Forums > Model Colloquy > ideal size for a plus model?

Model

Viktoria

Bethpage, New York, US

does anybody know the "ideal" size for a plus model as well as what the measurements for that size should be? ideal = most work. for instance, straight fashion models are ideally a 2  currently and 34-24-34 ideally.  from what i see on my agency's site plus size seems to range from 12 to 16... but what is "most bookable?"

Dec 06 08 06:19 pm Link

Model

SeDonna Cristina

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Size 14 is technically the most marketable by most agencies that represent plus models. Some use a 12 and some use a 16, but generally size 14 and in the 5'9-6'0 height range is 'perfect' plus size. I'm a 14 and my measurements are 44-32-44. Industry standard would be 44-34-44. As long as the hip and waist measurement are a minimum of 10 inches apart then you are in their requirements as far as 'numbers' go. Of course just because one is a plus size woman that fits those measurements doesn't make her automatically eligible to be a plus model if that makes any sense. There are more factors that go into plus modeling than the above listed 'requirements' or 'standards'. But that is probably the info you were looking for...Hope it helped some. smile

Dec 07 08 08:58 am Link

Model

Lane Morris

Los Angeles, California, US

SeDonna Cristina wrote:
Size 14 is technically the most marketable by most agencies that represent plus models. Some use a 12 and some use a 16, but generally size 14 and in the 5'9-6'0 height range is 'perfect' plus size. I'm a 14 and my measurements are 44-32-44. Industry standard would be 44-34-44. As long as the hip and waist measurement are a minimum of 10 inches apart then you are in their requirements as far as 'numbers' go. Of course just because one is a plus size woman that fits those measurements doesn't make her automatically eligible to be a plus model if that makes any sense. There are more factors that go into plus modeling than the above listed 'requirements' or 'standards'. But that is probably the info you were looking for...Hope it helped some. smile

agreed.
Agencies also use size 8/10, like me, but I am in the process of getting my measurements up.

Dec 07 08 11:11 am Link

Model

Viktoria

Bethpage, New York, US

thanks ladies!

Dec 07 08 05:51 pm Link

Model

Yolena

Do plus size models attend open calls too like other models or they have to submit their photos ? How do you know if an agency has a plus size department ? And what are the agencies that represent plus size models here in L.A ?
Thanks smile

Dec 07 08 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Check their websites, if you can't find any information, you can probably call and ask if they represent plus, and when their open calls are.

Dec 08 08 12:47 am Link

Model

Rachel S

Anchorage, Alaska, US

wow. I guess I could be a plus size. I wear a size 10 in some dresses.

Dec 08 08 12:56 am Link

Model

S-shay

Castle Point, Missouri, US

I've been wondering about my size also... I wear some 8/9 but can fit 10 dependant on the style/cut.  I've noticed that designers look for sizes smaller than 4 or larger than 10.

Dec 08 08 10:10 am Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

newmodels.com wrote:
General parameters for a plus model are height between 5'8" and 5'11", sizes 10 - 18. (Generally the New York market prefers smaller plus models in the 8-12 range, and the Los Angeles market favors 14/16's.)

Dec 08 08 10:29 am Link

Photographer

deek images

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

All about Plus Size modeling:
http://www.newmodels.com/Plus.html

ETA: It's not about what size you wear. We all know sizes vary massively between brands/designers. It's about inches - bust, waist, hip. Nothing to do with what size dress you wear.

Dec 08 08 10:31 am Link

Model

Victoria Leigh

The Woodlands, Texas, US

http://www.newmodels.com/Plus.html

Great reference written by our own Sita Mae Edwards

Dec 08 08 10:33 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Shyrel wrote:
Do plus size models attend open calls too like other models or they have to submit their photos ? How do you know if an agency has a plus size department ? And what are the agencies that represent plus size models here in L.A ?
Thanks smile

Each agency will list on their website what your options are to submit yourself.  Always go in person if you can.

In SoCal we have Ford, Wilhelmina, LA Models, Peak Models & Talent...ummm....I'm forgetting a couple I think.  Michelle?  Anybody?

Dec 08 08 10:45 am Link

Model

Michelle Renee

Sita Mae wrote:

Each agency will list on their website what your options are to submit yourself.  Always go in person if you can.

In SoCal we have Ford, Wilhelmina, LA Models, Peak Models & Talent...ummm....I'm forgetting a couple I think.  Michelle?  Anybody?

Brand, CESD, Rage, and Next.

The majority of these agencies see plus models the same way they do straight ones, through open calls or mail-in or electronic submissions.

