Forums > Critique > Confused

Photographer

Freelancer

Kingwood, West Virginia, US

I've been advised to look at other portfolios here to help me improve mine. I've been doing this & I've been finding alot of pics that arent cropped nearly as tightly as I've been advised, by several photographers, to crop mine.

Jul 12 05 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

You could get Monte Zucker to crop these and it wouldn't help.  Just a few things that stand out:

1. you've still got that goofy girl with the flag hanging on.  It's disgraceful and I wish you'd get rid of it.

2. You're shooting lingerie in the woods.  Geez.

3. You've got models lying on towels in the woods.

4. You've got a shot with a model with more wrinkles in her belly than I have hair on my head.

Save the flower shots and get rid of everything else.

Paul

Jul 12 05 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

Posted by Freelancer: 
I've been advised to look at other portfolios here to help me improve mine. I've been doing this & I've been finding alot of pics that arent cropped nearly as tightly as I've been advised, by several photographers, to crop mine.

steve cropping doesnt always mean tighter, remeber the rule of thirds, sometimes that means putting your model off center in the image, your models are fine, but i agree that your placement may seem a little out ofplace, not that we havent all shot these types of images, but a nature shot doesnt usually involve towels/blankets, here is where a professional model makes her money, laying on cold hard rocks and making them look comfortable, its hard to look past the woman and see just the shape and the light but thats what you need to do, when you can do that your images will really take off. keep trying. i assume that you are shootin digital, what do you use,and what lenses do you have? and do you have access to any lighting equiptment, even hot lights. you may want to try some studio shots,you can use a garage,(hence the term garage glamour) or rent one of those storage places, jus tmake sure that it has adequite power, it doesnt have to be big,( look up eric bouilter-brown) you can set up the lighting before your model arrives, work slower, your model will be more relaxed, even download images to see what needs to be changed.
just some thoughts

Jul 13 05 01:54 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by robert christopher: 

Posted by Freelancer: 

steve cropping doesnt always mean tighter, remeber the rule of thirds, sometimes that means putting your model off center in the image, your models are fine, but i agree that your placement may seem a little out ofplace, not that we havent all shot these types of images, but a nature shot doesnt usually involve towels/blankets, here is where a professional model makes her money, laying on cold hard rocks and making them look comfortable, its hard to look past the woman and see just the shape and the light but thats what you need to do, when you can do that your images will really take off. keep trying. i assume that you are shootin digital, what do you use,and what lenses do you have? and do you have access to any lighting equiptment, even hot lights. you may want to try some studio shots,you can use a garage,(hence the term garage glamour) or rent one of those storage places, jus tmake sure that it has adequite power, it doesnt have to be big,( look up eric bouilter-brown) you can set up the lighting before your model arrives, work slower, your model will be more relaxed, even download images to see what needs to be changed.
just some thoughts

Thanks again for your suggestions. I had already decided to get rid of the blankets for future shoots. I use a Canon Powershot A95 digital camera. I prefer shooting outdoors though.

Jul 13 05 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 
You could get Monte Zucker to crop these and it wouldn't help.  Just a few things that stand out:

1. you've still got that goofy girl with the flag hanging on.  It's disgraceful and I wish you'd get rid of it.

2. You're shooting lingerie in the woods.  Geez.

3. You've got models lying on towels in the woods.

4. You've got a shot with a model with more wrinkles in her belly than I have hair on my head.

Save the flower shots and get rid of everything else.

Paul

1. Apparently you are one of those flag worshipers I was talking about earlier.
2. I shoot lingerie outdoors because few others are doing it. I want my work to stand out. Although your work is technically very well executed, it looks like the work of a thousand others.
3. I've already decided the blankets are history.
4. I'm assuming you're referring to the nude on the black sheet since that's the closest thing I see to a girl with wrinkles on her belly in my pics. All I see is a definite line between her abdomen & her pelvic area. All humans have that to some extent.

