Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Honestly, at 22 should I keep trying?

Model

Sarah M Model

Preston, England, United Kingdom

I never really considered being a model- people sometimes mentioned it to me but I never thought anything of it. Then at 21 I got scouted by Elite Model Management in London, the guy went crazy for me, invited me to their offices, took some snapshots and said he'd be in touch. I then got told that because of my age (21 at the time) I was too old for high fashion and a little short. I actually felt a bit crushed! And since then I've been applying to agencies, I decided after mindlessly applying to stick to the area I live as I'm a student and it would be better for the agency to be local. I heard back from the only agency in my city, they do commercial and fashion models, actors, extras, promotional etc. They are supported by ALBA so I know they're legit but they said to me that they would have to put me in the promotional section because I don't have tear sheets. They said it doesn't mean that I wouldn't get put up for modelling jobs as well. That's fair enough but I haven't actually met them or signed anything and I wonder that they've sort of shoved me in the promo bit cause they don't think I'm good enough. I know it sounds silly and I should be happy but sometimes I just think, maybe I'm just not right for this! What do you guysthink? Do you all have these times?

Jan 24 10 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Seek a professional photographer, create some professional images, create a professional zed card and head shot
At 5' 8" and your measurements you should be suited for the modeling market

You have yet to eliminate the less then perfect images from your portfolio that were suggested to be removed in a previous thread

Jan 24 10 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Paul Tirado Photography

New York, New York, US

Lee_Photography wrote:
Seek a professional photographer, create some professional images, create a professional tear sheet and head shot
At 5' 8" and your measurements you should be suited for the modeling market

You don't so much as create a tear sheet as you get an assignment/shoot that leads to a tear sheet. I mean you can create a fake magazine magazine page but that is not a tear sheet but rather a fake magazine page.

Back to the issue as stated by the OP, I like your look - great bone structure with a bit of X factor. Now it true, however, that agencies prefer their fashion models 5'9''+ and 16 years old but you should keep trying but remember that rejection is all part of the game.

Jan 24 10 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Paul Tirado Photography wrote:
You don't so much as create a tear sheet as you get an assignment/shoot that leads to a tear sheet. I mean you can create a fake magazine magazine page but that is not a tear sheet but rather a fake magazine page.

Correct change tear to zed card

https://modelmayhm-5.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090704/14/4a4fc30ff0745_m.jpg

This would not be an image to include

Jan 24 10 08:03 am Link

Model

Sarah M Model

Paul Tirado Photography wrote:

Yeah. I think I was kinda hoping they'd put me straight on the main board... I feel like because I haven't signed anything they don't have much faith that I'll get work... I don't know, maybe they wait til they have some work lined up for me before they get me to sign contracts?

Jan 24 10 08:05 am Link

Photographer

James The Photographer

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Liz M Model wrote:
I never really considered being a model- people sometimes mentioned it to me but I never thought anything of it. Then at 21 I got scouted by Elite Model Management in London, the guy went crazy for me, invited me to their offices, took some snapshots and said he'd be in touch. I then got told that because of my age (21 at the time) I was too old for high fashion and a little short. I actually felt a bit crushed! And since then I've been applying to agencies, I decided after mindlessly applying to stick to the area I live as I'm a student and it would be better for the agency to be local. I heard back from the only agency in my city, they do commercial and fashion models, actors, extras, promotional etc. They are supported by ALBA so I know they're legit but they said to me that they would have to put me in the promotional section because I don't have tear sheets. They said it doesn't mean that I wouldn't get put up for modelling jobs as well. That's fair enough but I haven't actually met them or signed anything and I wonder that they've sort of shoved me in the promo bit cause they don't think I'm good enough. I know it sounds silly and I should be happy but sometimes I just think, maybe I'm just not right for this! What do you guysthink? Do you all have these times?

I think you just need better pictures and find your niche...whether it be runway, print, catalog, video or event modeling.  Figure out exactly what you want to do model wise...and then go after that.  I saw a show recently on TV where identical female twins were models.  One twin had a fierce model attitude, while the second one had a meek subdued disposition.  Guess who they picked? ...you got it,  "the first twin".  If you were in Florida, I'd do your pictures for free.

Ask yourself, how serious "am I" about modeling?  Do you spent a good deal of your time, energy and money in the pursuit of being a better model?  Do you study super-models, model magazines, fashion publications and industry published items to learn your craft?  Do you have a top notch portfolio and good pictures, comp or zen cards, a website and business cards?

Good luck and keep smiling!

