Forums > Photography Talk > H3D demo went well, anyone else have an opinion?

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Robert Randall wrote:

Happy Easter! 

big_smile

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.PhotographersPortfolio.com

Apr 12 09 07:00 am Link

Photographer

SAG Photography

Valencia, California, US

I'll stick with my clunky Contax 645's and use the Leaf Aptus II-10 backs, bought and paid for and my clients actually like the work coming from them.  I will upgrade probably to the Phase P65+ this year as I replace backs every year.

To me brand is not the think, image quality is king

Apr 12 09 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Cody Photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Robert Randall wrote:

Are you sure? The reason I ask is because I just went to your mm page where I found the first installment of the Jamcat equivilent of War And Peace. I got through part of chapter one before I quit reading. I quit because I realized two things, I was bored out of my mind, and you seem to contradict yourself frequently. I decided at that point to take a look at your pictures, where I couldn't help but notice they were a contradiction to your contradictions. I figured since you're a student, the contradictions are born of either youthful exhuberance combined with inexperience and a measure of stupidity, or you study philsophy, which in the real world is a complete waste of your parents money, but will allow you to nail the duality of man thing well enough so that when you make contradtictory statements, you think you don't look stupid.

Whew, that was a long sentence!

Anyhow, with regard to the H2, I've actually worked with every medium format camera known to mankind, including that stupid abortion out of Russia, and I dare say, you must be brain dead. So I repeat, noting your proclivity for contradiction... Are you sure?

Thanks Robert. I agree.  I loved the V system but I wonder if the poster has shot digitally with either the V or H.  If you have you would know that form follows function..the H being much easier and more advanced to work with.....and frankly I for one don't find it unattractive anyhow.  Oh by the way it takes great photographs.

Apr 12 09 07:54 am Link

Photographer

bdl

Los Angeles, California, US

I agree with Stephen that the Phase 65 is probably where the market (high end advertising clients) are going to end up.  However, the H3D50 is upgradeable to H3D60 for the difference in price when it becomes available... roughly $8000 more than the 50.  I would definitely take that into consideration. 

Phocus is coming along in its development.  I've starting using it for all capture now that flexcolor is a dead duck with respect to recent firmware upgrades.  It is crazy fast in the processing which is rather awesome when you're trying to turn around big jobs. 

I own an H3D50, I bought the second one to hit LA and off the bat it kind of sucked.  Lately it's been better (firmware 249).  A lot of my complaints stemmed from the philosophies of Phocus vs. Flexcolor.  Now that I've more experience with Phocus I can see the advantages and as Hassy refines their algorithms the way they did with flex for so many years I think we are going to see some amazing images and tonalities coming from the software.

Apr 12 09 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

bdl wrote:
I agree with Stephen that the Phase 65 is probably where the market (high end advertising clients) are going to end up.  However, the H3D50 is upgradeable to H3D60 for the difference in price when it becomes available... roughly $8000 more than the 50.  I would definitely take that into consideration. 

Phocus is coming along in its development.  I've starting using it for all capture now that flexcolor is a dead duck with respect to recent firmware upgrades.  It is crazy fast in the processing which is rather awesome when you're trying to turn around big jobs. 

I own an H3D50, I bought the second one to hit LA and off the bat it kind of sucked.  Lately it's been better (firmware 249).  A lot of my complaints stemmed from the philosophies of Phocus vs. Flexcolor.  Now that I've more experience with Phocus I can see the advantages and as Hassy refines their algorithms the way they did with flex for so many years I think we are going to see some amazing images and tonalities coming from the software.

When I first looked at MF digi backs, Imacon owned the back that has now transmutamorphed into the H3D. Horrible didn't begin to describe what a piece of crap it was. That was the main reason I was loathe to even demo the new back. In the original version of software, you couldn't turn off factory sharpening, which made hair look like kaleidoscopic barber poles. I don't have any experience with Flexcolor, but I do have a tone of experience with Leaf and Phase software, and the new Phocus software absolutely rocks. If it can be used on Canon files in the same manner the Phase can, I wouldn't hesitate to buy Phocus. I couldn't believe how fast and user friendly it was.

Apr 12 09 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Hey Bob!  What ever you get....can I have your old stuff?

