Forums > Contests > PotD18+ Discussion Thread

Photographer

a Jesters magic

Stamford, Connecticut, US

SJH photography wrote:
In future wil all members please use this link or click the help tab at the top of the page if they have infromation about another member .

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contactamod

Is there any way that I can have the text that was hidden from my post?  I'd like to use that exact text when I contact a moderator.

Feb 10 15 11:21 am Link

Photographer

SJH photography

Adeje (Las Americas), Tenerife, Canary Islands

Provide a link to the post in your cam and a mod will be able to view it and tell you what you have written

Feb 10 15 11:33 am Link

Artist/Painter

steve54321

Kendal, England, United Kingdom

I flagged an image in yesterdays mens 18+ contest ( 19th May ) that had been in the day before also, it remains...have the rules changed?

Mar 20 15 02:04 am Link

Photographer

DRock Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Hello, I was going through some older links from 18+ winners that I had submitted and noticed that all from 2011 and prior don't seem to work anymore. I was thinking maybe MM doesn't keep these older images any longer? But my ones from the regular POTD are still up so just wondering if there is an error or not? I also did notice the code changed around that time as well and I tried to use the newer code but that didn't work. Just curious, thank you! If there was a previous post about this I'm sorry, I didn't find it.

Apr 15 15 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

J-PhotoArt

San Francisco, California, US

Jun 05 15 02:43 am Link

Photographer

StromePhoto

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

J-PhotoArt wrote:
Has this contest gone back to being COED?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/191662  --  18+

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/191654  --  18+

Beat me to it.

Yesterday's entries also included a male photo.  Must be some kind of glitch?

Jun 05 15 04:05 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

That is not the only glitch. Again today I found an entry on the vote page that was the 2nd place finisher on June 1. I have probable reported at least 5 entries in the last month or two that were in the winner's gallery just a day or few previously. Somehow the system for catching the 15-day violators is not working. I am only finding ones where the image was memorable enough that I think "I saw that recently" and go back and manually check. But if I am finding them that frequently when I am relying on memory and don't even look at the contest regularly, how many more have been missed?

Jun 09 15 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

SJH photography

Adeje (Las Americas), Tenerife, Canary Islands

As you have stated sometimes the 15 day checker , isnt working and i have to rely on my memory only .

we are aware of the problem , and i am trying my best to remeber them all but unless its an image that really stands out to me , i may miss it .

If any images are seen , that you think are breaking the 15 day rule , please cam it , even if its wrong i wont mind at all , just remember to mark it contest so i know its for me smile

Jun 10 15 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Perry Van Dongen

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

JoJo wrote:

Here's a little test for you...

Take 8000+/- images - start looking at them one by one.
As you go through them pull the ones that are duplicates.

How long is it going to take you to catch each and every duplicate?

I know this is an old post that I'm quoting but this is something I've been wondering about too. I'm not a fan of people who post the same image over and over in an attempt to win but I understand why they do it. What bothers me is that it happens so often. From what I have read in this thread it seems that a lot of people enter the same image twice by mistake.. but enough about that.

Google (and Tineye) has an image search function for the web but it can only search one image at a time and it only returns results for the sites it's already searched so that's useless.

There are a number of programs, Picasa as an example, that can find duplicates on any drive or folder on a computer. Picasa is kind of clumsy though and I think Google may have given up on it.

I have ThumbsPlus and it can do a very quick search and return exact duplicates but it also has a "metrics" slider that allows you to search for similar images. It's not foolproof and it can't detect mirror images but it can detect a lot of other changes. If you change an image and then enter it again is it a duplicate or another entry?

I did a quick test using the thumbnails from the POTD images from 15.08.19 to 15.08.23 (and to be honest I was kinda lazy and didn't even use all the images) and with the metrics slider set to exact match I got four duplicate images. I moved the metrics slider to it's maximum setting and got three more matches: one was almost the same shot but the model had tilted her head slightly, one had been retouched and cropped tighter, and I couldn't see any difference with the third image.

