Forums > Critique > Fun and Games > I'll critique your work, no need for tissues!

Model

Jenn aka Miss Rayne

Broadmoor, California, US

jimmy o wrote:
ok smile

https://modelmayhm-3.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/070727/11/46aa2015d08fd_m.jpg

I like this image a lot. It pops. The eye color, the contrast and workings that went into the picture are worth it! The model has a not so innocent innocence, and again, she is holding a mystery and almost flirting with the camera! Great job! Thats hard to do at times. There are a lot of flattering images in your port, but Id like to see you do more like the one above. Catch the models eyes, what is she saying? Can you 'hear' her through the photo? I know that sounds kinda crazy, but pictures can say nothing, or they can speak volumes. Keep pushing to be better, you are already a great photographer, I think you are (after reading and looking at your profile and port) a little more talented than you give yourself credit for, and need to let your creativity flow more. Make em all pop. You can do it!

Jan 16 10 07:06 am Link

Model

Jenn aka Miss Rayne

Lakeside Art wrote:
I'll take a shot ... thanks for your time.

https://modelmayhm-2.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/091121/08/4b0819425681b_m.jpg

This image...I love redheads with green...it is a beautiful match in my eyes. Besides that, the lighting and the fact that she is telling a story, as if someone above her, has just spoken to her, and she has had a reaction, almost fearful. I love the fact that you have so many pics in your port that are so creative, lighting, angles, and being able to capture the moments best when the models stance, posture, eyes, smile, face, are saying something. I also have a background in theatrics...and it does help to refer to that when I'm really trying to pull an emotion out. Plus, I'm sure you remember blocking, I don't remember seeing any images where the model is upstaged by the background, or haphazardly upstaging herself! I'd personally love to shoot with you! Keep that background up front and let that be the guide to what poses the models are in, and what you want to see from them. You seem to be doing a wonderful job of that on your own! I just want to remind you. wink

Jan 16 10 07:15 am Link

Photographer

Ryan McNab Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm game.

Jan 16 10 07:19 am Link

Photographer

CSquared Imagery

Whittier, California, US

Ryan McNab wrote:
I'm game.

Jan 16 10 07:21 am Link

Model

Jenn aka Miss Rayne

High Def Retouching wrote:
I'm in smile

https://modelmayhm-1.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/091227/12/4b37c8320e158_m.jpg

Pure beauty. Elegant, not too made up, not too fairy tale, and not too much! It's perfect! So many photos in your port are amazing. The retouching is beautifully done, tasteful, not overdone. Your images have wonderful appeal about them. The use of color, the use of negative space, and how negative space can be very positive! I would love to see you do some more backgrounds, adding color, that almost points out the model. You seem to use the grey backdrop a lot. What about an outdoors shoot? When the weather is nice, or interesting, take some shots first without a model to see what you prefer, and then let your ideas flow from there. Would you rather shoot on a sunny bright day, or on a foggy or rainy day? Or both. What looks do you want to combine with the particular model you have in mind, if you do in fact have one in mind? Again, your work is amazing and I do thank you for the before and afters, because I always wonder why I can't look perfect! LOL. Photoshop. (smacking self in head) DUH! Great work!

Jan 16 10 07:26 am Link

Model

TrackBelle

San Francisco, California, US

I'm up for critique

Jan 16 10 07:28 am Link

Photographer

CSquared Imagery

Whittier, California, US

I have my coffee, now i'm ready.........

Jan 16 10 07:32 am Link

Model

Jenn aka Miss Rayne

Annie RS wrote:
Me please?

https://modelmayhm-3.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/091114/08/4afee078d359b_m.jpg

This image I love and would LOVE to see you do more of! You are just too cute here! That being said, the New Moon port...HOLY CRAP...you are amazing. You are not only beautiful, but daring, and make statements. Some you conveyed crazy perfectly, and I know you intended it that way. Others you showed pain, or fear. I can't say enough about being able to say something without speaking. Like photos. You make your body and face speak to the people who get the honor of being able to admire them. As for your other work, you are beautiful. I'm not too excited about what I consider the "twatshots" LOL...please, don't take offense to that, if you do I'm sorry already. But you are so gorgeous, you don't need to do that. In that, you have your own style, and beauty as well, plus creativity. Keep using that creativity, and create! Thank you!