Jul 13 05 08:18 am Link

Photographer

CharliesImages

Raleigh, Illinois, US

Posted by Freelancer: 

Freelancer:  While you seem to be concentrating on cropping (and that is an important element) I feel ther are a few other basics you need to work on.

You want to do outdoor photos, fine.  Just make sure you are making outdoor shots look natural.  My advice to you right now is to forget lingerie, nudes, topless, etc. until you are able to do a quality outdoor photo session.  Have your models in casual or fashion.  Work on composition, posing, etc.  Once your work starts showing improvment in those areas, then you can attempt the other things. 

One more comment, if you ask for others to review and comment on your work, don't attack them or their opinions.

Charlie

Jul 13 05 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Paul thats not cool to talk about a model like that, she may read this post also.
Keep the comments to his work.

Jul 13 05 08:33 am Link

Photographer

StudioGuru

Swindon, England, United Kingdom

Posted by Peter Dattolo: 
Paul thats not cool to talk about a model like that, she may read this post also.

Sorry but if the model doesn't know how to pose so the wrinkles dont show and the photog doesn't know how to light it to minimise the wrinkles, then ask for critique, no one can say anything to anyone for pointng out the obvious.

Also no one should say anything constructive as no one else is a super GWC as freelancer.

Jul 13 05 09:16 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Peter Dattolo: 

He did. It's not cool to stifle commentary.

Jul 13 05 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by CharliesImages: 

Posted by Freelancer: 

Freelancer:  While you seem to be concentrating on cropping (and that is an important element) I feel ther are a few other basics you need to work on.

You want to do outdoor photos, fine.  Just make sure you are making outdoor shots look natural.  My advice to you right now is to forget lingerie, nudes, topless, etc. until you are able to do a quality outdoor photo session.  Have your models in casual or fashion.  Work on composition, posing, etc.  Once your work starts showing improvment in those areas, then you can attempt the other things. 

One more comment, if you ask for others to review and comment on your work, don't attack them or their opinions.

Charlie

Ok. Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, I'm doing the best composition possible considering where the sun is coming from & keeping out unattractive elements such as "No Hunting" posters & brush.

Jul 13 05 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by StudioGuru: 

Posted by Peter Dattolo: 

Sorry but if the model doesn't know how to pose so the wrinkles dont show and the photog doesn't know how to light it to minimise the wrinkles, then ask for critique, no one can say anything to anyone for pointng out the obvious.

Also no one should say anything constructive as no one else is a super GWC as freelancer.

What is GWC?

Jul 13 05 10:25 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Freelancer: 

Posted by StudioGuru: 

Posted by Peter Dattolo: 

What is GWC?

Guy With Camera: Someone who is using photography as an excuse to get women to disrobe for them or to get dates with internet models. Usually they have poorly lit, composed, cropped images of nudes. The photos display a disdain for photography on the part of the shooter.

GWC's often claim to have attended schools, or be professional photographers, but their porfolios never live up to the hyperbole.

Jul 13 05 10:31 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Freelancer: 

Ok. Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, I'm doing the best composition possible considering where the sun is coming from & keeping out unattractive elements such as "No Hunting" posters & brush.

No you are not. You are taking GWC photos, and making excuses for them.

Jul 13 05 10:32 am Link

Model

Angie Rae

Lawton, Iowa, US

There are also alot of really nice dresses, that look wonderful on models for outdoor shots. Leave something to the imagination Steven, those are alot more fun to look at than a model who is butt naked in the woods. You need to add a little reality to your shots also. Guys, be nice. If he was just a GWC, he wouldn't be asking for your help. I happen to know Steven very well, and he is not just some perv with a camera. I think the new pictures are looking a little better than the first ones you posted Steven, and believe you are trying hard to improve. I have a friend who used to shoot outdoor shots professionally and will be more than happy to have him send you some tips.

Jul 13 05 10:43 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Dear Freelancer,

You write:

"Ok. Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, I'm doing the best composition possible considering where the sun is coming from & keeping out unattractive elements such as "No Hunting" posters & brush."