Jan 24 10 08:23 am Link

Model

ChristieBModel

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I think you have a great look, but are a little timid/scared-looking in front of the camera. Work on the confidence and keep trying to make it as a model. smile

Jan 25 10 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

Los Angeles, California, US

fully disagree with the advice being given here.

the reason they were excited about you is because agents are egomaniacal and get off on "discovering" new models more than anything else.

don't start revamping your portfolio, and don't make your own comp/zed cards.  have a friend snap some polaroids, and go back to agencies claiming to have never modeled before in your life.  say you're 19.  try many agencies--large and small.  it's often better to be a big fish in a small pond.  elite has a massive model roster and it's easy to get lost and not book.

once you get signed and they send you out to a few castings, you can start leaking photos back into your portfolio, and they'll applaud your ambition.

Jan 25 10 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Chanel Rene

Huntington Beach, California, US

Brian Ziff wrote:

the reason they were excited about you is because agents are egomaniacal and get off on "discovering" new models more than anything else.

don't start revamping your portfolio, and don't make your own comp/zed cards.  have a friend snap some polaroids, and go back to agencies claiming to have never modeled before in your life.  say you're 19.  try many agencies--large and small.  it's often better to be a big fish in a small pond.  elite has a massive model roster and it's easy to get lost and not book.

once you get signed and they send you out to a few castings, you can start leaking photos back into your portfolio, and they'll applaud your ambition.

+1
I know a few models that have done this and are now working fairly consistently. smile

Jan 25 10 10:11 am Link

Model

Rosanna - D

London, England, United Kingdom

Brian Ziff wrote:

Completely agree with this. I'm a London agency model and I can tell you now that EVERYBODY lies about something! Most girls say they're younger, some say they're older, lots say they're taller, and girls like me have to say we're shorter for the commercial clients.

Take some snapshots/polaroids with as little make up as possible - just mascara and a bit of concealer around the eyes. Some people will say wear no make up at all but nobody does this - you'll just look washed out.

In your photos just wear skinny jeans and a vest. Don't in anyway try to look 'glamorous' or anything like that. You need to look as young as possible. Go to the big agency sites like Elite, Storm etc. and look at the polaroids they've taken of their girls. These are the sort of poses you want. And take the photo by a window so it's natural light!

If you really want to make a go of modelling you really need to try London agencies. You just won't get the quantity or quality of work elsewhere. I'd say go and see them rather than emailing pictures, and tell them you're 19 and have NEVER done modelling! They like to think they've discovered something new smile

If the big agencies say you're too 'commercial' try somewhere like MOT. Commercial doesn't mean restricting yourself to local agencies!

Hope this helps smile x

Jan 25 10 11:32 am Link

Model

Sarah M Model

Wow you guys really think I should lie? I heard that when (if) they sign you up they ask for ID and stuff... is this not true? I do think I have a baby face for my age, or else why would he have scouted me! He really made me think I had an awesome look and then just emailed a few days later saying I have a great personality but its a no lol. At the time I knew nothing about the modelling world and I didn't realise being 21 was such a bad thing- how stupid was I!

Jan 25 10 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Rank

Orlando, Florida, US

Brian Ziff wrote:

Damn,
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Jan 25 10 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Rank

Orlando, Florida, US

Liz M Model wrote:
Wow you guys really think I should lie? I heard that when (if) they sign you up they ask for ID and stuff... is this not true? I do think I have a baby face for my age, or else why would he have scouted me! He really made me think I had an awesome look and then just emailed a few days later saying I have a great personality but its a no lol. At the time I knew nothing about the modelling world and I didn't realise being 21 was such a bad thing- how stupid was I!

Girl the entire fashion industry is based on lies big and small. Don't give it a second thought!

Jan 25 10 12:16 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Quela Renee

Tehachapi, California, US

Brian Ziff wrote:

this is all you need! I co-sign this

Jan 25 10 12:19 pm Link

Model

Sarah M Model

ok I'll do it! smile Thanks guys. If I post the snapshots in my port will you let me know what you think? And then I'll go to some agencies and send some off

Jan 25 10 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Liz M Model wrote:
.... commercial .......extras, promotional etc.

Right where you belong....unless you also want to do art nudes or glamour. LOL!

Jan 25 10 01:26 pm Link

Model

Sarah M Model

R Michael Walker wrote:

Right where you belong....unless you also want to do art nudes or glamour. LOL!

i don't get what you mean?

Jan 25 10 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

follow your dream - the hell with everyone else

Jan 25 10 01:40 pm Link

Model

Tesseliza

Salem, Oregon, US

you will get a thousand no's before you get a yes. transfer schools to a bigger city.or you wont be seen.

Jan 25 10 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Joe DP

Los Angeles, California, US

The worlds of photography and modeling are greatly expanding at the moment.