Jan 16 10 07:35 am Link

Model

Jenn aka Miss Rayne

OK...be back again...I need some more coffee! And I need to make an important call but I will be back very shortly. Any spelling errors by the way are the fault of my coffee not fully kicked in yet. LOL. I forget who is next, but I will pick up right after the last one I critiqued. Again, please be patient. I promise to get to you! wink

Jan 16 10 07:37 am Link

Photographer

L Raye

Petaluma, California, US

Please, your opinion!

Jan 16 10 07:38 am Link

Model

jax2010

Limerick, Limerick, Ireland

me please

Jan 16 10 07:39 am Link

Model

Jenn aka Miss Rayne

Dan Richards wrote:
Sure why not.

I couldnt pull any of the images here to talk about, but I love the glamour port and the model with the green sheer over her. I love that in most of your photos you have a background that fits and doesnt take away from the model. You still see her. I love the profile in itself that you have a humorous side to you! That always draws me in more to a person because it is so perfectly human. (not to say that others who don't post humor in their profiles are not human) I can't say much about your port, profile, or otherwise. I like all of them a lot. Again, Im not a huge fan of what I consider the "twatshots" LOL...but it is a personal preference with models and photographers. Sometimes, when the face of the woman is absolutely stunning, I feel that takes the focus away from what can be an incredible shot. Keep workin! You're awesome.

Jan 16 10 07:54 am Link

Model

Jenn aka Miss Rayne

A Picture of Matthew wrote:
Please!

https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100101/12/4b3e59c7cf44f_m.jpg

Your avatar is stunning. I don't know what it is about the photo, it's just compelling to me. Is she mad, pulling at her hair, is she stressed out, whatever it is, it talks. I love the silhouettes folder, simply because it is shape and form, and that is beautiful. Also, the tricks folder, AMAZING! I had to look at the one model a couple times to see where her waistline really is. Great use of lighting and shadows, and backgrounds! I would love to see you shoot some photos that I think you could do amazing...such as a model who is wearing jeans, heels, and is topless, but with curls down her back, or more photo tricks, as far as everything else, I would love to work with you. You make things beautiful and classy and  nothing about your work is off putting to me! Thanks!

Jan 16 10 08:09 am Link

Model

Jenn aka Miss Rayne

David Kirk wrote:
Yes please.

https://modelmayhm-8.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090404/07/49d76e40682e2_m.jpg

This image is just sooo alive. The colors, her pose, the lighting, her hair, everything about is loud, yet not obnoxious! I love that you are trying to create a different look in each photo. When there are what I consider a texture to the photo, or background, such as the model in the fallen leaves, it gives it that tangible feeling. That you could reach out and touch the picture and somehow expect it to react. Or to feel something from it regardless. I'd love to see you working in more color and with different "textures" for backgrounds. Of course, simplify the model when using heavy backgrounds, simplify the background when using models that are stunning on their own. More emotion from models is great, and that can help you build more too. I think you have amazing potential to be a great photographer, more than you already are! All it boils down to is getting models that are able to express more with their looks rather than bodies. To tell the story that you are looking to capture. You have a few images in there that do that. The model in the leather (or it looks leather) jacket, she is in 2 photos, same series, same hair and makeup. She stands out as well because even though the photos are black and white, she is showing a toughness, an almost arrogance, a confidence and bad assness...LOL. Keep finding those ones! Keep shooting!

Jan 16 10 08:22 am Link

Photographer

jimmy o

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

thanks so much for your time and comments ! smile

Jan 16 10 08:23 am Link

Model

Jenn aka Miss Rayne

E Thomas wrote:
Please?

You will be next, I just need to get some sleep for now. To the rest of you that have replied and are looking for my opinion, I will get to you as well. I've run out of steam at the moment (allergy medicine.) and I want to clearly see you, your photos, and all of that. Besides, just a bit ago I tried to drink my cigarette and smoke my coffee. Very strong indication that I might just be too tired to operate, well, anything! LOL. I will be on later to continue with this! Thank you for taking the time to check this thread out, and you're welcome. Everyone here has a talent, a name, a face, a heart. If not, you must be an alien. But thats ok too. I don't discriminate. wink Be back later after I rest. Have a great day! It's a holiday weekend so be careful out there!