Perhaps the most diffiucult aspect in photography is to develop a strong personal style. To achieve this you have to look at many photographs and for a long while immitate (to perfection) the styles that attract you. Slowly but surely you will begin to put a personal stamp on what you do. You will need patience and a cast iron defence from those who will be brutal in their condemnation. Those who have been brutal perhaps (no, for sure) went through your own steps and missteps. They have simpy forgotten. But when you ask for their advice you will have to take it. Defending what you have done is simply going to bring in the sharks for the kill.

But in photography there is one indifensible excuse. You write about where the the sun is coming from. Ansel Adams is one of many thousands of photographers who waited for light to be the way they wanted it to be. He like most photographers knew that photography is the control of contrast. This is why so many photographers light their pictures outside. They may be inpatient about waiting for God's light to coinside with their own expectations.

And as for the criticism leveled at you for showing models with underwear outside and how they look strange I would just say that a woman in underwear on a motorbike is just as strange.

The flag thing is one I cannot really comment on much. I am an Argentine by birth and a Canadian by choice. I recently had to rent an American flag for a photograph to illustrate the Puccini opera Madame Butterfly. The woman who rented me the flag (at a rental costume place) had been given the flag by an American soldier during WWII. She asked me not to allow the flag to touch the ground. I was  touched by her request and that flag never touched the ground.

Jul 13 05 10:58 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by alexwh: 

And as for the criticism leveled at you for showing models with underwear outside and how they look strange I would just say that a woman in underwear on a motorbike is just as strange.

I agree. So do naked women peeling vaginal-looking fuits. Strange is not always bad.

Freelancer has been given advice in 5 critiques now, and has failed to apply any of the suggestions given, instead making excuses for problems that all photographers face.

His portfolio originally stated he was a graduate from a New York photography school. I have questioned his sincerity since then.

Jul 13 05 11:11 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

2 Things.

1- Learn the meaning of "Depth of Field".  Then use the proper Depth of Field in your photos to make the model stand out more (and the background stand out less).

2- The flag thing IS an issue.  It shows much disrespect.  Osama and Saddam LOVE to see the types of American Flag photos like you've displayed... their only request is that they'd like to see it shoved up the models orifices a little bit more, as Osama and Saddam think that the American Flag is the same thing as a diaper.  You apparently believe it's only good enough to absorb the sweat from the models body.

Jul 13 05 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by Angie Rae: 
There are also alot of really nice dresses, that look wonderful on models for outdoor shots. Leave something to the imagination Steven, those are alot more fun to look at than a model who is butt naked in the woods. You need to add a little reality to your shots also. Guys, be nice. If he was just a GWC, he wouldn't be asking for your help. I happen to know Steven very well, and he is not just some perv with a camera. I think the new pictures are looking a little better than the first ones you posted Steven, and believe you are trying hard to improve. I have a friend who used to shoot outdoor shots professionally and will be more than happy to have him send you some tips. 

Thanks sweetheart

Jul 13 05 11:30 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by SayCheeZ!: 
2 Things.

1- Learn the meaning of "Depth of Field".  Then use the proper Depth of Field in your photos to make the model stand out more (and the background stand out less).

2- The flag thing IS an issue.  It shows much disrespect.  Osama and Saddam LOVE to see the types of American Flag photos like you've displayed... their only request is that they'd like to see it shoved up the models orifices a little bit more, as Osama and Saddam think that the American Flag is the same thing as a diaper.  You apparently believe it's only good enough to absorb the sweat from the models body.

I think you are the 5th or 6th person to give him this advice.

His only reply is that the lens is sharpest at f/8 which is scary considering how blurry the flag photo is...

I told him to buy a 50mm f/1.8 for $50, and to stop making excuses. Instead, he posts the same images over and over in the hopes that someone will tell him he's doing fine.

Jul 13 05 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by alexwh: 

I agree. So do naked women peeling vaginal-looking fuits. Strange is not always bad.

Freelancer has been given advice in 5 critiques now, and has failed to apply any of the suggestions given, instead making excuses for problems that all photographers face.

