Forums > General Industry > Copyright question

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Just for you Theda!

Held:

1. To determine whether a work is a "work made for hire" within the § 101 definition, a court should first apply general common law of agency principles to ascertain whether the work was prepared by an employee or an independent contractor, and, depending upon the outcome, should then apply either § 101(1) or § 101(2). Although the Act nowhere defines "employee," "employment," or related terms, it must be inferred that Congress meant them in their settled, common-law sense, since nothing in the text of the work for hire provisions indicates that those terms are used to describe anything other than the conventional relation of employer and employee. On the contrary, Congress' intent to incorporate agency law definitions is suggested by § 101(1)'s use of the term "scope of employment," a widely used agency law term of art. Moreover, the general common law of agency must be relied on, rather than the law of any particular State, [104 L Ed 2d 819] since the Act is expressly intended to create a federal law of uniform, nationwide application by broadly preempting state statutory and common-law copyright regulation. Petitioners' argument that a work is "prepared by an employee within the scope of his or her employment" whenever the hiring party retains the right to control, or actually controls, the work is inconsistent with the language and legislative history of the work for hire provisions, and would distort the provisions' structure, which views works by employees and commissioned works by independent contractors as mutually exclusive entities.

2. The sculpture in question is not a "work made for hire" within the meaning of § 101. Reid was an independent contractor rather than a § 101(1) "employee" since, although CCNV members directed enough of the work to ensure that the statue met their specifications, all other relevant circumstances weigh heavily against finding an employment relationship. Reid engages in a skilled occupation; supplied his own tools; worked in Baltimore without daily supervision from Washington; was retained for a relatively short period of time; had absolute freedom to decide when and how long to work in order to meet his deadline; and had total discretion in hiring and paying assistants. Moreover, CCNV had no right to assign additional projects to Reid; paid him in a manner in which independent contractors are often compensated; did not engage regularly in the business of creating sculpture or, in fact, in any business; and did not pay payroll or Social Security taxes, provide any employee benefits, or contribute to unemployment insurance or workers' compensation funds. Furthermore, as petitioners concede, the work in question does not satisfy the terms of § 101(2).

3. However, CCNV nevertheless may be a joint author of the sculpture and, thus, a co-owner of the copyright under § 201(a), if, on remand, the District Court determines that the parties prepared the work with the intention that their contributions be merged into inseparable or interdependent parts of a unitary whole

For those of the less literate sense, Employee is not a photographer shooting a model, regardless if model paid employee or not.

You pointed it out Theda.
Now, You want to try and make me look bad because you do not agree, Fine. I can accept it because no matter what you seem to have this thing about it.

You lie.
You twist words.
You were the one that corrected me.
Go look at the thread.

Show me ANY model that does everything listed in Section 2 when hiring a photographer!

Jul 15 05 11:17 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 
Theda, You pointed out EXACTLY where it says that it can not. If you want, I will post the link again.
I said it could.
If you want to recall.
So which is it?

No, I pointed you to this, which defines the terms under which work is considered work for hire. Nothing indicates work for hire can't be a one-time arrangement. If I recall correctly, I was simply trying to explain to you that not every piece of contracted work is work for hire.

There are two situations in which work is considered work for hire. One is when the work is performed by an employee as part of their employment. The other is when an individual in contracted specifically for work for hire and the matter.

You simply don't seem to know how to extrapolate accurate facts from case law.

Jul 15 05 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by theda: 

Posted by Ty Simone: 
Theda, You pointed out EXACTLY where it says that it can not. If you want, I will post the link again.
I said it could.
If you want to recall.
So which is it?

No, I pointed you to this, which defines the terms under which work is considered work for hire. Nothing indicates work for hire can't be a one-time arrangement. If I recall correctly, I was simply trying to explain to you that not every piece of contracted work is work for hire.

No Theda. You pointed to THAT section in the Case of the Sculpture.

Jul 15 05 11:20 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

You don't own the copyright if you are asked to create a "work for hire." It has nothing to do with how often you do it. That is unrelated.

Jul 15 05 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Work for hire can cover one day or many years.

Jul 15 05 11:23 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 

Actually, I pointed to BOTH. That section you quoted applies to one specific situation. See section 101(1) for the criterea, none of which deal with duration fo contract or employment.