Jan 16 10 08:27 am Link

Model

Tatiana Paris

Los Angeles, California, US

Yay I'm in! big_smile

Jan 16 10 08:40 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Jenn aka Miss Rayne wrote:

https://modelmayhm-8.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090404/07/49d76e40682e2_m.jpg

This image is just sooo alive. The colors, her pose, the lighting, her hair, everything about is loud, yet not obnoxious! I love that you are trying to create a different look in each photo. When there are what I consider a texture to the photo, or background, such as the model in the fallen leaves, it gives it that tangible feeling. That you could reach out and touch the picture and somehow expect it to react. Or to feel something from it regardless. I'd love to see you working in more color and with different "textures" for backgrounds. Of course, simplify the model when using heavy backgrounds, simplify the background when using models that are stunning on their own. More emotion from models is great, and that can help you build more too. I think you have amazing potential to be a great photographer, more than you already are! All it boils down to is getting models that are able to express more with their looks rather than bodies. To tell the story that you are looking to capture. You have a few images in there that do that. The model in the leather (or it looks leather) jacket, she is in 2 photos, same series, same hair and makeup. She stands out as well because even though the photos are black and white, she is showing a toughness, an almost arrogance, a confidence and bad assness...LOL. Keep finding those ones! Keep shooting!

Thanks!  I am planning to do more outdoor shooting to add some more interesting backgrounds and settings to my work.

Thank you for your insights and taking the time to write them all out!

Jan 16 10 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Rebecca Newman Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Hi, I adore the looks and concepts of a lot of different models and photographers I have seen here on MM. I'm awake, and have some time on my hands, and will look for what I see in you, and your work, what is beautiful there. No need for tissues, and if I miss anyone, you can send me a PM and I will send one back to you after looking at your profile.

Any takers?

I'm a taker! smile

Jan 16 10 08:55 am Link

Retoucher

Smart Photo Retouch

Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain

Me please? smile

Jan 16 10 09:01 am Link

Model

Straws

COLLEGE POINT, New York, US

Go for me!
Thanxs hun!

Jan 16 10 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Nuance Photography

Brantford, Ontario, Canada

I would love your opinion!
Thanks!

Jan 16 10 10:06 am Link

Model

Annie RS

Baltimore, Maryland, US

https://modelmayhm-3.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/091114/08/4afee078d359b_m.jpg

This image I love and would LOVE to see you do more of! You are just too cute here! That being said, the New Moon port...HOLY CRAP...you are amazing. You are not only beautiful, but daring, and make statements. Some you conveyed crazy perfectly, and I know you intended it that way. Others you showed pain, or fear. I can't say enough about being able to say something without speaking. Like photos. You make your body and face speak to the people who get the honor of being able to admire them. As for your other work, you are beautiful. I'm not too excited about what I consider the "twatshots" LOL...please, don't take offense to that, if you do I'm sorry already. But you are so gorgeous, you don't need to do that. In that, you have your own style, and beauty as well, plus creativity. Keep using that creativity, and create! Thank you!

Thank you so much

Jan 16 10 10:15 am Link

Model

Kaylin Omo

Huntington Beach, California, US

What does my port say to you?

Jan 16 10 10:32 am Link

Photographer

LEPHOTO

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Hi Jenn

All input appreciated good or bad

Thnx

Leo

Jan 16 10 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

DC Photo - Inactive

Trenton, New Jersey, US

I haven't been beaten up yet today, so I'm game tongue

Jan 16 10 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Hart

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom

Go on then smile

Jan 16 10 04:15 pm Link

Model

Samantha Hahn

Metuchen, New Jersey, US

Please

Jan 16 10 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Sendu

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

Lovely thread; if you get back to this do me too please.

Jan 16 10 04:29 pm Link

Model

Jenn aka Miss Rayne

E Thomas wrote:
Please?

https://modelmayhm-1.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090711/09/4a58c1077f523_m.jpg

Morning again! This one grabs my eye, out of the pics in your port it stands out. Its loud, even with blacks and whites, and just not a whole lot of color, its got an emotion to it. And, it reminds me of Pink, for some reason, which is a great thing! I love the style of the photos you do...especially blending greyscale or black and white with color. I saw that you are fairly new here, with just 10 photos and about 27 friends. Soon as you start getting more work in, I would LOVE to see you do a more colorful series, maybe outdoors, or with another background similar to this, and more colors. You tend to put series up a lot, and I didn't know if you noticed that. I think its unique that in some of these series the models are in a different outfit. Keep working, you have some great ideas, and cant wait to see more from you.