Apr 12 09 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Cody Photography wrote:

Thanks Robert. I agree.  I loved the V system but I wonder if the poster has shot digitally with either the V or H.  If you have you would know that form follows function..the H being much easier and more advanced to work with.....and frankly I for one don't find it unattractive anyhow.  Oh by the way it takes great photographs.

The single biggest problem I have with the people on this site is exactly what Jamcat did. Open big dumb mouth without thinking, insert foot, decide the feeling is reminiscent of peeing in bed, so you start chewing on your toe nails, become so preoccupied with the oedipean complexities of sucking on your own toes that you forget what you were thinking, mostly because of diminutive cognitive skills, wander away to fart, without consideration for how stupid you look to others, or what damage you may have done to someone that has the misguided notion you might know what you're talking about.

Its certainly been a good week for run on sentences!

I wish it had 5 auto focus pints and focused more quickly.

Apr 12 09 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Stephen Fletcher wrote:
Hey Bob!  What ever you get....can I have your old stuff?

I'll pass it on to my wife, but I don't think you're endearing yourself to her by referring to her as my old stuff.

Apr 12 09 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Stan Glass wrote:
I'll stick with my clunky Contax 645's and use the Leaf Aptus II-10 backs, bought and paid for and my clients actually like the work coming from them.  I will upgrade probably to the Phase P65+ this year as I replace backs every year.

Have I been talking about brand loyalty, or a completely rockin new system? You have me confused.

Apr 12 09 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Robert Randall wrote:

I'll pass it on to my wife, but I don't think you're endearing yourself to her by referring to her as my old stuff.

At least you can advertise she is an unused condition.

Apr 12 09 10:52 am Link

Photographer

bdl

The sharpening in Phocus is still an issue for me.  Basically you need to turn it off... no I meant OFF!  smile

The only other issue I have with phocus is that well actually a few things...

1. not a good idea to put the trash button right next to the modify button in the tool menu.
2. if you do creative color in phocus you have to be very careful of the color picker
3. it's just plain dumb to not allow scrolling through the development modules if you stack a lot of them in the adjust tab.  having to click on little arrows at the bottom takes a ridiculous amount of accuracy if you are moving fast.  lightroom does this right by scrolling.

of course this is version 1 so, i expect things will get nicer down the road.

Oh and yeah Bob, I know what you mean about the hair in the original flexcolor.  They introduced a color noise filter that helped tremendously about two years after you probably tested the ixpress.

Apr 12 09 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Stephen Fletcher wrote:

At least you can advertise she is an unused condition.

Bastard... I'm going to CAM your ass for that one!

Happy Easter too.

Apr 12 09 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Robert Randall wrote:

Bastard... I'm going to CAM your ass for that one!

Happy Easter too.

Back at you!

Apr 12 09 11:07 am Link

Photographer

RSM-images

Jacksonville, Florida, US

bdl wrote:
1. not a good idea to put the trash button right next to the modify button in the tool menu.
2. if you do creative color in phocus you have to be very careful of the color picker
3. it's just plain dumb to not allow scrolling through the development modules if you stack a lot of them in the adjust tab.  having to click on little arrows at the bottom takes a ridiculous amount of accuracy if you are moving fast.  lightroom does this right by scrolling.

I sent your suggestions to Hasselblad.

Apr 12 09 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

RSM-images wrote:

I sent your suggestions to Hasselblad.

Do you have an inside track to them like Rick does at Adobe, or did you just use their contact site? Just curious to know who I'm dealing with.

Apr 12 09 11:24 am Link

Photographer

bdl

Robert Randall wrote:

Do you have an inside track to them like Rick does at Adobe, or did you just use their contact site? Just curious to know who I'm dealing with.

Do you mean rick miller?  he's awesome.

One of the most knowledgeable people in the hasselblad company is a guy named David Grover out of the UK.  Anytime I have an issue I deal with him.  Bruce Wiseman is also a heck of a guy.

Apr 12 09 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

The only inside guy I know anymore is that Eastwood fellow that works for Canon. smile

Apr 12 09 11:58 am Link

Photographer

bdl

Yes, he seems to be quite the 'lurker'

wink

Apr 12 09 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

bdl wrote:
Yes, he seems to be quite the 'lurker'

wink

Weird, everything I've ever used to describe him is covered in four letters, not  six.