Jul 15 05 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Well, I tell you two what.
You go tell the courts that.
In the case cited, The company asked a sculpture to create a piece for them. By your definition, Work for hire.
The Company went to file the Copyright, as did the Sculpture.
The lawsuits ensued, and the Court ruled as above.

In order to be a work for hire, the person must be an employee in the conventional sense.
I.e. You give benefits, payroll taxes etc...

Read the findings. I will give you the gigalaw link as well.
giglaw link here

Funny how when I said before that this was possible, Theda jumped all over it and said NO NO NO!

and Theda, the brief covers 101(2), if you read it.

Jul 15 05 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by theda: 

Posted by Ty Simone: 

Actually, I pointed to BOTH. That section you quoted applies to one specific situation. See section 101(1) for the criterea, none of which deal with duration fo contract or employment.

HERE IS WHAT IT SAID IS THE MEANING UNDER 101!!!

§ 101(1) "employee" since, although CCNV members directed enough of the work to ensure that the statue met their specifications, all other relevant circumstances weigh heavily against finding an employment relationship. Reid engages in a skilled occupation; supplied his own tools; worked in Baltimore without daily supervision from Washington; was retained for a relatively short period of time; had absolute freedom to decide when and how long to work in order to meet his deadline; and had total discretion in hiring and paying assistants. Moreover, CCNV had no right to assign additional projects to Reid; paid him in a manner in which independent contractors are often compensated; did not engage regularly in the business of creating sculpture or, in fact, in any business; and did not pay payroll or Social Security taxes, provide any employee benefits, or contribute to unemployment insurance or workers' compensation funds

Get your story straight Theda!

Jul 15 05 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Wow this is still going on?

I see it moved to "Work for hire" now?

In a work for hire would the copyright depend on who is doing the hiring that would depend on who owns the property/copyright?

This is all i am asking on this, i gave up on this thread.

Jul 15 05 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Now, I will readily admit that you can in your agreement call it a work for hire, in order to assume copyright, and in that case it can be a one time thing. But that is contractual in nature.
You are using to the term to get the benefit within the contract.
I am not debating that possibility

as someone pointed out earlier, you can put anything in a contract.

Jul 15 05 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

LOL

Sorry one more post:
"The company asked a sculpture to create a piece for them."

First from the above statement the "Sculpture" has no right to go for copyright for this item, he was hired to make it for the company. This is the same as if he was employed by them, the company has all rights to it.

Jul 15 05 11:35 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I'm sorry if I mixed up the section 101(1) and 101(2). It is 101(2).

Regardless, the section dealing with contracted labor defines specific instances in which contracted labor is considered work for hire, which your old sculture case did not meet. However, duration of employment was not one of those criterea.

My story is straight minus one wee error, but your comprehension is very, very low.

Jul 15 05 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Peter Dattolo: 
Wow this is still going on?

I see it moved to "Work for hire" now?

In a work for hire would the copyright depend on who is doing the hiring that would depend on who owns the property/copyright?

This is all i am asking on this, i gave up on this thread.

If you read above Peter, the courts have defined worked for hire to mean a statutory employee.
You work for Time Magazine, anything you shoot is work for hire.

Being contracted to do something does not make it a work for hire, unless it says so in the contract.

Therefore a model that pays a photographer to do a portfolio shoot, unless she specifically states work for hire in the contract, or transfer of copyright, does not have a copyright claim.

To answer the gist of your question, Your employer has the copyright ina work for hire situation.

Jul 15 05 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Peter Dattolo: 
LOL

Sorry one more post:
"The company asked a sculpture to create a piece for them."

First from the above statement the "Sculpture" has no right to go for copyright for this item, he was hired to make it for the company. This is the same as if he was employed by them, the company has all rights to it.

The Court said otherwise.

Jul 15 05 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by theda: 

Regardless, the section dealing with contracted labor defines specific instances in which contracted labor is considered work for hire, which your old sculture case did not meet. However, duration of employment was not one of those criterea.

My story is straight minus one wee error, but your comprehension is very, very low.

(2) a work specially ordered or commissioned for use as a contribution to a collective work, as a part of a motion picture or other audiovisual work, as a translation, as a supplementary work, as a compilation, as an instructional text, as a test, as answer material for a test, or as an atlas, if the parties expressly agree in a written instrument signed by them that the work shall be considered a work made for hire.