I am full agreement with Sita that going in person is really preferable to submitting if possible. I know that most of the agencies in L.A. have either very specific open call times or submission practices and if you call any of them they will  let you know what they are, and most say so on their websites.

I am noticing the trend is changing a little. Some may disagree with me on this, but I am seeing that 12 is really the new 14. I would say that 10-14 are the sizes that are working the most anywhere right now, with the exception of fit, which is still an 18.

Dec 08 08 01:28 pm Link

Model

Yolena

Thanks so much for the help, I appreciate it smile
Once I have a strong portfolio I will check out those agencies but the issue with me is that I'm a plus size model according to the NY market but I'm in the L.A. market which make it harder for me to put myself in the plus size category.
But I guess all the models that are not editorial have to be in the plus size category. Right guys ? smile

Dec 08 08 11:57 pm Link

Model

ModelMayhem29

New York, New York, US

Shyrel wrote:
Once I have a strong portfolio I will check out those agencies but the issue with me is that I'm a plus size model according to the NY market but I'm in the L.A. market which make it harder for me to put myself in the plus size category.
But I guess all the models that are not editorial have to be in the plus size category. Right guys ? smile

no, just means they don't fit any catergory.  it's not like "well if im not a 2, then I can be a plus model"

Dec 09 08 12:02 am Link

Model

Yolena

Kamari Omerio -- NYC  wrote:

no, just means they don't fit any catergory.  it's not like "well if im not a 2, then I can be a plus model"

Thats right too but if you are not a 2, what else can you be ? smile

Dec 09 08 12:04 am Link

Photographer

Photos By Neef Fresh

New York, New York, US

id say sizes 10/12 with good body proportions

Dec 09 08 12:12 am Link

Photographer

Photos By Neef Fresh

New York, New York, US

Shyrel wrote:

you are a great size & are in great shape...i wish i were in L.A, id love to work with you...

Dec 09 08 12:14 am Link

Model

ModelMayhem29

New York, New York, US

Shyrel wrote:

a hobbyist. every model who doesn't fit agency requirements is free to get castings from the internet or network.  have to fit agency requirements to be with an agency, whether thats as a straight size model or a plus model.  saying just because you aren't a two then you are a plus model is the same as saying if you are under a size 10 then you are a straight size model.  neither is correct

Dec 09 08 12:20 am Link

Model

Yolena

NEEF FRESH wrote:

you are a great size & are in great shape...i wish i were in L.A, id love to work with you...

Awh thanks smile so what do you mean by a great size and great shape ?
You think I'm a plus size model or no ? smile
I love your work, it's amazing smile

Dec 09 08 12:25 am Link

Model

Yolena

a hobbyist. every model who doesn't fit agency requirements is free to get castings from the internet or network.  have to fit agency requirements to be with an agency, whether thats as a straight size model or a plus model.  saying just because you aren't a two then you are a plus model is the same as saying if you are under a size 10 then you are a straight size model.  neither is correct

You made a good point smile
So the model either got to gain weight and be a plus size model or loose weight to be a editorial model but there is also the commercial option that doesn't require any size smile

Dec 09 08 12:27 am Link

Model

ModelMayhem29

New York, New York, US

Shyrel wrote:

So the model either got to gain weight and be a plus size model or loose weight to be a editorial model but there is also the commercial option that doesn't require any size smile

pretty much go to agencies and see if they are interested.  guessing on the internet won't help much, the agencies if they are interested will put you in whatever catergory they want

Dec 09 08 12:29 am Link

Model

Michelle Renee

Shyrel wrote:

There is a little more to it than that. Just meeting a size requirement will still not be any type of guarantee toward gaining representation, there are so many more factors that go into it than that. I will give some examples:

1. Proportion/stats: Just being a size 12 is not enough, it is being a fit and toned size 12 that can bare a midriff if necessary. It means minimal to no stretch marks or cellulite. It means have a bust to waist to hip ratio that is desireable.

2. Hair/skin/teeth: All must be good. Hair must be versatile, and although it is not an absolute, most plus models seem to have quite long hair. Although I am not certain why that it, I know in my case, it balances out my larger frame, lol. Great skin and teeth are a must. Plus size models are generally "classic" type faces, rather than the more "interesting" or "angular" faces of straight high fashion.

3. You must offer and agency what they need at that moment. Is your size in demand at that time?? Your hair color?? Etc. Sometimes an agency only wants so many red-heads, and knows signing another is futile at that time, but maybe six months down the road her money making redhead leaves to have a baby. Timing can be everything.