That search was performed on 425 images and took less than a second to complete. I imagine it would take longer on 8,000 images but even if it was 8,000,000 it shouldn't take more than a few minutes. Searching through the returned results might take a while if you were to search the entire history of any contest but the rules state that anything over 15 days is safe so you really only need to check for duplicates during that time period... and I'm guessing that's where the 8,000 comes from.

ThumbsPlus isn't the only program that can do this (and it's not free) but it's what I have and it seemed to work pretty good. I'm not trying to tell anyone how to do their job or that they are doing a good or bad job, this is just what I think might be a helpful solution to a problem.

Aug 29 15 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Perry, can you describe the process you used with ThumbsPlus in order to search the PoTD contests?

I can understand how that would work if you're searching your computer for duplicates, but I don't understand how a program like that would work here.

Sep 09 15 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Perry Van Dongen

I have no idea how MM's admin structure works but I'm assuming that admins/mods of the galleries have direct access to the folder that the images are stored in (so that they can remove them if necessary) possibly through ftp. If that's the case then all you need to do is download all the images (or the thumbnails, to save time, if they aren't generated on the fly) to a location on your computer and then perform the search from there.

If admin/mods don't have direct access to the image folder it's still fairly easy. Any image you look at on the internet has to be downloaded to your computer first so even though some people get upset about this it's not crossing any borders. There are programs called bulk image downloaders which automatically download images from web pages. I used a program which had a 30 day demo and a limit of 500 pictures so that's why I limited my search to a few days and even then I didn't get all of the images for each day. The program has a feature that allows for limiting of the file sizes and/or dimensions it searches for so I limited it to thumbnail sized images to speed up the process. I pointed the program at the POTD contest pages, one day at a time, and let it go. It took about 10 seconds per page to download the thumbnails. After that I moved them all into one folder and opened the folder in ThumbsPlus and did the similar image search.

If you were to do this once a day and only downloaded that days images it shouldn't take more than a few minutes at most to complete the entire process. ThumbsPlus can sort images in any order you like so if you sorted them by date you could remove anything older than 15 days with ease.

I could be wrong but I think Thumbs Plus has a 15 day demo if anyone wants to try it for themselves. Again... it's not fool proof but it should make searching for similar images much easier.

Sep 09 15 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Thanks for that explanation, that does help me to see how that program could be used.

Personally, I don't know that it's worth the effort to go through all of that to catch 15 day violators. It's kind of like the Police dept. spending time and resources to crack down on jaywalkers. smile

If an image is quite good and gets a good amount of votes, it will be remembered, if not by us then by observant users (who then generally report it to us if that good image is submitted again before 15 days)
If an image is not so great and gets hardly any votes, I just don't think it's that big of a deal if it gets submitted again in less then 15 days as it's really not going to have any impact on the contest - it's not going to take any votes away from other submissions.

But I'll pass this on to JoJo and see if she wants to try it out.

Thanks!

Sep 18 15 04:10 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Dean Johnson Photo wrote:
But I'll pass this on to JoJo and see if she wants to try it out.

Took a look - no thank you - IMHO it would be a large waste of time which I don't have enough of to begin with.

If someone sees a 15 day violation in the contest, just send me a CAM and it will go the way of the Dodo very quickly.

Sep 18 15 10:03 am Link

Photographer

SoftLights

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Jasmine 1969 wrote:
LOL!!! smile

Those damn keys are always were you least expect them.

Sep 18 15 10:36 am Link

Model

DLatrice

Fort Wayne, Indiana, US

May as well remove the 15 day rule because it does not work consistently and none of the moderators take the time to check themselves, yeah I know, they're SO busy and that's TOO many images to check. But why have a 'rule' that doesn't get enforced?

Sep 23 15 06:35 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

DLatrice wrote:
May as well remove the 15 day rule because it does not work consistently and none of the moderators take the time to check themselves, yeah I know, they're SO busy and that's TOO many images to check. But why have a 'rule' that doesn't get enforced?

The 15-day rule is enforced - we find and disqualify images that violate the rule every day.
There are also members that take the time to report 15-day violations to us and we remove them as quickly as possible.