His portfolio originally stated he was a graduate from a New York photography school. I have questioned his sincerity since then. 

Name: Steven E. Titchenell
Student ID#: 081917
Instructor: Jerry Rice
Date of graduation: 12/5/97
http://www.nyip.com

Jul 13 05 11:34 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

https://www.sfgate.com/chronicle/pictures/2000/12/17/jerry-264x210-rice.jpg

Jul 13 05 11:39 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
...he posts the same images over and over in the hopes that someone will tell him he's doing fine.

In that case:

YOU'RE DOING FINE!
(now, stop posting the same images over and over!)

Jul 13 05 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by SayCheeZ!: 
2 Things.

I named the photo "Freedom" to show, that in this country, I'm free to create such an image.
  I see plenty of photos on here that I don't like, but I realize the photographers have just as much right to create them as I did & I keep my opinions to myself.

Jul 13 05 11:47 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Freelancer: 
I keep my opinions to myself.

That's contrary to a critique however.

Jul 13 05 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Ian Powell

Columbus, Ohio, US

Before we shove stuff like depth of field down freelancers gullit it might be a good Idea to talk about shooting with something other then a powershot / point and shoot digital. Some of the very Valid complaints / sudjestions aren't always Valid when the Equipment doesn't work that way. If there is no manual control talking depth of field and f stops is a waste of good air

Posted by SayCheeZ!: 
2 Things.

Jul 13 05 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by Ian Powell: 
Before we shove stuff like depth of field down freelancers gullit it might be a good Idea to talk about shooting with something other then a powershot / point and shoot digital. Some of the very Valid complaints / sudjestions aren't always Valid when the Equipment doesn't work that way. If there is no manual control talking depth of field and f stops is a waste of good air

Posted by SayCheeZ!: 
2 Things.

The Canon Powershot A95 has a manual mode. But none of these images were shot with it. Some were shot with a Pentax P30t & the rest with a Pentax ZX-M

Jul 13 05 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Freelancer: 

And just how the hell do you know I'm not doing the best I can? You don't know what this area is like or what kind of obstacles there are to shoot around! There is no way to know all the necessary things about an outdoor location until you get there. Which is exactly why I won't travel to areas hours away from me that I'm not familiar with.

Jul 13 05 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

swavjusis

New York, New York, US

Concepts of style / art / creativity have so many interpritations that this comment can be considered one.

Here Goes,
Diversity in a portfolio often shows well - if you mix angles / settings / composition / cropping I believe a portfolio looks stronger. As you shoot more you develop your own style but should not limit yourself to setting or straight frontal shooting. The Images end up looking too similar and not point out your skills.
Try some things that you have never done before and mix things up. Might even make your "Style" change over time to fit your own evolving tastes.
Good Luck - Swav Jusis

Jul 13 05 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Freelancer: 
I keep my opinions to myself.

That's contrary to a critique however.

True. But I feel that constructive criticism should be about the technical aspects of the image. Not whether or not the person offering the criticism approves of the subject matter of the image.

Jul 13 05 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by swavjusis: 
Concepts of style / art / creativity have so many interpritations that this comment can be considered one.

Here Goes,
Diversity in a portfolio often shows well - if you mix angles / settings / composition / cropping I believe a portfolio looks stronger. As you shoot more you develop your own style but should not limit yourself to setting or straight frontal shooting. The Images end up looking too similar and not point out your skills.
Try some things that you have never done before and mix things up. Might even make your "Style" change over time to fit your own evolving tastes.
Good Luck - Swav Jusis

Thanks for the advice.

Jul 13 05 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

I guess you'd rather be a smart ass than check me out. Afraid you'll find out I'm telling the truth about NYI & Mr. Rice? And that my final G.P.A. was 91%?

Jul 13 05 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Freelancer: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Freelancer: 

And just how the hell do you know I'm not doing the best I can? You don't know what this area is like or what kind of obstacles there are to shoot around! There is no way to know all the necessary things about an outdoor location until you get there. Which is exactly why I won't travel to areas hours away from me that I'm not familiar with. 

