Forums > Photography Talk > Desperately Seeking Opinions of Fellow Female Photographers

Photographer

Moonsbreath

Brownwood, Texas, US

When I first placed my portfolio(s) online, I often felt like I wasn't acknowledged by models because I'm female.  Now that I'm becoming more established and more confident in my work, I'm finding that I like being in this "minority"...and that the models who send me referrals are ones who are aligned with what I do.  And models who do shoot with me comment on the fact that they like working with someone who projects a unique and feminine perspective.

I'm wondering if other women behind the camera have had more positive or negative experiences and just what some of those experiences are.

Guy photographers, we won't throw anything at you if you have something worthwhile to add. *grin*

P.S. Is "fellow female" an oxymoron? ;c)

Jun 29 05 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

bex

Buckingham, England, United Kingdom

I've always found it a positive thing.

I get alot of interest in shooting with me, possibly because I'm female and models find it easier to relax around me?

I also think female photographer's have a different take on photographing women which can make the images more appealing to "said women" ....... possibly because they are rather more detached from the sexual aspect??? *ducks from male photographers throwing heavy objects*

Jun 29 05 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Elin Striga

Örebro, Örebro, Sweden

From models, I only get positive responds. Both male and female models like to work with me.
From clients, I feel they don't take me as serious as if I were male.

I also agree with Bex about the sexual aspect. I see a lot of male photographers who focus on models chest and butt. I focus on their eyes 'cause that's what I would want a photographer to do if I were modelling.

Jun 29 05 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

bex

Buckingham, England, United Kingdom

I get alot of female business clients precisely BECAUSE I'm female smile

they like dealing with me

Jun 29 05 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Elin Striga

Örebro, Örebro, Sweden

Bex... I've actually never met a female business client in Swe. But that's a great idea, have to dig those out and get them my business proposals!

Jun 29 05 03:27 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

I jioned MM to try and find myself some jobs
modeling,but i love photographing others as well.
Alot of people tend to have this stereotypical idea of
what a photographer and thier studio should look
like. "No.. im a girl,yes..No. No i dont have a multi
billion dollar contract with any variouse lingerie
companites...[insert arguement here]" I think that
the general responce i get about my gender is "oh..
thats cool i guess", a generaly cautious not so sure
kind of responce. Mainly because most of the photographers
people see in the magazines n what not seem to be all
men. Fustrating indeed!

THe only time iv recieved a negetive responce on my
person,was when i told them my age and then they asked
male or female. I siad "Female"Then they were uninterested.

Jun 29 05 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

When I first started out using models (as opposed to street or journalistic type shooting) I had the hardest time finding folks to work with me.  In part it was because I ID'd myself as amateur, from lt. amare (meaning to love) and amator (lover)....unforunately it meant to models I think, that I was a hack amateur as in not knowing what I was doing.  Second, my personal work is admittedly not terribly straight.  Lots of soft focus, tilts, shifts, color schemes, heavy contrast, etc, so not only didn't fit with a lot of the models portfolios, it probably read hack as well.

Once I broke through initial reservation, I started getting a number of models who wanted to work with me.  Lots who wanted to do nudes or quasi sexual, erotic stuff  with a female behind the lens, I heard from them that it felt less intimidating, not as possibly pervy and safer.  And after the shooting as well, they told me how different the experience was, for some really liberating even.

Being a female behind the lens can be a plus or a minus though as it depends on the model and what she is wanting and where she is coming from.  For instance, though I'm capable of shooting glamour or nudes, I'm not a big fan of the powerless or fawning woman barbi doll imagery that's so rampant in our culture.  I have no problem with exploring issues of women giving up power, but I don't like the stereotypical babe on the beach tits out ass up shots.  Some models, that's what they want for their portfolio though.  Some models would prefer to shoot with guys, WANT some dude to say, you look hot baby and you look so much hotter when you open your mouth that way....