If you see a 15-day violation in the contests, try reporting it via CAM rather than complaining about it wink

Sep 24 15 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Gustavo Escanelle

I Have seen 15 day violations and the next day, they win, WTF. the whole system is rig. Its been that way for a long time.

Sep 24 15 11:21 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Gustavo Escanelle wrote:
I Have seen 15 day violations and the next day, they win, WTF. the whole system is rig. Its been that way for a long time.

and did you report these violations? WTF... guess not, as you say they won. So, who's at fault here? wink

Sep 24 15 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Gustavo Escanelle

JoJo wrote:
and did you report these violations? WTF... guess not, as you say they won. So, who's at fault here? wink

Haha, you are so funny because I reported to you, instead, you said that there is nothing you can do about it. Yeah so WTF is right . The problem is that, there is so many moderators that does not do their jobs especially when its something simple. Instead, It gets shove off again and again.

Sep 24 15 12:02 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Gustavo Escanelle wrote:

Haha, you are so funny because I reported to you, instead, you said that there is nothing you can do about it. Yeah so WTF is right . The problem is that, there is so many moderators that does not do their jobs especially when its something simple. Instead, It gets shove off again and again.

Here's what I said to you Dec 28 14 12:54 pm:

Just checked my PMs - you have never written to me.
Just checked all your CAMs and found 1 pertaining to PotD disqualifications based on content.

All CAMs with legitimate complaints are handled quickly and if the complaint is legitimate then the image is removed within minutes.

and I just checked again... so I will say it again...
Just checked all your CAMs and found 1 pertaining to PotD disqualifications based on content.

There is no record of you ever reporting a 15-day violation.

Sep 24 15 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Gustavo Escanelle

JoJo wrote:

Here's what I said to you Dec 28 14 12:54 pm:
and I just checked again... so I will say it again...

There is no record of you ever reporting a 15-day violation.

This was in 2013, I am going to check my emails

Sep 24 15 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Perry Van Dongen

Today I did a check, just because I was curious, of how many duplicates there are for this year. I'm not criticizing anyone's ability to do their job because most of the duplicates are more than 15 days apart. Most of the ones that aren't more than 15 days apart are entered for 2 days in a row and I think what's probably happening there is that someone enters an image, they see it doesn't show up in the next days contest so they enter it again either thinking that the image was deleted or that they did something wrong and it wasn't entered. They don't know that it takes 2 days for their image to show up in the contest. I was fooled by that the first time I went looking for a duplicate too. The date on the image file and the date it shows up in the contest are 2 days apart.

I've only checked one gallery, the female 18+ contest entries, and since January 01, 2015 there have been a little over 14,000 entries. Out of those entries, 2,683 were duplicates. That's counting each individual image, not groups of duplicate images. Most of those were images that were entered 2 or 3 times. There were quite a few 4x entries, several 5x and 6x entries, and one image was entered 9 times.

I can understand wanting to enter what you think could be a winning image twice... but 9 times?

JoJo has informed me that the mods will soon have a better way to check for duplicates during the 15 day time span so hopefully it does the trick.  smile

Sep 26 15 01:00 am Link

Photographer

Flynns Fotos

San Mateo, California, US

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/205712

This image in the POTD 18+ F contest for 10/2/15  is truly memorable. So memorable I can recall seeing it posted on various sites I think as far back as 2006. A current tineye.com  search produces 3 hits from public photo sites in the past 3 years.

None of this rules out that the poster took the image himself and has personally posted it on multiple sites over the years. Nevertheless,  one does wonder.

Oct 02 15 12:24 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Flynns Fotos wrote:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/205712

This image in the POTD 18+ F contest for 10/2/15  is truly memorable. So memorable I can recall seeing it posted on various sites I think as far back as 2006. A current tineye.com  search produces 3 hits from public photo sites in the past 3 years.

None of this rules out that the poster took the image himself and has personally posted it on multiple sites over the years. Nevertheless,  one does wonder.

If you feel there is a problem... and have some sort of proof... send me a CAM and I will look into the problem.

Oct 03 15 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

So, are the moderators no longer bothering with the 15 day submission rule? And does it apply when the same photo is submitted with the only change being conversion from color to B&W?