I have eyes and can see.

Jul 13 05 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Freelancer: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

I guess you'd rather be a smart ass than check me out. Afraid you'll find out I'm telling the truth about NYI & Mr. Rice? And that my final G.P.A. was 91%?

LOL...you are the funniest spoof...way better than GWC!

Jul 13 05 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Low Tek Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by SayCheeZ!: 

Let's not let this turn into a political/terrorist rant. I've seen worse model shots involving an American flag. Not a single one of them promoted terrorism or disrespect, although most of them were in fact pretty tasteless.

Its been established. If someone has a rock and a chisel, we can set it in stone. Freelancer, for the 40th time, the flag shot sucks.

Freelancer, what boggles my mind is your insistent attitude on trying to prove yourself among the community here. GO HOME, practice for a few months, THEN come back and post some of your work here. I'm beginning to think you are just a forum attention whore.

Jul 13 05 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Just to set the record straight. When I asked for constructive criticism, I meant the technical aspects of my work. Not my style.

Jul 13 05 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

You were given technical comments 5 critiques ago and have not applied them.

I think Jerry Rice would say you've dropped the ball!

Jul 13 05 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

The funny thing is that many, many years ago when you could make blond jokes and get away with it I remember seeing a cartoon in the New Yorker that had an attractive blond on one side of a photo store counter and on the other there was a young salesman. The caption read, "Yes, but why do round lenses produce rectangular photographs?" I have asked this question to fourth year photography students at the local Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design and you would be surprised how many people don't know the one strictly correct answer. One hint on this are the 100 available shots in the original Kodak # 1 camera. And how many here know exactly the difference between depth of field and depth of focus? And do we need to mention Saddam in connection to the US flag? Trough the years there has been lots of home-grown flag burning.

Jul 13 05 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by alexwh: 
The funny thing is that many, many years ago when you could make blond jokes and get away with it I remember seeing a cartoon in the New Yorker that had an attractive blond on one side of a photo store counter and on the other there was a young salesman. The caption read, "Yes, but why do round lenses produce rectangular photographs?" I have asked this question to fourth year photography students at the local Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design and you would be surprised how many people don't know the one strictly correct answer. One hint on this are the 100 available shots in the original Kodak # 1 camera. And how many here know exactly the difference between depth of field and depth of focus? And do we need to mention Saddam in connection to the US flag? Trough the years there has been lots of home-grown flag burning.

Let's see...I know depth of field is the plane between the foreground and background that is within acceptable focus (i.e. small circles of confusion). Depth of focus has to do with the distance over which light is focused on the film or sensor, not how much of the subject is in focus.

In other words Depth of Field is in front of the lens (what's going in) and depth of focus is behind it (what's going out).

Round lenses take round photos, but the cameras (today rectangular sensors) crop them.

Regarding the flag...he should have "flopped" the photo so the stars would be on the left.

Jul 13 05 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Dear Xtreme,

Almost with flying colours (unflopped).I have never looked into a DSLR. But I do know that DSLRs have shutters. It is at the shutter where the rectangle of the shutter opening crops the photo to a rectangular shape.You could put a round sensor but only the rectangular section would be read. But this proves my point that many (you are a very definite exception) take photos without knowing the mechanics of things so we should't be so harsh on beginners (even if they have degrees from very good photo schools).

I am taking a course in Phoshop CS and last week our instructor told us that we could not send tifs by email. It is my ability to send tifs by email to magazines that has made Fedex irrelevant to my life. And here we have an instructor who should know better. For me photography is like military boot camp. Every once in a while we should return for a session to keep us on our feet.

For more on this read here:http://www.artsandopinion.com/2003_v2_n3/hayward.htm

Jul 13 05 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

You're right of course. It is the shutter.

Minor point: My dSLR has a 1.6 crop factor (since it's smaller than a 35mm negative) and the shutter is designed to conform to the sensor. Kind of like the tail wagging the dog from a film point of view...

Nevertheless you are correct.

Jul 13 05 10:15 pm Link