Forums > General Industry > TFP and poor negoiating...

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

I recently commented to a fitness model, I liked her look and considering I was expanding my fitness portfolio if there was anything I could do for her ...let me know.

She replied, she 'loved' my work and 'couldnt wait to work with me'.
then said her rates were $100 per hour, needed edited images and all raw material... was this acceptable?

Shocked, I said it wasnt acceptable and wished her luck after I suggested I wouldnt work for free let alone less than free...

I was told my answer was harsh and not in the spirit of negoiation...

Can anyone out ther tell me who is daffed here... I am new to this business but not business in general. I am not used to going to work and then having to pay for the privilege ...

Jul 08 05 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

It sounds like your message to her was a little ambiguous so that's what led to the exchange.  She was in the right to offer her rates and you were correct in declining to pay them.  If you were willing to pay her something, then you probably were a little harsh.  If not, then no big deal.  In the future, if a model has a nice port, make sure you specify TFP in your initial message.

Paul

Jul 08 05 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

good reply Paul.  upon reading how you worded your offer here Cameron, it does seem that you were offering TFP...

Posted by Cameron Watson: 
I recently commented to a fitness model, I liked her look and considering I was expanding my fitness portfolio if there was anything I could do for her...let me know.

so i think her response was a way of (not so subtly) letting you know although she likes your work, she wasn't interested in TFP.

Jul 08 05 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Scott Visual

My favorites are the models that expect to be paid for the privilege of filling the member area on their paysites.

Problem being, especially in the fitness industry, there are so many "schmotographers" (a GWC subspecie) that not only pay the models, they give them ALL of the images as well.

Some of these girls need to learn that not everyone is a schmoe, and real photographers aren't walking talking ATMs.

Jul 08 05 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Posted by JHoward:
that not only pay the models, they give them ALL of the images as well...

you are so right.  i get so sick of the models i pay to shoot asking me or better yet sometimnes even trying to demand they get copies of the pics.  they change their minds quick when i tell them yes they can get every image, but they have to invest 50/50 with me on the shoot.  then it's a different story...

Jul 09 05 12:03 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Shocked, I said it wasnt acceptable and wished her luck after I suggested I wouldnt work for free let alone less than free...

Did you actually hint something negative about this model in your responce that triggered her to write back to say that your comments were harsh?

I think Cleveland is right... probably it was her was of saying that she'd love to work with you IF it involved pay.  You were also in the right of declining, but I don't know if it was right to be "harsh" about it if you were actually being that way?

Jul 09 05 12:53 am Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Luv, Cleveland, and Paul - awesome advice. I would add that in the spirit of "negotiation" there is usually more than one exchange (ie - You: I want to work with you for free. Her: Pay me and I want images.) what should have followed was "Hm. Well you can either have the images or the pay" and so on and so forth, that's negotiation.

In other words, do NOT do this - You: I want to work with you for free. Her: That's nice. Pay me and I want images. You: Screw off. Her: Screw off. (Which is what it sounds like happened.) That isn't negotiation. That isn't professional

Of course, if you're only interested in TFP/CD, and made that clear, be prepared for the model to say, "Thank you but no" or "Thank you but here are my rates". At which point you can say, "Sorry, only looking for TFP/CD" and find another model who will work TFP/CD

Jul 09 05 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

It sounds to me like she told you to "screw off" first, and when you told her to "screw off" back her "feelings" were suddely hurt.  That is to say, she's used to GWCs and other subspeicies falling over themselves to give her whatever she wants.  My bet is that she'll be calling you soon; when she does, make sure to give her YOUR rates.

Jul 09 05 01:45 am Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

I had implied TFP and was willing to do so...her demands to be paid plus receive all the raw images with edited prints caught me off guard. She asked the question if it was acceptable? I my response was no it wasn't acceptable, suggested why and wished her luck... the exchanges detriorated from there.

I could have handled it differently and was perhaps a little harsh... but its hard not be bothered by comments like "have you even considered I would allow you use my image in your port?"

I have been paid by some fabulous models to help with their portfolios and they are so graceous and flattered to have some of the at work displayed or carried in my portfolio...

In my other life, with years of customer service experience, I have never come accross anything like this business. i guess I just need to get used to less than famous 'models' wanting the star treatment and somehow believe they are doing the photographer a favour by expecting to be paid, have all services supplied and then giving up all the goods to...

TFP did wonders for me early on and I still enjoy doing it when the circumstance right. but my paying clients are still by far the easiest to deal with...

Jul 09 05 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Thank you all for your perspectives here... I have learned much thus far especially in my choice of words... forums, shout boxes, announcements, email, msn, yahoo etc combined with my horrible typing skills have made me lazy sometimes and I dont write what i would say if it were a real conversation... it gives me something to think about.

Jul 09 05 07:56 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hmmmm. If I get paid...I don't expect copyright or even any photos...I may ask if the photographer wants to send me one or two web sized images to post.
If I am doing TFP, I work individually with each artist, keeping in mind that it is an exchange of talents and neither one of us could create art without the other...that is why I am extremely selective about TFP's.

