Forums > Model Colloquy > wilhelmina harrisburg

Model

LoveAndHate

Riverton, New Jersey, US

If you go to wilhemina the official site where the locations are legit like in NY, LA, miami, and under affiliates there is wilhemina of pa, the harman agency.

Nov 27 09 01:38 pm Link

Model

LoveAndHate

Riverton, New Jersey, US

Nov 27 09 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Gregphotos

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I am in the Harrisburg area, and "Kelli Harman" is not synonymous with "positive career growth" around here.

Nov 27 09 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Mason Photography

Morristown, Vermont, US

If you contact the agency in Harrisburg and ask for models to contact as references, you should get some idea of their integrity based on their response. If they are good at finding work for their models (a large number based on the volume of recent portfolio shoots done by their official photographer in that area) I would think they should be willing to let you contact almost anyone on their roster.

Nov 27 09 09:03 pm Link

Model

The_Queen_of_Hearts

Mount Holly, New Jersey, US

I found this link: http://www.complaintsboard.com/complain … ml#c495685

Wilhelmina of PA actually writes on there to contest the complaints, it's interesting, what doesn everyone think of their reply?

Jan 06 10 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

It's legit.  Check them out..definitely.

Jan 06 10 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Accidental Plateau

Brooklyn, New York, US

Objective question for the OP.

I am just curious, why when you realized it was fishy, you stayed and even went back the next day.

I used to ask why people would take advantage of an aspiring young person, but, be aware people do this. They are highly organized and have it framed to be within the law.

Why do people rape, rob and murder?

The whole having to pay to participate in a money making system has existed for years.......

Anyone hear of Amway, you pay for training and products thinking you will be able to sell the product, but you end up selling the trining to the next person.....

The portfolio mills and amway type of paying up front have existed for years, years....

Can someone tell me why it still works?

Even when the OP knew it was a portfolio mill, why stay and why come again the next day?

In nyc, in the eighties, the three card monty, people knew it was a scan and got sucked in anyway.....they would wrok in teams, was it positive suggestion?

Jan 07 10 03:45 am Link

Photographer

Accidental Plateau

Brooklyn, New York, US

http://www.easybackgroundcheck.com/news/06.html

AMWAY othe mlm companies, and portfolio mills still exist, and even take on the attorney general, etc.....

When I was 11 in 1977 I saw a sixty minutes on protfolio mills....

Jan 07 10 03:47 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

It is downright deceitful for this person to be behind such an awful plan.
But how is it that when honest people or run through this that the main agency is not alerted?

I'd say it takes two to tango.

Thanks so much for posting AND taking the time time to go through with researching this horrible vulgar attack on model's hopes.

Jan 07 10 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Accidental Plateau

Brooklyn, New York, US

Neil Snape wrote:
It is downright deceitful for this person to be behind such an awful plan.
But how is it that when honest people or run through this that the main agency is not alerted?

I'd say it takes two to tango.

Thanks so much for posting AND taking the time time to go through with researching this horrible vulgar attack on model's hopes.

Is it ever possible that a legitimate agency scams one model, but not another, like a mechanic will do an uneeded brake job for an out of towner, but a regular only when he or she needed it?

Jan 07 10 04:26 am Link

Photographer

Accidental Plateau

Brooklyn, New York, US

Wasnt John Robert Powers originally a bona fide talent agency that evolved into a portfolio and training mill?

Jan 07 10 04:28 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

RL_11214 wrote:

Is it ever possible that a legitimate agency scams one model, but not another, like a mechanic will do an uneeded brake job for an out of towner, but a regular only when he or she needed it?

Not sure, I only try to keep with all the going ons from speaking with the girls I shoot.
Maybe that is what this one does, no idea.

When I was doing some tests with agencies before, I worked with an agency called Crystal.
I booked a model from Russia for a test but unfortunately the girl had a magazine gig to do.
I insisted but didn't have time or the right time to shoot shoot. The girl was with a sub par agency , and for her it was a spring board.

So yes perhaps this sub par agency may just use the cattle calls to make some money, and promote the real potential models even if rare.

BTW the girl I was talking about is Natasha Poly!

For those who think that agencies who ask for payment for pix and cards, there is a lot worse that goes on in Europe, especially in Italy,

scary!

Jan 07 10 04:33 am Link

Photographer

Accidental Plateau

Brooklyn, New York, US

I am making an educated guess, that an agency can get work for a stunning model, they either pay the portfolio , exspenses, etc.

Then there are some they are not sure of, they make the model pay....

