Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Doesnt' it just irritate the hell out of you when someone doesn't get it?

Mar 11 06 12:22 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

Tim Hammond wrote:

Yeppers...and the worst place for trying it out is on the internet.  You make one sarcastic remark and the whole of the world comes at you with burning rakes.  Like the little dog thread....one poster tells another to go fly off a skyscraper (of she meant figuratively) and she gets blasted by a third poster for screaming suicide.

Mar 11 06 12:26 pm Link

Model

Nocturnity

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

I hate using sarcasm or any emotion period on the internet.  You cant hear tone of voice in text, and usually people assume that youre ultra pissed off or not serious enough.  I usually just say what i want to say and if people take it the wrong way or fill in the blanks with whatever emotion they feel like, be it sarcasm or whatever, then thats their problem.

Mar 11 06 12:29 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

Nocturnity wrote:
I hate using sarcasm or any emotion period on the internet.  You cant hear tone of voice in text, and usually people assume that youre ultra pissed off or not serious enough.  I usually just say what i want to say and if people take it the wrong way or fill in the blanks with whatever emotion they feel like, be it sarcasm or whatever, then thats their problem.

Here here!  I've noticed that quite a few people are ultra sensitive.  I swear sometimes it is like talking to a trigger happy firing squad.

Mar 11 06 12:31 pm Link

Model

Nocturnity

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

Brandon Smith wrote:

Here here!  I've noticed that quite a few people are ultra sensitive.  I swear sometimes it is like talking to a trigger happy firing squad.

ITS TRUE!!! I despise when others say something on the internet and right away someone starts to gather their smug little conclusions about the persons personality and assume things about them.

Mar 11 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

We are suffering from too much sarcasm.
                     - Marianne Moore

Mar 11 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

In my opinion, sarcasm is a highly ineffective way of making a point:

>>>  Often, it's meaning is obscure.
   >>>  Often, it is disrespectful & therefore not conducive to the discussion.
   >>>  Often, attempts at sarcastic humor fails (usually to the ignorance of
           the perpetrator).
   >>>  Often, it lowers the tone of the debate to a useless level.

Some of us (especially me) always react poorly to sarcastic points.  If you want me to take your point of view seriously, you'll have to be direct, specific, and non-sarcastic.

Mar 11 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Not everyone here (or other sites) have the same agenda or upbringing and in turn have a completely different point of view.
As long as you/him/her/they show respect, the hope would be that everything will be well received.

I feel a bit of basic humor is ok, but intentional sarcasm can lead others to think some harm was meant. Why give anyone the impression you were making fun of them?

If sarcasm is really needed to make the point, maybe it should be followed by the international chat sign of “lol or jk – j/kâ€? as an indication that a joke was made.

No, I’m really not a dry overly sensitive person; I just don’t like having to undo what could have been avoided.

Mar 11 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Some of us (especially me) always react poorly to sarcastic points.  If you want me to take your point of view seriously, you'll have to be direct, specific, and non-sarcastic.

Man, you're no fun at all!

I'll admit I'm guilty of excessive sarcasm at times, but it's usually with people who are too dense to get the point even when you are direct and specific, so you might as well have some fun with them.

Mar 11 06 12:45 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

I'd like to think, though, that certain hyperbolic extentions of the English lanugauge could be taken less seriously without someone getting their imported panties in a bunch.  If you make an uneducated remark and someone says "take a flying leap" it should be pretty obvious.    I can see where subtle sarcasm can be a problem, especially in the context of the internet, but geeeeezzzz....

Mar 11 06 12:46 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

Tim Hammond wrote:

I'll admit I'm guilty of excessive sarcasm at times, but it's usually with people who are too dense to get the point even when you are direct and specific, so you might as well have some fun with them.

Sometimes when you just can't get your point across by using specifics it is time to call in good old fun sarcasm!

Mar 11 06 12:47 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

sarcastic? me? never!

Mar 11 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Tim Hammond wrote:

That's what I was going to say:  Sarcasm is often wasted because the "victim" takes the sarcasm literally.  That is soooo frustrating to those of us whose words drip delicious, tangy, biting sarcastic contempt.  :-)

Mar 11 06 12:49 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Sarcasm...
ahhh the greatest invention given to man and his never ending quest for quick-witted dialogue...