THEY HAVE TO STATE SUCH!
NO ONE IS ARGUING THAT YOU CAN NOT STATE SUCH!
Get off your high horse!!

Jul 15 05 11:39 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Without reading the decision, if the company had signed a contract with the artist that stated it was a "work for hire" they would have been fine.

Jul 15 05 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 
In the case cited, The company asked a sculpture to create a piece for them. By your definition, Work for hire.

In order to be a work for hire, the person must be an employee in the conventional sense.

giglaw link here

Funny how when I said before that this was possible, Theda jumped all over it and said NO NO NO!

One case does not a law make. From the link. " since sculpture is not one of the nine categories of "specially ordered or commissioned" works enumerated therein, and the parties had not agreed in writing that the sculpture would be a work for hire. However, the court remanded for a determination whether the statue was jointly authored by CCNV and Reid, such that they were co-owners of the copyright under § 201(a)."

Quick breakdown on Work for hire. Company A hires you to do a specific job. Example: Take meds from the pharmacy to a nursing home. Under Work for hire you would be a contractor. You are responsible for your tools and expenses. Under a Work for hire Company A CAN NOT tell you how to get to the nursing home or when to get there. They can't say "Take this road, then this road, then this road" If they do it changes the Work for hire to an employee situation.

Work for hire has to do more with control than compensation. How much control does the paying party have.

In the sculpture case the problem was there was no work for hire agreement.

Jul 15 05 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
Without reading the decision, if the company had signed a contract with the artist that stated it was a "work for hire" they would have been fine.

100% correct Xtreme.
I am not disputing that at all.

Jul 15 05 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Posted by Ty Simone: 

giglaw link here

One case does not a law make. From the link. " since sculpture is not one of the nine categories of "specially ordered or commissioned" works enumerated therein, and the parties had not agreed in writing that the sculpture would be a work for hire. However, the court remanded for a determination whether the statue was jointly authored by CCNV and Reid, such that they were co-owners of the copyright under § 201(a)."

Quick breakdown on Work for hire. Company A hires you to do a specific job. Example: Take meds from the pharmacy to a nursing home. Under Work for hire you would be a contractor. You are responsible for your tools and expenses. Under a Work for hire Company A CAN NOT tell you how to get to the nursing home or when to get there. They can't say "Take this road, then this road, then this road" If they do it changes the Work for hire to an employee situation.

Work for hire has to do more with control than compensation. How much control does the paying party have.

Mike, No one is arguing that you can not make a work for hire agreement, in writing, for a one time thing.

In the case of the sculpture, The court stated they sufficiently directed him.
That was not the issue.
The issue was what truly is work for hire.
In this case, the court determined that he needs to be a statutory employee, not a contractor.

As for your statement, one case does not a law make.
Um, Yes it does when it is the Supreme Court that ruled, as in this case.

Jul 15 05 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

"Therefore a model that pays a photographer to do a portfolio shoot, unless she specifically states work for hire in the contract, or transfer of copyright, does not have a copyright claim."

If a model contacted me for photos and paid me for a shoot i would assume she would have copyright over me. She came to me and is paying me for the photos. The way i see it is i woul dhave to negotiate with her to use those photos for my usage.

"To answer the gist of your question, Your employer has the copyright ina work for hire situation."

This is correct as i see it also but it also this includes Contractors, part time help, temp employment (kelly services as an example). These people fall into the catagory of "Employees" and any invention or benefit to that said company is the company property.
The sculpture was actualy a "Temp" employee/contractor when they hired him to do the work.

Ok no matter what is said im done on this thread, good day all.

Jul 15 05 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Peter Dattolo: 
"Therefore a model that pays a photographer to do a portfolio shoot, unless she specifically states work for hire in the contract, or transfer of copyright, does not have a copyright claim."

If a model contacted me for photos and paid me for a shoot i would assume she would have copyright over me. She came to me and is paying me for the photos. The way i see it is i woul dhave to negotiate with her to use those photos for my usage.

"To answer the gist of your question, Your employer has the copyright ina work for hire situation."

