Forums > General Industry > The Best Camera question again.

Photographer

RMT Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

Honestly, for the sub $2000 dollar market, a D90 is the best way to go right now. It has the best of what makes Nikon a leader (In camera autofocus, sharpness, 2 LCD screens) but none of the worst points some of the Nikons have had in the past.

Still, of course their are better cameras, but so much empaphasis is places on the bodies when the glass controls a LOT of what you're talking about.

So, I'd get a D90 (in fact I am later this year) and save the rest for glass or lighting. (The Prime lenses would be ideal IMO - 50mm is a great lens, and the 1.8 is still a bargain, although the 1.4 is quite breathtaking!)

Jun 04 09 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

FOTOgraphicART - Heinz

Hopkins, Minnesota, US

La Seine by the Hudson wrote:

I'd turn it right back on you.

If you are so sure that the M8 is nothing more than a Panasonic camera with an M mount, provide some proof.  I have seen the M8 in production in Germany, there is nothing Panasonic about it.

Jun 05 09 08:19 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

GMP Photography - Heinz wrote:
If you are so sure that the M8 is nothing more than a Panasonic camera with an M mount, provide some proof.  I have seen the M8 in production in Germany, there is nothing Panasonic about it.

The guts are Panasonic, designed by Panasonic, with a Kodak sensor. Leica has had a partnership with them for some time (including the design and manufacture of one of the Leica-branded digi P&Ss). The partnership with Panasonic is not particularly well-publicized for obvious PR reasons.

Further, the optical elements (rangefinder), construction and finish are way off the mark of a Leica M. Compare one directly to an MP (modern) to see what I'm talking about. It's nothing less than a major disappointment. If you compare one to an M3, M2, or M4, the M8 really becomes a joke. A nice camera when compared to most contemporary 35mm digi options from other manufacturers, but calling it a Leica is a serious stretch, it's a considerable step down not only from the M6 but even the M7. Of course, it does have a Leica M mount, which means that the justifiably reknowned Leica glass of past and present can be mounted on it, which means something... (And has kept the prices of used Leica glass as stratospheric as ever.)

On the other hand, their current MP is pretty close to the M4. It's all mechanical, and the viewfinder/rangefinder is better than any of the modern (post M4) M bodies.

Jun 05 09 08:32 am Link

Photographer

SKITA Studios

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Try the Fuji S5 as others have mentioned...wedding photogs swear by it, even w/ the slow clunky UI.
Buy some Zeiss glass for your Nikon?  (I have no idea what you mean by "bad skin", so I'm guessing)
Or pick up a Pentax DSLR (they're pretty inexpensive at $600 for a K20D) and the 43Ltd and 77Ltd primes (they have that Zeiss, slightly warm look).

Jun 05 09 09:04 am Link

Photographer

FOTOgraphicART - Heinz

Hopkins, Minnesota, US

La Seine by the Hudson wrote:

The guts are Panasonic, designed by Panasonic, with a Kodak sensor. Leica has had a partnership with them for some time (including the design and manufacture of one of the Leica-branded digi P&Ss). The partnership with Panasonic is not particularly well-publicized for obvious PR reasons.

Further, the optical elements (rangefinder), construction and finish are way off the mark of a Leica M. Compare one directly to an MP (modern) to see what I'm talking about. It's nothing less than a major disappointment. If you compare one to an M3, M2, or M4, the M8 really becomes a joke. A nice camera when compared to most contemporary 35mm digi options from other manufacturers, but calling it a Leica is a serious stretch, it's a considerable step down not only from the M6 but even the M7. Of course, it does have a Leica M mount, which means that the justifiably reknowned Leica glass of past and present can be mounted on it, which means something... (And has kept the prices of used Leica glass as stratospheric as ever.)

On the other hand, their current MP is pretty close to the M4. It's all mechanical, and the viewfinder/rangefinder is better than any of the modern (post M4) M bodies.

The guts being Panasonic is an overstatement.  Only the electronics are with a Kodak sensor.  That, however, does not make it a "Panasonic with an M mount."  Leica, like many other camera manufacturers, is not an electronics manufacturer and subsequently have to obtaion the electronics for their cameras elsewhere.  That has no bearing on the quality of the camera.  As for the rest of your statement, I am not sure what you base your opinion on, it is definitely not shared by many longtime Leica users.  But that is a different issue.  I questioned your over the top statement of the M8 being a Panasonic with an M mount.

Jun 05 09 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Gabriel Rene

San Juan, San Juan, Puerto Rico

What about the R4's?

Jun 06 09 09:27 am Link

Photographer

FOTOgraphicART - Heinz

Hopkins, Minnesota, US

The R4 had nothing to do with Panasonic at all.

Jun 07 09 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Gabriel Rene

I know. What i meant was: What do you all think about the R4's?

Jun 07 09 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Fun City Photo

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Poster Says:
"I'm looking for serious advise regarding the best camera I can buy and suits my needs."

Well $40.000 buys a good Medium Format with 2 prime lenses and a digital back.

Jun 07 09 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Tim Foster

Orlando, Florida, US

You mean the "Leica" lens on my Panasonic P+S's not real?

Jun 07 09 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Vanishing Point Ent

Los Angeles, California, US

Gabriel Rodz wrote:
So, if you're gonna say it's not the camera it's the photographer, you can run along. I'm looking for serious advise regarding the best camera I can buy and suits my needs.

I've had de D100 for quite a while now, she still takes great pictures but it's starting to fall behind. Plus, the shutter is starting to get stuck every once in a while. So I want to buy a new camera.