You are beautiful and if you really want a place in that world I'm sure you will find it smile

Jan 25 10 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Liz M Model wrote:

http://models.com/spotlight/?p=1009
I scouted her a couple of days after she had turned 22 that was almost 3 yrs ago.
She just shot the cover of Marie Clare , Elle , Coach etc. since then ...

Jan 25 10 02:41 pm Link

Model

Sarah M Model

If anyone's interested, I have put the pics onto my profile so you can let me know if they're suitable. Just me stood from front, side, full length etc. Thanks

Jan 25 10 02:56 pm Link

Model

E R I N _

San Francisco, California, US

Liz M Model wrote:
If anyone's interested, I have put the pics onto my profile so you can let me know if they're suitable. Just me stood from front, side, full length etc. Thanks

Hi Liz, if I were you, I'd redo the portrait photos near a window in natural light. The room lighting there doesnt make for a clear photo of you, and doesnt seem to do you justice. Hmm... The full body one looks compressed or stretched out... something's odd about it.
Check out Megan Black's for an example of some awesome snapshots
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st11984574

Jan 25 10 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

ESCALANTE wrote:
http://models.com/spotlight/?p=1009
I scouted her a couple of days after she had turned 22 that was almost 3 yrs ago.
She just shot the cover of Marie Clare , Elle , Coach etc. since then ...

Three years ago you scouted her when she was 22.

She is now 23.

I need some of that math as I am getting too old.

OP:  Go to some agencies and tell them, as Ziff said, that you are 19.

Jan 25 10 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Liz M Model wrote:

They are not suitable.

Go to Vogue_Junkie's MM portfolio.  Get yourself into a two piece swim and shoot similar to V_J's

Jan 25 10 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Digitoxin wrote:

Three years ago you scouted her when she was 22.

She is now 23.

I need some of that math as I am getting too old.

OP:  Go to some agencies and tell them, as Ziff said, that you are 19.

You should know better then to question a women's age in public , dork ! wink

Jan 25 10 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Pixel Fist

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

You look like serious potential to me.  'My $0.02

Jan 25 10 08:40 pm Link

Model

Sarah M Model

OK thanks guys. But suppose they DID take me on, wouldn't they take my ID when they're sorting out all the financial info and then I'd be found out?!?!?!

Jan 26 10 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Liz M Model wrote:
OK thanks guys. But suppose they DID take me on, wouldn't they take my ID when they're sorting out all the financial info and then I'd be found out?!?!?!

You would be extremely surprised who many 19 year olds that agencies list are actually 22.  If you look 19, they will pretend not to notice what your birthdate is.  Oh, and your agent will have NO problem telling all the clients that you are 19 either.

Jan 26 10 04:17 pm Link

Model

Sarah M Model

Digitoxin wrote:

You would be extremely surprised who many 19 year olds that agencies list are actually 22.  If you look 19, they will pretend not to notice what your birthdate is.  Oh, and your agent will have NO problem telling all the clients that you are 19 either.

OK I'll give it a go... Do you think I stand a chance?

I notice that Agyness Deyn said she was 19 when she was actually 21! If you look at her modelling career profile it says she was scouted in 2004, but yet in 2009 she is stated at 26!!

http://www.hellomagazine.com/profiles/agyness-deyn/

Interesting...

Jan 27 10 03:29 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Digitoxin wrote:

Liz M Model wrote:
OK I'll give it a go... Do you think I stand a chance?

I notice that Agyness Deyn said she was 19 when she was actually 21! If you look at her modelling career profile it says she was scouted in 2004, but yet in 2009 she is stated at 26!!

http://www.hellomagazine.com/profiles/agyness-deyn/

Interesting...

It would be unfair of me to tell you that you "have a chance" for the simple reason that I am not a booker.  You have the stats and you have a good look.  You already attracted the attention of one booker (that is good).  The ONLY way you will know if you have a chance is to get yourself out there.  GO to some agencies and see.  At 19, you are a great age! smile

Good luck.

Jan 27 10 03:35 am Link

Model

Sarah M Model

Digitoxin wrote:

Digitoxin wrote:

It would be unfair of me to tell you that you "have a chance" for the simple reason that I am not a booker.  You have the stats and you have a good look.  You already attracted the attention of one booker (that is good).  The ONLY way you will know if you have a chance is to get yourself out there.  GO to some agencies and see.  At 19, you are a great age! smile

Good luck.

Hahaha oh I feel so young! I will do that and will let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the help smile

I just wish that when I got scouted by Elite I'd known enough about the modelling world to lie about my age! It was so obvious how much he changed his tune when I said I was 21!

Jan 27 10 03:37 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Digitoxin wrote:

Digitoxin wrote:

Good luck.