Jul 09 05 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

The problem with scenarios like this is that they can turn into smear campaigns against you down the road. "Oh I tried to work with so-and-so but he's a jerk..." If you do try to work with someone and she refuses on the grounds of your "reputation" then dig a little deeper to find out why.

Jul 09 05 08:08 am Link

Photographer

BarryH

Taipei City, Taipei City, Taiwan

I wouldn't let anyone else have access to, much less control over, my raw work.  I want to show good work, and every photographer has bad images.  It's like an editor telling a writer that he can never cross out a sentence.

As for the $100: if you pay, what you're normally paying her for is the waiving of most or all rights.

Jul 09 05 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

I am not interested in letting anyone have my raw work either. When I started and not understanding TFP I gave away all the images... some have appeared unedited and is ... well less than pleasing!

Jul 09 05 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

You know, when you pay a model, you have FULL control of the images. So she has no rights to them unless you grant them.

I think some of you all tend to forget that.

Jul 09 05 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

Even when I TFCD, which I do alot- if  I'm into the model,
I only give no more than 10 images that I have corrected, edited and tagged.
I learned the hard way how clueless some models are about editing, color correcting and overall presenting their/my work.

Jul 09 05 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by BarryH: 
I want to show good work,...

Like the fat girl showing her snatch?  Let's be serious.

Paul

Jul 09 05 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 

Posted by BarryH: 

Paul

Way to go...flame on Human Torch!  Keep those negative vibes flowing!

Jul 09 05 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 

Posted by BarryH: 

Paul

HAHAHA!! Stop it, you're killing me! HAHAHA!!!

Jul 09 05 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

I love fat girls and I love snatch.

Jul 09 05 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

I have never come accross anything like this business. i guess I just need to get used to less than famous 'models' wanting the star treatment and somehow believe they are doing the photographer a favour by expecting to be paid, have all services supplied and then giving up all the goods to...

I, too, am often blown away by the nerve and arrogance of some of these models, many of whom have been spoiled by horny, lecherous, GWC's.  Is there all that much difference between the photography that many of them do and spending wads of money on the pole girls in the titty bars? 

Jul 09 05 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Alot of this can be avoided although most people naturally just presume what they want if the information isn't there to read.

Even though Cameron's wording may sound like a TFP offer you can't presume the model can read his thoughts.

Many misread what's typed or misunderstand it if it isn't spelled out for them. In turn this miscommunication can lead to someone being insulted and that's when the tempers flare. When that occurs you now have someone out there who is going to talk you down to others, just human nature.

To avoid this it's always best to convey the terms of what you're offering. There was probably a good chance this could have ended better than it did.

You aren't daffed, lol. It's just part of learning from your mistakes.

Jul 09 05 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

Posted by BarryH: 
IAs for the $100: if you pay, what you're normally paying her for is the waiving of most or all rights.

sorry dude, she has no automatic "rights" to the images whether youpay her or not. The photographer owns the copyright from the moment that shutter is pushed. He/She can only "give away" - like a moron - those rights. We've had a few hundred posts on this subject

Jul 09 05 02:54 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by vanscottie: 

Posted by BarryH: 
IAs for the $100: if you pay, what you're normally paying her for is the waiving of most or all rights.

sorry dude, she has no automatic "rights" to the images whether youpay her or not. The photographer owns the copyright from the moment that shutter is pushed. He/She can only "give away" - like a moron - those rights. We've had a few hundred posts on this subject

While a model does not have copyrights or usage rights for the images, she still has other rights.

Jul 09 05 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

Posted by theda: 

Posted by vanscottie: 

Posted by BarryH: 

While a model does not have copyrights or usage rights for the images, she still has other rights.

Of course she does. Most companies would require a model release of some sort before they buy an image from a photographer.

Robert

Jul 09 05 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

BarryH

Taipei City, Taipei City, Taiwan

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 

Posted by BarryH: 

Paul

I feel sorry for you if:
1) you think only one type of model is worth photographing.
2) you derive pleasure from belittling others' appearance.

Sad, sad, sad. (And, since you started this game, your own portfolio doesn't show the greatest imagination.  Nice lighting, though.  Way to go with those neutral backgrounds.)

Jul 09 05 07:32 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

In my other life, with years of customer service experience, I have never come accross anything like this business. i guess I just need to get used to less than famous 'models' wanting the star treatment and somehow believe they are doing the photographer a favour by expecting to be paid, have all services supplied and then giving up all the goods to...

Switch "model" and "photographer":

In my other life, with years of customer service experience, I have never come accross anything like this business. i guess I just need to get used to less than famous 'photographers' wanting the star treatment and somehow believe they are doing the model a favour by expecting to be paid, have all services supplied and then giving up all the goods to...

