Forums > General Industry > ::: WOW..i just got blasted :::

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

so i get this "new model notification", from an online modeling community...i notice lovely young woman, with a rediculous monikor..

at this point..i break my own rule about personally contacting models..

like i said, she had a great look and in order to weed out a flake, i sent her a "refferal".

i complimented her look and made a few suggestions about her presentaion (monikor included)..over the course of several emails..she sent me some images and asked some more questions..
she appeared really interested...

so.. i am just about to "send button" an invite to my studio, when BAMM..i get this email telling me how unprofessioanl i am and what an asshole i am...how at first she wanted to work with me but now..no way..also was a invite to contact her in the future if i ever want to deal with a professional..

i have learned my lesson about directly contacting models..

::::::  a dazed doug  ::::::

Jun 26 05 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Can I buy ya a drink to help get over the shock!!  People really are amazing..  Somedays I wish I could shoot them with something other then a long lens...

Well, I'd have to say it's her loss not yours.. Probably would have made your life a living hell anyway....  :-)

Jun 26 05 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

So come on... share who it was!

I'm tired of leaving anonymous people off the hook.  Let us know... especially those of us in Florida, who the heck it was.

christian

Jun 26 05 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I turned off those notifications recently.

Jun 26 05 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

nah..lets keep this one anonymous...

Jun 26 05 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Never break your own rule when it works, it can come back and bite ya in the ass wink

I have never made first contact with a model and hopefully I won't break that rule (I know it's tempting sometimes). If she's interested she'll contact me.

Jun 26 05 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Gary

Redford, Michigan, US

I've noticed that at least for myself that first contacts on new models dont work very often, just put in a acknowledgement to put your name in front of them and thats it. I get more response from working models looking for something different.

Jun 26 05 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

ya know...i think i needed it..i was getting to cocky anyway..so in effect, she was helpful and served a purpose...

Jun 26 05 05:52 pm Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
so i get this "new model notification", from an online modeling community...i notice lovely young woman, with a rediculous monikor..

like i said, she had a great look and in order to weed out a flake, i sent her a "refferal".

i complimented her look and made a few suggestions about her presentaion (monikor included)..over the course of several emails..she sent me some images and asked some more questions..

so.. i am just about to "send button" an invite to my studio, when BAMM..i get this email telling me how unprofessioanl i am and what an asshole i am...how at first she wanted to work with me but now..no way..also was a invite to contact her in the future if i ever want to deal with a professional..

You know what. You may have complimented her TOO much. I sometimes talk to photogs on here whose work I think is incredible. We talk back and forth, and then after a while (I dont know if they get very comfortable with me or what) but they just continue to go on and on and on (you get the idea haha) about my body or how sexy I am. Not saying that this is the case for you. But maybe you over emphasised her appearance to her.

Jun 26 05 05:54 pm Link

Model

Tressie Myers

Welch, Oklahoma, US

Are there a lot of photographers that think like this? Photographers not contacting models.
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. Not the first time I have ever read something familiar and it won't be the last I'm sure.

Don't give up just because of one person! Other models are out there and if they think like you guys do you will never get the chance to work with them.

Wishing you all the best!

Thank you for your time.
Best Regards,
Tressie Scott

Jun 26 05 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Shayuma: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

You know what. You may have complimented her TOO much. I sometimes talk to photogs on here whose work I think is incredible. We talk back and forth, and then after a while (I dont know if they get very comfortable with me or what) but they just continue to go on and on and on (you get the idea haha) about my body or how sexy I am. Not saying that this is the case for you. But maybe you over emphasised her appearance to her.

caution "third person communication"

...doug doesn't overly compliment anyone that isn't his mom or in front his camera...but even then, doug will only make one or two complimentary references..doug is a professional. he makes his living, making sure his subjects at ease and comfortable...doug fully understands appropriate behaviour...

Jun 26 05 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by TressieScott: 
Are there a lot of photographers that think like this? Photographers not contacting models.

i remember a time when lawyers didn't advertise..they counted on their resume and refferals. when they did advertise, it was called "ambulance chasing"..

i like to let my images and resume do the talking..i put my work out there..if i didn't get any bites..if i had to go door to door..i would hang it up...

Jun 26 05 06:05 pm Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by Shayuma: 

caution "third person communication"

...doug doesn't overly compliment anyone that isn't his mom or in front his camera...but even then, doug will only make one or two complimentary references..doug is a professional. he makes his living, making sure his subjects at ease and comfortable...doug fully understands appropriate behaviour...

Hahaha ok my apologies sir!