And then, some agent may KNOW there is no way a girl will get work, so the agent sends her to a photographer whos schedule is not full, and gets a kickback....

Like if a mechanic is not busy, and has a naive customer, does a brake job, etc.

But if the same mechanic is busy, and the brakes just need a cleaning and adjustment, they do it, get the person going, and go to other work.

I call it my sliding scale of morality and professionalism theory.

I was broke, needed to sell my car, the brake light was on.

My buddy whos late father was a mechnic, took me to a guy in his area, who told me the parking brake was stuck, charged me for an hour of work, $65 I think.

From the into, no discount, but no padding...(pardon the pun).

Now I could have gone to the dealer, gotten all new brakes and pads for hundreds, not a scam, I still get new brakes, but I did not yet need them.

Or like how most insurance fraud is not an out and out scam, it si eggagerating the extent of damages of an actual event.

Jan 07 10 04:42 am Link

Model

Liberian princess

New Rochelle, New York, US

Wow, thanks for this info guys.

Jan 12 10 01:00 pm Link

Model

Lucy Dominga

Columbus, Ohio, US

Not sure if anyone's still looking at this thread, but...

Has anyone heard of Wilhelmina S2? They seemed legitimate to me, but then through Google I found several models who are represented by Wilhelmina S2 and I'm not impressed (no offense to them). Is it a legit agency or another of those franchise scams?

Jan 12 10 01:56 pm Link

Model

Aswald

Detroit, Michigan, US

Lucy Dominga wrote:
Not sure if anyone's still looking at this thread, but...

Has anyone heard of Wilhelmina S2? They seemed legitimate to me, but then through Google I found several models who are represented by Wilhelmina S2 and I'm not impressed (no offense to them). Is it a legit agency or another of those franchise scams?

Yep they are a scam as well it seems.

Mar 03 10 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

AngelicaAswald wrote:
Yep they are a scam as well it seems.

Depends on how you define scam. They are a legal affiliate of Wilhelmina and operate legally.

http://www.wilhelmina.com/affiliates.cfm

Mar 03 10 07:37 pm Link

Model

Aswald

Detroit, Michigan, US

Yep your right, but having to pay for classes and kind of stuffs.

Mar 03 10 07:59 pm Link

Model

Dashhhhh

Germantown, Maryland, US

Just be very careful, they're recruiting almost every person who calls themselves "models", it's a giant cattle call. They asked me to come interview a few months ago, but after what I read on the forums and some of the bad experiences, I don't think I want to go, especially if it's more than 2 hours away from me.

Mar 03 10 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

ALL PRO PHOTO

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

If you have a legitimate complaint I would suggest you contact State Attorney General Tom Corbett. If you have been promised paid work or not been paid for example, he may be be able to recover funds /sign up fees on your behalf. If the Agency you are complaining about is located in Pennsylvania;

Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General
16th Floor, Strawberry Square
Harrisburg, PA 17120

Make sure you put the name of the individual and agency you are complaining about at the top of the letter.

Mar 20 10 04:23 am Link

Photographer

ALL PRO PHOTO

Mar 20 10 04:34 am Link

Photographer

ALL PRO PHOTO

Mar 20 10 04:34 am Link

Model

Fashion Model

Baltimore, Maryland, US

OMG.
They scheduled me to come in for an appt. for this coming Saturday!

Thank goodness I did my due diligence by googling them. This thread was the first thing to pop up.  So glad I trusted my instincts and did not take that hour and a half drive for nothing.

As for the OP, sorry to hear you had to go through that. Thanks for starting this thread and spreading the word!

Apr 06 10 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

ALL PRO PHOTO

I just heard Kelli Harman changed her name..... Can anyone please verify?

Jul 14 10 08:44 am Link

Model

MissSybarite

Los Angeles, California, US

Jul 14 10 09:48 am Link

Photographer

ALL PRO PHOTO

?

Jul 14 10 11:51 am Link

Photographer

ALL PRO PHOTO

Jul 15 10 06:11 pm Link

Model

Zoe Mosier

State College, Pennsylvania, US

Im currently signed with Wilhelmina of Pa and  I can tell you they are a legit agency. However, I do feel partially scammed by them. They require you to take classes that are very expensive and I am positive some of that money goes in their pockets. It is is standard to pay for test shoots, comp cards and whatnot. Where I really feel scammed is that I paid 1500 total to them for many different things and have not recieved any jobs and they require me to pay for all expenses, and frankly I can't afford it. The only thing I got from them was some pictures.