The negatives about being a female photographer would be pervy straight guy models or pervy male photographers who want to piggy back on the model safety.   I've enough pervy male models wanting to either shoot a couples series with females, or wanting a female photographer to capture their big bulging muscles (etc) that I only work now with male models that are referrals.  And then I've had a couple of male photographers who wanted to shoot with my models (me present) so they could get those more intimate kinda looks.  It's all about context but I wasn't really down with that sort of situation.

Jun 29 05 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

My only problem has been guys yelling at the models obscene things, I don't know if male photographers have this problem. They usually leave pretty fast since my normal response is
"Dude, she's only 16,"
though once, with some demon inside me I responded
"Sorry, we are a little busy we have to go up to my loft and have sex, goodbye."

Jun 29 05 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Moonsbreath

Brownwood, Texas, US

Kim,

I've also had difficulty finding models who "get" what I'm doing.  I, too, like unconventional effects and themes, and since I'm in rural Texas, it's especially challenging to find those who are willing (and able) to take the time to look beyond the surface of my work.

And is it just me, or does almost every model in OMP have one of those tits out/ass up/bikini/sunset shots? LOL!

Jun 29 05 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Posted by bex: 

I also think female photographer's have a different take on photographing women which can make the images more appealing to "said women" ....... possibly because they are rather more detached from the sexual aspect??? *ducks from male photographers throwing heavy objects* 

Probably.  Though in fashion photography, a good number of the heavier hitters are gay males.  And I can think of a few upper echelon female photographers who are lesbians.  So can't always assume the male is looking to jump the model's bone or that the female isn't into women.

Posted by Elin: 

I also agree with Bex about the sexual aspect. I see a lot of male photographers who focus on models chest and butt. I focus on their eyes 'cause that's what I would want a photographer to do if I were modelling.

Lol.  If one looks at my portfolio you can see lots of chest and butt as well.  Though I suspect what lays behind my images might be different from a male perspective.  Myself, I ABSOLUTELY HAVE NO problem portraying the female body in a sensual, erotic, or even sexual way.  I think women, and their bodies can be all of it. For me though it's about power and context.   What I notice in the tits and ass photography of some guys, is that's ALL they see in their model.  She's a live version of some anatomical sex doll, with living skin to complete the fantasy.  Not to use an overdone analogy but some guys display their models like she's a slab of meat.  Even though I'm not a vegetarian I have no interest in shooting slabs of meat.

Jun 29 05 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Kathy Grogan

Torrance, California, US

Last year I did a lot of photo shoots with a modeling agency. They would bring out their beginner models and we would shoot TFP.

I noticed that most of the younger (20 and under) models would gravitate towards me. They were more comfortable with a female photographer than the male photographers. As were their moms. They said they felt safer with me, especially since most of the male photographers wanted them to turn around, stick out your butt, show your cleavage, etc. It was a definite advantage for me.

Jun 29 05 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Dear Moonsbreath, The world should be ready to see more photography by women. But at the same time don't forget that one of the defining portrait photographers of the 19th century was Julian Margaret Cameron. The first cover of Life Magazine in the 20th century was by Margaret Bourke-White. It was Bourke White who was the first photographer (of either sex to fly over Germany in a bombing mission during WW-II.

Since I am a man the only way I can incorporate the woman's point of view in my photography is by consulting and having an honest relationship with my subject (model). One model who has crossed the line into photography whom you should consult is Carla who can be found at 2520. She is the one who got me into modelmayhem to begin with.

And I cannot finish this praise of women photographers without citing the example of Bunny Yeager who was fed up at the way men photographed her so she started doing it herself. She got very good and made Betty Page famous with her pictures.

Jun 29 05 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Big mistake on my part! That's Julia (not Julian) Margaret Cameron)!