Jun 26 05 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

It was me - I was just messing with you.....

No - but that would be funny - I bet her BF say all the emails she got and went insane..... her way of shutting him up.. guys do stupid crap like that....

I face that stuff here also - but aparentally i sleep with every model i have worked with.......... crap I wish...

Jun 26 05 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Moonsbreath

Brownwood, Texas, US

Doug,

Was the model from Houston, and did her first name start with "L"?  I had a freaky situation like this not too long ago.  I sent the model what I thought was an extremely congenial and thoughtful letter, and the model went off on me.  I thought maybe it was because I'm a woman.  All the other photogs she had worked with seemed to be men.

It does tick you off, though.

Jun 26 05 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Moonsbreath: it does tick you off, though.

nope a fla girl..and i am never angered, although sometimes i'm really amused...

Jun 26 05 08:08 pm Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

All I have to say is........not all models are bad, flakey, a washout etc.  There are some that do care out there and love what they do!

McKenzie

Jun 26 05 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by McKenzie: 
All I have to say is........not all models are bad, flakey, a washout etc.  There are some that do care out there and love what they do! McKenzie

yes maam..i know there are some, i count on the fact that there are some...

Jun 26 05 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

I just saw a new model at the "other" site and her name was...get this...Ivanalaya...I'm sure she thought this was soooo funny...sheesh...then she'll wonder why some scum bag will send her overly forward emails...ah well

Jun 26 05 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Rick Edwards: 
I just saw a new model at the "other" site and her name was...get this...Ivanalaya...I'm sure she thought this was soooo funny...sheesh...then she'll wonder why some scum bag will send her overly forward emails...ah well

wow, really...that sounds like a rediculous monikor..

Jun 26 05 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

I think I know who it is and I was going to place a cute clue... I thought better of it.

Mike

Jun 26 05 09:30 pm Link

Model

Jessika Rae

Akron, Ohio, US

Doug sweetie don't worry too much about it.  I think you are a really good photographer, and would be more than happy to shoot with you.  Keep your head up hun!
-Jessika

Jun 26 05 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

down..me never......
and thanks for the postive affirmation...

Jun 26 05 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
...(snipped)...so.. i am just about to "send button" an invite to my studio, when BAMM..i get this email telling me how unprofessioanl i am and what an asshole i am...how at first she wanted to work with me but now..no way...(snipped)...

Doug, I'm not privy to the word for word exchange between you and this model, but my first impression is, you're probably not dealing directly with the model, or the person on the other side could be totally misinterpreting, misreading what you say and that happens easily via e-mail. You might try to keep your e-mail exchanges down to at least 2 gos then move to the phone.

Don't let it discourage you from trying again.

Jun 26 05 09:33 pm Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Here is my opinion....if a model wants to find a manager, find an agency, a photographer etc.  She will be able to find it.  All a person as to do is do lots of research, thumb through references etc, make all the contacts...and BAM!  This is the same with a photographer...there is work to be done!  As with any job...you have to work!

McKenzie

Jun 26 05 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
...(snipped)...so.. i am just about to "send button" an invite to my studio, when BAMM..i get this email telling me how unprofessioanl i am and what an asshole i am...how at first she wanted to work with me but now..no way...(snipped)...

Doug, I'm not privy to the word for word exchange between you and this model, but my first impression is, you're probably not dealing directly with the model, or the person on the other side could be totally misinterpreting, misreading what you say and that happens easily via e-mail. You might try to keep your e-mail exchanges down to at least 2 gos then move to the phone.
Don't let it discourage you from trying again.

i have no real reason to contact models directly..i like exotic non-generic looks..she had one..that was the only reason i contacted her...it proved to be a mistake..no harm..no foul..i have lost nothing...

i need to turn off that notify thingie...

Jun 26 05 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

I think we've all had odd experiences when communicating on the web.  Someone once told me that written communication of any form has a more powerful impact then the spoken word.

My very worst experience was with a S. California model/webmaster who runs a fine art website and who is almost beyond belief.  I contacted her thinking I might work with her or at least meet her when I visited S. California, lo and behold I received an all caps reply in red... the most out of control email I have ever received... and all I did was to invite her for a cup of coffee.

You just never know.  People can hide behind their computers and say some very nasty stuff.  Things they would never say to your face... it can be an odd environment.

Jun 26 05 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Posted by McKenzie: 
Here is my opinion....if a model wants to find a manager, find an agency, a photographer etc.  She will be able to find it.  All a person as to do is do lots of research, thumb through references etc, make all the contacts...and BAM!  This is the same with a photographer...there is work to be done!  As with any job...you have to work!