Apr 12 09 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Stringbourne

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Robert Randall wrote:
I just had a demo with an H3D 50. I shot tethered to a Mac dual 3Ghz duop core Xenon running Phocus software. It absolutely rocked! I've been shooting Leaf on H2 for a few years, and it seems Hblad has caught up. With the demise of Rollie, and the firing of the Leaf rep without a replacement, it seems the writing is on the wall for Leaf. I need to make a decision between Phase and Hblad, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both. Obviously I will demo a Phase as well, but I absolutely hate the Mamiya platform, and the Hblad is no longer available to Phase.

Anyone?

One of the things about Hasselblad is that they're very good at keeping you in the system - if you ever want to upgrade they give good rebates on your older kit. I've got a phase one for my 503, but if I ever went for the H3 I'd go with their backs and buy into the system long term.

Apr 12 09 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

Ed Stringbourne wrote:
One of the things about Hasselblad is that they're very good at keeping you in the system - if you ever want to upgrade they give good rebates on your older kit.

I think you might want to check on this....

As I recall, more aggressive pricing was given---- but the upgrade path dropped.

AFAIK, only the H3D60 offers the upgrade path from the H3D50 for the difference in retail.

Apr 12 09 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

SAG Photography

Valencia, California, US

Robert Randall wrote:

Stan Glass wrote:

Have I been talking about brand loyalty, or a completely rockin new system? You have me confused.

No I have 10 Contax 645 bodies and about 3 of each of the lenses they made.  I also use the Contax 645 to Hassey V lens adapter which let's me use those lenses also.

I love the contax (except the sync of 1/125) the Glass is to die for.
The leaf Aptus II - 10 backs are a smoker also, 56mp and believe me the images are FAB.

I use Leaf's software as the gateway for tether into Lightroom which works well for our workflow.

Not brand loyal just equipment poor.

Apr 12 09 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Cody Photography wrote:
Robert

I shoot an H2 with a Leaf 75 and love the results, but like the possibility of the Hasselblad HTS for architecture.  I have not tried it yet but it seems to make more sense if you have the DAC/Phocus software.

When I bought the H2/Leaf combo at the time the Hasselblad software was supposedly not that great, so I opted for the Leaf.  It sounds like your experience refutes that, so that along with your comment about the possible demise of Leaf has set me thinking. Do you really think Leaf will disappear?

Don

Leaf has been bundling backs to Mamiya's cameras. Its seems like Phase One and Leaf are hitching their wagons to Mamiya since Hassablad slammed the door shut.

Apr 12 09 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

An April 2009 press release...

Leaf releases the Aptus-II 10 with 56 MP

Leaf releases a new digital back, the Aptus-II, in a very high-def version with 56 megapixels.
56 megapixels for the Leaf Aptus-II back
Leaf releases a new digital back, the Aptus-II, in a very high-def version with 56 megapixels.

Leaf Aptus-II 10 and its 56 megapixels !
In the continuity of the backs Leaf Aptus-II 7 (33 megapixels) and Leaf Aptus-II 6 (28 megapixels), launched at the Photokina in September 2008, the main asset of the Leaf Aptus II back is its great compatibility: it can be mounted on more than 80 medium-sized cameras.

Available for Mamiya, Contax and Hasselblad interfaces, the Leaf Aptus-II 10 can also be used with view cameras via RZ and Graflok adaptors, as well as other adaptors conceived by other manufacturers.

Leaf Capture 11.2.6
The Leaf Aptus-II also sports a high-contrast tactile screen of 6 x 7 cm and ensures ultra-speed transfer of pictures thanks to broadband CompactFlash cards for laptops or else thanks to a Firewire 800 cable interface. The Leaf Aptus-II 10 comes with a new version of Leaf Capture (v.11.2.6), free software for photo retouching and production flow provided by Leaf, which supports the advanced features of the Leaf Aptus-II 10 back and of the Leaf AFi-II 10 camera system.
Leaf Capture 11.2.6 can also be downloaded for free on Leaf’s website.

Apr 12 09 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

VictoriasPhoto

San Diego, California, US

Here's honest opinion of one DMed format fan who joined DMed format bubble just before financial crisis:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/ind … opic=33618

Apr 12 09 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

VictoriasPhoto wrote:
Here's honest opinion of one DMed format fan who joined DMed format bubble just before financial crisis:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/ind … opic=33618

I don't know that I can afford the luxury of that kind of thinking. I make money with my cameras, and I can't afford to be working with yesterday's news. As Stephen pointed out, larger files means more money, plus I have an affinity for detail, so the larger the sensor, the better I like it. Besides, money was never the issue, it was always about use and function.

