Forums > General Industry > Should Figure Models Wear A Robe When Not Posing?

Model

J-P

Holiday Heights, New Jersey, US

Do wear a robe on breaks- not everyone is comfortable with social nudity. Jon

Jul 02 09 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Stann Hoyle wrote:
...Oakton Community Colleges has a rule that we must respect everyones religion and ethnic and moral issues.  Students who have issues about nudity are allowed to sketch other people who wear some type of body covering...

I can't remember ever hearing of any art classes other than those called "Figure Drawing" (or "Figure Painting", etc.) having nude models.  And every art class I've ever heard of with "Figure" in it's course title DOES always have nude models in it.  That's what drawing or painting the "figure" is - a "figure" isn't a body with clothes on it, it's a body without clothes on it.  So why would someone even enroll in a "figure" art class if they aren't okay with seeing nude bodies.  It's always mentioned in the course description that the course includes live nude models!

Everyone should visit a nudist resort at least once in their lives.  They would discover in about 5 minutes that it is no big deal whatsoever...and it especially is NOT sexual.  What most people quickly figure out is that it's clothing that makes the nude body sexy.

Jul 02 09 01:40 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

I only use a robe if i am cold. But i have only worked for very casual classes (not in educational establishments). If a photographer seems uncomfortable with my nudity it does make me feel a little uncomfortable.

Jul 02 09 01:54 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Depends with who I shoot. And if I'm cold.

I barely notice I'm nude sometimes.

Jul 02 09 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Fiddlers Green Photo

Edmonds, Washington, US

I always bring or have a nice clean warm robe for the model, they never use it! Most just say OK lets go!

Jul 02 09 10:14 pm Link

Model

Janice Marie Foote

And oh yeah, it's especially important to have a robe or some covering on when one goes to use the bathroom, eat at their cafeteria (if they have one) or roaming the halls on a longer break!!! smile

Jul 03 09 06:15 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

The more time I have to study the model, the more ideas I can think up for poses.

Jul 03 09 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Stann Hoyle

Skokie, Illinois, US

Fiddlers Green Photo wrote:
I always bring or have a nice clean warm robe for the model, they never use it! Most just say OK lets go!

At my studio, I find that some of the new models appreciate when I offer them a robe, even if they only wear it for one minute.  Occasionally I have a day when up to twelve models will be here; on those days, there are usually a couple of models who like wearing a robe.
Six of the models I work with, also pose at college art classes; there they usually bring their own robe.

Jul 05 09 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Crimson Clover

Nuevo, California, US

I have a robe ready - But very few of the models I have worked with, have had much inclination to use it - unless we are in an outdoor location shoot when it is cool/cold.

I've asked some of them about this - and several replied that it was appreciated that I had it to offer - but, that the robe is one more thing to fuss with -

CrimsonC

Jul 05 09 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Zytkiewicz

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Thomas DelPorte wrote:
... a teacher might not want to compete with the visual distraction during a lecture... so they may ask the model to cover during their points...

I think this is the best point so far.

Jul 05 09 09:28 am Link

Model

Camilla Maris

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

I haven't modeled for an art class but I did graduate with a BFA in painting so I've had a lot of experience in a classroom environment with nude models..

Most of this may have already been said, but my two cents pertaining to art classes in a public setting:

In the figure drawing/painting sessions I've attended, the model come in with loose clothing on (to avoid lines).  They don't put clothing on between poses, unless there is a long break, in which case they often throw on a robe or their original outfit.  During breaks many of the people drawing/painting go to stretch their legs or get a snack, often the model does as well.  The classes I took were anywhere from 4-6 hours long, a very long time for a model to stay in the room without a break!  While there's nothing wrong with nudity in an art class, it would be rather inappropriate for them to go off to grab a coffee on a campus or wherever in the buff. 

I would tell them to bring a robe as well as wearing loose clothing to begin with, the rooms can often be cold and robes make for quick changes so you don't keep people waiting.  Even if they don't end up using it, what's the harm?

A private drawing session or photoshoot is very different from a public figure drawing/painting session, some of it's a question of what's professional but a lot of it's just common sense.

Jul 05 09 09:30 am Link

Model

Camilla Maris

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

Thomas DelPorte wrote:
With that said... a teacher might not want to compete with the visual distraction during a lecture... so they may ask the model to cover during their points...

The classrooms I've been in this hasn't been a problem, most students very professional about it and are so used to the nude figure that they hardly pay attention to someone being nude in the room.  I don't know if this is the norm but I suspect it's pretty common.  Best bet would be for the model to bring a robe and talk to the teacher before hand about what they prefer.

Jul 05 09 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Kenny Thomas

Tucson, Arizona, US

Mistur Photography wrote:
A robe is appropriate between sittings.

I've done some modeling.  The only thing appropriate is nudity.