Sep 13 10 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Lucas Chapman

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Doesn't Wilhelmina franchise to anyone willing to pay the franchise fee?  There have been numerous threads about Wilhelmina in PA..  just can't put my finger on them.
From what I understand, its pretty much scam-ish, more like JRP, and Barbizon than the Wilhelmina of old.

Sep 13 10 09:01 pm Link

Model

K_G

Detroit, Michigan, US

Zoe Mosier wrote:
Im currently signed with Wilhelmina of Pa and  I can tell you they are a legit agency. However, I do feel partially scammed by them. They require you to take classes that are very expensive and I am positive some of that money goes in their pockets. It is is standard to pay for test shoots, comp cards and whatnot. Where I really feel scammed is that I paid 1500 total to them for many different things and have not recieved any jobs and they require me to pay for all expenses, and frankly I can't afford it. The only thing I got from them was some pictures.

A legit agency would not charge you for classes or charge you $1500 to sign with them. Put it to you this way: a legit agency gets paid when their talent does. Agency takes 20% from a job and then pays you the rest. That's how they make their money. If you are paying for classes then guess what, they are getting their money by selling classes, not their talent.

Test shoots & comp cards are legit expenses for any model.

Sep 14 10 09:45 am Link

Photographer

ESP NY

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Didn't that old guy who launched the Backstreet Boys, get sued for 100 million dollars or something for scamming thousands of people when he was leasing the Wilhelmina name for a couple years? Lou Pearlman or something like that?

Sep 14 10 09:52 am Link

Model

njjewel

Clementon, New Jersey, US

Amy Eli wrote:
Well I solved my own problem!!!

Definitely a scam!!!

I have been modeling for a few years and did not recognize this at first... I felt it was an opportunity for myself to expand out of my area...

Here's what happened, for all of you people considering doing this "Wilhelmina" open call, since there have been many posts about it.

1. CATTLE CALL
I showed up for my "appointment", which was an open call. They acted as if I had a real appointment, and there were about 70-80 people in my time slot. I believe there was another time slot that same day probably with that same amount of people. I also believe they do this twice a month. So we signed up, took measurements and stapled our photos to an application. I already wanted to leave.

2. PRE SCREENING?!
I emailed the agency for this "appointment" and had to send photos, measurements, etc. The people that were there along with me DID NOT look like model material. Not to be rude but there were all sizes, shapes, ages, most of which did not fit any type of modeling criteria I have ever seen. Red Flag #2.

3. RAZZLE DAZZLE
We were taken to a room and sat down in front of a projector with runway music blaring and all kinds of glamourous Wilhelmina people talking up the name. Barf. Then Kelli Harman spoke to us about how greatly connected to the NYC office they were and how much opportunity was in store for the chosen ones. Blah Blah Blah. She went on to say what an INVESTMENT modeling was and how Wilhelmina specializes in packaging their models up and marketing them... Then there was a list of prices. Seriously, how tacky. Then she had us introduce ourselves and I heard about 50 sob stories from around the room. The whole time I'm thinking, this is suchhh a waste of time. Then we walked the runway, even the people who weren't really out to be fashion/runway models, whatever. Red flag #3.

4. CALL
I received a phone call the next day, Kelli wanted to sign me. I agreed to go in for a second appointment. She reiterated on the phone the fees I need to pay attention to.

5. APPOINTMENT
So I just got back from my lovely appointment. I went for the benefit of the doubt. A girl rearranged my portfolio to make it seem like she knew what she was doing and was talking about all their clients (I was asking lots of questions). I was handed a contract to sign right as I walked in the door. RED FLAG #4. I did not sign anything but read what looked like a normal modeling contract. When Kelli was ready for me, she literally spoke of the fees within one minute of the conversation. She said I owed $1100 for website, training and comp card fees. Then she asked if I'd pay in cash or check. WTF. I think that is tacky and rude. On top of that she was trying to pull me into workshops that cost $600.

So I walked out without paying, signing or anything. I am tempted to email them all the dirt found through this site and other testimonials, but only if they email me again.

I am not naive in this business but I am just so PISSED off that I was sort of victimized like this. Even more, that this happens to tons of people everyday and people actually do pay. It's sick and sad.

OK the end.
Sorry for the long thread...

Thank You for posting this... I went in for that cattle call and was turnt off right away when I saw prices, but stayed since I just drove 2 hrs., I got a call today saying I was accepted, and they want me to come in to "talk" about signing.. I thought that was kinda weird, and figured the where going to ask for money, so I decided to come home and google.. THANK GOD I FOUND THIS.. it saved me like 60 bucks in gas.. and 5 hours of my life.

Mar 23 11 03:31 pm Link