This is correct as i see it also but it also this includes Contractors, part time help, temp employment (kelly services as an example). These people fall into the catagory of "Employees" and any invention or benefit to that said company is the company property.
The sculpture was actualy a "Temp" employee/contractor when they hired him to do the work.

Ok no matter what is said im done on this thread, good day all.

Peter, That is NOT what the Supreme Court said.
Therefore, It is your personal belief only.

A Temp employee is usually covered by the contract placing the Temp within the Company.
Such as when I get Temp programmers.

But, without specifically saying so, The court has ruled it is not a work for hire for copyright purposes.

Jul 15 05 11:48 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Peter Dattolo: 

If a model contacted me for photos and paid me for a shoot i would assume she would have copyright over me. 

Because you haven't taken the time to talk to an IP attorney.

Jul 15 05 11:48 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 
THEY HAVE TO STATE SUCH!

My high horse? You're the one that came out saying that work for hire can't be a one-time arrangement and I told you so. You made a false statement and attributed it to me. Now you're not arguing the point you made? So what the hell ARE you arguing?

Jul 15 05 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

X would this be correct if she was paying me for the photos/negatives and to "just" take them? This is what i was thinking when i wrote:

"Posted by Peter Dattolo:

If a model contacted me for photos and paid me for a shoot i would assume she would have copyright over me."

Jul 15 05 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Posted by Ty Simone: 

giglaw link here

Mike, No one is arguing that you can not make a work for hire agreement, in writing, for a one time thing.

In the case of the sculpture, The court stated they sufficiently directed him.
That was not the issue.
The issue was what truly is work for hire.
In this case, the court determined that he needs to be a statutory employee, not a contractor.

As for your statement, one case does not a law make.
Um, Yes it does when it is the Supreme Court that ruled, as in this case.

Has the Supreme Court ruled on this one? Point is in this case the court took into account how much control the paying party had. Was THIS case a work for hire. Did THESE people meet that standard. Find the genral rules for a Work For Hire and go by that. Seems to me the key to this one was the lack of agreement before hand on what the "employment" was and who owned the copyright.

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

To Recap, So Theda can not try to again make an issue because of her vendetta against me, which she has for some reason....

FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS:
Unless a contract specifically states Work-For-Hire, OR you are an Employee of a Company where your Job is to Photograph, Like a staff photographer, Even if you get paid by the contractor, for copyright purposes it is NOT work-for-hire.

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I'm just curious if the work for hire issue relates to Tyler's question at all...

Jul 15 05 11:53 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Ty Simone: 
FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS:
Unless a contract specifically states Work-For-Hire, OR you are an Employee of a Company where your Job is to Photograph, Like a staff photographer, Even if you get paid by the contractor, for copyright purposes it is NOT work-for-hire.

Seems reasonable to me.

Jul 15 05 11:53 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 
To Recap, So Theda can not try to again make an issue because of her vendetta against me, which she has for some reason....

My vendetta aginst you?

Ty, have you taken your el dopa today?

Anyway, the work for hire issue has nothign to with Tyler's question. Hooray for tangents!

Jul 15 05 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by theda: 

Posted by Ty Simone: 
THEY HAVE TO STATE SUCH!

My high horse? You're the one that came out saying that work for hire can't be a one-time arrangement and I told you so. You made a false statement and attributed it to me. Now you're not arguing the point you made? So what the hell ARE you arguing?

Theda, We already said numerous times in threads that you can put anything you want in a contract.
No one is disputing that.

You then try to cite 101(2) as proof that there is no time limit, but those are special circumstance that require a Written agreement.

The discussion started about his statement in reference to Work For hire.
I actually commended you for pointing out that the courts had ruled differently.
However, in you vendetta, you decide to pick and choose pieces, without taking everything as a whole and decide that since Piece A taken by itself, and not in Context, is incorrect, That I am therefore wrong.
You did that before as well.

No one would EVER question that a Work For Hire clause can not be added to a contract and therefore be a one time thing.
That was not what the discussion was about.

Out of context, like you took it, sure, I am wrong.
But that is ONLY because you chose one piece of an ongoing discussion.
And based on that, You make the blanket claim "See, Ty, statements like this are why I don't listen to your interpretation of legalese."

Well, Strange as it sounds, I believe you 100%.
You can not even listen to a complete discussion.

But be that as it may, I could care less if you listen to me or not.