Jun 29 05 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mistie Dawn Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Okie dokie here is where I put my 2 cents in..hehe..
Ok..being a fellow female photog I totally understand the "oh its a girl" thing idea of things.
My work is more "macabre" based being that I manip alot of my work.But I can honestly say that I get ignored alot by fellow male photogs because of that. Especially those who are very successful.But thats fine I'll show them..hehe..anywho..I do find that most models prefere to work with females, as far as the comfort issue goes.We do bring a very differant eye to the industry, but to me I think photography is very femanine.It takes a softness to capture the world in a beautiful light.I truely cant stand the whole " ooo look at the pretty little rail with her ass in the air and her boobs smooshed together every so rightly with her big lucious lips open to the right point with the big doe eyes" its redundant and I personally make it a point to not do those shots.I believe that u can get the same erotic feeling from a fully clothed woman if she has the right look in her eye.Then again I get alot of people who dont know if Im male or female because of the way my work looks so thats a plus as well. But all in all I can say I have come up against alot of resistance.Especially because I work with bands,metal bands to be specific.Now theres a group of people ya gotta prove urself to if ur a chick!

Jun 29 05 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Women photographers!?

HA!

A woman's place is in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant. Next thing you know, they'll be wanting to vote, drive cars and wear PANTS!

Women photographers, indeed!

https://www.collectorsprints.com/_images/p/102/sufferage-400.jpg

Jun 29 05 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Elemental Photo

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Well, I have personally never had a problem getting models(I AM just starting out, though), and the ones I have worked with seem to enjoy it very much. I know I would feel a lot more comfortable being photographed by a woman than a man.
Eric- yer such a pig! tongue

Jun 29 05 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Posted by Moonsbreath: 
Kim,

I've also had difficulty finding models who "get" what I'm doing.  I, too, like unconventional effects and themes, and since I'm in rural Texas, it's especially challenging to find those who are willing (and able) to take the time to look beyond the surface of my work.

That to me is why having a larger viewing forum and model pool beyond one's locality is great.  You can hook up with like minded artistic souls and develop an extended community.  And yes, I can imagine it might be REAL challenging in rural texas to find that community!

Posted by Moonsbreath:
And is it just me, or does almost every model in OMP have one of those tits out/ass up/bikini/sunset shots? LOL!

Not only does half of OMP have those TA flowing hair in the setting sun shots, one half of them seem to get showcases out of it! 

Jun 29 05 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

I put in a few remarks about OMP being just like Maxim magazine and I got lots of criticism. This site is quite as blatant. I have a picture of my granddaugther (7) that is now prominently displayed as a showcase image. My guess it's some sort of tokenism. From the point of view of being up here in a pretty liberatated and PC Canada some of those photos are hard to swallow. In particular I find no correlation between women in bikinis in cars, on cars, and next to cars. The poses themselves all scream glamour with a u.

Jun 29 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

By the site being blatant I did mean OMP. Somehow this one is a bit more relaxed. But I cannot figure out the shout box. It reminds this Canadian of being in a Catholic boarding school for boys in Austin, Texas and having girls call our floor public phone. This was before you paid for phone sex.

Jun 29 05 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

The entire "I'm a female photographer so a female model will feel more comfortable around me" has always seemed lame to me. If you are a good photographer then it shouldn't matter your gender just like it shouldn't matter your race. If someone has good work then that will speak for them and not what or who they are!

Jun 29 05 10:57 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

If anything, I'm more likely to be interested in working with a female photographer. I'm generally more comfortable around men, but the majority of photographers I've worked with have been male and I have a quota system I'm trying to fill.

Come all ye, minorities.

Jun 29 05 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

It is a conspiracy,  rocy??

did you know that most major colleges have a quota system now to let in the boys who are not as intelligent as the women.

The average college receives better applications by far from women.

The take over has begun.

WAKE UP.

Jun 30 05 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

When shooting in public places I've had to make the same response to onlookers making rude or sometimes positively lewd comments. Sometimes I'll say it even if the model is 18+ just to get them to be embarrassed about what they just said.
On the whole male/female issue, I've always had an easy rapport with women and even model who don't normally do nudes have sought me out when they wanted to explore or experiment...

Posted by Star: 
My only problem has been guys yelling at the models obscene things, I don't know if male photographers have this problem. They usually leave pretty fast since my normal response is
"Dude, she's only 16,"
though once, with some demon inside me I responded
"Sorry, we are a little busy we have to go up to my loft and have sex, goodbye."

