Forums > General Industry > Some of the Models are not really here on this site

Photographer

D Fish

Springfield, Missouri, US

I have a feeling that internet mananges / photographers are posting for them and reading the mail that should go to them. Some of the model may not have a clue there images and profiles are here online. Its sad people are like that.

Jul 08 05 02:27 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

David...

Would you care to enlighten us as to which models you think are being duped on this site?  Have you received correspondance from one or more who you are suspicious of?  Come on dude... blow the whistle!

Jul 08 05 02:39 am Link

Photographer

D Fish

Springfield, Missouri, US

Im sure the IP server log will tell you that but read the shout box and the main page. You will notice. Also I have got a few email that seemed a little out of place.

Jul 08 05 02:43 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

I have got my torch ready,  watch out Frankenstein has been training and he could run now.

Jul 08 05 07:18 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

I'm sure you're right.  Let's hope that MM never goes to "model managers" as OMP did.

Paul

Jul 08 05 11:09 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 
I'm sure you're right.  Let's hope that MM never goes to "model managers" as OMP did.

Paul

LOL...It's way too late for that.

Jul 08 05 11:14 am Link

Photographer

NWDigphoto

Federal Way, Washington, US

I wish that Model Managers had to disclose that they will be screening our e-mails before they send it on to the Model...

I think that being up front is the best policy.

Jul 08 05 11:20 am Link

Model

Model Mayhem

El Segundo, California, US

We are thinking of implementing a plan for Managers/Agents that Matthew Grogan suggested when we first started this site.  It just took me this long to see the light.  Anyways, we are going to add a Manager/Agent category to the site, but charge a pretty solid monthly fee to have this special acocunt.  This way we get rid of the freaks and phoneys tongue  And then go ban crazy at the slightest hint of any other account (Photographer, Model, etc) actually being a manager.

This wont stop managers from creating fake profiles for their models though.  That is something that's pretty hard to deter unless you get some kind of time consuming validation system setup.

Jul 08 05 11:21 am Link

Photographer

CocoBongo

Mountain View, Arkansas, US

I get a feeling this site will become a pay site soon ...

I actually hope it does become a pay site, its obvious alot of the new signups are not even close to being models or photographers ...

Jul 08 05 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Charging a $10 fee to everyone and I mean everyone, will take away much of the fake pages.  Even a $5 fee for everyone to sign up. 

Jul 08 05 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Tyler: 
We are thinking of implementing a plan for Managers/Agents that Matthew Grogan suggested when we first started this site.  It just took me this long to see the light.  Anyways, we are going to add a Manager/Agent category to the site, but charge a pretty solid monthly fee to have this special acocunt.  This way we get rid of the freaks and phoneys tongue  And then go ban crazy at the slightest hint of any other account (Photographer, Model, etc) actually being a manager.

This wont stop managers from creating fake profiles for their models though.  That is something that's pretty hard to deter unless you get some kind of time consuming validation system setup.

This is an awesome idea Tyler!

Jul 08 05 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by Tyler: 

This definately has my vote - the sooner the better! smile
Make the pimps pay through the nose.

John

Jul 08 05 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by John Allan: 

Posted by Tyler: 

This definately has my vote - the sooner the better! smile
Make the pimps pay through the nose.

John

But I agree make the pimps pay more.

Jul 08 05 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

Posted by Tyler: 

Are we to assume that by Manager/Agent you mean bona fide, verifiable managers and agents? If so, bring it on!

Jul 08 05 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jwill266

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Yes I do post pics of my daughter on her port, and reply sometimes while she sits next to me and tells me what to say. My daughter reads all mail for her self. As her dad and photograher I do monitor what is going on which is only prudent in todays world.

Jul 08 05 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Posted by Jwill266: 
Yes I do post pics of my daughter on her port, and reply sometimes while she sits next to me and tells me what to say. My daughter reads all mail for her self. As her dad and photograher I do monitor what is going on which is only prudent in todays world.

This is a little different than what is being suggested/discussed here. How old is your daughter, and do you disclose that her father is proxying her emails?

Jul 08 05 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 
Charging a $10 fee to everyone and I mean everyone, will take away much of the fake pages.  Even a $5 fee for everyone to sign up.   

If this happens, I really hope Tyler makes money order payment an option. My credit cards are maxed out and I don't have a bank account. sad

Jul 08 05 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

CharliesImages

Raleigh, Illinois, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

uh. . . isn't this the exact same thing some of you OMP bashers have been whining about?

Jul 08 05 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

I just hate when a new model page comes up, and it's written all in 3rd person. 

Model X is very professional and always shows up on time....

Model Z has done several fashion shows and is only accepting Pay Shoots at this time. 

Why not use the good ol' I am very profession etc... I am only accepting pay shoots...
When I see it in 3rd person, alot of times I wont email them, simply because I don't know if it's actually them, or a "manager" for them.   

Jul 08 05 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Sylvester

Fairfield, Ohio, US

Not quite. On other sites, models don't pay.

I certainly wouldn't have any problems shelling out a modest amount IF and ONLY IF everybody else pays the same.  Please, no "tiered" memberships.

Jul 08 05 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by CharliesImages: 

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

uh. . . isn't this the exact same thing some of you OMP bashers have been whining about?

I am a pooper on er not a basher.  There is a big difference in trying to run a business and doing it badly.