Apr 13 09 05:21 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

I just had a demo of the Phase P45 Plus, at the same store I had the H3D demo. Same setup in terms of factory defaults. I am stunned, and I know that no one will believe me, but the H3D 50 is so far superior to the Phase back it is laughable. Oddly, I was wearing much the same clothing today, that I wore during the H3D demo, a black rain proof wind breaker. The Phase rendition of my jacket was a kaleidoscope of candy colored moire. Not so with the H3D. The contrast was so harsh on the Phase it would require a few hours of fixing on system to get a good image, not so with the H3D. At 300% magnification, you could see aliasing destroying fine detail on the Phase, the H3D was holding up beautifully. The color rendition of the Phase image was horribly red and blotchy, the H3D was as close to accurate skin tone as I've ever seen on a digital file.

The store is working numbers on trading my Leaf backs to get into the H3D 50, with an upgrade  path to the 60 when it is available. I've always felt the Leaf was superior to the Phase, simply due to the smoother tonal transitions of the Leaf, and I never make changes like this unless the reason is earth shaking. This H3D back absolutely beats them both like a red headed stepchild.

Apr 15 09 10:19 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Robert Randall wrote:
I just had a demo of the Phase P45 Plus, at the same store I had the H3D demo. Same setup in terms of factory defaults. I am stunned, and I know that no one will believe me, but the H3D 50 is so far superior to the Phase back it is laughable. Oddly, I was wearing much the same clothing today, that I wore during the H3D demo, a black rain proof wind breaker. The Phase rendition of my jacket was a kaleidoscope of candy colored moire. Not so with the H3D. The contrast was so harsh on the Phase it would require a few hours of fixing on system to get a good image, not so with the H3D. At 300% magnification, you could see aliasing destroying fine detail on the Phase, the H3D was holding up beautifully. The color rendition of the Phase image was horribly red and blotchy, the H3D was as close to accurate skin tone as I've ever seen on a digital file.

The store is working numbers on trading my Leaf backs to get into the H3D 50, with an upgrade  path to the 60 when it is available. I've always felt the Leaf was superior to the Phase, simply due to the smoother tonal transitions of the Leaf, and I never make changes like this unless the reason is earth shaking. This H3D back absolutely beats them both like a red headed stepchild.

P65 has many technological advantages ove  Oh, and I do not like phase one conversions, I prefer ACR by far...

Stephen Eastwood

Apr 15 09 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

StephenEastwood wrote:

P65 has many technological advantages ove  Oh, and I do not like phase one conversions, I prefer ACR by far...

Stephen Eastwood

What is ACR?

Apr 15 09 10:31 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Robert Randall wrote:

What is ACR?

adobe raw converter, I only like that and bibble for conversions usually, they are not up to date on the P65 yet, but I use them on canon and older P45.

Stephen Eastwood

Apr 15 09 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm having the sales guy send me cuts from todays file, both in Phase and ACR conversions. I'll upload them with similar cuts from the H3D. I don't think you will believe the difference.

Apr 15 09 10:46 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Robert Randall wrote:
I'm having the sales guy send me cuts from todays file, both in Phase and ACR conversions. I'll upload them with similar cuts from the H3D. I don't think you will believe the difference.

well to be fair, in ACR you need to make sure sharpening is off, and blacks are at zero, and contrast at 50% or lower for any decent conversion that saves DR.  And WB is not always translated well in the default adobe interpretation, so it needs to be set up and saved as a better camera preset for good conversions.  Phase by default is set to a slightly more contrasty sharper punchy version that is more consumer oriented in a sense, much like DPP for canon files.  You and I are far from the normal consumer/semi discerning pro type, we are more picky about things that many others don;t even know they are missing, and you perhaps even more than me wink

Stephen Eastwood

Apr 15 09 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Cody Photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Robert Randall wrote:

Robert,

Thanks for sharing your insight and experience.  I chose Leaf over Phase for the same reasons, but due to bad press on the Blad software at the time didn't even consider it.  I do love the H2 however, and though I'm not unhappy with my Leaf your descriptions of the Phocus results along with the ability to use DAC for architectural and table top stuff has got my attention.  Thanks again for sharing your results.

Don

Apr 15 09 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

First, thanks to RR for sharing this process with us.  Between this and other reading done searching the older threads, my eyes are opened to what we DSLR types miss out on - not that I'd know what to do with it, but it's the principle smile.