These are just a few things. I will be honest, I did not look at your profile yet, but I will take a look and see if there is anything I can suggest in the area that you could be trying right now. I know just about everyone.

Dec 09 08 07:45 am Link

Model

Biana_Libertine

Brooklyn, New York, US

Shyrel wrote:
Thanks smile

It depends on what agency.  My agency has a specific time and day of the week for plus model open calls, held seperatley from the straight size open calls

Dec 09 08 07:47 am Link

Model

Biana_Libertine

Brooklyn, New York, US

Lexy Lee wrote:
wow. I guess I could be a plus size. I wear a size 10 in some dresses.

you don't have the height sad

Dec 09 08 07:48 am Link

Model

Biana_Libertine

Brooklyn, New York, US

Shyrel wrote:

Don't bother with the portfollio. I came to my agency with no portfollio and very little experience, they will help you get a book together and it will more than likely be more approperiate than something you can muster up yourself, or at least, that's what I'm told.

Dec 09 08 07:50 am Link

Model

Michelle Renee

OK, you are very cute with a nice figure, and you are right, you are a little small for L.A. market, but not by too much.

I would visit Ford and Wilhelmina. They have girls on the smaller end of the spectrum. But I will let you know, they are not agencies very interested in developing new plus models, most of their girls are seasoned pros, and I know many of them.

There are smaller agencies in the L.A. area that rep plus, and you could get your feet wet and see if you book, but I would say you are about a designer 8/10, and it might be hard getting an agent for plus here at that size, but again, you never know.

I would not, however, worry about shooting tons of new photos to take to an agency, as they will more than likely have your retest for your book and card. Plus you need to show more diversity in your hairstyle, it is virtually the same in every photo. Try some new looks if you continue shooting.

Dec 09 08 07:51 am Link

Model

Biana_Libertine

Brooklyn, New York, US

Shyrel wrote:

fit model, art model, fetish model, glam model, ect....

Dec 09 08 07:51 am Link

Model

Yolena

pretty much go to agencies and see if they are interested.  guessing on the internet won't help much, the agencies if they are interested will put you in whatever catergory they want

I will definitely do that and thanks again for making my mind clear about that plus size issue smile

Dec 09 08 08:32 am Link

Model

Yolena

Michelle Renee  wrote:

There is a little more to it than that. Just meeting a size requirement will still not be any type of guarantee toward gaining representation, there are so many more factors that go into it than that. I will give some examples:

1. Proportion/stats: Just being a size 12 is not enough, it is being a fit and toned size 12 that can bare a midriff if necessary. It means minimal to no stretch marks or cellulite. It means have a bust to waist to hip ratio that is desireable.

2. Hair/skin/teeth: All must be good. Hair must be versatile, and although it is not an absolute, most plus models seem to have quite long hair. Although I am not certain why that it, I know in my case, it balances out my larger frame, lol. Great skin and teeth are a must. Plus size models are generally "classic" type faces, rather than the more "interesting" or "angular" faces of straight high fashion.

3. You must offer and agency what they need at that moment. Is your size in demand at that time?? Your hair color?? Etc. Sometimes an agency only wants so many red-heads, and knows signing another is futile at that time, but maybe six months down the road her money making redhead leaves to have a baby. Timing can be everything.

These are just a few things. I will be honest, I did not look at your profile yet, but I will take a look and see if there is anything I can suggest in the area that you could be trying right now. I know just about everyone.

- The first part is ok for me, I don't have any issue with that.

- What do you mean exactly by hair must be versatile ? I recently cut off my hair and went natural so now I have the little afro type of hair u. Are braids a good idea for a portfolio ? I wanted to go with the ethnic look.
My skin is perfect and my teeth are not too bad either ( by great thing, you mean white teeth ? )
Thanks for all the details smile

Dec 09 08 08:53 am Link

Model

Yolena

Biana_Libertine wrote:

It depends on what agency.  My agency has a specific time and day of the week for plus model open calls, held seperatley from the straight size open calls

You see this is what I was talking about, agencies sure have specific time for plus size, some like Ford don't accept plus size on open calls. That what I wanted to have straight before head to agencies here in L.A.

Dec 09 08 08:56 am Link

Model

Yolena

Biana_Libertine wrote:

Don't bother with the portfollio. I came to my agency with no portfollio and very little experience, they will help you get a book together and it will more than likely be more approperiate than something you can muster up yourself, or at least, that's what I'm told.