Again, No one is stating anywhere that a contract can not specifically state Work-for-Hire That was not even in debate.
However, Short of said contract, a one time thing is NOT work for hire.

By the way Theda. You originally called me to task because I stated a commissioned piece could be work for hire.
You said I had no clue.
Funny that a case went all the way to the Supremem Court about exactly what I thought would be a legitimate argument for the Commissioning Party to make.

If you remember it was strikingly similar.
Considering I do not have a Paralegal on staff to research the rulings, Nor a library here either, nor should I, I think it was rather great that I picked an argument of legal interpretation that was already tried.
Of course, Had I the time to do all the research into that one issue, I would have eventually found the final ruling myself.
I was already on that track....
Of course, you did point out where the Court had finally ruled.

Jul 15 05 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by theda: 
Anyway, the work for hire issue has nothign to with Tyler's question. Hooray for tangents!

Far be it for me to complain about thread hijacking. I just was wondering if I missed something. :-)

Jul 15 05 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by theda: 

Far be it for me to complain about thread hijacking. I just was wondering if I missed something. :-)

Blame Theda!
She Started it!

Or Peter!

Or Aaron!!!!!

I am INNOCENT! I SWEAR! I did not have sex with that woman.......

Jul 15 05 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

I'm just curious if the work for hire issue relates to Tyler's question at all...

Shhhh. we are going for the 500 mark.

Jul 15 05 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

You reminded me, I wanted to stop posting at 1967, but Mystic 7 was so much fun I forgot.

Now I have to start over.

Jul 15 05 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by theda: 

Blame Theda!
She Started it!

Or Peter!

Or Aaron!!!!!

I am INNOCENT! I SWEAR! I did not have sex with that woman.......

She says he tried to have sex with you ... but you couldn't really call the "final product".. sex

:-)

Jul 15 05 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 

Posted by theda: 

(2) a work specially ordered or commissioned for use as a contribution to a collective work, as a part of a motion picture or other audiovisual work, as a translation, as a supplementary work, as a compilation, as an instructional text, as a test, as answer material for a test, or as an atlas, if the parties expressly agree in a written instrument signed by them that the work shall be considered a work made for hire.

THEY HAVE TO STATE SUCH!

but you did argue that ty, you said it was only possible under an employee/employer relationship and never as a one time occurrence. i tried to point out to you that work for hire being the nature of the work because of the existing employer/employee circumstances was only one form, not the ONLY form, the other form can come under a specific work for hire agreement, which can only be valid if signed b4 the fact, as spelled out in the work for hire section of the copyright law

Jul 15 05 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

I gotta go to work.. Yeah piss test today... Anyhow I will check in later. I want to see this thread up to 20 pages when I get back... Come on guys I know you can do it. I have full confidence in you.

Jul 15 05 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Indirectly Yes...
Want me to link it up.

You have an idiot manager that claims that a Photographer's Picture of his girlfriend is violating her Right to Publicity.
Since Tyler wanted a review of that, and we determined there is no RoP Claim, the only thing left in the chain is Copyright, Therefore, Before Boyfriend Manager can claim he has copyright because it was a work for hire, We are clarifying that as well...
Call it a preemptive strike!!!

Jul 15 05 12:13 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 
By the way Theda. You originally called me to task because I stated a commissioned piece could be work for hire.

No, I said a commissioned piece was not automatically considered work for hire.

You specifically said it could not be one time thing, repeatedly, in no modifying context, in an attmept to prove Aaron wrong about something irrelevent just because you seem to enjoy that sort of thing.

Jul 15 05 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Aaron_H: 

Posted by Ty Simone: 

Posted by theda: 

THEY HAVE TO STATE SUCH!

but you did argue that ty, you said it was only possible under an employee/employer relationship and never as a one time occurrence. i tried to point out to you that work for hire being the nature of the work because of the existing employer/employee circumstances was only one form, not the ONLY form, the other form can come under a specific work for hire agreement, which can only be valid if signed b4 the fact, as spelled out in the work for hire section of the copyright law

No Aaron, We have said from early on that a Contract can say anything.
Put it back in Context.
A contract can say that Mike gets the copyrights, that has never been at issue.
We were talking about commissioned work, Not an agreed upon Work for Hire.

Jul 15 05 12:15 pm Link