I've always used Nikon, for about 10 years now started with an FM10, N65, F5, transition to D100, had a D60 for a bit, and so on. Though I love it, I've always felt that Nikon is not so great with skintones. I've used almost them all, from the D40 to the D2X, and always feel the same (maybe not so much with the D2x, but still). She takes awesome landscapes, skies, sunsets, but when it comes to flesh, I've always found that she doesn't do so well. There's always a great deal of noise and odd contrasts in grayer areas, and I'm always spending a lot of time on PS trying to correct them. I don't know if that is something all digitalists have to live with, because Canon is not so different at least the counted times I've had access to them. Sometimes I feel that only Film, and Large Format Digital are the only option for great fleshtones and fashion shots in general.

Anyway, I've been looking at the D90, looks good. Haven't thought about the D300 because D400 almost certainly appears later this year.

So, today, I've been looking at Leica's M8's. Their pictures look amazing but haven't found any fashion/portrait ones. Have any of you used them for that kind of pics?

What do you think?

Then you should check this out:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=23119

Jun 07 09 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Stereoblind

Vancouver, Washington, US

I'll stick in my opinion even though it doesn't directly answer which base to buy.

If I could start over I'd buy all the best glass I could afford then with what I had left over - a base that fits all the glass.

The glass sees it, the base records it so even with a good base, bad glass can interfere. If I shoot RAW I can adjust for any limitations the base might present. Right?

Not rocket science to anyone here, but it might inspire another option.

Good luck with your final purchase. smile

Jun 07 09 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Haarvey Aardvark

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

GMP Photography - Heinz wrote:

First paragraph of the OP:
"So, if you're gonna say it's not the camera it's the photographer, you can run along. I'm looking for serious advise regarding the best camera I can buy and suits my needs."

Doesn't matter; it's an accurate statement.

Jun 07 09 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Alan John Images

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Rather than say it's the photographer, not the camera, I'd modify this view for those who might be sensitive about hearing this by saying that a lot of 'rules' and 'techniques' suggested by even the best photographers should not be followed religiously.  If you're doing something 'by the book' and it doesn't result in 'by the book' images, instead of a new camera, consider that you might have to adjust or tweak your technique by experimenting with such things as non-traditional color balance setups, lighting arrangements, and any number of other factors.

Jun 07 09 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Gabriel Rene

Ok, I don't mean to be rude or point at anyone or anything like that. But I'm kinda tired of the whole it's not the camera, it's the photog argument and this is why: In majority, people who get behind that argument are not so great photographers. And you can see it in the wikipedia language they use and above all, their ports. All the great photogs I've spoken to about this subject, always contribute with insightful comments and recommendations.

It is OBVIOUS that there's no camera that will take great pictures for you. We see it all the time, specially here on MM. I think we have to move beyond that, and that's why I stated it clearly in the original post. This is an INFORMATIONAL thread meant to give me and others serious insights about the kind of cameras available that will suit this particular need. For example, if I'm gonna do mostly fashion, advertising and candid pics, I don't NEED to spend $5K in a D2, I can buy a d300 or even a d90 with good glass; nor should I buy a clumsy gigantic RZ67, 'cause there will be times I'll be on location and that's uncomfortable. We learned that a rangefinder with good glass can become very handy when you're looking for a more candid style. I won't keep on listing cause it would be redundant, but at least I learned a lot.

I don't know guys, I don't consider myself a great photographer, I'm not a pro, but I happen to land a few gigs every now and then, and would like to have a camera I feel comfortable with and can rely on as well as give my clients the best image quality I can get. If I can light up well, or chose a right composition, or hit PS/Lightroom like a mofo'er, it's irrelevant, because right now, it's about the camera.

:: If I need advise on lighting, composition or editing I will post it in another thread and will gladly receive your opinions. For now, I'm sticking with the useful camera suggestions ::

Thank you very much.
G.

PD. So, for now, I'll go with the D90, F5 and good glass. And maybe a 645af, not sure yet.

Jun 07 09 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Ethereal Pixels

San Francisco, California, US

Whereas, perhaps your present problem is with the old D100, the most likely problem is with your camera set up and post processing work flow.  I, too, have shot with Nikons since way back in the days when I thought that pushing Tri-X to 1600 was a thrill!  I have a substantial investment in Nikon's best lenses, and shoot with a D700 and a 300 for backup.  I have no issues with skin tone.  I can get what I want through proper camera set up and, more importantly, in my post work.  If you've got the significant investment in quality Nikon glass, then I wouldn't consider switching to another camera line.

Jun 07 09 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

FOTOgraphicART - Heinz

Hopkins, Minnesota, US

Gabriel Rodz wrote:
I know. What i meant was: What do you all think about the R4's?

I used two R4's for several years, both with motor winder and motor drives, and never experienced any problems at all.  Both performed like a Leica should.

Jun 08 09 08:01 am Link

Photographer

FOTOgraphicART - Heinz

Hopkins, Minnesota, US

Stereoblind wrote:
I'll stick in my opinion even though it doesn't directly answer which base to buy.

If I could start over I'd buy all the best glass I could afford then with what I had left over - a base that fits all the glass.

The glass sees it, the base records it so even with a good base, bad glass can interfere. If I shoot RAW I can adjust for any limitations the base might present. Right?

Not rocket science to anyone here, but it might inspire another option.

Good luck with your final purchase. smile

While that is basically correct, one also needs to consider that some of the best glass will never perform to its full potential unless it is used on a camera body that is within the tolerance levels of the lenses.  For instance, some of the Leica lenses have an extremely small focus shift between the primary and secondary spectrum, which does lead to noticeably better performance levels.  However, to take full advantage of that it requires a camera body that is made to mechanical tolerances of 1/100 mm (1/2500 inch).  Other than Leica, there are currently no cameras made that precisely.

Jun 08 09 08:07 am Link