Jun 30 05 01:09 am Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Before I drift out of the world of insomnia, I would like to share my opinion on this controversial topic.
I am an up and coming photographer who is also proud to be a woman.  I would prefer to be judged primarily by the works that I produce, but being a woman in this field sometimes taints the views of others watching me. 
While some may be inclined to disregard me simply because of my gender, others gravitate towards me for the very same reason, and still others are moderately indifferent to this fact, and are provoked by the images I've been fortunate to create.
This goes for models, photographers (hobbyists and veterans), stylists, and clients, male or female.
Regardless of how I'm looked at, I continue to strive forward with passion and dedication to my craft.

Signing off!

ciao

Jennifer Maria

Jun 30 05 01:30 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by JenniferMaria: 
Before I drift out of the world of insomnia, I would like to share my opinion on this controversial topic.
I am an up and coming photographer who is also proud to be a woman.  I would prefer to be judged primarily by the works that I produce, but being a woman in this field sometimes taints the views of others watching me. 
While some may be inclined to disregard me simply because of my gender, others gravitate towards me for the very same reason, and still others are moderately indifferent to this fact, and are provoked by the images I've been fortunate to create.
This goes for models, photographers (hobbyists and veterans), stylists, and clients, male or female.
Regardless of how I'm looked at, I continue to strive forward with passion and dedication to my craft.

Signing off!

ciao

Jennifer Maria

great first post.  have a good sleep.  Well written.

I guess we are still far off from MLK dream of no judgement based on what we appear to be, instead of what we do in our lives.

Jun 30 05 01:47 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Posted by ( ANT ) Mgaphoto: 
The entire "I'm a female photographer so a female model will feel more comfortable around me" has always seemed lame to me. If you are a good photographer then it shouldn't matter your gender just like it shouldn't matter your race. If someone has good work then that will speak for them and not what or who they are!

Well maybe so, but it's something I hear quite often, and quite unsolicited from female and sometimes male models.

Like I said, it works the other way too, where I have seen some women (and actually a few guys ) who preferred working with males.

Personally, I just want whoever I'm working with to be comfortable with me....

Jun 30 05 10:29 am Link

Model

KARELEA

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Im a female photographer and everything is great, actually people find it amusing and models much more comfortable.
Its about your work/portfolio not gender.

Jun 30 05 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Cindy Crabb

Fort Worth, Texas, US

So far I haven't had any problems getting female models, but I haven't really been getting any males.  I don't know if it's because I really don't have any or at least many in my book, or if I shoot too "girly".  LOL. 
So far I haven't really had any problems, and seem to have been accepted by other photogs in my area.  I agree with KM that it's more about the book than the gender.  After all, the successful model will realize that it's the image that opens those first few doors.  If you can get that one great image, does it really matter where it was a male or female that took it?
BTW-interesting thread!

Jul 01 05 10:38 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

All these "model portfolio" sites are full of photographs on how men see women and what men think is sexy. Models allow themselves to be photographed like that and the same pattern then persists. We accept all the women who are gagged or tied up because we "accept" that these are fetish photos and that's what they are supposed to look like. But what scares me the most are those photographs showing women in bloody bathtubs or photos of women with bloody hands. I would like to see more women-driven photos. Perhaps I have been in Canada too long but I no longer look at high-heeled shoes as sexy. So my question to the woman photographers in this site is: Do you shape your portfolio to satisfy the men in the business you will be facing?  There is no doubt in my mind that the men simply photograph they way they have learned for so many years and all dream of that Maxim assignment.

Jul 01 05 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Moonsbreath

Brownwood, Texas, US

Alex,

I agree that our society, still largely male-driven in itself, continues to allow women to be projected and perceived as objects; however, I also agree with Kim that it is okay for a woman to explore the submissive role (whether as model or photographer).  We have so many roles (lovers, wives, mothers, daughters, friends) that dissecting and exploring each one of those can help us to put the whole picture into perspective.