-------------------------------------------------

The bottom line is everyone wants to get paid for their work. No one wants to pay their dues. To develop your portfolio, you're going to have to eat some of it. Is it fair? Maybe not. Is it required? Almost always. So yes, welcome to the business.

Jul 10 05 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I think what would have been a better response by her, "Though I love your work and would enjoy working with you, there's enough demand for my time that I only do paid shoots."

Jul 10 05 03:43 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

...snipped...said her rates were $100 per hour, needed edited images and all raw material... was this acceptable?

Shocked, I said it wasnt acceptable...snipped

I was told my answer was harsh and not in the spirit of negoiation...

Can anyone out ther tell me who is daffed here... I am new to this business but not business in general....snipped.

If a deal is not acceptable, negotiate for a better deal. That's business in general.

Jul 10 05 03:51 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Herb Way: 
Is there all that much difference between the photography that many of them do and spending wads of money on the pole girls in the titty bars?   

For a $100, I can get alot more than just watching strippers dancing on poles.

While she's at it, hand her a business card and tell her you're a professional photographer.  She'll probably pay you.  Strippers have money.

Jul 10 05 04:58 am Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

Posted by Herb Way: 
Is there all that much difference between the photography that many of them do and spending wads of money on the pole girls in the titty bars?   

For a $100, I can get alot more than just watching strippers dancing on poles.

While she's at it, hand her a business card and tell her you're a professional photographer.  She'll probably pay you.  Strippers have money.

LOL 

Jul 10 05 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Well, what a roller coaster this has been... I should have had the chance to dialogue like this when I started... My career as a photographer is a mere 18 mos old... I have had five years of education and several years of laughter from this thread alone!

Jul 10 05 04:04 pm Link

Model

ToddC

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

are TFP's typically not a paid shoot? Or how does it work usually?. Sorry if I restated a general question, but I was asked about doing one, and just curious about the dynamics of it.

Jul 10 05 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by ToddC: 
are TFP's typically not a paid shoot? Or how does it work usually?. Sorry if I restated a general question, but I was asked about doing one, and just curious about the dynamics of it.

Here's an article describing it all.  newmodels.com explains a lot.

Jul 10 05 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

Posted by Brian Diaz: 

Posted by ToddC: 

Here's an article describing it all.  newmodels.com explains a lot.

great link! very useful info, laid out in simple language.

Jul 10 05 08:57 pm Link

Model

ToddC

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

awesome thanks!. I guess i was surprised that i was contacted at all about that. seeing as how i have such basic photos and never have really done shoots with a serious intention. i'm very curious about it though. it could be a nice little hobby to pick up.

Jul 11 05 03:21 am Link

Photographer

Belair

Downers Grove, Illinois, US

If you're paying a model to pose for you, you don't owe him/her anything except his/her fee.  Of course, all consideration should be carefully detailed in the release.

If they want prints from the shoot, you should charge for the prints.

If it's a commercial shoot, then, as a courtesy, you could always provide the model a tearsheet.

Jul 11 05 03:02 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

If you're paying a model to shoot with you, wyou don't owe that model anything you didn't agree to before hand. In fact, if you're not paying a model to shoot with you, you still don't owe that model anything you didn't agree to before hand.

Jul 12 05 02:14 am Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Posted by Sara Green: 

Switch "model" and "photographer":

In my other life, with years of customer service experience, I have never come accross anything like this business. i guess I just need to get used to less than famous 'photographers' wanting the star treatment and somehow believe they are doing the model a favour by expecting to be paid, have all services supplied and then giving up all the goods to...

-------------------------------------------------

The bottom line is everyone wants to get paid for their work. No one wants to pay their dues. To develop your portfolio, you're going to have to eat some of it. Is it fair? Maybe not. Is it required? Almost always. So yes, welcome to the business.

Well put, Sara. It is a business, and while whe love creating beautiful images, we (photographers, models, MUAs etc) have to feed ourselves like the rest of the world.  To find a mutually convenient agreement among us can be tricky.
-Jennifer Maria

Jul 14 05 12:35 am Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

Fairfield, California, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 
You know, when you pay a model, you have FULL control of the images. So she has no rights to them unless you grant them.

I think some of you all tend to forget that.

When I was 1st starting out with TFCD's I didn't know what I was doing. The photographer totally took me for granted because I was new and had only amateur photo's for my portfolio on OMP. He did semi-nude and nude TFCD mostly all nudes because he said oh because of the lighting I have to do the nudes 1st. I didn't get a cd for over a month and most of the images were just emailed to me and were not on the cd. The copyright with all my TFP's has been 50/50. Now I get paid shoot's and I am told never to do a TFP shoot for nudes. Through trial and error I have had to learn.... so when I started getting paid I just assumed that you get the images too, my mistake. Each photographer is different.I did a shoot for Military Stock Photo and I got paid and got a CD so I think it is individual, based on the model and the photographer and the picture style,use and agreement.

Jul 14 05 12:58 am Link