Jul 05 09 09:42 am Link

Photographer

MLRPhoto

Olivet, Michigan, US

JC Digital Photography wrote:
Honestly I don't care either way... it is nice when the model does not get dressed in between, since I often get some candid and interesting shots I would not have otherwise gotten... When she does put a robe on or clothes, it is good to, since I don't become to acclumated (spelling) to seeing her nude...

Stella Dean wrote:
You take nude pictures of models when they aren't expecting it?

I was wondering about that.
Once, I did an hour long fully nude set with a model, then she put some clothes on for the walk to a different location.  Part way through, she was topless in jeans drinking a coke, and I asked permission to shoot.  It was "off time" and to just take the picture would have been, in my opinion, intrusive.  Obviously, it depends on the details of the arrangements.

Jul 05 09 11:27 am Link

Photographer

MLRPhoto

Olivet, Michigan, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
I find it a little ridiculous that its unprofessional for a NUDE model to be COMFORTABLE while shes trying to work... hmm

dave wright art wrote:
There are people who hire figure models who expect models to conduct themselves in a professional manner, which includes wearing a robe when they're not modeling.

Those people might not appreciate you lounging around naked on your breaks, and they might not hire you again, or recommend you to others.

There are people who hire figure models who respect their professionalism and judgment, and base hiring choices on how well the model's look, skills, and price fit the project.

Jul 05 09 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

One thing that I don't hear here, is the exhibitionist perspective.

It's been my experience that many of my models are exhibitionists and enjoy any excuse to be naked in front of other people.

In those cases, a robe is of no interest to them and they like the opportunity to walk around nude.

They prefer nudity.

KM

Jul 05 09 11:36 am Link

Photographer

RWhite Photography

Frederick, Maryland, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
One thing that I don't hear here, is the exhibitionist perspective.

It's been my experience that many of my models are exhibitionists and enjoy any excuse to be naked in front of other people.

In those cases, a robe is of no interest to them and they like the opportunity to walk around nude.

They prefer nudity.

KM

Exhibitionism and "being comfortable in your own skin" are two very different things and generated from different psychological profiles. Easy to confuse one from the other.

I always provide a robe to the model but whether they wear it doesn't concern me. I'm too busy focused on the business at hand.

Jul 05 09 11:47 am Link

Model

Ms Shelia

Chicago Ridge, Illinois, US

I'm new to figure modeling in the Chicagoland, IL area, so I appreciate all the advice I can get.  I hope I can get enough gigs to pay my rent.

Jul 05 09 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

BeautyIsACurse wrote:
whatever makes them feel comfortable

I think the same.

Jul 05 09 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Pawlak

New York, New York, US

Stann Hoyle wrote:
Should Figure Models Wear A Robe When Not Posing?

Do you think a professional attitude helps you get more gigs or better pay?

Yes, please; ROBE !
Do not walk around looking at my drawings with your pants off ! (has happened)

Professional attitude? Couldn't hurt.

Jul 05 09 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Robes are OK,.... but only if the model isn't chilled. Perky is good.

Jul 05 09 11:54 pm Link

Model

Actress

San Francisco, California, US

i wore a sheet

yes coming off proffesional is a big plus ofcourse

Jul 06 09 12:18 am Link

Photographer

Cather Steincamp

Cumberland, Virginia, US

As far as I'm concerned, it's the model's call, not mine.

On the subject of candids if the model is not wearing a robe... my take is that the model has already given me permission to take photos of her without clothes on.  Every now and again a model will take a position in relaxation that is artistically irresistable.  But generally I prefer get my un-posed stuff between posed shots.  "Okay, that was a good shot.  For the next shot I want you to (click) move over here...."

Of course, I review all the images with the model and give them the opportunity to declare an image "bad"-- I've only had it happen a couple of times, once when a shot just didn't work and made the model look bad, and once when one of the angles accidentally included about 3/4 of her vagina.    In both cases, the image was deleted, never to be seen again.

Jul 06 09 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Keith Goodman

Gainesville, Virginia, US

Cather Steincamp wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, it's the model's call, not mine.

On the subject of candids if the model is not wearing a robe... my take is that the model has already given me permission to take photos of her without clothes on.  Every now and again a model will take a position in relaxation that is artistically irresistable.  But generally I prefer get my un-posed stuff between posed shots.  "Okay, that was a good shot.  For the next shot I want you to (click) move over here...."

I am sure you ask your model if such shooting is ok before doing it.  I feel it is a matter of courtesy and my experience has been that some may perfer only non candid well posed and thought out images "out there."

Jul 06 09 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Models should be naked, all the time.

https://wwwai.wu-wien.ac.at/~franz/Startrek/gifs/Personen/quark.gif

Jul 06 09 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Stann Hoyle

Skokie, Illinois, US

Ms Shelia wrote:
I'm new to figure modeling in the Chicagoland, IL area, so I appreciate all the advice I can get.  I hope I can get enough gigs to pay my rent.