McKenzie

CRAP!!  There goes my plan to be a Welfare Photographer!! Damn McKenzie, thanks for smashing the dream.....  :-(   

this has been an attempt at humour, do not take it seriously.. :-D

Jun 26 05 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Keith aka Wolfie: 

Posted by McKenzie: 
McKenzie

CRAP!!  There goes my plan to be a Welfare Photographer!! Damn McKenzie, thanks for smashing the dream.....  :-(    this has been an attempt at humour, do not take it seriously.. :-D

she's talking about you right now on yahoo IM...

Jun 26 05 09:54 pm Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by Keith aka Wolfie: 

Posted by McKenzie: 

McKenzie

CRAP!!  There goes my plan to be a Welfare Photographer!! Damn McKenzie, thanks for smashing the dream.....  :-(   

this has been an attempt at humour, do not take it seriously.. :-D

she's talking about you right now on yahoo IM...

YES I am!!  And how good of a person Keith aka Wolfgang is!  So there!!!!! 

McKenzie

Jun 26 05 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by RStephenT: 
I think we've all had odd experiences when communicating on the web.  Someone once told me that written communication of any form has a more powerful impact then the spoken word.

My very worst experience was with a S. California model/webmaster who runs a fine art website and who is almost beyond belief.  I contacted her thinking I might work with her or at least meet her when I visited S. California, lo and behold I received an all caps reply in red... the most out of control email I have ever received... and all I did was to invite her for a cup of coffee.

You just never know.  People can hide behind their computers and say some very nasty stuff.  Things they would never say to your face... it can be an odd environment.

Rich, the situation you describe (bolded in your post), is a perfect segue for a situation I encountered back in the day when I used to be a hacker/prankster investigator (in an unofficial capacity).

Years ago, I knew this person in my building whose corporate e-mail account was hijacked. Apparently, the intruder used an e-mail client to download the victim's mail headers from the server, pick out the ones that were requests for new business, download the full message body and delete it from the mail server. So, that my friend never knew the e-mail came in. Then, the intruder would write a mean response and send it. What this did was prevent my friend from getting new business.

In order to determine what was going on, I set up a fake e-mail and sent it to my friend, pretending to be a new customer. Lo and behold, I got a rude ass response. Then, I told my friend to send me an e-mail from his own computer. When I got it, I compared the raw Internet headers and that's how I determined his account got hijacked. The nasty response came from some swine appearing to be halfway across the world.

I had him switch his computers at his house, at his work and also switch to a mail server using a strong password policy, encryption and secure login. Then, he reported the incident to the FBI.

His situation ended, but for many, it could still be happening. Rich, your situation kinda looks like it might be happening to the Webmaster/Model you were trying to communicate with. That, or she's on drugs. Lol

So my point is this, everyone should learn how to read the raw e-mail headers to determine if it is fake. These days, it's easy to find a tutorial on the Internet on how to do this.

Jun 26 05 10:14 pm Link

Model

Sarah Marie Hilker

Los Angeles, California, US

What the hell, just out of the blue she freaks out on you?  Wow, she must have some problems.

Jun 26 05 11:10 pm Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Posted by SindelChaos: 
What the hell, just out of the blue she freaks out on you?  Wow, she must have some problems.

hmmmm...that is true.  PROZAC does wonders....so I have heard.

McKenzie

Jun 26 05 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

John Lavery

Manchester, Connecticut, US

Doug, thanks for sharing.  It's nice to know I'm not the only one that models flake on.

I'm careful not to heap too many compliments on a model, and try to keep it to "I like your look."  I actually had one model thank me for sending her such a professional-sounding e-mail, and we had a great experience when we ended up shooting together. But I've noticed there will always be the ones who seem to want to shoot, then bail for no reason. Hasn't forced me to give up so far, so I guess I'm just not going to. Besides, the contacts that end in great shoots are worth all the rejections.

Jun 27 05 12:12 am Link

Model

Chaotika

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

there's alot of scary models out there... and quite a few GWCs lurking around.. But i contact people... and most of the photogs i've worked with contacted me first wink So, with e-mailing ppl it's a win/lose situation.
I don't thin that cuz one girl was pissy you should stop contacting models.. most of the time i don't make first contact, cuz, hey, i'm not the one in charge of it wink
xoxox
~C~

Jun 27 05 12:46 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

::::::  a dazed dong  ::::::

I loved sixteen candles.  I heard they are starting filming on a version 2.  I loved the donger.