While I will consider the input of a model or client, in the end, I shoot for myself.  That's what I love about this work: It's something I do just for myself...and finally I've found what I want to do when I grow up.  I spent too many years trying to be other people's ideas of who they thought I should be, and in respect to photography, nobody else is gonna tell me what to create. (I'm always open to constructive criticism and technical advice though ;c).

Jul 01 05 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Moonsbreath

Brownwood, Texas, US

Cindy,

If you had the chance, would you like to work with more male models? I would--I have certain concepts in mind that only a guy can portray...and I would like to work with a male and female model.  I'm picky, though; I have certain looks that I prefer in guys and can't always find what I'm looking for.

Jul 01 05 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

David Alexandre

London, England, United Kingdom

I am MALE photographer and my favorite artist are Ellen Von Unwerth, Annie Liebovitz and Bethina Reims.they are some if not the most talented  photographer around.they create strong images and everyone knows at least one of their work .
Now, the only reason people think it is strange to have a woman photographers is that 75% of the glossy market is mostly for men to look at girls with few exception(vanity fair etc...)

Jul 01 05 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Cindy Crabb

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Posted by Moonsbreath: 
Cindy,

If you had the chance, would you like to work with more male models? I would--I have certain concepts in mind that only a guy can portray...and I would like to work with a male and female model.  I'm picky, though; I have certain looks that I prefer in guys and can't always find what I'm looking for.

Of course!   I'm picky too I suppose.  I have a different vision perhaps on male models.  I like the non traditional look.  Older maybe, ethnic.  It's all about the eyes to me.  There are a lot of pretty male models out there, but I really want one that can project that look.  But, don't we all??? teehee.  I love your photography and you seem to envision things I can't even imagine.  I'd love to see your work with men.

Jul 01 05 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Moonsbreath

Brownwood, Texas, US

Thank you! I guess we'll be the Mutual Admiration Society , because I'm equally impressed by your work and look forward to seeing more from your "angle".  I have been fortunate enough to shoot some guys who, though young, were/are excellent models...I think due to their involvement in high school drama (the one-act play kind...not the kind that goes on between classes. Haha!).

Jul 01 05 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Dear Moonsbreath, You mention all those rolls that women play yet so few of them are represented here. I find it amazing that this man is the one who is defending the woman's point of view. I guess in the end it amount to this. Jock Sturges almost went to jail for taking pictures of young girls on French nudist beaches but Sally Mann (being the mother of the young children she photographed) is now a respected photographer. I like to take contrary views, and specifically here as if you open on the main page an look at those little pictures with the "good mornings" I am feel uncomfortable looking at them.  It is almost as somehow the 21st century has not arrived here in spite of all the digital wonders that put those pictures there. I respect and appreciate that you post here.

Jul 01 05 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Hyperion, Check out my photo of your idol Annie Leibovitz in my site here.
Alex

Jul 01 05 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

David Alexandre

London, England, United Kingdom

love the portrait , mostly because one of the only few picture of her without her glasses...well done

Jul 01 05 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Hyperion, I have reached my limit in mail postings today so I cannot write to you except here. But I would like to tell you that the 6x7 cm format has been dear to me for 30 years. My fave lens is the 140mm Mamiya RB lens. I have two of them.
Alex

Jul 01 05 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by KM: 
Im a female photographer and everything is great, actually people find it amusing and models much more comfortable.

If a model is more comfortable working with a female photographer, I could just dress in drag. I'm a cute guy, so I'd make a hot girl. Not like Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie or anything.

But, you never know. As a lesbian friend of mine once said, "They weren't hot transvestites. They were more like Silence Of The Lambs transvestites."

Jul 01 05 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

Posted by KM: 

If a model is more comfortable working with a female photographer, I could just dress in drag. I'm a cute guy, so I'd make a hot girl. Not like Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie or anything.

But, you never know. As a lesbian friend of mine once said, "They weren't hot transvestites. They were more like Silence Of The Lambs transvestites."

I've seen your picture, you would be scary in drag. Of course my favorite drag artist, Dolly Levy, does a great Marilyn Manson...
Would it defeat the purpose if you dressed like Manson?

Jul 01 05 03:10 pm Link