Forums > General Industry > NYC Meetup Rants and Raves

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Well, Stephen Bodi (#8494) and Udo (#130) just left my place a few minutes ago and it's 2:35am EST. I think it went well.

A good crowd in the bar. Lots of matching faces to names and handles I see all the time.

The word for a sequel is September, date unsure, location unsure, but I'm thinking (as someone said a few hours ago) somewhere south of 14th Street, and I like the idea of keeping it on the second Friday of the month ("second friday of every second month").

Props to Brandon (#14918), my only model who was able to make it.

Props to everyone who showed really. It takes courage to show up and meet a bunch of people you don't know at an unestablished event in a strange place.

- Ched

Post location suggestions for the next one here.

Jul 09 05 01:41 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Hey Ched;

I totally enjoyed your company... you are a very easy going and funny guy!

LOVE your place and studio!

Looking forward hanging with you more and brainstorming.

Stephen is a great guy too, extremely dry sense of humor I am loving it.

Back to the bar, I've met Dave Silverberg... a classy man that deserves tremendeous respect for his accomplishments.

Serena Beana cracks me up... so fun and easy going... super cool chick... Elisabeth Zusev... what a nice lady and her husband, whom I've met on the way out.

Ty Simon... man... buddy... I thought you are 7ft tall and a black dude who played NFL and is now a law professor... super cool... LMAO

Well... I know I forgot many people that I was able to meet... and I do know your names, some I don't remember how to spell, considering that I came like 11:30pm basically too late.

Stacy and Anna the models, Ted and Tat Leong oh... and Jessica Musicus... the first person I recognized... what a hottie... damnit... so beautiful eyes... yeah... all four of them... and she doesn't wear glasses!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Larisa, what a gorgeous and interesting woman! Entrepreneur through and through... very smart and knows what she wants. Sorry about my biz cards, darling... you'll get my new ones asap... if you still want them...

Who else... hey... I didn't drink anything, until I came home and had some shots of vodka... got to go to sleep because of the shoot in Newark tomorrow.

Yeah... Patrick... the goto guy for hair questions... geeez...

All that talent on one spot... outstanding... and none of the usual bad attitudes of photographers, with their holier than thou behaviour.

Well... the post got longer than expected...

Now... to all that weren't able to make it... see who I've met during, what... 70 minutes of being there... just imagine you would have been there hours before me... when all the other models were there too.

BTW, I liked that location!

Cheers

Udo

Jul 09 05 02:49 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Okay, I just got home from the afterparty at 5:30, and I can fairly say that this was a success, and I can't wait for the sequel.

Jul 09 05 04:35 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Hey Brian;

Was fun meeting you! Afterparty... WTF... well... I had to skip anyway... and I am getting ready for the shoot in Neward today... damn... a phone call woke me at 8:30 am and I am not going back to bed.

Jul 09 05 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

What an incredible time!
Udo, I am slightly shorter and lighter than you thought? :-)

I can not tell you how great it was to actually put faces and voices to some of the people here, and to see the creative minds that make the magic.

Of Course, My suggestion for September is Hoboken, NJ.

This way I do not have to quell my drinking so early!

Udo, in the 10 minutes we talked, I felt I made a friend for life.

Bpruck, Anna and StaciF, I look forward to working with you three, if all parties can remember.....

Elisabeth Zusev, We got to party more often.

Dave, (I hope I got the right person here) the slide show was incredible. Great Talent.

Brian, Stephen, Serena Beana, Larissa, and the Other Larissa, And everyone else who I met, and forgot their name, It was great.

Ched
I very special thank you for putting this together!

And FYI, by time I made it home, it was 3:15 am.

Jul 09 05 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Damn it, I really wanted to go but I screwed up.  I was up so late Thursday night that I got home about 12 noon Friday. Figured I'd sleep a few hours and just get up and go. Well those few hours lasted until 11pm, not quite as planned.

I won't screw up in September. Just pick a day and location soon (and don't keep changing it like this one was).

ps:  Udo, I thought Ty was a tall black dude too!

Jul 09 05 08:56 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 
Udo, in the 10 minutes we talked, I felt I made a friend for life.

Yep! Same here!

Jul 09 05 08:59 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Glamour Studio /Gary: 

Hahahaa... yeah... Ty... Tyrone... the times of Tyrone Powers and the old Hollywood people with that name are over...

Too funny!

Jul 09 05 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Glamour Studio /Gary: 
Damn it, I really wanted to go but I screwed up.  I was up so late Thursday night that I got home about 12 noon Friday. Figured I'd sleep a few hours and just get up and go. Well those few hours lasted until 11pm, not quite as planned.

I won't screw up in September. Just pick a day and location soon (and don't keep changing it like this one was).

ok, time to clarify who I am.....