Yet, so many people absloutely don't know how to appreciate it. And, usually it's the people who attempt to be sarcastic the most often who are the one's who just don't get it and attack you for what you say. *ironic*

Mar 11 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

William Coleman wrote:
That's what I was going to say:  Sarcasm is often wasted because the "victim" takes the sarcasm literally.  That is soooo frustrating to those of us whose words drip delicious, tangy, biting sarcastic contempt.  :-)

I'm not saying that I take sarcasm literally.  I'm just saying that points are vastly cheapened & weakened by using a disrespectful, sarcastic tone when one attempts to make them.  I'm also acknowledging that some people feel witty, superior, and/or funny when they make points with sarcasm, but in the minds of many (especially me), such people are rarely as witty, superior, and/or funny as they think they are.

Hey, I'm all for a good joke & a fun time, but here's a hint:  it isn't very funny if everybody isn't laughing.

Mar 11 06 12:58 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
If sarcasm is really needed to make the point, maybe it should be followed by the international chat sign of “lol or jk – j/kâ€? as an indication that a joke was made.

It' funny you say that.

In my normally dry humor overflow, I tend to tag alot of things with this (mundane) form of writing.

Back in Jan., I had someone jump in a conversation I was having with someone else where we were *talkin' sh!t* and I had "lmao" on the end of it... This intergecting person accused me of literally belittling the person I was talking to. Funny stuff... tongue

Mar 11 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

lapis wrote:
sarcastic? me? never!

Yeah well, you're HOT so people let you get away with it.

Mar 11 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

I'm not saying that I take sarcasm literally.  I'm just saying that points are vastly cheapened & weakened by using a disrespectful, sarcastic tone when one attempts to make them.  I'm also acknowledging that some people feel witty, superior, and/or funny when they make points with sarcasm, but in the minds of many (especially me), such people are rarely as witty, superior, and/or funny as they think they are.

Hey, I'm all for a good joke & a fun time, but here's a hint:  it isn't very funny if everybody isn't laughing.

I agree.  In principle.  And I often regret being sarcastic.  But sometimes the temptation is more than I can fight off.  The words type themselves.

BTW, Keanu Reeves is a TERRIFIC actor, isn't he?

Mar 11 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

It can be difficult to control oneself from being sacastic when one deals with an idiot.  In the middle of a particularly mind numbing conversation with someone who is just is NOT getting the point, ever have to stop yourself from suddenly yelling at them:

"Run Forest, Run!"

I have scars, literally, that prove I sometimes simply can not contain the urge to be sarcastic.

Mar 11 06 02:04 pm Link

Model

Phoenix E

yeah, i hate sarcasm. it is just so difficult to follow.

Mar 11 06 02:07 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Phoenix E wrote:
yeah, I hate sarcasm. it is just so difficult to follow.

Hey I'll build you a homing beacon to attach to the sarcasm that way..you'll just catch up when you have time. smile

::Disclaimer::
Sorry.....I absolute couldn't resist. I've been taking Starbuck's Frappuccino doses all day. On my 4th right now.
tongue

Mar 11 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Dreams To Keep wrote:
It can be difficult to control oneself from being sacastic when one deals with an idiots.  In the middle of a particularly mind numbing conversation with someone who is just is NOT getting the point, ever have to stop yourself from suddenly yelling at them:

"Run Forest, Run!"

I have scars, literally, that prove I sometimes simply can not contain the urge to be sarcastic.

LOL.  My sentiments.  It's like being possessed.  It just takes over.  The sarcastic should not be held responsible!

Mar 11 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

William Coleman wrote:
BTW, Keanu Reeves is a TERRIFIC actor, isn't he?

No, in my opinion, he is, at best, an average actor.

Mar 11 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

No, in my opinion, he is, at best, an average actor.

::how to respond?  maybe there's no way::

Mar 11 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Tim Hammond wrote:

Uh, yeah. I have people MMessaging me all the time telling me my portfolio sucks.

GWC!