HHHHHhaaaaa,  your car,  HHHHaaaa, buuuusss, bannnnnngggg, smmmaaaashshshs , hahhahahahah,

Best lines of the movie.

Jun 27 05 12:51 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I had a similar experience but with a photographer, as a model! This photographer and I were talking about TFP, and then I was told that he'd work with me but only if I agree to pay his MUA that he works with.  I responded saying it's a TFP so I wasn't expecting to pay, but if I could at least get this MUA's name/credits/rates I'll see if I can afford it.  I got an email back from him saying that he would've loved to work with me but he has no interest in working with models that only want free photos, and further was named a "nobody" because I don't yet have an agent and that I should contact him when I'm signed by a major agency.

I only said I'm on a budget (I'm building the portfolio to find an agency, ofcourse I'm on a budget... besides, don't EVERYONE have budgets for their projects anyway?) and that I need to know this MUA's name, credits and rates... I mean, why would I agree to pay someone without having a clue of who she is, her experience or how much she charges??? That's like signing a blank check! And then I was called a "nobody"... I was quite shocked and offended, but after I sought advice from a photographer that I happened to be on very good terms with (AND who this photographer in question claimed to be friends with! Isn't that interesting?) and he told me to not worry about this guy, I got over it fairly quickly.  But really, my initial reaction was, "Wha?! What did I say or do to you for you to suddenly be so sour?" 

I do hire/pay photographers I really want to work with whenever I am financially capable of doing so.  I have hired a couple before, I had a great time shooting with them, and I also have been fortunate enough to find many photographers that liked my look and agreed to do a test or TFP with me.  But, gee, strange things sure do happen in this industry...

Jun 27 05 01:47 am Link

Model

Mz Nova

Portland, Oregon, US

I personally blasted a photographer recently...

I talked with him over the phone, he sent me some good pictures, i don't reall what he said he emphisied, but it wasn't sex. I went to shoot with him, i brought a bunch of outfits and he was stoked about them, saying how he like this, thought this would the fun, ect.  I was shooting the first on and got sick as a dog.  He was asking me to smile and I am almost in tears, i did a good job acting 'cuz he didn't realise anything was wrong until i almost fainted. Well, I went home early and planned another time to shoot in two weeks.  I came back with the same outfits and he is not happy.  "I don't know how i can do cowgirl as sexy." "Sexy?" "Yeah, sexy is what I do, thats what I am known for...I can make any girl sexy, blahblahblah." Wait, this isn't what you sold me on...it was the opposite! Okay, well, I tried, but he was so standoff-ish and cold, did not look happy with what i put on except for my red dress.  So we shoot, I am not feeling like hot shit with this attitude, but i try (I was also missing something that I reeeeeeally wanted to be at, but i thought cancling again would be unprofressional). So, I write to him in a few weeks ask how the editing is coming and he tells me, "Oh, nothing you did was really sexy enough for me to use." Wait-We did not get together for "sexy enough" shots, they were to be sexy enough for our protfolios, but not enough? I stood in unnatural positions for streches of time, and you didn't fucking make the picture sexy when you did that? you told me everything to do, posed me to the smallest detail, yet you failed to make a single sexy enough shot? I got pissed, and I told him straight out, "You did not make me comfortable, or feel sexy when we did the shoot, of course it didn't come out well!" then he got madder 'n' a bull 'n Pendlton, bitched me out saying i wasn't respecting him for all the work he did, i am a horrible person, never has he been soo insulted...so, we both went crazy.  i appoligised, said i was sorry, pissed that my work didn't seem to be good enough for him, and when the photographer is unhappy with the end product i am unhappy with the end product...generally sucked up and said i was going to quit...which i amnot doing a very good job of.

part of the problem is with a computer, you don't hear the way people are saying things, so a simple comment can be read as a condemnation. and people are crazy. even if you talk to them, they still  might be.

Jun 27 05 02:12 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by marksora: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

::::::  a dazed dong  ::::::

I loved sixteen candles.  I heard they are starting filming on a version 2.  I loved the donger.

HHHHHhaaaaa,  your car,  HHHHaaaa, buuuusss, bannnnnngggg, smmmaaaashshshs , hahhahahahah,

Best lines of the movie.

If I'm thinking of the right movie, I liked the part where he was laid out in front of the house mimicking the granddad, "Automobeel? Automobeel?" That one right there cracked me up.

Jun 27 05 02:19 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Haha, funny story! But sweetie, are you okay with posting so many swearwords???

Jun 27 05 03:12 am Link