Ty is short for Tyler, not to be confused with Tyler from the website...
I am an average height Italian dude, that probably looks more Native american than Italian (especially when tanned)
As a Matter-of-Fact, my mom used to call us Wopaho Indians.

(WOP = deregatory term for Italians - originated after the mass immigrations when most did not have documentation of identity. The workers would say another WOP - WithOut Papers.)

I will say, your impression of what I looked like is better than what some models probably think...

"He is this short slimy looking dude with BCD Glasses that has tape in the middle and he has this grime to him......"

(BCD = Birth Control Device - refers to glasses that the military issues, black-rimmed and dorky - which makes sure that when worn, no woman would come within 50 feet of you for fear of being associated with you.)

Jul 09 05 09:05 am Link

Model

Jessica Musicus

New York, New York, US

I had a great time last night, and it was nice to put a lot of faces and names together.  I look forward to working with some of you in the future  : )

Jul 09 05 09:05 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Jessica Musicus: 
I had a great time last night, and it was nice to put a lot of faces and names together.  I look forward to working with some of you in the future  : )

Wish I had come earlier and talked to you charming little self much much much longer... LOL

Jul 09 05 09:09 am Link

Photographer

David Klein

Brooklyn, New York, US

sorry I missed this and I hope to make it in September. Something came up that I just couldn't get out of.

Glad everyone had a great time.

David

ps. Woud like to have carried on with our other forum conversations on terrorism with Udo and Ty

Jul 09 05 09:09 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by David Klein: 
ps. Woud like to have carried on with our other forum conversations on terrorism with Udo and Ty

Yeah... but we didn't talk too much about it, except about our resident O'Reilly... I am sure the name association rings a bell... LOL

Jul 09 05 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

It was fun.

Jul 09 05 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 
It was fun.

I saw the Human that walked you into the bar and I thought, My god, they really do let dogs into bars in NYC!

Jul 09 05 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 

Posted by Jack D Trute: 
It was fun.

I saw the Human that walked you into the bar and I thought, My god, they really do let dogs into bars in NYC!

I would say blow me but with how many you gave out last night,  I think I will pass.

Jul 09 05 09:23 am Link

Model

BrandonR

New York, New York, US

Great times guys!!!   Must do this again Soon!

Thanks to all who showed up!
B

Jul 09 05 09:29 am Link

Model

AnnaMarie

Flushing, New York, US

Sorry I missed it.  Hope I can make it in September!  Glad everyone had a good time!
Cheers,
Annamarie

Jul 09 05 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Tat Leong

New York, New York, US

It was great meeting everyone last night, all that talent in one room, wow.

Jul 09 05 09:52 am Link

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

I want to say thanks to all the wonderful photographers and models I met last night- It is really great to put faces to names. Hope to do thias again sometime- but lets try to make it more accessible for the Jersey Folks- Maybe Staten Island

Jul 09 05 10:22 am Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

great time last night! loved meeting all of you..lets def do this again..and yes udo..send a card lol..btw ched ur great!

Jul 09 05 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by Larisa Burdeynaya: 
great time last night! loved meeting all of you..lets def do this again..and yes udo..send a card lol..btw ched ur great!

Oh, thank you, thank you, my dear.

BTW, photog2b (#13667) has one of the pictures up on his profile here: http://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=42cf4d8c5ca86

Jul 09 05 11:15 am Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Ched i wanna come over this week to collect books smile

Jul 09 05 11:18 am Link

Photographer

MB Photo 13

New York, New York, US

It was an awesome time last night meeting everyone!!!!! with all the photographers and models  in one room it was a very  cool get together ! I am looking forward to the next party In Sept. we should hold it on Sept 9th some of the bars i am thinking of are

Otto's Shrunken Head
538 E 14th St between Ave A & B   

Beauty Bar,
231 E. 14th St., btwn 2nd Ave. & 3rd Ave

Korova Milk Bar
200 Avenue A

Niagara,
112 Ave. A, @ 7th St.

Plant Bar,
217 E. 3rd St

BELLVIEW BAR.
538 9TH AVE

Rodeo Bar
375 3rd Avenue corner of 27th St & Third Ave

Now the question I want to ask everone is this, do we want to hold our event  in  a bar with no cover charge or do we want to get someplace that has private rooms for partys  I would like to get some thoughts on this  and if anyone has other venues in mind let us know.
I was also thinking maybe we could do a bowling party (LOL)
@ Leisure Time Bowling Center and Cocktail Lounge at the Port Authority

so lets hear some more ideas  ok

Cheers
Mark

Jul 09 05 11:49 am Link

Model

Reby

New York, New York, US

Doh! That was yesterday.....? Too busy shooting!

Gotta come to the next! Have it in Manhattan!

Jul 09 05 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Bodi

East Northport, New York, US

Was fun talking shop and meeting some very nice people. Ched, Udo, Tat and all you guys are great. Larissa, sorry we didnt get a chance to chat, I didnt recognize you! We'll talk soon.  It was very nice networking with you guys. We will have to this again real soon.