Mar 11 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I can only assume that you mean "irony" and not "sarcasm."

don't you just hate it when people can't use a dictionary?

Mar 11 06 03:11 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Sarcasm IS a form of verbal irony.

Don't you just hate it when people correct others when they're not wrong?

Mar 11 06 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

sarcasm:
    1579, from L.L. sarcasmos, from Gk. sarkasmos "a sneer, jest, taunt, mockery," from sarkazein "to speak bitterly, sneer," lit. "to strip off the flesh," from sarx (gen. sarkos) "flesh," prop. "piece of meat," from PIE base *twerk- "to cut" (cf. Avestan thwares "to cut"). Sarcastic is from 1695. For nuances of usage, see humor.

Mar 11 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
I can only assume that you mean "irony" and not "sarcasm."

don't you just hate it when people can't use a dictionary?

Um, no, I mean sarcasm.

Sarcasm
n.
   1.   A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
   2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
   3. The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit 1.

Don't you just hate it when people don't have to refer to a dictionary to say what they mean? smile

Mar 11 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Tim Hammond wrote:

Um, no, I mean sarcasm.

Sarcasm
n.
   1.   A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
   2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
   3. The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit 1.

Don't you just hate it when people don't have to refer to a dictionary to say what they mean? smile

How ironic!

Mar 11 06 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

William Coleman wrote:

How ironic!

Don't be sarcastic, you bastard!

Mar 11 06 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

theda wrote:
Sarcasm IS a form of verbal irony.

Don't you just hate it when people correct others when they're not wrong?

No, sarcasm is any sort of biting comment meant to cut at someone.  It CAN be ironic but it doesn't need to be.  Most often people say sarcastic when they mean ironic.  Many times people say things that are ironic that are not meant to be cutting, and people still say it's "sarcasm," and they are incorrect.

Mar 11 06 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
No, sarcasm is any sort of biting comment meant to cut at someone.  It CAN be ironic but it doesn't need to be.  Most often people say sarcastic when they mean ironic.

"You suck!"

Biting, but not sarcastic...

Mar 11 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

XtremeArtists wrote:

"You suck!"

And not ironic.  Whereas "Mr. Fudd, you speak so well!" is both sarcastic and ironic.

Mar 11 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

XtremeArtists wrote:
"You suck!"

Actually, it could be considered sarcastic because there's no implication of irony in the etymology.  It's a common use sort of thing.

Irony implies incongruity which can be for the purpose of humor, harm, or dramatic effect.  It's only sarcastic if it is meant to harm.

Mar 11 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
Actually, it could be considered sarcastic because there's no implication of irony in the etymology.  It's a common use sort of thing.

"You suck!" (usually) employs no wit, which makes a biting comment sarcastic.

If "You suck!" did employ wit, it would probably be strictly ironic and not sarcastic at all, e.g., if I said, "You suck!" to Steve Meisel. 

If I said it to Count Dracula, it would be puntastic.

Mar 11 06 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

"You suck!" (usually) employs no wit, which makes a biting comment sarcastic.

If "You suck!" did employ wit, it would probably be strictly ironic and not sarcastic at all, e.g., if I said, "You suck!" to Steve Meisel. 

If I said it to Count Dracula, it would be puntastic.

Hey, everyone!  Erudite discussion of the phrase "You suck!" going on here!

Mar 11 06 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

William Coleman wrote:
Hey, everyone!  Erudite discussion of the phrase "You suck!" going on here!

Great.  This thread sucks.

Mar 11 06 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
No, sarcasm is any sort of biting comment meant to cut at someone.  It CAN be ironic but it doesn't need to be.

No, that would just be an insult. To be sarcasm is also requires some element of wit. Frequently, that comes in the form of irony.

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
Most often people say sarcastic when they mean ironic.

Perhaps. But I say sarcastic when I mean sarcastic and ironic when I mean ironic.

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
Many times people say things that are ironic that are not meant to be cutting

And where's the fun in that?

Mar 11 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

William Coleman wrote:
::how to respond?  maybe there's no way::

Too subtle?  Not sarcastic enough?

Mar 11 06 06:02 pm Link