Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Jobs that you know allow piercings & tattoos

Model

Shyla Suicide

Westminster, Colorado, US

So just curious..what are some "average" paying jobs out that you know piercings and tattoos are allowed at?!
For example, I'm currently working at Blockbuster which allows it...but I don't plan on staying there too much longer.
So where are some places or even just areas of work that I should start looking into for a new job?

Jan 22 09 12:42 am Link

Photographer

J Vida

Toledo, Ohio, US

Shyla Suicide wrote:
So just curious..what are some "average" paying jobs out that you know piercings and tattoos are allowed at?!
For example, I'm currently working at Blockbuster which allows it...but I don't plan on staying there too much longer.
So where are some places or even just areas of work that I should start looking into for a new job?

I'm a game designer smile For certain occasions we dawn our suits, but for the most part we're sporting our ink and steel.

Oh wait, you said average paying...nevermind smile

Jan 22 09 12:45 am Link

Model

Shyla Suicide

Westminster, Colorado, US

Jose G Photo wrote:

I'm a game designer smile For certain occasions we dawn our suits, but for the most part we're sporting our ink and steel.

Oh wait, you said average paying...nevermind smile

well you need to go to school for that, correct? Alright, so in the mean time, what jobs?

Jan 22 09 12:49 am Link

Photographer

J Vida

Toledo, Ohio, US

Shyla Suicide wrote:

well you need to go to school for that, correct? Alright, so in the mean time, what jobs?

Let me fill you in on a secret. You don't NEED to go to school to work in the Gaming Industry. You simply have to be good at...well...something. I started as a tester and things went up from there. But still, on our team of 25 only...3 guys have a degree in the design field. Hell, my degree is in musical education lol

Jan 22 09 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Paul Bryson Photography

Hollywood, Florida, US

Shyla Suicide wrote:

Depends on the management...

Jan 22 09 12:54 am Link

Photographer

Yvette PhotoDesigns

Miami, Florida, US

Jose G Photo wrote:

Let me fill you in on a secret. You don't NEED to go to school to work in the Gaming Industry. You simply have to be good at...well...something. I started as a tester and things went up from there. But still, on our team of 25 only...3 guys have a degree in the design field. Hell, my degree is in musical education lol

Hmmmm get paid to play all day I'm in sign me up!!

Jan 22 09 01:04 am Link

Model

Account DeeLeeted

London, England, United Kingdom

I find wherever I work, I just start out looking respectable and gradually work my dress sense, etc, up to the way I usually dress and see how far I can push it.

You'd be surprised what you can get away with!

(Saying that, I've only one piercing and I can say with absolute certainty that none of my work colleagues are ever going to see it.... >.

Jan 22 09 01:40 am Link

Model

Saffron G

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Bodypeircer or tattooist? Probably the only job whre more is better.. I feel like if a peircer or tattooist has a lot themselves, they know thier s*** smile

XXOOXX

Jan 22 09 02:25 am Link

Photographer

Bad_Karma_Photo

Laguna Niguel, California, US

Charlotte Thorburn wrote:
I find wherever I work, I just start out looking respectable and gradually work my dress sense, etc, up to the way I usually dress and see how far I can push it.

You'd be surprised what you can get away with!

(Saying that, I've only one piercing and I can say with absolute certainty that none of my work colleagues are ever going to see it.... >.

Jan 22 09 02:33 am Link

Photographer

Suzanne Tak Photography

London, England, United Kingdom

It's interesting actually-my best friend is an accountant and we were discussing tattoos the other day.
She was saying how many people in her office have visible tattoos (arms and wrists mostly) creeping out from under their suits.
I think it's becoming way more regular.
The interview is prob the time to cover them up and then once the job is secure start showing them off!

Jan 22 09 05:35 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

MMM... waitress, record store, trendy boutique, warehouse work, bar back, bartender.
Love  your  ink BTW.

Jan 22 09 06:23 am Link

Photographer

MegSchutz

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm a receptionist at a travel agency and I rock my tattoos almost daily. Also were allowed to show them at Target, various nice sit down restaurants, and Panera. Really it just depends on your boss and what kind of ink you're showing.

But the key is definitely to show up to an interview looking cute and conservative then slowly let the ink show. Chances are they won't be fussy about it. Not all the time of course, but chances are...

Jan 22 09 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

A rule of thumb:  the more the job requires interactions with the public, the less likely that tattoos & piercings will be tolerated.  No one cares if the guy stocking the shelves after hours or the guy working back in the warehouse looks like, but if the job is greeting the conservative business men or selling insurance or whatever, you don't want rough looking people in those jobs.

For a couple of decades, I worked as a software engineer, and for the most part, we had limited face-to-face interactions with customers (we did interact on the phone or via e-mail) -- no one cared what we looked like or how we dressed (within reason, of course -- managed frowned upon naked Mondays).  Later, I telecommuted -- I even worked in my sweat pants & t-shirt -- no one cared.