Liz M Model wrote:
Hahaha oh I feel so young! I will do that and will let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the help smile

I just wish that when I got scouted by Elite I'd known enough about the modelling world to lie about my age! It was so obvious how much he changed his tune when I said I was 21!

Great!

The modeling industry is littered with harmless little white lies.  While it is true that an agency wants to get young girls as new faces (so they have more time to develop them), if you look 19 and you also have a look that is marketable to their clients, your actual age is not especially relevant.   You are a new face and they would love it if you were 17 for real.  If you were more established, it would matter much less.  Just fib a little and see what happens.  Oh, and when you do go to the agency, remember, there is normally a BIG maturity difference between a 19 year old and a 21 year old (college freshman to college senior).  Be TOTALLY professional but every now and then and just for a second, "act" 19.  And, whatever you do, don't ask the booker out for a drink at the pub..... that would be a sure tipoff! smile  (assuming the drinking age is 21 in the UK).

Jan 27 10 03:46 am Link

Model

Sarah M Model

Digitoxin wrote:

Digitoxin wrote:

Digitoxin wrote:

Good luck.

Great!

The modeling industry is littered with harmless little white lies.  While it is true that an agency wants to get young girls as new faces (so they have more time to develop them), if you look 19 and you also have a look that is marketable to their clients, your actual age is not especially relevant.   You are a new face and they would love it if you were 17 for real.  If you were more established, it would matter much less.  Just fib a little and see what happens.  Oh, and when you do go to the agency, remember, there is normally a BIG maturity difference between a 19 year old and a 21 year old (college freshman to college senior).  Be TOTALLY professional but every now and then and just for a second, "act" 19.  And, whatever you do, don't ask the booker out for a drink at the pub..... that would be a sure tipoff! smile  (assuming the drinking age is 21 in the UK).

Haha! The drinking at is actually 18... but I wouldn't anyway cos, as a 19 year old, I wouldn't ask someone much older than me to the pub! Lol. I'm not too sure how to act 19... just quite naive? shy (but not in front of the camera)? Lol

Jan 27 10 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Liz M Model wrote:
Haha! The drinking at is actually 18... but I wouldn't anyway cos, as a 19 year old, I wouldn't ask someone much older than me to the pub! Lol. I'm not too sure how to act 19... just quite naive? shy (but not in front of the camera)? Lol

My guess is that there is some "lingo" -- a word or a phrase that "teens" use that a 20-something would not.  If you have a little sister (or a cousin) that is 17-19, listen to the way they phrase things.... that will be a clue.

Don't over-worry this point however.  It is far better to be yourself (and be 19) than to try to be an actor in front of the booker -- he/she will see through it.  DON'T over play it........  Just tell them you are 19 and don't sweat the rest.

Jan 27 10 04:01 am Link

Model

Sarah M Model

Does anyone know how long it usually lasts with open call? I know most places hold open call between 10 and 12 on weekdays, but if I'm gonna go up to London I'd like to get as many calls in as I can so I don't have to make too many journeys without knowing if I'm gonna get signed by anyone.

Jan 28 10 03:58 am Link

Model

Rosanna - D

London, England, United Kingdom

Liz M Model wrote:
Does anyone know how long it usually lasts with open call? I know most places hold open call between 10 and 12 on weekdays, but if I'm gonna go up to London I'd like to get as many calls in as I can so I don't have to make too many journeys without knowing if I'm gonna get signed by anyone.

Most of them are 10 - 12 or 10 -2 or 2 -4.

Use models.com to make a list of agencies and their addresses and times. Some are in East London so I'd say it'll take a minimum of 2 days.

Jan 28 10 04:42 am Link

Model

Sarah M Model

Rosanna - D wrote:

Most of them are 10 - 12 or 10 -2 or 2 -4.

Use models.com to make a list of agencies and their addresses and times. Some are in East London so I'd say it'll take a minimum of 2 days.

Ohhh right ok, so if I go to open call it'll last for the full 2 hours? Do you know what kind of things they do there?

Jan 28 10 04:59 am Link

Model

Sarah M Model

OK loads of people on here are now telling me I should NOT lie about my age... I don't know what to do! I feel like, if I walk in there and say I'm 22 it'll basically be over before its even started. But if I lie... and they find out later on... I could be in big trouble. sad

Jan 28 10 05:45 pm Link

Model

Eva Vegas

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ARE YOU JOKING????  they said u were too old??!!!  what do they want F-ing 10 year old girls modeling now??  ... well yeah i guess they do whats that new victoria secret model they have working now... she looks 12! its rediculous!

Jan 29 10 12:25 am Link