Oh really ? So let me just search all the agencies here in L.A. that represent plus size and contact them for representation ? Please I still need your help guys to find out agencies that represent plus size models here in L.A. I got some already but the more I get will be better smile

Dec 09 08 09:00 am Link

Model

Yolena

Michelle Renee  wrote:
OK, you are very cute with a nice figure, and you are right, you are a little small for L.A. market, but not by too much.

I would visit Ford and Wilhelmina. They have girls on the smaller end of the spectrum. But I will let you know, they are not agencies very interested in developing new plus models, most of their girls are seasoned pros, and I know many of them.

There are smaller agencies in the L.A. area that rep plus, and you could get your feet wet and see if you book, but I would say you are about a designer 8/10, and it might be hard getting an agent for plus here at that size, but again, you never know.

I would not, however, worry about shooting tons of new photos to take to an agency, as they will more than likely have your retest for your book and card. Plus you need to show more diversity in your hairstyle, it is virtually the same in every photo. Try some new looks if you continue shooting.

Awh thanks smile
Yeah I thought the same thing that I was too small for the L.A market my size is 6-8, the size 10-12 doesn't fit at all but I can still work with it.
Oh thanks very much please visit them and let me know what they said smile

Please do you have some names of those small agencies that represent plus size models here in L.A ? Yeah I know it would be hard for me but I still gonna give a try and work my butt off until I make it smile

About my hairstyle, that was my latest shoot and I had braids at that time, so there was no way for me to change hairstyle but I'm planning on doing some more shoots with my new haircut I got smile

Dec 09 08 09:07 am Link

Model

Yolena

Biana_Libertine wrote:

fit model, art model, fetish model, glam model, ect....

I will definitely try fit model but I thought you must have a muscular body or at least some muscles to do fitness modeling ? Glam too is not bad but as long that it 's in a fashion style not too sexy style smile
The rest is just : No way for me !

Dec 09 08 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Shyrel wrote:
- The first part is ok for me, I don't have any issue with that.

- What do you mean exactly by hair must be versatile ? I recently cut off my hair and went natural so now I have the little afro type of hair u. Are braids a good idea for a portfolio ? I wanted to go with the ethnic look.
My skin is perfect and my teeth are not too bad either ( by great thing, you mean white teeth ? )
Thanks for all the details smile

Does this picture best show what you look like?
https://modelmayhm-3.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/081116/03/491fe006f044b.jpg

What you wanted to go for and what sales are probably 2 different things.

It's not about YOU, it's about selling the companies clothing and what works for that.

You need to look at ads continuously to see what DOES sell look wise

Dec 09 08 09:18 am Link

Model

samantha manus

i hate being a tweener. not plus, not fashion model size....im stuck at a dress size 4, cant get to 2 so far. size 5 pants. ugh. measurements 34-27-36. im all over the place. it would def. be easier to get up to plus size rather than down to fashion size. anyways...ya. being a tweener sucks sad

Dec 09 08 09:33 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Shyrel wrote:
Oh really ? So let me just search all the agencies here in L.A. that represent plus size and contact them for representation ? Please I still need your help guys to find out agencies that represent plus size models here in L.A. I got some already but the more I get will be better smile

Read the thread, Shyrel.  Michelle and I have already given you a list of eight agencies in Southern California that rep plus girls.

Sita Mae wrote:

Michelle Renee  wrote:
Brand, CESD, Rage, and Next.

Dec 09 08 09:43 am Link

Model

Beauty Redefined

Brooklyn, New York, US

You guys give such great advice... I love it smile

Dec 09 08 09:48 am Link

Model

Yolena

Sita Mae wrote:

Shyrel wrote:

Read the thread, Shyrel.  Michelle and I have already given you a list of eight agencies in Southern California that rep plus girls.

Sita Mae wrote:

Yeah I did write all those agencies down and did some research about them already. I was just wondering if anyone else would like to add more agencies. The more the better but while waiting I will try those ones
Thanks again smile

Dec 09 08 06:19 pm Link

Model

Yolena

LADY SWEET FACE wrote:

Does this picture best show what you look like?
https://modelmayhm-3.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/081116/03/491fe006f044b.jpg

What you wanted to go for and what sales are probably 2 different things.

It's not about YOU, it's about selling the companies clothing and what works for that.

You need to look at ads continuously to see what DOES sell look wise

Yeah I have to admit that the photo is kinda blah and doesn't really show what I look like. I will check out more magazines next time before the shoot and thanks for reminding me smile

Dec 09 08 06:21 pm Link