Jan 22 09 08:36 am Link

Model

Heather_G

Victoria, Texas, US

Hot Topic!

Jan 22 09 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Magnus Hedemark

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Paul Bryson Photography wrote:

Depends on the management...

This is the correct answer.

My day job is in Information Technology.  I have worked for big companies and small.  Right now I work for a particularly big one.  The last big company I worked for allowed me to wear a septum ring, tattoos, a kilt, long hair, etc.

My current management is more conservative, though it is certainly not company wide.  I have been told to hide my piercings.  They don't mind the tattoos.  No more kilt.  I've gotten comments that my hair is getting too long but no explicit directives to get it cut (I am growing it out right now).  When I had a mohawk they didn't care as long as I kept it under a hat all day.

All of the restrictions on me right now come from mid-level management.  People in my building under a different chain of command have more or less restrictions depending on who they work under.

Jan 22 09 08:48 am Link

Model

Cadence Rose

Greenfield, Massachusetts, US

Target is piercing and tattoo friendly.

Anything in food (fast food, grocery store cashier) is most likely not.

Maybe try another video store besides Blockbuster? Unless you don't want that kind of job again.

Jan 22 09 10:13 am Link

Model

Art W

Abingdon, Maryland, US

Heather_G wrote:
Hot Topic!

I think they require tats & piercings.

Jan 22 09 10:15 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

At my future radiation therapist job, I am allowed to have discrete piercings - ie. nostril, eyebrow or hidden, of course. Same with tattoos. If you don't see it, it's fine.

I work at a pharmacy, and nobody has complained about my nostril piercing.

Jan 22 09 10:17 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

__Rose wrote:
Anything in food (fast food, grocery store cashier) is most likely not.

Grocery store cashier? From my experience and what I've seen, a lot of them allow piercings.

Jan 22 09 10:18 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I have a full on corporate gig in the financial district in LA in one of those buildings with more tight-laced lawyers in it than stairs, and I wear my big ol' Indian nose stud to work every day anyway, and never bother trying to cover up the tattoo on my wrist.  The CEO came and had lunch with me and a couple of other people a month ago, and he didn't bat an eye.

Jan 22 09 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Shyla Suicide wrote:

A lot of corporate jobs don't seem to care what you look like, as long as you're qualified and do the job, or at least (form what it seems) investment companies and bank corporate jobs don't care.

smile

Jan 22 09 10:22 am Link

Photographer

S

Andrew Thomas Designs wrote:

A lot of corporate jobs don't seem to care what you look like, as long as you're qualified and do the job, or at least (form what it seems) investment companies and bank corporate jobs don't care.

smile

Yep.  In my experience it's dependent on whether your office gets a lot of outside traffic.  In my field, clients never - ever - come to our office, so nobody really cares.  I could probably dye my hair purple and it wouldn't phase anyone.

When I worked in resort development we had heavy foot traffic, and I had to leave my piercings at home.

Depends on the industry, and of course on how straight and narrow the bosses are!

Jan 22 09 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Sita Mae wrote:
Yep.  In my experience it's dependent on whether your office gets a lot of outside traffic.  In my field, clients never - ever - come to our office, so nobody really cares.  I could probably dye my hair purple and it wouldn't phase anyone.

Pretty much, however they are a little sticky sometimes about a dresscode, but shit, I feel if you pay me that much money I can at least dress how they want.

smile

Jan 22 09 10:26 am Link

Model

Rachel Dashae

Phone jobs, and a lot of office jobs I've heard don't really care. Some retail places as well.

Jan 22 09 10:27 am Link

Model

Vinyl doll

i was a quality control auditing clerk for USPS [3 years]
smile when i had dreads...

its amazing how much more open minded employers are being now

also, target, walmart, and restaurants [but you have to wear those cover up bands....for that...]

Jan 22 09 10:48 am Link

Model

Vinyl doll

Heather_G wrote:
Hot Topic!

i use to call that the evil store because it just urks me.

hahah...

[ok i still do]

goth in a kit? haha...give me a break...

oh and spencers gifts doesnt care smile [thats a cool store]

Jan 22 09 10:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rachel Lisa

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Um, MUA and photographer! People just chalk it up to us being flaky and creative.

Jan 22 09 10:53 am Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

I'm in Graphic design and I'm one of the least tattooed people in my company.

Jan 22 09 10:58 am Link

Photographer

When Shutters Click

Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada

Depends on the job/the company honestly... and if they are desperate for workers, that also helps.

I worked for a grocery store chain, in the bakery department. That store allowed tattoos, but they generally had to be covered up. Piercings were only allowed in the ears if you were female; none if you were male. I screwed up that rule when I was hired and during my employment. I got a eyebrow piercing(the store manager was always in our department and talking to me..but apparently never noticed and my boss said nothing when I went "hey look what i did this weekend!") and didn't get fired. While a girl in the deli was told to take her nose piercing out only a few months prior by the store manager. A guy in the dairy department had two nose piercings, three eyebrow piercings and covered in tattoos. He wore big rings in his nose too..he still got hired and I believe still works there.