I reported another duplicate recently and got a rude response from the moderator, but if you are going to have rules you should enforce them. Here is the most recent one I foiund. If I can detect these just from memory, your systems ought to be able to do a much better job of weeding these out IMO.

May 25th  https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/231785 18+

May 26 https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/231846 18+

May 28 https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/232107 18+

BTW, I took me a long time to go back in history to find this thread. Perhaps discussions specific to the ongoing contests ought to be pinned on the first page????

May 29 16 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Bellinger

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Opinions please following image  (see below) .. banned from Picture of the Day Contest .... as more suitable for 18+ ,,,, someone please tell me what I am missing ... as image was removed an got me brigged from future contest entries ...

Thank you

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/potd/ent … 38-big.jpg

Jul 24 18 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Bellinger wrote:
Opinions please following image  (see below) .. banned from Picture of the Day Contest .... as more suitable for 18+ ,,,, someone please tell me what I am missing ... as image was removed an got me brigged from future contest entries ...

Thank you

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/potd/ent … 38-big.jpg

I would say pubic area
Nothing below the Golden Triangle can show
Image Rules copy:

Images in Public Spaces

The elements provided below are not allowed in spaces considered “Public” on Model Mayhem, such as in the avatar space, on a profile page or in the forums. Any elements not listed here are permitted to be used in a public space.

Pubic area
        Also known as the bikini area, covered by average swimming bottoms, from the pubic bone down and from thigh to thigh
        Any area that would normally be covered by pubic hair

Jul 24 18 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Bellinger

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

JoJo ... know you are busy but ... trying to stop +18 discussion thread image from showing up in public google search ... have edited out from my post buy would appear that is still showing because is linked in your reply message ... sorry to have to bother you but at a loss as to cure without you.
Thank You
Wally b

link to image:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/547713/137

May 31 19 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Keith E Holmes

Penn Valley, California, US

I'm considering entering the PTOD contests again. I've had issues with submitting images that violate the rules. Is it possible to pre-submit an entry to the moderators to avoid accumulating dings for rules violations?

thanks

Keith Holmes

Feb 12 20 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Aktis Creative

Columbus, Ohio, US

I'm curious about watermarking images that are submitted to the contests.  If the images are posted without identifying information on the voting page, doesn't including a watermark on the image defeat the purpose?

May 12 20 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Erin Koski

Ojai, California, US

Keith E Holmes wrote:
I'm considering entering the PTOD contests again. I've had issues with submitting images that violate the rules. Is it possible to pre-submit an entry to the moderators to avoid accumulating dings for rules violations?

thanks

Keith Holmes

I'm so sorry for the delay in replying.  You can use the Contact a Moderator feature to ask in advance about an image if you're not sure which contest it belongs in.  I definitely encourage you to use this feature to avoid any issues with "mature" images submitted to the regular contest or vice versa.  smile 

Contact a Moderator:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/contactamod

May 23 20 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Erin Koski

Ojai, California, US

Aktis Creative wrote:
I'm curious about watermarking images that are submitted to the contests.  If the images are posted without identifying information on the voting page, doesn't including a watermark on the image defeat the purpose?

The contests do not have a requirement of anonymity.  If you click on any image to see it in larger size, the member who submitted the image will be shown beneath it.  Though I wasn't here when the contests were being designed, my guess is that is left off of the thumbnail voting page to keep it from looking cluttered or distracting.

May 23 20 10:14 am Link

Photographer

PowerVision

Maryland Heights, Missouri, US

Well, this is embarrassing....

I accidentally submitted a photo intended for the 18+ Women's into the 18+Mens contest by accident.   Any way to fix that?

Thanks in advance (I said sheepishly)

Jun 06 21 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

AE Photography

Quartzsite, Arizona, US

PowerVision wrote:
Well, this is embarrassing....

I accidentally submitted a photo intended for the 18+ Women's into the 18+Mens contest by accident.   Any way to fix that?

Thanks in advance (I said sheepishly)

Contact a mod works well, I've submitted images to the wrong contest and the mods are always helpful

Jun 12 21 12:10 pm Link