Stephen

Jul 09 05 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

You might want to add #17093 to your friends list.

http://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=17093

Jul 09 05 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by MB Photo 13: 
It was an awesome time last night meeting everyone!!!!! with all the photographers and models  in one room it was a very  cool get together ! I am looking forward to the next party In Sept. we should hold it on Sept 9th some of the bars i am thinking of are

Otto's Shrunken Head

Beauty Bar,

Korova Milk Bar
200 Avenue A

Niagara,
112 Ave. A, @ 7th St.

Plant Bar,
217 E. 3rd St

BELLVIEW BAR.
538 9TH AVE

Rodeo Bar

Now the question I want to ask everone is this, do we want to hold our event  in  a bar with no cover charge or do we want to get someplace that has private rooms for partys  I would like to get some thoughts on this  and if anyone has other venues in mind let us know.
I was also thinking maybe we could do a bowling party (LOL)
@ Leisure Time Bowling Center and Cocktail Lounge at the Port Authority

so lets hear some more ideas  ok

Cheers
Mark 

Not an idea but a question. You've listed a number of places for the next one. Being from Jersey, and practically on the NYC border, the names and addresses might as well be in Latin and I failed Latin.

Could you put down also what section of NYC these places are in?

Jul 09 05 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

MB Photo 13

New York, New York, US

(Lower East Side)
Otto's Shrunken Head
Lower East Side

(Lower East Side)
Beauty Bar,

(Lower East Side)
Korova Milk Bar
200 Avenue A

(Lower East Side)
Niagara,
112 Ave. A, @ 7th St.

(Lower East Side)
Plant Bar,
217 E. 3rd St

(Hells Kitchen)
BELLVIEW BAR.
538 9TH AVE
(East Side)
Rodeo Bar

(Times Square)
Leisure Time Bowling Center and Cocktail Lounge at the Port Authority

Jul 09 05 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Thanks! Now I know where to set my compass at.

Jul 09 05 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Elizabeth Zusev

Seattle, Washington, US

Awesome to meet you all...and now I'm very very sleepy!  Let's do it again!

Jul 09 05 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Bodi

https://homepage.mac.com/wolfboynyc/.Pictures/otherimages/DCP_9313s.jpg

Jul 09 05 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

woohoo!

Jul 09 05 02:50 pm Link

Model

BrandonR

New York, New York, US

Heck yea, the new NYCmeetup portfolio great idea!!!!!!!!

Jul 09 05 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Dave - The Rollei Guy

New York, New York, US

It is hard to put into words a description of last night.  So many enthusiastic people together could only thrill an old timer like me.   I have had a camera around my neck for about 50 years and have met with photo groups hundreds of times.   I can't remember any other time that it was such a warm group.   Usually such groups are trying to cut each others heads off.   This was just fantastic.
    Thanks a million Ched for making such efforts. 
             All the best to everyone      Dave

Jul 09 05 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Dave - The Rollei Guy

New York, New York, US

In my previous post above I state that I could not find the words, and now I realize there are simple words to describe the evening.   It was like being with close family.
     Thanks to everyone who was there.

Jul 09 05 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Seriously, the only let down was that the Galaga machine was $1.00!

I think there's a $.50 machine (and it's the cocktail table) at Welcome to the Johnsons on the LES.  Maybe next time...

Thanks again Ched!

Jul 09 05 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by Brian Diaz: 

I think there's a $.50 machine (and it's the cocktail table) at Welcome to the Johnsons on the LES.  Maybe next time...

Thanks again Ched!

Quite welcome, Brian.

I have the Atari here in my studio, swing by and play on the TV for free some time.

Jul 09 05 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Bodi

Posted by Ched: 

Posted by Brian Diaz: 

Thanks again Ched!

I have the Atari here in my studio, swing by and play on the TV for free some time.

ALL RIGHT ! ATARI ! I wonder of I dig out my old colecovision  or NES will they still work? Might take some handiwork with a soldering iron.... Hmmm... Or better yet those of us with fast laptops can install medal of honor, or call of duty on our machines and have a bitchin' lan party at Ched's . My screename on those games when I play online is "FluffyBunnyOfDeath"

Jul 09 05 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by Stephen Bodi: 

Posted by Ched: 

Posted by Brian Diaz: 

Thanks again Ched!

ALL RIGHT ! ATARI ! I wonder of I dig out my old colecovision  or NES will they still work? Might take some handiwork with a soldering iron.... Hmmm... Or better yet those of us with fast laptops can install medal of honor, or call of duty on our machines and have a bitchin' lan party at Ched's . My screename on those games when I play online is "FluffyBunnyOfDeath"

I saw modification instructions th other day for putting a laptop motherboard with CD player into an Atari 2600 body... :-)

Jul 09 05 09:43 pm Link