I work for a theatre society and started off in the box office/ushering. The box office manager doesn't discriminate against tattoos or piercings. Almost all of the younger staff have piercings and tattoos in plain view. We dealt with elderly people A LOT, but none of them seem to mind. The box office and ushering staff are even allowed to have weird coloured hair..I once had punk purple and punk red hair, and had an elderly customer tell me how she loved it so much and wanted to do it to her hair too!

I've been hired for cafe jobs despite them having a rule about only allowing ear piercings..because they were desperate for workers.

Even now, I still work for the theatre society but I'm the Admin Assistant/Marketing in the office. I don't dye my hair as crazy(but I still have punk colours and crazy dye jobs)..but even though I'm the first person a client sees when they come into the office and they could've hired someone with more experience, older(I was 20 at the time) and with no tattoos or piercings..I still got the job. Cuz I'm considerate, I ask them before I do anything -really- crazy with my hair, but so far I've had the greenlight for whatever I do. I've gone away for the weekend to the mainland and come back with more piercings(though they weren't planned) and they don't even bat an eye.

I have friends who deliver food or work as waiters/waitresses in fancy restaurants..who are covered in tattoos and have facial piercings.

If you have the skills they want, tattoos/piercings shouldn't keep you from getting the job.

Jan 22 09 11:31 am Link

Model

The Art Of Emily Muse

Portland, Arkansas, US

There's a few CD and music stores around here that allow their staff to sport "alternative" looks.

Jan 22 09 11:33 am Link

Model

Heather LeStabbityDeath

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Anything 'alternative' retail-- Hot topic, some music or art stores. Some coffee shops.

Some insurance companies and other large corporations don't care what you look like if you're not interacting with people-- so call centers, mail sorters, stuff like that.

Check Kinkgo's, my friends Kim and Steve worked there for awhile, and they're both visibly tattooed, and kim had plenty of junk in her face.

Waitressing and bartending, they generally don't care what you look like as long as you're good at your job.  Most cooks aren't allowed to have a lot of piercings, for fear of jewelry coming loose while they are cooking.

edit: In Chicago, you should have a lot more options open to you.

Jan 22 09 11:57 am Link

Model

Heather LeStabbityDeath

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Saffron G wrote:
Bodypeircer or tattooist? Probably the only job whre more is better.. I feel like if a peircer or tattooist has a lot themselves, they know thier s*** smile

XXOOXX

lol
That's exactly it.
I always have to show my piercing scars, so people understand that me, the piercer, has experienced pretty much every piercing that they could possibly want...
But personally, I look like shit with 3 eyebrow rings, my lips and my monroe, a nose ring, 17 cartilage piercings in one ear, 4 navel piercings, surface piercings anywhere they can go...

Also, thanks to my mutant healing skills, I'll reject 9 piercings out of 10.

Jan 22 09 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jade Noir

San Antonio, Texas, US

I've seen some people with piercings and tatts working at Target.

Jan 22 09 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

NYB

Albany, New York, US

I saw a cashier working at K-Mart with more tattoos than I have ever seen. He even had letters on his knuckles!

Jan 22 09 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

toss in a beanie and head to your local apple store.

Jan 22 09 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

TarahDawson

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

hmmm, well hottopic, obviously. tongue in my town there's a local pizza shop. Um tattoo parlors... I can't really think of many chains that do. If I were you I'd just try to pay attention to places you go where you've seen people have them and then apply there.

Jan 22 09 12:34 pm Link

Model

Cadence Rose

Greenfield, Massachusetts, US

pixie toxique wrote:

Grocery store cashier? From my experience and what I've seen, a lot of them allow piercings.

I guess it depends on the store. I know a lot of Big Y employees from many stores, and they are very strict there. Only ears pierced, no showing tattoos. Many of their other rules not concerning piercings are equally as strict. That may be because the owner of the stores in my area does not allow them, and other owners do.

Jan 22 09 01:31 pm Link

Model

Bon voyage

Los Angeles, California, US

Shyla Suicide wrote:

They probably wouldnt allow it at the shop I'm in now, but when I was delivering pizza for less corporate places I had piercings in my lip, nose, and visible tattoos when I was wearing shorts.

At that time, I was getting 5.25 an hour on paycheck, plus gas reimbursement per delivery, plus tips...usually averaged out to 10-15 an hour and mostly in cash.  Plus free/discounted food.

Jan 22 09 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

SICK GIRL PHOTOGRAPHY

Venice, Florida, US

I worked at Albertsons and Target with tattoos on my hands.

Jan 22 09 01:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Brittany Ludwig

Oceanside, California, US

I work at Sam Ash and we work on commission sales and everyone that works there has tattoos.

Jan 22 09 06:43 pm Link