But let us not go down that road.  But a simple but small fee would take away so many of the problems on sites such as this.  If you can 20 images and only pay 5 or 10 bucks a year then I think that is more than a fair deal.   The disscussion here is how to get rid of the obvious scam artists and fake ports.

I think the leveled membership for model managers and agencies is just and make sense.  But other forms are silly and breed resentment.  Not that I do not mind breeding but that is another topic. 

Oh, yeah,  and I am sooo much in the hater crowd that you speak of.,  a bit of truth is not the same as the bashing that I agree has happened.

Get a clue,  Charlie.

Jul 08 05 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Please keep the site free. sad Or at least free for the first month of signup, or something. This is such a great place for networking, and I'm so broke. sad

Jul 08 05 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by Tony Sharp: 
Please keep the site free. sad Or at least free for the first month of signup, or something. This is such a great place for networking, and I'm so broke. sad

It comes out to 27 cents a day.  Maybe we need to increase the price at the lemonade stand.

Jul 08 05 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

M B

Chicago, Illinois, US

Bay Area Talent is doing this. The site looks like the model put it up, but it was clear she was never part of the correspondence. They stink up the site.

Jul 08 05 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Jwill266: 
Yes I do post pics of my daughter on her port, and reply sometimes while she sits next to me and tells me what to say.

Seems like at 15 she's old enough to type.

Paul

Jul 08 05 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

Posted by Tony Sharp: 

It comes out to 27 cents a day.  Maybe we need to increase the price at the lemonade stand.

I am DEADLY broke. Every nickle I make has to go to college bills, credit card bills, film production charges, etc. I can't even afford lemonade. I'm drinking a glass of water right now.

Jul 08 05 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

you want to hear something sad, I don't know if I can afford $10 a month...
even a year...
Star

Jul 08 05 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

10 a year or 5 a year, not a month.  27.3972 cents a day,  $5 a day would be 13.6986 cents a day.

But, why are you humans running around like chickens with your heads cut off just because a rude dog, barks up a storm?

You humans frighten easy.

Jul 08 05 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Star: 

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

even a year...
Star

I'm in a similar boat. As more and more models adapt the "we shouldn't have to pay for pictures" philosophy, it's becoming increasingly difficult for us photographers to make money on a freelance level.

Jul 08 05 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Posted by Jwill266: 

So...which one is Edgar Bergen and which one Charlie McCarthy?

Jul 08 05 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by Tony Sharp: 

Posted by Star: 

I'm in a similar boat. As more and more models adapt the "we shouldn't have to pay for pictures" philosophy, it's becoming increasingly difficult for us photographers to make money on a freelance level. 

We could start a scholorship fund.  But even I know that I need my human to poopy scoop and get rid of the bad left over waste once in while.

Jul 08 05 02:27 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

This is really a site discussion, but anyway...

I like the idea of charging managers a sign-up fee and deleting all profiles set up by an outside party. Exceptions for minors with parental supervision are fine.

Jul 08 05 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

I think alot of the models also put up a profile and never come back, but I have only been a member here a week so maybe its just me haha.

Jul 08 05 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Merlyn Magic Photo

Long Beach, California, US

Posted by Star: 

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

even a year...
Star

Star:
At $10/yr I'll spot you, your style is wonderful. $10/month... well I think I'd need to get some tutoring for that :-)

Jul 08 05 03:19 pm Link

Model

modelmayhemmodel

New York, New York, US

I am with the "I can not afford it crowd."

A girl needs to eat.

Jul 08 05 03:36 pm Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

Frankly, I think models just need to be more aware of what their managers are doing and discontinuing the association if said manager is not adequately responding to their queries. Obviously, some will lie well and not everyone is a particularly good judge of character but if you are trusting someone with your career, your public image- you better be sure you know what that person is doing in order to promote you and how much they're asking, what their cut is, etc.

There are lots of good, smart models out there who have managers but also read all of their mail, respond to photographers in whom they're interested in working with, etc. Unfortunately, the bad managers are (or at least seem) to be greater in number.

Have other sites that charged a fee had success in eliminating the bad seeds? There are still lots of GWCs that pay the fees and try to run with the big boys and girls.

Jul 08 05 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jwill266

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Seems like at 15 she's old enough to type.

Paul Ferrar

Off coarse she is old enough to type smarty pants. We are very close. We sit together and update images and check her mail somtimes while I'm updating them. Is there some underlying reason why you might be uposed to such a thing?

Jul 08 05 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Some of the photographers are not really here either. 

....   I often wonder if I am really here! 

tongue

Jul 08 05 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

Posted by Patrick Walberg: 
Some of the photographers are not really here either. 

....   I often wonder if I am really here! 

tongue

Where is here ?

Jul 08 05 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Posted by MichaelBell: 
I think alot of the models also put up a profile and never come back, but I have only been a member here a week so maybe its just me haha.

This site requires registration, "proof" of age and a minimum 4 image upload in order to see other images on the site (although I may be mistaken on the last one). Teenage boys are going to gravitate towards any site with women's breasts that can be viewed for free, even if there's the "overhead" of registration. MM has done as much as they can on this without it becoming a burden to legitimate users.

Hotmail accounts have a 90 day "use it or lose it" policy. Maybe a similar policy should be effected here. And by use it I mean keeping your (model or photog) portfolio updated and forum participation. (I don't think I'm asking too much on this second item. Everybody has something to say....)

Jul 08 05 06:19 pm Link