 08 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Playboy is really no different than any other major magazine.

1. Become familiar with the various editors and their departments, prepare a submission on par or beyond current content, send it in and don't expect it back*.

2.  Do not waste time with queries afterwards. No response is a response.

bt

(* in a perfect world, including a return mailer would elicit a return of your goods. but then, that defeats the purpose of submitting in the first place.)

Aug 12 08 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Frame O Mind

Albany, Georgia, US

Almost all their images are identical, I wonder if they editors have the photogs sit down and say this is what we want.

Aug 12 08 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Danger Ninja

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Frame O Mind wrote:
Almost all their images are identical

Not really.

Aug 12 08 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

James Sioux

W  A  L  K  E  R wrote:
How do you become a photographer for "Playboy"?I have look on the internet unsuccessfully

Can anyone tell the process?

It's not what you know that matters, it's who you know.  The door is extremely narrow, but a lot of people want to squeeze in. 

But if you really want to give it a try without knowing anybody in there, have about 6 breathtaking 8x10 prints/shots and submit them by mail (make sure the models are ok with you sending their pictures in).  Your shots should be in "Playboy style" and not some funky-looking/artsy pictures which you think are breathtaking.  The address is in every issue.  Mississippi River is the demarcation.  West side photogs submit to Los Angeles.   East side photogs submit to Chicago.  The rest is up to them.  Best of luck.

Aug 12 08 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Bruce Talbot wrote:

1. Become familiar with the various editors and their departments, prepare a submission on par or beyond current content, send it in and don't expect it back*.

bt

(* in a perfect world, including a return mailer would elicit a return of your goods. but then, that defeats the purpose of submitting in the first place.)

DING...DING...DING...We have a winner!

Aug 13 08 04:02 am Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

I'm pretty sure "The Hef" hires whom ever he pleases. What ever famous photog is hot at the moment.

So, I guess bust your ass and get famous!! lol!

Aug 13 08 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Ein zwei drei vier funf

Biggleswade, England, United Kingdom

How do you become a photographer for Railway Modeller ?

Aug 13 08 06:16 am Link

Photographer

Eric Jackson

Dayton, Ohio, US

You would have better odds winning the state lottery.

Aug 13 08 06:22 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Frame O Mind wrote:
Almost all their images are identical, I wonder if they editors have the photogs sit down and say this is what we want.

I knew this thread was going this way.

Aug 13 08 09:46 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Bruce Talbot wrote:

bt

/thread

Aug 13 08 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Jade Noir

San Antonio, Texas, US

Ah, so if you wanna get in ANY magazine, you gotta have connects.  Gotcha.

Aug 13 08 10:11 am Link

Photographer

CGI Images

Wichita, Kansas, US

I assume the OP is talking about a staff position not just having a photo or two appear in the magazines.

Aug 13 08 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Gil Lang

Isla Vista, California, US

I would say you can't get hired there but who knows but you know...it looks a lot more glamorous than it is.I can't remember the name of the guy but he was saying that the majority of girls they shoot(Playmate)aren't model at all.They are next to traumatise to be naked in front of  a couple of guys.They don't know a pose so it takes a while to pose them and then...the girl sneeze and they have to start over all again.For the center spread and cover shot,they use next to 36 individual flashes.So,they start with a few then take a Polaroid and see where it's too dark and add a flash here and there until they got it right so...say goodbye to spontaneity.

Aug 13 08 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Joe Miglionico

West Boylston, Massachusetts, US

Gil Lang wrote:
I would say you can't get hired there but who knows but you know...it looks a lot more glamorous than it is.I can't remember the name of the guy but he was saying that the majority of girls they shoot(Playmate)aren't model at all.They are next to traumatise to be naked in front of  a couple of guys.They don't know a pose so it takes a while to pose them and then...the girl sneeze and they have to start over all again.For the center spread and cover shot,they use next to 36 individual flashes.So,they start with a few then take a Polaroid and see where it's too dark and add a flash here and there until they got it right so...say goodbye to spontaneity.

There was an interview with a playboy photographer in a magazine a while back (I can't remember the name) but there was a shot of a centerfold he had done, and then a shot from further back showing all the lights, stands, reflectors, and everything else surrounding the model. I've never seen anything quite like it, this poor girl was standing in the middle of this nest of stands, with lights all over the place. I wish I could remember where I saw it, it was a fascinating photograph.