That said, unless it's too OT (in which case this will go away), where would you all say the 'sweet spot' is for entry into the DMF realm?  As you offload old gear, which gives you pause to think, 'what a bargain this is going to be for someone'?

Apr 15 09 11:06 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

bargain is the P45 and H3D I sold with h2/h3 and 80 each went for around 15k, each 39mp.  For photographers with less money and looking to jump to a MFDB from a DSLR at a budget, the DL28 is a good deal, as are the older used aptus 22mp backs and P25's 

Stephen Eastwood

Apr 15 09 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Sean Baker wrote:
First, thanks to RR for sharing this process with us.  Between this and other reading done searching the older threads, my eyes are opened to what we DSLR types miss out on - not that I'd know what to do with it, but it's the principle smile.

That said, unless it's too OT (in which case this will go away), where would you all say the 'sweet spot' is for entry into the DMF realm?  As you offload old gear, which gives you pause to think, 'what a bargain this is going to be for someone'?

I've always maintained that Leaf was a better choice when shooting people, and that Phase was a good choice for product. After today, I can't think of anything I would choose a Phase back for. That being said, any functioning Leaf/Hblad combo that you find at resale would be my choice. I owned a Contax system with a Leaf back, and I traded it in for the H1/Leaf Valeo. While the Contax glass was nice, the auto focus function was too slow, and with eyes like mine, I needed better, which the H1 provided.

A tip for eBay, limit your search for items to a geographical area you're willing to travel to in order to inspect the item before purchase. You'll find this eliminates about 99% of the fraud BS that goes on with sellers.

Apr 15 09 11:12 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Robert Randall wrote:
I've always maintained that Leaf was a better choice when shooting people, and that Phase was a good choice for product. After today, I can't think of anything I would choose a Phase back for. That being said, any functioning Leaf/Hblad combo that you find at resale would be my choice. I owned a Contax system with a Leaf back, and I traded it in for the H1/Leaf Valeo. While the Contax glass was nice, the auto focus function was too slow, and with eyes like mine, I needed better, which the H1 provided.

A tip for eBay, limit your search for items to a geographical area you're willing to travel to in order to inspect the item before purchase. You'll find this eliminates about 99% of the fraud BS that goes on with sellers.

you make Phase owners say sad

big_smile  I had a H3Dii-39 and P45 on H2 same time as back ups to one another and always used the P45, maybe I prefer the conversions I do in ACR and I had more set up for the P45 but I never had an issue with them myself.  I had the aptus 75s before that and always thought the grain like structure it had, just looked like monochromatic noise to me, I was not a fan, but than I am use to clean looking files for a long time already so its skewed me.

Stephen Eastwood

Apr 15 09 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

StephenEastwood wrote:

you make Phase owners say sad

big_smile  I had a H3Dii-39 and P45 on H2 same time as back ups to one another and always used the P45, maybe I prefer the conversions I do in ACR and I had more set up for the P45 but I never had an issue with them myself.  I had the aptus 75s before that and always thought the grain like structure it had, just looked like monochromatic noise to me, I was not a fan, but than I am use to clean looking files for a long time already so its skewed me.

Stephen Eastwood

Differing opinions are what make the world go around. Of course, they are also what make the Arabs hate the Jews, and Rush Limbough hate everyone that isn't a drug addled Republican, so go dunk your head in a vat of cold water! but if you do, let me know so I can shoot the event with the proper back.

https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/mrpoodledoo/36_12_6.gif

I love that smiley, I only pull him out for the best smack downs!

Apr 15 09 11:24 am Link

Photographer

SAG Photography

Valencia, California, US

Robert Randall wrote:

I will buy everything Contax 645 you have as long as it works.

Apr 15 09 11:24 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Robert Randall wrote:
Differing opinions are what make the world go around. Of course, they are also what make the Arabs hate the Jews, and Rush Limbough hate everyone that isn't a drug addled Republican, so go dunk your head in a vat of cold water! but if you do, let me know so I can shoot the event with the proper back.

https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/mrpoodledoo/36_12_6.gif

I love that smiley, I only pull him out for the best smack downs!

are you insulting Rush?  I draw the line there, he is my hero! 
https://www.nyphotographics.com/gifs/blah.gif

Stephen Eastwood

Apr 15 09 11:32 am Link