Forums > Photography Talk > I am looking to expand to selling photography

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

Beal Photography wrote:

Several folks here have said the same thing about the critque forum.  I placed the thread here because it took a long while to get where I am today with many months of spinning my wheels.  Guess i was looking for a short cut.  Not looking for critquing anything.  Was looking for advice on a path to travel to get where i am going.  Everything on MM is practice, there will be a big difference when i get to my final destination.

I think the reason for so many suggestions to go to the critique forum is that you might get an idea if your work is up to snuff to sell or not, and if not, you might get some suggestions that would help you get where you want to go faster.  That might be better than more "spinning my wheels".

Nov 29 09 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Beal Photography wrote:
I was going to try and take our photography to the next level over the next six months and attempt to break in the selling market with our model photography so that the models as well as us can make money and more over become effective in this market.

Umm yeah sure I am sure tons of Modeling agencies will be buyin those imags of Landscapes from you .
NOT THE SAME THING.
Again let me ask these questions considering you are talking about SELLING PRINTS TO MODELING AGENCIES AND MODELS  FOR THEIR PORTFOLIOS ETC...

WHAT Licenced and Bonded  AGENCY ARE YOU CURRENTLY Testing for ?
What Licenced and Bonded REALY WORLD MODELING Agency is PAYING you for Your services ?

How can you Expect to be Paid for "helping to develop a Model's Portfolio" If you have NEVER shot or much-less walked in to a Agency Office to Justify BEING PAID ?

Nov 29 09 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Beal Photography

Eliot, Maine, US

ESCALANTE wrote:

Umm yeah sure I am sure tons of Modeling agencies will be buyin those imags of Landscapes from you .
NOT THE SAME THING.
Again let me ask these questions considering you are talking about SELLING PRINTS TO MODELING AGENCIES AND MODELS  FOR THEIR PORTFOLIOS ETC...

WHAT Licenced and Bonded  AGENCY ARE YOU CURRENTLY Testing for ?
What Licenced and Bonded REALY WORLD MODELING Agency is PAYING you for Your services ?

How can you Expect to be Paid for "helping to develop a Model's Portfolio" If you have NEVER shot or much-less walked in to a Agency Office to Justify BEING PAID ?

Answering your questions.  No one.  And no one every will, unless i solve this mystery.  So let me re-ask my question.  How do i get there?  I am simply asking, how do i get where YOU are?  As stated before, this side of Photography is new unexplored territory.  If this is a question you can't answer, do you know who could answer my question.  I would like to say i do respect all photographers that have reached your level and quite frankly even a little bit awe, however you sound very offended that i have asked my questions.  I do most humbly apoligize, for i imagine there are thousands of wanna be's that have asked for your help before.  besides, i can stay in my comfort zone as a landscapist, which i am quite effective as.

Nov 29 09 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Beal Photography wrote:
Answering your questions.  No one.  And no one every will, unless i solve this mystery.  So let me re-ask my question.  How do i get there?  I am simply asking, how do i get where YOU are?  As stated before, this side of Photography is new unexplored territory.  If this is a question you can't answer, do you know who could answer my question.  I would like to say i do respect all photographers that have reached your level and quite frankly even a little bit awe, however you sound very offended that i have asked my questions.  I do most humbly apoligize, for i imagine there are thousands of wanna be's that have asked for your help before.  besides, i can stay in my comfort zone as a landscapist, which i am quite effective as.

To be honest with you , in reply to your question.
By DOing your homework.
By going to the above mentioned agency sites, looking and OPENING YOUR EYES TO THE REAL WORLD OF FASHION >EDITOIRAL photography ,get out of MM .
Start by looking at the work of others , LEARN WHAT IS ACCEPTABLE>
I gave you several tips and hints as to how.

You have the questions and the Answers , Go Find them .
Stop asking for agency level advice on a site where 98.5% of the photographers are not even agency approved muchless are shooting for them .
Starting to make sense?
Start with Learning how to edit the images you already have.
learn your craft.
what you do for mountains is NOT the same as what you do for PEOPLE.

You do NOT open a restaurant with out knowing how to cook or how to serve.
Your answers are Photo 101 class type questions.

Offended , in a manner of speaking , because you make it sound as if you just grab a camera and wanna be girls and WOOHOO WE CAN BEGIN TO CHARGE.
But for WHAT?

It isnt so Trivial as that.

Learn what it is to shoot in this genre , I cant sit here and tell you everything
in a single forum thread,it isnt THAT EASY.

Please feel free to take a look at my latest article to be featured on Lexar's Pro Photographer's site, I hope that Helps !
http://www.lexar.com/dp/tips_lessons/es … shoot.html

http://www.lexar.com/dp/tips_lessons/es … hotog.html

LEARN THE LINGO OF THE TRADE AS WELL AS THE PLAYERS AND HOW IT IS PLAYED
www.NewModels.Com

www.cityscapesbyEscalante.com

Landscapes , anyone with a correct working knowledge of how a camera and ambient light works as well as an a idea of composition , the beauty is already in front of you thanks to the creator. (yes i know it isn't THAT SIMPLE)
But as far as people are concerned.... this is a whole 'nother animal in it's self. Far more complex as a whole.

Nov 30 09 12:01 am Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

One of the reasons that I enjoy this forum is helping people who are so new to this industry that they really do not even know what questions to ask.

The first thing anyone who wants to start a business has to ask is, "Is there a market for the goods or services that I want to provide"?

I am still unclear on what the OP wants to sell.  If he wants to sell prints of models to modeling agencies that he has to find out if:  a.  are there any modeling agencies near him and b. do they buy prints?  I am guessing that the answer to both questions is no.  Models buy prints that they put into a portfolio.  Agencies want digital files to post to their websites.

If the Op wants to sell prints to other businesses as wall decor.   If there are enough companies with enough money and who are in the process of redecorating and moving, there might be a market for his landscape work.

If the OP wants to sell images that other businesses want to use in their sells promotion, ie, print ads, catalogs etc.  Again he has to ask, are there enough companies with enough of a promotional budget within his area to support this type of work?  Usually to survive as a commercial photographer you need to be in a major city in order to have enough business to survive and thrive.

So, your next steps.  Identify your strengths as a photographer and then see if there is anybody in your area who needs those types of images.  Once you have identified your market, you can come back and ask, how do I sell into that market? 

Sincerely,

Zave Smith
www.zavesmith.com
Images of Life, Love & Linoleum.

Nov 30 09 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

ESCALANTE wrote:
But as far as people are concerned.... this is a whole 'nother animal in it's self. Far more complex as a whole.

I agree 100%. I've been shooting for over 30 years - I shot mostly landscapes, seascapes and nature. 30 years of shooting did almost NOTHING to prepare me for shooting models/people. The only thing that carried over to shooting people was that I knew how to use a camera and some idea of composition. The main difference between shooting landscapes and shooting models is landscapes, the light controls how you shoot - you don't have much control over light. Shooting models, you have to control the light.

Nov 30 09 05:54 am Link

Photographer

Carnival of Photography

Dyersburg, Tennessee, US

dave wright sf wrote:

Well, which is it?

LOL  I was thinking the same thing, Which is it?

Dec 01 09 10:02 am Link