Jan 17 10 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Storm Self Portraitist

George Town, Exuma and Cays, Bahamas

yes please with sugar

Jan 17 10 09:30 am Link

Model

Jenn aka Miss Rayne

Flint Imagery wrote:
Sure lets havea a go....

https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090121/07/497738deb1578_m.jpg

This image is just beautiful. From the placement of the barrette (spelling) in her hair, to the statue, to the castle, I just love the way everything is placed in this photo period! It gives the feeling of waiting for something, waiting for fireworks above the castle, waiting for Tink to fly up and around...something so exciting! I also like that you work in black and white, and color, with different backgrounds. Id love to see you with more outdoors shots, and direct eye contact with the model. (you can combine both of these) I noticed that most of the models are looking at the camera from the corner of their eye, or with their head tilted a bit, and not straight into the lens to give one of those BAM, EYES pics. If its preferred to you that they look away, then keep it up! The only thing I can think of, like I said, is to have a closer pic of a model making eye contact with the lens, color, black and white, doesnt matter, see how you like it, and what it does for you! And the model!

Jan 17 10 09:35 am Link

Photographer

M co

Lakewood, Washington, US

Help -i want critics, i want to know what to grow in.

Jan 17 10 09:38 am Link

Photographer

PrettyHate Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

If your still offering up critiques.. i would love to get some feed back on what to improve or what you think i should take out of my port.... really any feed back would be grand. Thanks !!

Jan 17 10 09:40 am Link

Model

Jenn aka Miss Rayne

XSilkX wrote:
Hit me big_smile

I will absolutely not hit you! LOL...

https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090916/02/4ab0adc7abbae_m.jpg

I love this image. Its so playful and I feel like getting up and dancing too! Though, I do wish you were smiling in it, it still screams, PLAY! In a good way. Your profile is quite interesting to me. I see you like to be unique, and (in your photos) you stick to what is important to you. I like that a lot. It's about respecting your true self, and modeling and going on with that as well. I admire you for that! I can't really think of much else, you have a great look, and I think if you do some more playful images, such as this, but remember to smile, and laugh, it will bring more emotion to the photo! And on a side note, there are 2 ways I express myself outside of modeling, one, is to paint or draw, whatever comes to mind. Perfection does not apply, just sometimes putting the "color" of my mood on paper makes it more real. Grays, blues, sad colors at times depending on the blend. Reds, yellows, pinks, happy moods, yet again, depending on the blend. Also just writing. No form, no worries about spelling errors, or grammar, just getting what is in my head on paper. You don't have to make sense, it's for you, and that's whats important. Back on topic...with your new hair, Id love to see you in something like neon pink...I dont know why, it just seems to appeal to me when I see you. That is a personal decision though, cause I know others may find that color horrid. LOL. Best to you!

Jan 17 10 09:46 am Link

Model

Artur Henrique

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

me please? wink

Jan 17 10 09:46 am Link

Model

Matt Carmody

Painesville, Ohio, US

me please when you have a moment smile

Jan 17 10 09:49 am Link

Model

Jenn aka Miss Rayne

BellaVita wrote:
good morning me please !!!

https://modelmayhm-5.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100107/19/4b46a0e808f49_m.jpg

This picture pops out. It is colorful, and I adore the expression on your face! The other photo in your port that caught me was the one in black and white where you are in a long black dress. Beautiful. The thing that I noticed, was you seem to have a look, and use it a lot. Don't worry, I have been guilty of this myself! Modeling doesn't always mean, look pouty, look sexy, or look bored (not that you do look bored) but smile! Really! You are beautiful, it's sunny out, let yourself go! I see on your profile you have your guidelines set, and that's good, though some unfortunately can bite you in the butt. OOH! Not being mean here, but really, when someone is taking a photo, (a creative photographer where you feel its ok to be more creative) act like someone just bit you in the butt. What kind of expression would you make? Would you laugh? Im laughing as I type this thinking of how awesome it would look, not someone actually biting you, but the look on your face as if someone just did. Or bring that thought (or another amusing funny thought) with you, use it at the end of the shoot if you're prone to the giggles like I am...and just let some photos come natural to you. You will be surprised at the results ( I know I was) when you let go a bit and see what happens!

Jan 17 10 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Franko Photo

San Jose, California, US

Any takers?

sure - i'm in...

Jan 17 10 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Carnal Creations

Burlington, Vermont, US

Im  game for some feedback!