Keep in touch with me, and I will send you info as I find leads to who hires figure models in the Chicagoland, IL area.

Jul 09 09 06:40 am Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Portland, Oregon, US

For all the models I have seen in open studios or classes: most will robe for the breaks, a few times I have seen easy on/off dresses, and sometimes sweats and t's on the males.  It is not exactly warm and sunny here.  It is also more sanitary.  Same with slippers or flip flops, as I recommend those as well.  Filthy feet are not thrilling to draw.

Jun 08 10 01:33 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

Stann Hoyle wrote:
Some of the models I work with are just getting started posing for art classes where the students sketch them with charcoal on paper.  Some of the models tell me they always bring a robe just in case the instructor has a rule that they must wear something while the instructor is lecturing.  Some models just slip on some regular clothes when they are not posing.  I would like to hear from some models who pose nude for art classes, so I can pass on those little tips that make a figure model come accross as a serious professional.  Do you think a professional attitude helps you get more gigs or better pay?

I always wear at least a pretty wrap (often one from Nepal or Afghanistan or somewhere else from my travels which I use to pose on anyway) to cover myself. Usually its green as it goes with my hair and eyes and sometimes artists like me to drape it. Often in winter in cold draughty places a long fur in winter does the trick nicely. Often they ask to draw me nude in that - it seems quite popular at a number of groups:
18 plus:
http://modelmayhm-2.vo.llnwd.net/d1/pho … f3f160.jpg

I work regularly at the Hesketh Hubbard, London Sketch Club, Royal Academy, The Princes Drawing school and many Art Colleges etc and for artists such as Susannah Fiennes. It represents about half of my work and at least one gig a day. Today for example I am at Agent Provocateur all afternoon then at a Susannah Fiennes class in the evening. In longer breaks I get dressed.
This is at The Royal Academy. The horse in the background is a Stubbs cast of the Duke of Wellington's horse Copenhagen; years ago models used to pose on it for the artists.
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3365/3643354147_c8d5b57272_o.jpg

Jun 08 10 02:09 am Link

Photographer

mfd111801

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

not on MM anymore 2010 wrote:
whatever makes them feel comfortable

I agree.  Have one handy just in case, right.

Jun 08 10 02:23 am Link

Model

Amber West

Dumfries, Scotland, United Kingdom

I tend to get a little chilly if I'm nude for long periods of time, so I pop something on at breaks.  Usually a light robe or even just a towel. 
Also, for example, one artist I sit for, his studio is in a big warehouse with a lot of other studios/workshops.  The bathroom is down the hall, and I might give some people a bit of a fright if I just prance down the hall naked...

Jun 08 10 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Robert Winn Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

I have robes available to any models who wish to use them. I am comfortable with casual nudity if the model does not wish to use the robe. Whatever makes the model more comfortable.

Jun 08 10 02:28 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

The models that I have photographed didn't cover up.  Models that I wasn't shooting nude have changed in front of me.  One model opened the door of her hotel room for me totally nude!    smile

Jun 08 10 05:46 am Link

Photographer

Photos by Allen

Ormond-By-The-Sea, Florida, US

That's not for the photographer to decide - it's up to the model.

I ALWAYS make available 2 (different sizes) largish, plush, white terrycloth robes in the changing room and I always mention them -

In practice what normally happens is they wear them immediately, and between the first two or three shot breaks - and then forget them altogether... but it's her choice.

Jun 08 10 06:19 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Of course sometimes one can be a little creative while sparing ones dignity on a break...
https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/4681598619_c4358dae67_b.jpg

Jun 08 10 06:25 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Eliza C wrote:
Of course sometimes one can be a little creative while sparing ones dignity on a break...
https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/4681598619_c4358dae67_b.jpg

Cute shot!
I have to get to England and shoot you sometime!     smile

Models that I have photographed have been very casual about their nudity.    smile

Jun 08 10 06:31 am Link

Photographer

A M Johnson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I offer a robe. It is a nice red satin VS thing. The model usually wears it coming out of the changing room then it never gets put back on.

Jun 08 10 06:37 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
Cute shot!
I have to get to England and shoot you sometime!     smile

Models that I have photographed have been very casual about their nudity.    smile

Not casual Jerry; I would rather say 'unashamed'. However propriety and decorum  is always important. wink But yes let me know when you are planning a trip to the UK.

Jun 08 10 06:38 am Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

FYI - this is a year old thread that someone has dug out...

Jun 08 10 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Enfire Photography

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Thomas DelPorte wrote:
... a teacher might not want to compete with the visual distraction during a lecture... so they may ask the model to cover during their points.

best answer yet

Jun 08 10 06:43 am Link

Photographer

Twentytwentyimage

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Always have a robe. clean, ready should anybody want to use it.

But I cannot remember the last time a model actually used it.

But its there if anybody feels the need.

Jun 08 10 06:44 am Link