Forums > Photography Talk > PhotoShop - giving back

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hiya,

Someone asked me how I did a frame on a particular image and I was going to message him back privately, but I figured, ya know, I might as well put it here for others to learn from (if they haven't done so already).

What the heck you know, when I first learned PS, I picked up a couple of techniques from other photographers too. Might as well "Pay It Forward"   wink

This is the image in question.

The question was, "frame: how'd you do that?"

Here's the step-by-step.

1) Create a duplicate of the background layer (original image)
2) Apply a Layer Style (Inner Shadow)
In the properties for the Inner Shadow style
- Set the Distance to 5 px
- Set the Choke to 84
- Set the Size to 250 px

Note: play with the numbers when applying to your particular image

For the Quality settings
- Choose a Contour: Ring-Double
- Check Anti-aliased
- Set Noise to 0

Jul 19 05 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Um, I left out one step. If you notice in the image, the model's feet are outside of the frame. I simply created another layer of just the model and put that layer as layer 0, i.e. above the layer created in step 1.

Jul 19 05 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

If you want a quick-and-dirty frame, you go pull up Elements 3.0 and it has some present frames that you can add with a click of the mouse without going through the steps posted above.  I also use PhotoImpact Pro and it has more than 50 predesigned frames that can be added with a mouse click.

I find myself going back and forth between PS, Elements, and PhotoImpact Pro for lot of what I do.

Cheers, Tim
www.portlandfilmworks.com

Jul 19 05 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Thanks guys

Jul 19 05 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

The frame work is good. The only thing that is really distracting to me is what seems to be the wall that runs out of the back of the model, and is faded but ever so slightly visable running out the front of her leg.

Jul 20 05 10:22 pm Link