Aug 13 08 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Gil Lang

That's the same thing I've seen.There was 36 flashes crammed in front and around her...not disturbing at all :-)

Aug 13 08 12:21 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

There is an episode of GND where Holly is helping to choose the next centerfold or whatever and the set up at the studio is extensive.  Then again, PB's lighting is not for the feint of heart.  Nor is it easy to duplicate.

Aug 13 08 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Gil Lang

It seems that they don't allow Photoshop(even though there's a debate on this)in their work so instead of burning,dodging here and there with Photoshop,they do it at the shoot in adding flashes where needed...even though the guys who buy the magazines only look at the same tiny spot :-)

Aug 13 08 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

RichBruton

New Smyrna Beach, Florida, US

One of my buddies (his first name is Bo), desired this goal.  It took awhile, but he was successful.  Here's how he did it ...

He got models to shoot at various hotels and other resort locations ... or high end (well manicured) outdoor locations.  He pays them approx $300-500 for a nude "test shoot", and requires a signed full model release allowing him to transfer ownership of photos and to publish unconditionally.

He then post processes and submits the images .... just like the reply above suggested.

He told me he was "shot down" several times before he finally got replies back.  It just took awhile for him to dial in the right "look".

Finally, he got published in a Playboy spinoff (e.g. Girls of Playboy).

He continued every few months submitting ... and he got published more and more.  To date, he's been published in Playboy Spinoff Mags approx a dozen times (as I'm told).

Bo is a lawyer with a serious penchant for photography and has the absolute best Nikon gear you can get.  He ordered the D3 before it was available and has all Nikon lenses.  He prefers natural light but does own several SB-800s.  The point is that he is not some lifetime pro photographer, but he does have nice gear.

The earlier post which (in summary) said anyone can submit, was bang on.  And the cool thing about it (as another post said) is that models flock to Bo like honey bees to a flower.  Apparently you are "legally" allowed to use the Playboy icon and trademark in your port even if you've only appeared as a model in one of their spinoff mags. He keeps several issues around with his published work in them .... and the rest, as they say, is easy ;-)

Aug 13 08 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

I just answered their ad for a photographer on Craig's List.. wish me luck!

:-)

If I don't get in that way, then I'll just look for the girls on MM that want you to shoot them for free so they can submit to Playboy. If they get in, I'm sure they'll use the photographer that shot them in the first place.. I'm SURE of it!

Aug 13 08 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

Gil Lang wrote:
It seems that they don't allow Photoshop(even though there's a debate on this)in their work so instead of burning,dodging here and there with Photoshop,they do it at the shoot in adding flashes where needed...even though the guys who buy the magazines only look at the same tiny spot :-)

Yes they have all the lighting in the world.. hair, make-up, body make-up, etc. but how stupid do they think we are? Of course they retouch! Just look at the shots and it's crazy obvious they whiten the teeth (usually pretty poorly IMHO) and eyes. That's the tip of their retouching iceberg. Their lighting is beautiful (although predictable) I'm not taking that away from them, but  with regards to the girl's skin, eyes and teeth.. come on!!

They can say what they want with regards to their "no retouching" policy and the general public will probably believe it, but don't try to fool other photographers who know what to look for.

Aug 13 08 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Gil Lang wrote:
It seems that they don't allow Photoshop

***snorts***

Gawd, I love this place.

Aug 13 08 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

AMCphotography

No photoshop huh? I'd like to have them explain how they hide the rabbit head in the hair and or clothing, when it isn't a piece of jewelry...

Aug 13 08 03:09 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

MelissaLynnette LaDiva wrote:
There is an episode of GND where Holly is helping to choose the next centerfold or whatever and the set up at the studio is extensive.  Then again, PB's lighting is not for the feint of heart.  Nor is it easy to duplicate.

Is that the episode where her bumbling ass knocked down the lights?

Aug 13 08 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I would marry this thread.

Aug 13 08 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

AcmeStudios

I would imagine they get stacks of ports and resumes daily. Then of those most would do it for free. So if you want to stand inline to get a job that doesnt pay, best wishes.

Just my opinion.

Aug 13 08 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Need a ring master instead of mods for this one. :-)

GaryR

Aug 13 08 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Beeeeeeeeeggggggggggggg  .  .  .  wink 

SOS

Aug 13 08 03:29 pm Link